Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Killed Kodi Access to NAS

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

jrpatx
Device ID: 1056BDB2, 10727095

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Killed Kodi Access to NAS

Post by jrpatx »

I have had both the official HDHR Kodi plugin as well as the unofficial HDHR PVR plugin working fine on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS for a long time. With the update to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, both stopped working. The unofficial PVR plugin reported that it was not compatible with Kodi Leia 18.6 (because the plugin had been added under Kodi Krypton which was the latest version in the Ubuntu 18.04 repository). So I uninstalled the PVR plugin, downloaded the .ZIP file for the version compatible with Kodi Leia, and installed it.

So now I am at essentially the same place with both the official and unofficial Kodi plugins. They both load up fine, and will show live TV, the Tasks list, the Guide info, etc. But when I try to view the existing recordings on my NAS, both plugins fail to find anything. The unofficial PVR plugin just shows an empty folder, and the official plugin shows an endlessly spinning progress wheel with no results. I suspected some new network file access security default in Ubuntu 20.04 was preventing access, but I couldn't find anything.

For reference the Files tool in Ubuntu 20.04 can see the contents of the HDHR DVR folder on the NAS no problem, and if I double-click on one of the files, VLC fires right up and starts playing it, so there doesn't seem to be global network access issue, just something specific to Kodi or these specific plugins. Also all Android HDHR apps as well as Kodi Leia 18.6 plugins (both official and unofficial) running on Android platforms continue to work fine, so something specific to the way Kodi Leia 18.6 interacts with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Sorry for the long description. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks for your help!
John

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Killed Kodi Access to NAS

Post by signcarver »

Where is the engine running and what version is it on? What version of unofficial add-on? There was a recent update (late march) to android based engines that caused havoc on older versions of apps as they don't return the recordings directly but rather the "names of shows" with those URL's linking to lists of the recordings for that show... an update to the unofficial add-on should fix that.

If that isn't the issue, DVR files are served via http by the engine (though generally a non standard port), which is discovered by broadcast discovery which is the same method as discovering tuners, not any file system sharing. I would double check that the engine is actually running and is on the same subnet (though since you say android is working and the tuners are found, I suspect it is, but sub/super-netting has been a thing that has tripped up some before). If you launch a browser on the Ubuntu machine and point go to my.hdhomerun.com does it see the engine and tuners? Do other devices see the engine/tuners from that site? if you go to my.hdhomreun.com/discover is the engine listed there? if it is and you copy that ip address (with port) and go there, does the engine respond.

jrpatx

Post by jrpatx »

Hello again, thanks for the quick reply!

Version 20200225 of the DVR engine is running on my WDMyCloud NAS. Unofficial add-on is version -linux-x86_64-leia-3.2.2.7418.

Yes, pointing a browser on the updated Ubuntu 20.04 machine (and any other machine as well) to my.hdhomerun.com discovers both of my tuners and the DVR engine, all 3 at version 20200225.

Everything on the network is at 192.168.2.xxx.

Yes, my.hdhomerun.com/discover reports back details for both tuners and the DVR engine running on the NAS. If I open a browser tab and go directly to the address for the DVR engine (with port #), it opens up the appropriate GUI showing "Recorded Files" and "System Status". All recorded files are visible if I click on "Recorded Files".

There are several options available under the "Configure" tab for the unofficial PVR client within Kodi like discovery intervals, cloud-based discovery, etc. I have not played around with any of those, all still at default settings.

UPDATE: I noticed the add-on repository within Kodi wasn't loading and I couldn't fix it so I re-installed Kodi. This fixed the repository issue so I used it to re-install the official HDHR add-on, and it now works correctly, I can see all my DVR recordings on the NAS. I then re-installed the unofficial add-on using the same .7418 version of the .ZIP file mentioned above. No luck, same as before, empty recordings directory.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

225 shouldn't have the issue I was referring to as it only applied to 20200318(or something) that is only available on the android version of the dvr engine (i.e. running the engine on a shield)... for the unofficial add-on you may wish to ask there to make sure djp952 sees it, one thing you might try is to change the discovery method of it as it can use both broadcast or http (my.hdhomerun.com).

jrpatx

Post by jrpatx »

Tried both UDP broadcast and HTTP cloud-based discovery, no difference. I'll post the question in the unofficial Kodi add-on thread.

Thanks again for all your help!
John

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

Hi jrpatx, my initial inclination is that there should be an error listed in the Kodi log during recording discovery if nothing is showing up. Recent (unannounced) changes to Android-based HDHomeRun RECORD necessitated some tweaks to tide us over until I was able to deal with it "properly", my thought is that is where an error might be occurring. The Kodi logs should give me what I need to make sure of that.

I would love to hear from you in that thread, I have already made the changes for a more proper adoption of the HDHomeRun RECORD changes, but have not published them yet. The code is in a place where a BETA release should be OK to send out if I think that's what the problem is.

Thank you for using my Kodi addon, I'm sorry that it's giving you some trouble right now.