Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

vonloschz

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by vonloschz »

Hello,
when I use the Stream Live TV channel(s) directly from tuner devices + Trigger recording discovery immediately after playback options.

All live channels start using tuner from 1 to 4.
All records actions start using tuner from 4 to 1.
Timeshift is as well unavailable over live playing.

However the record on tunner remains active event if I stop it.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

vonloschz wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:43 pm Hello,
when I use the Stream Live TV channel(s) directly from tuner devices + Trigger recording discovery immediately after playback options.

All live channels start using tuner from 1 to 4.
All records actions start using tuner from 4 to 1.
Timeshift is as well unavailable over live playing.

However the record on tunner remains active event if I stop it.
Hi! This is all normal.

Stream Live TV channel(s) directly from tuner devices bypasses the HDHomeRun RECORD (DVR) instance on your network for Live TV channels, which makes timeshifting unavailable. The RECORD (DVR) instance handles the necessary buffering of Live TV that allows this feature to work. Tuner selection is automatic. With this option off, the RECORD instance selects what tuner(s) to use on it's own, the addon has no input into this. However, with this option on, the addon will check for an available tuner to use on it's own, working from the highest tuner number to the lowest tuner number to try and avoid 'thrashing around' looking for one, since the typical order would be lowest to highest number.

Trigger recording discovery immediately after playback has no impact on tuner utilization; this option tells the addon to go out to the RECORD instance and look for new recordings any time you stop playback of a stream (Live or Recorded) in conjunction with the periodic check it always does in the background. This is only useful if you want to see a new recording that may have kicked off while you were watching something else right after you stopped watching something else.

All recording work is done by the RECORD instance, this addon does not do any recording or tuner pooling at all for those. There is also no (current) way to abort an HDHomeRun RECORD recording, all you can do is delete the command that kicked it off, which doesn't actually stop it. Deleting a recording that is in progress will also not stop it (although it won't show up anymore in Kodi). I don't want to say this is a "limitation" of HDHomeRun RECORD, since it's by design, but unless you cancel/stop/delete the recording and restart the RECORD instance, it will indeed keep going and keep the tuner allocated.

I hope this was able to answer your questions a bit, let me know if not! But from what I can tell, all good, all normal.

I also suggest perusing the documentation for the addon settings: https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... i/Settings, I think that page does a fairly good job of documenting them and what they do :)

vonloschz

Post by vonloschz »

That right , your project is well documented.
My HDHomerun Scribe run low on resource after 3 recordings at the same time.

I was expected the Stream Live TV channels directly from tuner device(s) as a workaround solution.

For reference ...
ClearStream 2MAX
HDHomeRun SCRIBE
Fire TV Stick 4K
Kodi 18
zuki PVR HDHomerunDVR

djp952

Post by djp952 »

vonloschz wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:56 pm That right , your project is well documented.
My HDHomerun Scribe run low on resource after 3 recordings at the same time.

I was expected the Stream Live TV channels directly from tuner device(s) as a workaround solution.

For reference ...
ClearStream 2MAX
HDHomeRun SCRIBE
Fire TV Stick 4K
Kodi 18
zuki PVR HDHomerunDVR
If there are resource issue(s) with your Scribe handling three recordings simultaneously (really, just three? I'm with you, that seems abnormal), I suggest you contact SiliconDust via the HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR) forum: viewforum.php?f=119

I am always happy to help where I can and don't like "pawning" people off, but I really think in your case you should try to get some answer(s)/solution(s) from SiliconDust. I don't own a Scribe, but I've not heard of anything like this either ...

vonloschz

Post by vonloschz »

I created a ticket over HDHomeRun support about my low resource problem.

My second problem is between the record and tuner usage.
whatever apps I use, when I stop a RECORD program, the tuner remain connected on the channel until the tv program change.
In a nutshell, recording stop but tuner stay on for the original record schedule made.

Tested with ....
Fire TV Stick + kodi + zuki PVR addon
Fire TV Stick + HDHomeRun addon
Windows + HDHomeRun app

between each tests I rebooted my HDHomeRun from linux command line.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

vonloschz wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:11 pm My second problem is between the record and tuner usage.
whatever apps I use, when I stop a RECORD program, the tuner remain connected on the channel until the tv program change.
In a nutshell, recording stop but tuner stay on for the original record schedule made.
Right, that's just how RECORD works. You can't stop a recording, it will keep going until it thinks it's done. There is currently no way to make it behave differently short of unplugging it :mrgreen:

vonloschz

Post by vonloschz »

Thanks djp952, I appreciate how quick, simple and smart you answer ours questions.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

No worries! I also wish it would behave differently in this regard, and if they add support for it I'll jump all over it for you guys!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

djp952 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:22 pm Unrelated topic: Do you folks want a new channel group for HEVC channels? Not sure what I'd be able to accurately call it other than "HEVC channels", though. They are still flagged as "HD" so they will show up in that channel group regardless, but for anyone using the new ATSC 3.0 tuner(s) would such a group add value for you?
Now that they have the new firmware out that keeps both sets of channels, such a feature would probably be great... keep in mind that such new firmware now describes video codec as HEVC rather than h.265 in prior firmwares... also if one adds the "tuning" parameter (preceded by ? or & depending on where specified in the URL) one could check the Modulation as being atsc3 vs 8vsb (when it comes to the ATSC 3 channels... going by HEVC would probably be more universal for europe and such).

