NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by NYPlayer » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:23 pm

djp952 wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:07 pm
NYPlayer wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:56 pm
I have no problems adding timers.. Added quite a few this morning. Just added another.
Windows, Linux or Android? Just curious, but I think it's a Windows-only problem based on the code involved. Kodi has accepted the pull request regardless, so it shouldn't be a problem anymore -- someday!
Android (Shield)

otaku

Post by otaku » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:35 pm

Curious...

On my 2017 Shield when I close Kodi and reopen it - zuki.pvr loses all my "favorite grouped channels."

Krypton 17.3
kodi-17.3-zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-aarch64-1.1.0.6389

vjr

Post by vjr » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi. I've been using this client and loving it however I have a problem with these "Music Choice" channels I get from Comcast. They are channels that stream music along with a slide show of the musical artist being streamed. Each channel features a unique musical genre. Anyway I play anyone of these channels and it plays for a couple of seconds and then a spinner appears trying to adjust for some kind of drop in the stream, plays for another second or so, another spinner, rinse, repeat ad infinitium...

The SD python client does this too, ONCE, at the beginning and then it is fine.

I'm on the latest release. I see those debug logs in the other messages but no instructions on how to produce one. Are there instructions in the wiki? Forget it. I figured it out. Log is forthcoming.

Oh and I'm using latest stable libreelec x86_64.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:38 pm

otaku wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:35 pm
Curious...

On my 2017 Shield when I close Kodi and reopen it - zuki.pvr loses all my "favorite grouped channels."

Krypton 17.3
kodi-17.3-zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-aarch64-1.1.0.6389
The "Favorite Channels" group is controlled dynamically via your HDHomeRun Tuners. Any changes you make via Kodi will be forgotten about :(

Go to your tuner's IP address in a web browser, you'll find an option for "Channel Lineup". In here you can click on the little icon next to each channel to toggle between 3 states: Empty star = active channel, Yellow star = favorite channel, red x = disable channel. These values are sent across to the Kodi PVR from the tuner, which is how I populate the channel groups.

I've honestly never looked into trying to transfer this information in the other direction, like make a change in Kodi and set it on the tuner(s), but I imagine it's possible. It may even be provided in their code library :) I'll poke around and see what I can find, it would definitely be nice to be able to control these settings from Kodi.

(If you don't know your tuner IP address(es), hit http://my.hdhomerun.com/discover, they will be in the data returned from that URL -- for me, regular 'my.hdhomerun.com' isn't working right now, but that URL should give you what you need)

djp952

Post by djp952 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:45 pm

vjr wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:41 pm
Hi. I've been using this client and loving it however I have a problem with these "Music Choice" channels I get from Comcast. They are channels that stream music along with a slide show of the musical artist being streamed. Each channel features a unique musical genre. Anyway I play anyone of these channels and it plays for a couple of seconds and then a spinner appears trying to adjust for some kind of drop in the stream, plays for another second or so, another spinner, rinse, repeat ad infinitium...

The SD python client does this too, ONCE, at the beginning and then it is fine.

I'm on the latest release. I see those debug logs in the other messages but no instructions on how to produce one. Are there instructions in the wiki? Forget it. I figured it out. Log is forthcoming.

Oh and I'm using latest stable libreelec x86_64.
Hmmm; sounds like my stream implementation is getting hung up. I've been playing with a change to just wait until there is enough data to give Kodi exactly the amount it's asking for, that could be the root problem here. Consider Kodi asking for X amount of data and I give it X-128 (or something) because it wasn't ready yet -- it may detect that as a drop and buffer. I think the Python client uses the in-built Kodi functionality for streaming and I think that's how they handle it.

For a short-term test -- if you turn on the Advanced "Stream directly from tuner(s)" option in the PVR settings, that bypasses my stream implementation completely. If that solves it, I think we're on the right track - improvements in my stream code may be necessary.

Note about that option: You lose seek ability for Live TV, but the controls are still active so you can pause. The inability to seek is the nature of the beast for the direct tuner stream, the inability to stop you from trying is a bug in Kodi. I sent them a change request for this particular concern over the weekend.

I can use Kodi's stream implementation for Recorded TV and Live TV without seek support, but to support seek I had to roll my own. Apologies if it's the root cause here, but like all things it can probably be fixed!

vjr

Post by vjr » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:07 pm

djp952 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:45 pm

For a short-term test -- if you turn on the Advanced "Stream directly from tuner(s)" option in the PVR settings, that bypasses my stream implementation completely. If that solves it, I think we're on the right track - improvements in my stream code may be necessary.
Oh shoot. I forgot to mention that I had tried that and no it didn't work. One other thing..

Comcast also offers some other channels that are audio-only. They are just streams of local radio stations. No problem with those but there's not accompanying video. So maybe the "Music Choice" channel problems are with the video stream.

I'll produce that debug log as soon as I can.

otaku

Post by otaku » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:32 pm

The "Favorite Channels" group is controlled dynamically via your HDHomeRun Tuners. Any changes you make via Kodi will be forgotten about :(

Go to your tuner's IP address in a web browser, you'll find an option for "Channel Lineup". In here you can click on the little icon next to each channel to toggle between 3 states: Empty star = active channel, Yellow star = favorite channel, red x = disable channel. These values are sent across to the Kodi PVR from the tuner, which is how I populate the channel groups.

