QNAP QPKG for DVR Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Re: QNAP QPKG for DVR Record Engine

Post by demonrik »

netjrb wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:24 pm Hi demonrik,
Also, want to thank you for doing this.
Any chance we can get a release with the latest engine?
Looks like SD is on 20161117 and your last drop is on 20161107b.
Thanks again :D
According to change log there were no changes to the Linux DVR engine
viewtopic.php?p=280374#p280374
Just windows got a change..

netjrb

Post by netjrb »

Sorry my mistake, thanks again.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

just helping keep this topic active so it doesn't autodelete, but also just to remind folks that the engine according to the changelog from SD has not been updated since Oct 19th.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I don't have a qnap here but I was curious of it shows up correct on my.hdhomerun.com as being current because I believe on mine it didn't have the check that it was most recent until I updated so that may be where some of the confusion lies. In the past, if there wasn't an engine update I don't recall it modifying its version date.

psuKinger
Device ID: 13254099; 13219F42

Post by psuKinger »

So I downloaded the QPKG from the google share, and have it installed on my QTS. I can click on it and open it from my App Center within QTS.

Clearly I have something wrong though, as at the bottom if I hit "restart" my server I get the following message:
"HDHomeRun RECORD stop failed - access denied
HDHomeRun RECORD already running"

I don't know if the two things are related or not, but earlier on in the process I'd had trouble authenticating with the SSH id and password.

Anyone have any tips on what has gone wrong and how to fix it?

avdp

Post by avdp »

psuKinger wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:47 am So I downloaded the QPKG from the google share, and have it installed on my QTS. I can click on it and open it from my App Center within QTS.

Clearly I have something wrong though, as at the bottom if I hit "restart" my server I get the following message:
"HDHomeRun RECORD stop failed - access denied
HDHomeRun RECORD already running"

I don't know if the two things are related or not, but earlier on in the process I'd had trouble authenticating with the SSH id and password.

Anyone have any tips on what has gone wrong and how to fix it?
Nothing went wrong, it's just a known limitation due to security. To be able to stop/start/restart the server through the webapp, that server must be started by the webapp. So you'll have to stop the server through ssh first.

psuKinger

Post by psuKinger »

avdp wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:57 am
Nothing went wrong, it's just a known limitation due to security. To be able to stop/start/restart the server through the webapp, that server must be started by the webapp. So you'll have to stop the server through ssh first.
Forgive me, as this may be incredibly obvious to you... but I don't know how to "stop the server through ssh first"...?

Also, I *do* think something has gone wrong, as I'm not able to tune a channel now with the grey (DVR) app for AndroidTV.

And finally, I"m not sure if only the first post is being maintained updated, or if the subsequent 2 or 3 posts by the OP are also up-to-date, but the fourth post back on page 1 said:
Shutting down previous Record Engine
If you have already installed the record engine manually or via the SD installer and wish to use this project.
You MUST stop that record engine
Go to where ever the Record Engine is installed (SD installs to /share/HDHomeRun) and execute
'hdhomerun_record_engine stop'

In your install the Record Engine may have it's version appended to the filename.

---

Is that still accurate? I used the SD installer to install the DVR on my personal PC originally... and then I clicked that NAS box earlier today when I first started to try to do this... again, apologies, but if I need to, how do I execute
'hdhomerun_record_engine stop' in the SD installer location?

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

signcarver wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:41 am I don't have a qnap here but I was curious of it shows up correct on my.hdhomerun.com as being current because I believe on mine it didn't have the check that it was most recent until I updated so that may be where some of the confusion lies. In the past, if there wasn't an engine update I don't recall it modifying its version date.
yeah. it shows up with green tick. so is most current. but if you get latest download the version string is updated. until change log updates I don't want to create a new package just in case there is something lurking.
psuKinger wrote:
avdp wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:57 am
Forgive me, as this may be incredibly obvious to you... but I don't know how to "stop the server through ssh first"...?

Also, I *do* think something has gone wrong, as I'm not able to tune a channel now with the grey (DVR) app for AndroidTV.

And finally, I"m not sure if only the first post is being maintained updated, or if the subsequent 2 or 3 posts by the OP are also up-to-date, but the fourth post back on page 1 said:
Shutting down previous Record Engine
If you have already installed the record engine manually or via the SD installer and wish to use this project.
You MUST stop that record engine
Go to where ever the Record Engine is installed (SD installs to /share/HDHomeRun) and execute
'hdhomerun_record_engine stop'

In your install the Record Engine may have it's version appended to the filename.

---

Is that still accurate? I used the SD installer to install the DVR on my personal PC originally... and then I clicked that NAS box earlier today when I first started to try to do this... again, apologies, but if I need to, how do I execute
'hdhomerun_record_engine stop' in the SD installer location?
if you installed in Windows then you need to stop it there first. this is to prevent 2 engines being detected and confusing everything.
I don't know if that means just running the setup and indicating the DVR is NOT on this PC or if you have to remove..
note it can take a few mins for it to update on the my.hdhomerun.com when you change, so only do this when you have an hour or so you can wait for the system to stabilize.

to have the engine under control of the interface you need to SSH to your nas and login as admin user.
the execute the following to find out exactly where package was installed

Code: Select all

qcfg -g HDHomeRunDVR Install_Path -f /etc/config/qpkg.conf
should return something similar to

/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR
then execute the stop script with the following replacing <install_path> with the result from above

<Install_Path>/HDHomeRunDVR.sh stop
now you can start via the UI

psuKinger

Post by psuKinger »

demonrik wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:53 am
to have the engine under control of the interface you need to SSH to your nas and login as admin user.

then execute the stop script with the following replacing <install_path> with the result from above

Again, apologies, but I don't know how to "SSH to my QNAP NAS"... I've checked the manual (as I know many people on the internet don't try to help themselves before asking for help on forums), but it's incredibly short and lacks detail.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

psuKinger wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:21 pm
demonrik wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:53 am

Again, apologies, but I don't know how to "SSH to my QNAP NAS"... I've checked the manual (as I know many people on the internet don't try to help themselves before asking for help on forums), but it's incredibly short and lacks detail.
no worries

on your PC download an application called Putty and install
once installed you open and it will ask for the IP address of your NAS
enter it here and connect
it will ask for username - admin
and password - whatever you set up the admin user password as

you'll the be asked to accept the auth key from the NAS, do and your connected.

