OLD: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

hpfalcon

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by hpfalcon » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:11 pm

thanks. I went to that url and only saw device id.

I do have a dvr subscription but I activated it after I installed the hdhomerun software. I just tried reinstalling the it (previously only tried reinstalling kodi), and it seems to be working now.

thanks for the help

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:23 pm

hpfalcon wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:11 pm
thanks. I went to that url and only saw device id.

I do have a dvr subscription but I activated it after I installed the hdhomerun software. I just tried reinstalling the it (previously only tried reinstalling kodi), and it seems to be working now.

thanks for the help
Awesome! Glad it's working now!!

masonpharmd

Post by masonpharmd » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:58 am

I just bought the DVR the other day and used the standard PVR and saw yours and like it better.

I was able to get everything running from your guide for my Android mbox. MUCH THANKS!!! :D :D :D :D :D
You have made cord cutting possible since none of the OTTV services carry local or network for that matter for my zip code.
Is there a .conf file that I can edit to get more of the usual 7 or 14 days of info for EPG into Kodi from my backend?
I am only using OTA broadcasts so the amount of data in the guide would not be an issue for my server.

Thanks a million for your work so far,

PS I would consider paying for a mod that would allow 14 days of EPG data from the backend to be visible.

pavlov70

Post by pavlov70 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:36 am

I wonder how much effort it would be to integrate Schedules Direct with this plugin. A subscription is only like $25 a year and data is generally pretty good. I used it successfully for over a year when I was running MythTV.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:14 pm

Oh alright guys :D

Full guide data = next priority!

lovemyram4x4

Post by lovemyram4x4 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:46 pm

pavlov70 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:36 am
I wonder how much effort it would be to integrate Schedules Direct with this plugin. A subscription is only like $25 a year and data is generally pretty good. I used it successfully for over a year when I was running MythTV.
I think it would possible to get this to work inside Kodi for live TV but there's no for use to use our own guide for the DVR since it's tied to our tuners and pulled from Silicon Dust.

I was also using Schedules Direct but with WMC as a backend and only was almost always correct if you reported something as being wrong they actually corrected, there's stuff that's been wrong since day one from Silicon Dust that still hasn't been fixed.

Everyday I regret switching over to hdhomerun DVR and what's even worse is now that Frontier took over Fios in my area they removed DRM from the hand full of channels that Verizon had it on(granted this could all change at anytime) so I don't even currently need the DRM support that I had made the change for but currently my biggest issue is with the firmware on the tuners so changing to something else won't do much good.
djp952 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:14 pm
Oh alright guys :D

Full guide data = next priority!
That would be awesome and aside from the obvious benefits it could even help with my lock ups, while it is much improved with last update it still happens but maybe with more guide data I won't need to d/l as often and hopefully not trigger the current issue with kodi or at least even less often.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:57 pm

Hi lovemyram4x4,

We have full guide data.

Please post on the forum or email support@silicondust.com when you see a problem - we have staff to correct channel matching and we can file a ticket with our provider if the guide is incorrect.

Nick

lovemyram4x4

Post by lovemyram4x4 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:46 pm

nickk wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:57 pm
Hi lovemyram4x4,

We have full guide data.

Please post on the forum or email support@silicondust.com when you see a problem - we have staff to correct channel matching and we can file a ticket with our provider if the guide is incorrect.

Nick
Full guide data is related to how much this add-on loads into Kodi.

As is goes for having staff that takes care of fixing things that are wrong that is not that case, the staff just ignores anything that is reported and if/when they actually take a look at they don't fix it. I've personally been reporting guide issue since I started using your DVR last summer (the main reason I didn't start using the DVR sooner was because the guide was so bad the early days, plus I was waiting for DRM). Luckily some of the channels got corrected for some other reason than me reporting them and someone actually responded to one of my threads i posted about guide data and fixed 1 channel but not all of them.

As file filing tickets, I've tried that also, the only ticket I got a response on was the one asking for a refund.

BTW Nick, what's going on with the tuners dropping issue? I reported it was till an issue with the firmware that was supposed to fix it and also asked if the one after had anything that might address it and guess what no response from staff.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:02 pm

lovemyram4x4 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:46 pm
That would be awesome and aside from the obvious benefits it could even help with my lock ups, while it is much improved with last update it still happens but maybe with more guide data I won't need to d/l as often and hopefully not trigger the current issue with kodi or at least even less often.
Actually it probably won't help your issue; I won't be storing the full guide data so as to not violate the terms of service. My intent is to load it realtime when kodi asks for it and never persist it. Essentially it will become an on demand thing, controlled by the Kodi EPG settings.

