Blog: HDHomeRun Premium TV - the infrastructure that makes it work

Frequently Asked Questions
Casey

Re: Blog: HDHomeRun Premium TV - the infrastructure that makes it work

Postby Casey » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:18 pm

FS locals are always a longshot, because not only do we need to get the rights, but we have to develop the infrastructure to make them work. As you can tell, we've got some genius type folks sitting around happy to work on infrastructure, but the fact that it's more difficult than just regular national channels will always make it trickier.
Let hdhr deliver the national fox sports channels and provide creditentials for fox sports go app to deliver local regional fox sports. I know a certain other service did it this way while dealing with the headaches of regionals. $5 extra for a fox sports package with access to fsgo app, I think would be a hit.

shawn_75

Postby shawn_75 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:55 am

I've been curious how much stream processing can be done on the supplier end to save processing on the user end. This question applies to IP delivered content and also OTA. I have little to no understanding of the technology, but with millions of TVs out there the energy savings could be quite significant if the user end could do less processing of the signal.

mike3

Postby mike3 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:02 am

I’m in IT myself. Interesting to see a view into the backend and how it works.

What channels will be added? I’m really interested to know.

chrismccracken

Postby chrismccracken » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:02 pm

I just caught this post, an interesting read. As a cloud solutions architect, I'm curious what you think the net benefit of dual-stacked redundancies for the core and transcoding layers are. A standard approach to that would stack those together to reduce latency and reduce complexity, with no loss of ultimate consumer redundancy to the CDN layer (treat the combined core/transcode unit as a single failure domain). Even with direct fiber, having core and transcode that far apart geographically adds significant latency under the best case scenario.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:33 pm

I just caught this post, an interesting read. As a cloud solutions architect, I'm curious what you think the net benefit of dual-stacked redundancies for the core and transcoding layers are. A standard approach to that would stack those together to reduce latency and reduce complexity, with no loss of ultimate consumer redundancy to the CDN layer (treat the combined core/transcode unit as a single failure domain). Even with direct fiber, having core and transcode that far apart geographically adds significant latency under the best case scenario.
Cloud solutions architect - awesome - that has to be interesting!

The Stage 2 work moves the transcoding to the source teleports. In the interim the transcoding work is being done by hosted bare metal servers that are 14ms and 26ms away from our core servers.

The extra cross-linking we do vs treating one transcode set + one core server as a single failure domain...

The big win is having redundancy to the front end nodes rather than the transcode to core server cross-linking. Cross-linking has some minor advantages and we figure little to no cost making it worth doing.

The core servers run the same code as the front end nodes with two source paths so there isn't a complexity cost in the software.
The transcoders have to support double the bandwidth but that is a known quantity and it doesn't affect our costs.

Now it wouldn't take much to flip the equation. If the transcoders were at the same site as the core servers for example it would likely make more sense to treat them as part of the same failure domain and eliminate external communication.

Nick

chrismccracken

Postby chrismccracken » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:39 am

The Stage 2 work moves the transcoding to the source teleports. In the interim the transcoding work is being done by hosted bare metal servers that are 14ms and 26ms away from our core servers.

The extra cross-linking we do vs treating one transcode set + one core server as a single failure domain...

The big win is having redundancy to the front end nodes rather than the transcode to core server cross-linking. Cross-linking has some minor advantages and we figure little to no cost making it worth doing.

The core servers run the same code as the front end nodes with two source paths so there isn't a complexity cost in the software.
The transcoders have to support double the bandwidth but that is a known quantity and it doesn't affect our costs.

Now it wouldn't take much to flip the equation. If the transcoders were at the same site as the core servers for example it would likely make more sense to treat them as part of the same failure domain and eliminate external communication.

Nick
Ah, interesting. I was guessing it had something to do with custom hardware for the transcoding, but the fact that that's an interim solution makes the easiest vs optimal path even more compelling.

Can you elaborate on what the "teleport" is? What kind of raw upstream interface do you access as a vMVPD? Is it a data/IP connection or something more basic like SDI? I'm curious how much control you have over the entire delivered product (resolution/bitrate/codecs/etc), or if you're limited with what you get?

BTW- I love that you're showing some transparency on this stuff, very cool move!

Sorahl

Postby Sorahl » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:37 pm

also do love posts like this. while my needs are more on the home owner side of things it is cool to see what SD is doing.

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”