Unofficial HDHomeRun DVR repository for RPM based systems

Downloads & Instructions
gtb
Expert

Re: Unofficial HDHomeRun DVR repository for RPM based systems

Post by gtb »

henny156 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:28 am ... It works now!!!!
Well, while I would have liked to better understand why things were not working for you, all is well that ends well, so thanks for the update.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

brianmsu80 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:07 pm Here is how I was able to get this to work while still using firewall in Red Hat / Fedora / CentOS.
I'll note that the (current) RPM creates a firewall port rule which corresponds to the record engines port (which is set in the config file), and then opens the port when the recorder is started. It is approximately equivalent to the windows application port openings.

brianmsu80

Post by brianmsu80 »

To be clear.... just opening the ports were not enough for me. In order to keep firewalld running and have things work correctly, I also the added the MAC address of the HDHomeRun PRIME device into the firewall rich rule.

Code: Select all

sudo firewall-cmd --add-rich-rule 'rule family="ipv4" source mac="xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" accept' --zone=home --permanent
*Where "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" is the MAC address of your HDHomeRun PRIME.

brianmsu80

Post by brianmsu80 »

I was wondering if you have updated this to the HDHomeRun RECORD version 20171221.
Either it hasn't been updated yet or something is wrong on my system.
Just trying to figure out which it is. Appreciate you maintaining this.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

brianmsu80 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:48 am I was wondering if you have updated this to the HDHomeRun RECORD version 20171221.
I (a few days ago) finally got around to updating this. There was no "release"/"change" notes indicating the code actually changed (for all I know it was a cosmetic version display change), so I missed it (I only tend to update when the change log indicates a change).

rolf

Post by rolf »

Howdy,

I'm running Mageia release 6 (Official) for x86_64 with kernel 4.14.30-desktop-3.mga6

I bought this years ago (from the web page in Seamonkey, on my LAN http://192.168.1.115/):
HDHomeRun EXTEND
Model: HDTC-2US
Device ID: 105097E2
Firmware: 20150826

In order to tune and make recordings in an, otherwise, straightforward, simple process with kaffeine, I've been following a modified version of this howto: http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=94287.0 However, the kernel modules build step began to fail with kernels newer than about 4.6.7 https://github.com/h0tw1r3/dvbhdhomerun/issues/8 After almost a year of keeping one machine on an old kernel in order to be able to use this process, I've given it up. I came across your project today.

Mageia is a descendant of Mandrake and we use its urpm* family of RPM wrappers, so I'm not able to use the installation instructions for your packages that I see, here. I have some experience building from source but don't see that type of code in your github repo. Building rpms is not something I've learned. Do you see a way for me to install your HDHomeRun DVR software?
Thanks.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

You most likely want to follow the Linux manual setup instructions at viewtopic.php?p=318401#p318401.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

jasonl wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:25 pm You most likely want to follow the Linux manual setup instructions at viewtopic.php?p=318401#p318401.
Agreed.

FWIW, since it is an RPM based packaging solution, if someone wants to contribute Mageia specific stanzas for the SPEC file (so that RPMs could be built) via a github issue/pull request I think it could be added, but I admit that since (at least in my location) Mageia is not in the top distros, I am not likely to do such work myself.

rolf

Post by rolf »

OK, thanks, folks. I'll follow along over there.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

Summary of changes on 2018/06/28 that are user visible:
  • Support for (latest) openSUSE (Leap & Tumbleweed). The Leap repo *should* work for SLES 15.0, but since I do not have a license SLES is untested.
  • The instructions have been updated on the first post to simplify future maintenance for repository management.
  • The firewall definitions have been updated to properly support tuner discovery responses when using firewalld.
  • Changes to the packaged scripts so as to not restart the record engine at upgrade (this avoids interrupting ongoing recordings and viewing, at the cost of requiring one to restart the engine at a convenient time (an RFE was previously submitted to be able to request information from the running engine to better coordinate upgrades, but for now it may require manual action at a record engine idle time)).
Additional details of the changes can be examined in the github repo commit logs.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

Note: There was a minor edit of the initial URLs for the repo locations. This is recommended for certain future AWS changes. There is no need to change existing setups.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

A small heads up for users of my repos (no actual action required, just a heads up)

For a long time on linux systems /var/run and /run have been aliased, with more recent filesystem definitions stating that /var/run is deprecated in favor of /run. Some distros are now complaining about the use of /var/run rather than /run, so I will be changing the default configurations to specify /run. However, there is no clean way to change the home directory of the record engine user while it is running, so while any future upgrade to a newer hdhomerun-record version will attempt to change the home directory of the hdhomerun user to be /run if it is currently /var/run, it will not succeed on an update with an actively running record engine. Eventually for major distro version upgrades (when all services should normally be shutdown) the change should happen, but if you wish to allow the change now, shutdown the record engine service before upgrading at some point, or modify the home directory of the hdhomerun user yourself.