I'll still need some basic dynamic guide data in the database to satisfy all of the other things it's used for (channel names, icon urls, etc) so the fast 4 hour data discovery will still need to be triggered periodically in the background, which means whatever continues to go wrong for you is likely to still continue. Sorry!

This may be a non-starter anyway due to Kodi retaining the guide data in it's database. If it looks like the code will work well enough to move forward I'll still have to check with SD to make sure its cool.

lovemyram4x4

Post by lovemyram4x4 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:46 am

Yeah, forgot about their guide data terms which would limit what you could do. One would think that since this add-on is for using the hdhomerun DVR it wouldn't be an issue to allow special usage.

Ah the on demand guide data, I think I mentioned that would also be nice if possible. Are planning trying to only load for selected channel, channels showing in current view or all channels? Or since getting the data SD is pretty slow(loading the small amount we do now isn't much quicker than when I was loading days worth for WMC) here's any Idea you could first call for the selected channel then call more after.

Anyway it ends up even if we have to sit and wait a few min it's better to be able see something past what we can now if need to than not at all (for me personally I need to do this every weekend that being sports is airing races because sometimes they put their xtra show between races (which is often just part of the race or at least about he races) and since I don't care about all the showings of the series I have to go and manually check if they're listing them and if so manually set a one time recording.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:12 pm

RE: Full Guide Data

Well I have to say that loading all the guide data on demand (and I really meant 'when Kodi asks') works much better than I expected and much much better than I recall when I tried this the first time.

With 90 channels enabled and the default "3 days" setting for the Guide in Kodi, I get a full 4-day (it requests from 1 day in the past) guide load in just a few minutes. Obviously this will depend on your particular Internet and system speed, but that's totally tolerable! Kodi seems to not come back and ask for the same data again as long as you let it complete, it actually isn't asking for anything until I assume it hits the configured interval (120 minutes by default).

I'm actually thinking about dumping the old way completely and just switching over to this method; it simplifies some things a great deal and adheres to what Kodi expects from the PVR Client much better. Kodi handles all the settings, you would configure it how you please. A big bonus for the code is not having to insert guide entries for recording rule episodes so you see all the metadata -- I was already limiting that to the # of guide data days you set in Kodi anyway.

As mentioned, I still need to go get the quick 4 hour data periodically to satisfy channel metadata but ... and here's the part lovemyram4x4 will smile about ... I should never need to trigger EPG updates from the client side. So if our assumptions that the EPG triggers are what's locking his Kodi up are indeed correct that problem may disappear after all!

I'm going to PM Nick to see if SD has any reservations or concerns about handing all this EPG data over to Kodi's database while still not persisting it directly. My question for you folks is, pending an approval from SD, would you want to try this as an available option on the current PVR Client or does this sound promising enough to just gut out the current EPG implementation altogether? Seems like a great reason to finally increment that "1.0" part of the version number :)

Wordy as usual ... sorry. Think about it, let me know.

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Post by clarkss12 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:56 pm

Sounds GREAT!!!!

pavlov70

Post by pavlov70 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:46 am

The potential for 3 days of guide data sounds really exciting. Keep up the good work!

BTW do you plan on adding this to the official Kodi repo?

johnny_swindle

Post by johnny_swindle » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:30 pm

I have started encountering an interesting issue.....

Kodi 17.3 and Titian skin version 3.7.56

I can use the PVR client without issue and I use it right before bed. When I come back to use it early in the morning, I notice that all of my recordings are not present and the client won't work. This happens with all the PCs.

A simple restart of Kodi solves the issue.

Anyone else have this issue? Is the lease expiration (router) causing problems? I can set up a task via task scheduler to kill kodi and restart it at midnight if needed. But before I venture down this path, I though I would ask.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:35 pm

pavlov70 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:46 am
BTW do you plan on adding this to the official Kodi repo?
Currently I have no plans or ambition to attempt to make this an official Kodi PVR addon. Kodi already has a HDHomeRun PVR addon that I hope at some point brings in the necessary bits and pieces to work with the DVR service (this one is open source they are certainly welcome to poke around and use anything they find useful!)

Not to be too long-winded, but my major reservations are: 1) I feel it would be too hard to support that large of an audience on my own and 2) I didn't put this together in a way that is compatible with Kodi's software build processes.

I know of at least one gentleman that had ambitions to this end and his proposals for change to the official Kodi addon were met with a less than uplifting response. The Kodi team (like all development teams, this isn't a shot at them) can be hard to work with. I'm much happier being able to share and help out a smaller group of people than I would be getting into arguments with the Kodi folks!