I do want to point out that you ONLY need to do this IF you want to control the start/stop/restart.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Would restarting nas be easier to stop the engine from the windows install or is he beyond that with anything your package does? (forgot where you were on autostart)

psuKinger

Post by psuKinger »

demonrik wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm no worries

on your PC download an application called Putty and install
once installed you open and it will ask for the IP address of your NAS
enter it here and connect
it will ask for username - admin
and password - whatever you set up the admin user password as

you'll the be asked to accept the auth key from the NAS, do and your connected.

I do want to point out that you ONLY need to do this IF you want to control the start/stop/restart.
OK good to know, and more apologies from me, because I didn't understand that this wouldn't possibly be the root of my problem.

Here's what I'm not fully sure of:
1) I switched back to my PC install using the HDHR Config. In order to tell it to stop using my PC, I'm going to open that back up, uncheck the PC box, and recheck the NAS... then I'll give it an hour or two, like you said.

2) So, now that that's done, I'm not sure exactly how far along I got with the "NAS Install" that was on the HDHR Config program... and it sounds like if I went far enough with that, I have some backtracking to do to undo what I did?

In the QNAP HDHR Application, I see:
The "Config File Location" is: /share/cachedev1_data/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR/HDHomeRunDVR.conf
The "record path" is: /share/Recordings/HDHomeRun DVR
The "port" is: 59090
And there's a big long storageid value I can post to if it's helpful?
So that's what the app is saying.

Now, if I instead just look at what is going on with my File Station, what I see is:
I created a folder called Recordings/HDHomeRun DVR, and that's where I want to put all the recordings.
There is also now a subfolder inside the "web" folder with the address: Web/HDHomeRunDVR.
And there is also a an HDHomeRun folder on the top level (with "Recordings" and "Web").

Any chance you can provide some insight on what of that I need, and what of that I need to *nuke*, in order to make this work?

EDIT - UPDATE
I actually think it's working!
I have a big "write" going on to my NAS right now that I don't want to stop (still kind of filling it full of all my media), so in about 3 hours I will shut the PC down and see if it's still working, but... I *think* I got it. Very cool, if true.
If you see anything above that I don't *need* and can just blow away, I'd still appreciate it. But I think there's a chance I"m no longer struggling to make this work, but rather just trying to clean up any mess I made while trying to get it installed.
And thanks so much!!!

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

psuKinger wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:02 pm 2) So, now that that's done, I'm not sure exactly how far along I got with the "NAS Install" that was on the HDHR Config program... and it sounds like if I went far enough with that, I have some backtracking to do to undo what I did?
The only thing on the windows PC to do is tell it to use NAS... don't actually use the NAS Install
In the QNAP HDHR Application, I see:
The "Config File Location" is: /share/cachedev1_data/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR/HDHomeRunDVR.conf
The "record path" is: /share/Recordings/HDHomeRun DVR
The "port" is: 59090
And there's a big long storageid value I can post to if it's helpful?
So that's what the app is saying.
Perfect
Now, if I instead just look at what is going on with my File Station, what I see is:
I created a folder called Recordings/HDHomeRun DVR, and that's where I want to put all the recordings.
There is also now a subfolder inside the "web" folder with the address: Web/HDHomeRunDVR.
And there is also a an HDHomeRun folder on the top level (with "Recordings" and "Web").
Also perfect :)
The Recordings/HDHomeRunDVR is where the recordings will be stored..
The Web/HDHomeRunDVR is a link to the interface your using to look at logs, etc.
EDIT - UPDATE
I actually think it's working!
I have a big "write" going on to my NAS right now that I don't want to stop (still kind of filling it full of all my media), so in about 3 hours I will shut the PC down and see if it's still working, but... I *think* I got it. Very cool, if true.
Sounds good - you can move all recordings from PC to the Recordings/HDHomeRunDVR and they should be found by the DVR engine. If not just check the permissions and make sure all can read/write
If you see anything above that I don't *need* and can just blow away, I'd still appreciate it. But I think there's a chance I"m no longer struggling to make this work, but rather just trying to clean up any mess I made while trying to get it installed.
And thanks so much!!!
You're welcome

henningdalgaard

Post by henningdalgaard »

I have a hdhomerun HDHR3-4DC and DVB-C TV provider.

Can I use this QPKG as a TV server, so I can use kodi (on fire tv) as a client to watch TV? Or am I missing the point of this software?

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

henningdalgaard wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:24 am I have a hdhomerun HDHR3-4DC and DVB-C TV provider.

Can I use this QPKG as a TV server, so I can use kodi (on fire tv) as a client to watch TV? Or am I missing the point of this software?
HDHomeRun DVR https://www.silicondust.com/dvr-service/ from SiliconDust does provide the ability to record TV from your HDHR3-4DC that you can then access via Kodi.
The purpose of this project is to provide an installer/wrapper for the HDHomeRun DVR backend from SiliconDust for QNAP NASes.