HDHR5 models?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
jasonl
Silicondust

Re: HDHR5 models?

Postby jasonl » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:50 pm

Just a bit later.

raczyk

Postby raczyk » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:37 pm

I'm interested in the HDHR5. I'm in Canada and have the HDHR2 feeding off a OTA antenna.

My question for a TV guide, does one have to subscribe to a monthly paid service?
If I buy two HDHR5, do I need to guide subscriptions?
Will the HDHR5 work without a guide?

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:54 pm

24 hour guide provided free of charge through the HDHR app; 2 weeks' guide data provided with DVR software subscription.

No guide is necessary to actually use the hardware, as you can use other guide services and software for viewing/recording.

raczyk

Postby raczyk » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:15 am

24 hour guide provided free of charge through the HDHR app; 2 weeks' guide data provided with DVR software subscription.

No guide is necessary to actually use the hardware, as you can use other guide services and software for viewing/recording.
What other guide services/software are available for recording future shows? I assume with the 24 hour guide provided via SiliconDust you won't be able to record shows every week for several months?

life_speed@yahoo.com

Postby life_speed@yahoo.com » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:05 am

What other guide services/software are available for recording future shows? I assume with the 24 hour guide provided via SiliconDust you won't be able to record shows every week for several months?
I use https://emby.media software media client/server software. It is extremely capable and supports many devices from PC to android and iOS, as well as several "stick" devices like Amazon Fire and Roku. It can DVR and stream all your media inside the home and outside on the internet. For guide data I use http://www.schedulesdirect.org/ at $25/yr. Most DVR software can make use of Schedules Direct data.

That said, I understand SD has DVR software of their own which may be worth checking out. I don't have personal experience with it, but I love SD network tuner hardware.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:41 am

I assume with the 24 hour guide provided via SiliconDust you won't be able to record shows every week for several months?
We provide 14-day guide for recording TV ($35/year).

The free 24-hour guide is for live TV viewing.

Nick

raczyk

Postby raczyk » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:19 pm

Thanks life_speed@yahoo.com, I'll check those options out for a guide.
I assume with the 24 hour guide provided via SiliconDust you won't be able to record shows every week for several months?
We provide 14-day guide for recording TV ($35/year).

The free 24-hour guide is for live TV viewing.

Nick
Nick is this monthly service per device? I'm thinking of ordering two hdhr5's for my home. Also heard you have a lifetime subscription available?

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:23 pm

I use Schedules Direct for my guide data. $25/yr, and 2-3 weeks of guide data depending upon the channel. (Gracenote is the actual upstream provider of guide data for both SiliconDust and Schedules Direct, but Schedules Direct API provides richer and more extensive data than that made available by SiliconDust.)

For recording, I use Tvheadend. It is free software, but can be "expensive" in the effort needed to configure it and learn its way of doing things. (However, once it's setup, it runs nearly rock solid.) Its "Autorecs" are regex-based recording rules that combine the features TiVo's "Season Passes" with their ability to schedule recordings based upon actors, directors, genre, etc. You can also selectively choose when to transcode, and which formats to use. Coupled with the Kodi PVR client, it manages to replicate most of the missing experience from STBs to give it WAF.

As for 24 hours of guide data from SiliconDust: that is the default for live viewing and provided to every HDHR client. If you purchase the DVR subscription, you get 2 weeks of guide data and the ability to record with their software. You cannot record using SiliconDust's DVR software without the purchased subscription.

You only need to purchase the subscription once. It encompasses all of the HDHR devices on the same local network that the DVR software runs on. It is a yearly subscription, not available on a monthly or permanent basis.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:04 pm

Nick is this monthly service per device? I'm thinking of ordering two hdhr5's for my home. Also heard you have a lifetime subscription available?
Per household - you can run any number of HDHomeRun tuners on the same account.

We don't currently have a lifetime option.

Nick

LFletcher

Postby LFletcher » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:49 am

Any more updates on the UK release time frame?

Are you planning to release the Duo and Quatro at the same time or will they be released separately?

Sev

Postby Sev » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:41 am

Aw man! The QUATRO is already sold out on the Best Buy website. :(
They are in stock at B&H.

I got my duo there during cyber Monday.

Sev

Postby Sev » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:11 am

A site called Provantage has 1559 in stock.

Price: $122.20

fecaleagle

Postby fecaleagle » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:06 pm

Are there any plans for an Extend Quatro? I currently run two Extends off of a single antenna, but I would like to upgrade to a single Quatro, but I really love the Extends for my Sony Android TVs, which have struggled with MPEG-2 TS in the past.

Somewhat related to this question, can anyone more knowledgeable speak to the nature of signal strength drop associated with a 4-tuner box vs two 2-tuner boxes on a 2-way splitter? What I am getting at is whether, for example, a 4-tuner box provides 25% of the incoming signal strength to each tuner, similar to the way that four single-tuner boxes on a 4-way splitter would each receive 25% of the incoming signal strength. Does a Quatro manage the signal distribution based on the number of tuners in use? So, with a Quatro, when a single tuner is in use, does that tuner receive 100% of the incoming signal strength, or does it always receive 25% of the incoming signal strength?

Thanks!

life_speed@yahoo.com

Postby life_speed@yahoo.com » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:17 pm

Does a Quatro manage the signal distribution based on the number of tuners in use? So, with a Quatro, when a single tuner is in use, does that tuner receive 100% of the incoming signal strength, or does it always receive 25% of the incoming signal strength?

Thanks!
I can't know this for sure, but my guess is SD engineers will put the Low Noise Amplifier (LNA) before the splitter hence less noise figure than a passive splitter upstream of separate tuners.

I doubt Extends are the product of the future. Modern clients are only getting better, I would respectfully suggest making sure your network and clients can handle MPEG2, it is a modest requirement. ATSC 3.0 is not that far off, making a transcoding tuner something of a dead-end product.

fecaleagle

Postby fecaleagle » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:19 pm

I can't know this for sure, but my guess is SD engineers will put the Low Noise Amplifier (LNA) before the splitter hence less noise figure than a passive splitter upstream of separate tuners.

I doubt Extends are the product of the future. Modern clients are only getting better, I would respectfully suggest making sure your network and clients can handle MPEG2, it is a modest requirement. ATSC 3.0 is not that far off, making a transcoding tuner something of a dead-end product.
Fair enough regarding the future of the Extend. The driving factor behind this preference has been the inability of the Android TV Plex client to support direct playback of MPEG-2 TS, and the wish to avoid putting the burden of the transcode on my server. The network is entirely run on 10Gb-rated switches and cabling, and all clients that matter are connected via ethernet. Fortunately, the latest Android TV Plex betas finally support direct playback of MPEG-2 TS. After posting my initial question, it occurred to me that I should turn off transcode on the Extends and see how things go. Assuming all is well, I'd have no reservations about switching to a Connect Quatro.

Thanks so much for your reply. Perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree, depending upon a quick test for confirmation that the transcoding tuner boxes are no longer needed in my environment.

Edit: I am now able to direct play MPEG-2 TS. I'm definitely getting some motion artifacts, but this is making me feel like the Connect Quatro is on the table for us. It's still early days, so hopefully Plex will continue to improve playback before public release. Will spend some time mulling it over. ATSC 3.0 can't come soon enough, but widespread adoption from broadcasters is obviously another matter altogether.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”