EDL/ComSkip discussion

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

usafle

Re: EDL/ComSkip discussion

Post by usafle »

So UNRaid has a docker container for COMSKIP. However, it's looking for "one" directory where all the recordings are placed. HDHomeRUN records into separate folders based on TV Show on its UNRaid Docker. So every recording is grouped into it's own Folder - which means I can't use the COMSKIP docker.

Is there a way to get HDHomeRUN to dump it's recordings into one main directory instead of subfolders?

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

Not that I am aware of. I know the RECORD engine will find things you manually place in it's directory tree provided it has the requisite metadata in the stream, but you also typically have to bounce it for it to see things you did while it wasn't looking :)

SD's JasonL or NickK would know if there is an option for that in the RECORD engine settings, but I've never heard of one.

usafle

Post by usafle »

I had assumed as much. I'm going to see if I can add multiple directories to the docker container, it might work, it might implode.

I'm still waiting on SiliconDust to make an official Docker Container for the HDHomeRun. Waaaay back in June they stated they were 'working on it'.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

usafle wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:15 am So UNRaid has a docker container for COMSKIP. However, it's looking for "one" directory where all the recordings are placed. HDHomeRUN records into separate folders based on TV Show on its UNRaid Docker. So every recording is grouped into it's own Folder - which means I can't use the COMSKIP docker.
Can you manually enter the directory path? For my comskip script I use "/path/to/HDHomeRun/*/".

usafle

Post by usafle »

I can do that but unraid won't recognize that "*".
The docker is looking for a master directory of pvr files to convert on the fly and then it's asking for me to point to a directory to move the com-skip files to when processing is done.
So I'd need the ability for the hdhomerun to dump all the recordings without subfolders and then "see" all the processed com-skip recordings in a different master folder and be able to play them back from there.

The way the recordings are currently handled, I don't think it's feasible.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

usafle wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:48 pm I can do that but unraid won't recognize that "*".
The docker is looking for a master directory of pvr files to convert on the fly and then it's asking for me to point to a directory to move the com-skip files to when processing is done.
So I'd need the ability for the hdhomerun to dump all the recordings without subfolders and then "see" all the processed com-skip recordings in a different master folder and be able to play them back from there.

The way the recordings are currently handled, I don't think it's feasible.
You can lump all of the .edl files in the same directory if you want to. You have to tell the PVR add-on where to find the .edl files anyway. The only extra thing you will need to do is flip a switch to turn on the setting for flattened file hierarchy (or something like that). Of course that doesn't help you if Comskip can't get to your recording files. I never used unraid or docker so I can't help to you with that part.

usafle

Post by usafle »

The docker container is an "all in one". From what I'm reading on it, it process everything right at the video file level. That is if I'm understanding it correctly. It doesn't even ask or look for edl files during the initial pull and install of the docker. It's just looking for the DVR folder and whatever folder I'm going to dump the converted files into after the process.

Ken.F wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:48 pm You can lump all of the .edl files in the same directory if you want to. You have to tell the PVR add-on where to find the .edl files anyway. The only extra thing you will need to do is flip a switch to turn on the setting for flattened file hierarchy (or something like that). Of course that doesn't help you if Comskip can't get to your recording files. I never used unraid or docker so I can't help to you with that part.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

Any chance of there being a filesystem out there that mounts the directory and makes it appear flat? I suppose it would have to be read-only and have all the .EDL files placed in a different folder.

I've used somewhat similar techniques in the past but that was mainly to join two filesystems into one view. Just a theory that somebody out there may have come up with a way to do it, it doesn't sound that unreasonable to pull off.

(Wacky suggestion, I know)

starslayer74
Device ID: 15300503, 1325D5CE

Post by starslayer74 »

Does anyone know how I would go about using comskip on my recordings that are saved on my servio?

usafle

Post by usafle »

I've looked at the docker and it makes zero mention of .EDL files. So, not sure how this one works w/o the .EDL files. In case you were curious; https://hub.docker.com/r/djaydev/auto-comskip
The docker author states "Tested with Plex and Emby recordings". I would assume the recordings are the same between HD / Plex / Emby?

Since my recordings are stored on my unRAID NAS, I have to find a docker to process them. I thought it would be easier (since unRAID usually is) but, it seems not so much this time. lol

I set up a 'test' pointing the docker to one folder of recorded TV shows and then the output directory to the main HDHOMERUN on my array to see if it does anything. So far, there is one recording but nothing in the output directory as of yet.

It seems to only process .ts files - I did some more research so that seems to be the current issue.
djp952 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:56 pm Any chance of there being a filesystem out there that mounts the directory and makes it appear flat? I suppose it would have to be read-only and have all the .EDL files placed in a different folder.

I've used somewhat similar techniques in the past but that was mainly to join two filesystems into one view. Just a theory that somebody out there may have come up with a way to do it, it doesn't sound that unreasonable to pull off.

(Wacky suggestion, I know)

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

starslayer74 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:44 am Does anyone know how I would go about using comskip on my recordings that are saved on my servio?
I don't think it would work with a Servio unless you can copy the recording files to a temporary location to process them.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

usafle wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:00 am I've looked at the docker and it makes zero mention of .EDL files. So, not sure how this one works w/o the .EDL files. In case you were curious; https://hub.docker.com/r/djaydev/auto-comskip
The docker author states "Tested with Plex and Emby recordings". I would assume the recordings are the same between HD / Plex / Emby?
It looks like that one is using Comskip to detect the commercials, but it is also editing the recording files to cut the commercials out permanently. That won't work because editing the recording files will wipe out the metadata. Without the metadata the DVR engine won't be able to see the recording files.

usafle

Post by usafle »

Well thanks for that. Guess it's back on the hunt for a different docker that handles it differently. Going to ask over at r/Unraid and see if anyone has any experience with this....
Ken.F wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:55 pm It looks like that one is using Comskip to detect the commercials, but it is also editing the recording files to cut the commercials out permanently. That won't work because editing the recording files will wipe out the metadata. Without the metadata the DVR engine won't be able to see the recording files.

Deihmos

Post by Deihmos »

usafle wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:15 am Well thanks for that. Guess it's back on the hunt for a different docker that handles it differently. Going to ask over at r/Unraid and see if anyone has any experience with this....
Ken.F wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:55 pm It looks like that one is using Comskip to detect the commercials, but it is also editing the recording files to cut the commercials out permanently. That won't work because editing the recording files will wipe out the metadata. Without the metadata the DVR engine won't be able to see the recording files.
Did you find a solution?

usafle

Post by usafle »

Deihmos wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:13 pm Did you find a solution?
Nope. Tried a few different dockers. Some of them failed because HDHR won't record in .TS files or they failed because of the way HDHR's folder structure has to remain "as is". I found one that ALMOST worked. However because I couldn't map the HDHR folders to different directories from within the Docker, the ComSkip docker was pointed to the HDHR folder as a "Watch" folder. So, it grabbed the file, ran it through the encoding process, then grabbed the file again and ran it again... rinse and repeat infinitum. Luckily I was watching it, otherwise that would have been really really bad for my array.

I've asked SD to make an official HDHR docker going on for almost TWO YEARS now instead of relying on some user who currently maintains it out of the goodness of his heart. If SD would make their own, then perhaps we'd be able to have to ability for different folders for recording etc...etc....

I send them a support ticket every few months. Same reply as always "We are looking into it"