QNAP QPKG for DVR Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
psuKinger
Device ID: 13254099; 13219F42

Re: QNAP QPKG for DVR Record Engine

Post by psuKinger »

Has anybody else that is using this QNAP record engine recently (last couple of weeks) started experiencing glitches / live tv streaming "freezes"?

I'm primarily streaming to NVidia Shield (5 of them, actually). And all of my gear (QNAP and all Shields) are hard-wired with ethernet. I'm experiencing it on more than 1 Shield.

I have no reason to believe/evidence that the problem is my QNAP and/or this install, and not the Shield... I'm also posting a similar question over on AVS Forums in a pretty active NVidia Shield thread... I've been using (and loving) this QNAP engine install for a while now, and I've been watching HDHR DVR on an NVidia SHield for almsot 18 months now, and this glitch/freeze issue is fairly recent/new...

Arative

Post by Arative »

psuKinger wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:16 am Has anybody else that is using this QNAP record engine recently (last couple of weeks) started experiencing glitches / live tv streaming "freezes"?

I'm primarily streaming to NVidia Shield (5 of them, actually). And all of my gear (QNAP and all Shields) are hard-wired with ethernet. I'm experiencing it on more than 1 Shield.

I have no reason to believe/evidence that the problem is my QNAP and/or this install, and not the Shield... I'm also posting a similar question over on AVS Forums in a pretty active NVidia Shield thread... I've been using (and loving) this QNAP engine install for a while now, and I've been watching HDHR DVR on an NVidia SHield for almsot 18 months now, and this glitch/freeze issue is fairly recent/new...
I don't believe it is related to the qnap package but the recording engine itself. I have the same issue but for recordings. My wife was watching the bachelor last night and several times, the picture froze, audio continued and then there was a tiling on the picture as it caught up. Its not just on the shield. I played it on the widows 10 app and vlc and the same issue occurred but less severe. I'm currently uploading the file to google drive to PM to Nickk.

demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by demonrik »

and to be clear..

the QNAP engine is exactly the same as the linux engine..
There is nothing specific to it.. just the QNAP package makes it easier to install.

Things that can affect performance however, so ensure nothing else running on your NAS is consuming resources like memory, network or disk which would starve the engine

Also - many of us have reported that the Shield since they introduced the Audio workaround is just unusable for Live with glitches, etc..
I suspect it's something to do with the Shield cores getting starved while doing the AC3 to PCM transcode that is now required and you get these 'stutters' where the video frames are dropped because the audio is out of whack.
In contrast I've rolled back to 20161205 and that seems to behave better for live, but has issues with recorded content where I get other glitches, and periodic moments where audio/video get out of sync.

If you are having any issues I suggest you do as @Arative is.. upload your recording somewhere and let SD know about the issue and see if they can figure out what is going wrong.
I keep meaning to do it too - but keep forgetting and end up deleting quicker :(

avdp

Post by avdp »

Arative wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:26 am I don't believe it is related to the qnap package but the recording engine itself. I have the same issue but for recordings. My wife was watching the bachelor last night and several times, the picture froze, audio continued and then there was a tiling on the picture as it caught up. Its not just on the shield. I played it on the widows 10 app and vlc and the same issue occurred but less severe. I'm currently uploading the file to google drive to PM to Nickk.
Do you have a thread on the forum on this topic? I'd love to monitor and chime in with my observations. In a nutshell, I too have noticed the behavior you describe on recordings while watching these recordings on Kodi. I've run a few of those recordings through tsdoctor, and there are definitely some corrupted frames in the transport stream. Whether these corruptions are introduced by the record engine, the tuner, the cable card, or the cable company itself I can't say.

shoman94

Post by shoman94 »

I've seen the freezing as well.... it's pretty rare for me though but still an issue.

tmm1

Post by tmm1 »

I'm curious if anyone noticed an issue with their QNAP's time being an hour off after the DST change last weekend?

I have a TS-251+ running QTS 4.2.3 and the time was incorrect until I manually hit update, even though it was set to automatically keep in sync and also had the right DST configuration.

There are isolated reports of similar bugs on the QNAP forums dating back to 2013, but it's unclear how widespread an issue it is.

321liftoff

Post by 321liftoff »

tmm1 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:33 am I'm curious if anyone noticed an issue with their QNAP's time being an hour off after the DST change last weekend?

I have a TS-251+ running QTS 4.2.3 and the time was incorrect until I manually hit update, even though it was set to automatically keep in sync and also had the right DST configuration.

There are isolated reports of similar bugs on the QNAP forums dating back to 2013, but it's unclear how widespread an issue it is.
I had issues with Daylight Savings Time a year or so ago, and probably found the same forum posts you did. I'm on a TS-219P+. With firmware version 4.2.1, it's working good for me. Control Panel -> System Settings -> General Settings -> Daylight Savings Time tab is enabled and shows the DST time window (2017/03/12, 02:00 ~ 2017/11/05 02:00), although if I remember correctly, this was also the case when it didn't work properly.

I'm also syncing with a time server every 12 hours: us.pool.ntp.org. Maybe this is helping to keep the time correct; I didn't check the time at 02:00 to see if the NAS adjusted, or if the NTP adjusted later with a sync.

Also, maybe double-check your firmware version, because it might have been a firmware upgrade that fixed it for me, I'm not sure.

darekd

Post by darekd »

tmm1 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:33 am I'm curious if anyone noticed an issue with their QNAP's time being an hour off after the DST change last weekend?

Same problem here. I have TS-653A and my automated DST switch didn't work either.

We are not alone :( : https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=104100

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Move to AZ.. We don't have these issues ;)

Arative

Post by Arative »

avdp wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:26 pm
Arative wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:26 am I don't believe it is related to the qnap package but the recording engine itself. I have the same issue but for recordings. My wife was watching the bachelor last night and several times, the picture froze, audio continued and then there was a tiling on the picture as it caught up. Its not just on the shield. I played it on the widows 10 app and vlc and the same issue occurred but less severe. I'm currently uploading the file to google drive to PM to Nickk.
Do you have a thread on the forum on this topic? I'd love to monitor and chime in with my observations. In a nutshell, I too have noticed the behavior you describe on recordings while watching these recordings on Kodi. I've run a few of those recordings through tsdoctor, and there are definitely some corrupted frames in the transport stream. Whether these corruptions are introduced by the record engine, the tuner, the cable card, or the cable company itself I can't say.
I was just going to use this thread
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=64259

Seems to be similar to what I've been seeing

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Removed - see OP for correct version and link
Last edited by demonrik on Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rew452

Post by Rew452 »

Does the new beta 20170406 require an update to Qnap?

Thanks
Rew

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

No update to the linux record engine - so no update required AFAIK.
Will dot he firmware update of my HDHRs later... and make sure nothing else needs updates ;)

321liftoff

Post by 321liftoff »

Dear demonrik,

Hoping you are able to provide us a new qpkg as you have done so well! Excited to try the resume feature!

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Hope to get it out late tonite..
My record engine is currently busy, so am waiting for quiet time to validate