I've honestly never looked into trying to transfer this information in the other direction, like make a change in Kodi and set it on the tuner(s), but I imagine it's possible. It may even be provided in their code library :) I'll poke around and see what I can find, it would definitely be nice to be able to control these settings from Kodi.

(If you don't know your tuner IP address(es), hit http://my.hdhomerun.com/discover, they will be in the data returned from that URL -- for me, regular 'my.hdhomerun.com' isn't working right now, but that URL should give you what you need)
Perfect solution!

Thanks

djp952

Post by djp952 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:21 pm

otaku wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:32 pm

Perfect solution!

Thanks
Eh, sorry to disappoint you guys but upon investigation Kodi doesn't support this; it never notifies the PVR Client about channel group changes, it only reads them in.

It looks like to do what you want you have to make a custom Channel Group in Kodi, and as long as the name isn't the same as one provided by the PVR client ("SD Channels", "HD Channels", "Favorite Channels") it stores them internally. If you modify one of the existing ones it does get overwritten every time you start up. There is a Kodi option - "Synchronize Channel Groups with Backend(s)" that I tried out, and it prevents changes to the PVR groups from happening.

SO: To do what you want, I think you want to either A) use the tuner web page to set up your favorites, or B) turn off "Synchronize channel groups with backend(s)" and make the modifications to the "Favorite Channels" that way.

Sorry. Looks like I could still implement "Delete Channel" this way, but I think then I also have to implement 4 or 5 things we can't do yet. I'll check the rest of the options out, any extra features would be cool here, I would love to be able to disable channels from right inside Kodi. Kicking off a new channel scan for Primes would be nice too.

otaku

Post by otaku » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:59 pm

Eh, sorry to disappoint you guys but upon investigation Kodi doesn't support this; it never notifies the PVR Client about channel group changes, it only reads them in.

It looks like to do what you want you have to make a custom Channel Group in Kodi, and as long as the name isn't the same as one provided by the PVR client ("SD Channels", "HD Channels", "Favorite Channels") it stores them internally.
Actually, now that I know to create a custom name and Kodi will retain it I'm absolutely good. Pretty easy solution!

djp952

Post by djp952 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:16 pm

otaku wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:59 pm

It looks like to do what you want you have to make a custom Channel Group in Kodi, and as long as the name isn't the same as one provided by the PVR client ("SD Channels", "HD Channels", "Favorite Channels") it stores them internally.
Actually, now that I know to create a custom name and Kodi will retain it I'm absolutely good. Pretty easy solution!
Oh no, it's too late. Now I'm all about this :) There will be something. It may be convoluted and useless in the end but now it's a mission. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

NYPlayer

Post by NYPlayer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:40 pm

Is it Possible in a future release to separate the Movies from TVShows ... it makes the TV Recordings list long ... right now what I am doing is adding The Movies to the Regular KODI Movies and the Shows to the Regular TV Shows.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:37 pm

NYPlayer wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:40 pm
Is it Possible in a future release to separate the Movies from TVShows ... it makes the TV Recordings list long ... right now what I am doing is adding The Movies to the Regular KODI Movies and the Shows to the Regular TV Shows.
The PVR portion of Kodi has no access to the "Movies" and "TV Shows" areas specifically, they are actually special sections of the Videos library (as opposed to TV/Radio) and as you know just look at specific locations you set up.

What would you recommend for breaking out the Movies separately within the context of what you see in the TV area of Kodi? The RECORD engine does provide a category ("series", "movie", likely more I don't know) -- I could possibly put them in a 'Movies' folder rather than listing them separately, that would at least get rid of them from the main list. Such a thing should be relatively easy to do and could be completely optional. They would still be in Recordings, can't really help that, but not take up more than one slot?

edit: looks like there are 'movie', 'sport' and 'series' available. So could possibly also do something for "Sports" akin to "Movies"

edit 2: also looks like the RECORD engine output has been updated at some point just for this exact sort of thing. Perhaps it's even better to not make it optional at all, it seems like what SiliconDust intended.

italy333333

Post by italy333333 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:34 pm

I just wanted to extend a sincere thank you for the development on this application. It is kind of shocking how rudimentary some of the PVR frontends are and you have been gracious enough to make this add-on. The one issue I had, the main menu not saving my changes, was easily fixed by choosing the power/exit button instead of force closing, and now everything is working very well.

One thing that would be nice would be a faster sync for recorded programs, 5 minutes isn't bad but 30 seconds would be ideal I think. Not sure if that would create too much load though....

I encourage you to post your PayPal info, you spend your time on this and I think you deserve compensation!!

NYPlayer

Post by NYPlayer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:38 pm

djp952 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:37 pm
NYPlayer wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:40 pm
I could possibly put them in a 'Movies' folder rather than listing them separately, that would at least get rid of them from the main list. Such a thing should be relatively easy to do and could be completely optional. They would still be in Recordings, can't really help that, but not take up more than one slot?

edit: looks like there are 'movie', 'sport' and 'series' available. So could possibly also do something for "Sports" akin to "Movies"

edit 2: also looks like the RECORD engine output has been updated at some point just for this exact sort of thing. Perhaps it's even better to not make it optional at all, it seems like what SiliconDust intended.
This sounds great.

otaku

Post by otaku » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:46 pm

I agree!

This sounds great!