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Good ideas thanks! HEVC is still reported as H.265 on CableCard, do you have a sample json snippet from the new firmware that shows the "VideoCodec" and "AudioCodec" nodes? Depending on how Kodi works out AC4 I'm considering an option to hide those channels. Nothing but H.265 and AC3 here :(

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I don't have any HEVC on cable so can't report what a prime reports... you would probably have to test for both h.265 and HEVC if you were automating it

for a quatro 4k I can see (2 channels I can actually tune in SD's app with both ATSC 1.0 and 3.0)

Code: Select all

{
GuideNumber: "8.1",
GuideName: "AZ PBS",
VideoCodec: "MPEG2",
AudioCodec: "AC3",
HD: 1,
URL: "http://192.168.0.122:5004/auto/v8.1"
},
{
GuideNumber: "15.1",
GuideName: "ABC15",
URL: "http://192.168.0.122:5004/auto/v15.1"
},
{
GuideNumber: "108.1",
GuideName: "AZPBS*8",
VideoCodec: "HEVC",
URL: "http://192.168.0.122:5004/auto/v108.1"
},
{
GuideNumber: "115.1",
GuideName: "ABC15NG",
URL: "http://192.168.0.122:5004/auto/v115.1"
},
If I use ?tuning
I get

Code: Select all

{
GuideNumber: "8.1",
GuideName: "AZ PBS",
TransportStreamID: 191,
Modulation: "8vsb",
Frequency: 183000000,
ProgramNumber: 3,
URL: "http://192.168.0.122:5004/auto/v8.1"
},
{
GuideNumber: "15.1",
GuideName: "ABC15",
TransportStreamID: 195,
Modulation: "8vsb",
Frequency: 479000000,
ProgramNumber: 1,
URL: "http://192.168.0.122:5004/auto/v15.1"
},
{
GuideNumber: "108.1",
GuideName: "AZPBS*8",
Modulation: "atsc3",
Frequency: 599000000,
PLPConfig: "0",
ProgramNumber: 52,
URL: "http://192.168.0.122:5004/auto/v108.1"
},
{
GuideNumber: "115.1",
GuideName: "ABC15NG",
Modulation: "atsc3",
Frequency: 551000000,
PLPConfig: "1",
ProgramNumber: 1,
URL: "http://192.168.0.122:5004/auto/v115.1"
},
Last week I composed a reply to that question but never sent it... basically everything was the same but had h.265 rather than HVEC but it did have HD when it was an HD channel (apparently no longer does though perhaps another scan would pick such up). Also note no Audio codec mentioned in json for ATSC 3.0 channels with ac4 audio (I saw that last week as well).

As nickk mentioned things are in chaos here in phoenix... bobchase mentioned the issues for physical 35 (encoder licenses expiring, timestamps delayed for SD's software...) the other physical channel has issues with half their channels as well

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Thanks signcarver, this is extremely useful information to me, it is sincerely appreciated!

I currently can't justify spending the $$ on a CONNECT 4K that I otherwise wouldn't use, admittedly this was a primary motivation for the new command I added to dump all discovery data into a .zip file that people can send me for when this all falls apart :)

For Kodi, I'd actually prefer to make a "4K" channel group as opposed to HEVC, maybe Nick and the gang will be willing to a a "4K" json attribute at some point :)

DornoDios
Device ID: 152029F9

Post by DornoDios »

I noticed an issue just now. An episode of 20/20 was recorded to the Scribe.

The issue is when you open recordings instead of listing the show's title as 20/20. It instead just shows a folder titled "20" within that folder is another folder entitled "20" and then finally you have the episode correctly titled "20/20 (Episode Name)". Pretty obvious what happened here, the / was interpreted as a directory and not part of the show's title.

I don't know if this is caused by the add-on or the guide data etc. I'm using the 64-bit version of the add-on in Kodi 18.9 if that matters.

It's obviously not a big issue as the show still records and can still be watched. You just have to navigate through an extra folder. I just figured I'd mention it in case this is something within your control that you want to fix.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

DornoDios wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:15 pm I noticed an issue just now. An episode of 20/20 was recorded to the Scribe.

The issue is when you open recordings instead of listing the show's title as 20/20. It instead just shows a folder titled "20" within that folder is another folder entitled "20" and then finally you have the episode correctly titled "20/20 (Episode Name)". Pretty obvious what happened here, the / was interpreted as a directory and not part of the show's title.

I don't know if this is caused by the add-on or the guide data etc. I'm using the 64-bit version of the add-on in Kodi 18.9 if that matters.

It's obviously not a big issue as the show still records and can still be watched. You just have to navigate through an extra folder. I just figured I'd mention it in case this is something within your control that you want to fix.
Nice catch! That would be a bug in the PVR addon, should be easy enough to fix. Kodi is interpreting the "/" as if it were a path delimiter. (oops)

djp952

Post by djp952 »

djp952 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:35 pm Nice catch! That would be a bug in the PVR addon, should be easy enough to fix. Kodi is interpreting the "/" as if it were a path delimiter. (oops)
And ... I'm wrong. This will require a Pull Request for Kodi to solve. I traced this through the Kodi code and it has no means to process escape characters in PVR Recording directory names, they are always treated as-is, so a "/" will always create a subdirectory.

Kodi is only accepting PRs for Matrix (Kodi 19) at this point; is there a character you'd like to see instead of "/" on the Leia (Kodi 18) platform? Our choices on Leia will be to either swap that character out (I would suggest a hyphen) or just to live with it :(

On Matrix, assuming my soon-to-be-proposed PR gets accepted, I'd prefer to wait and see how that pans out; my proposed solution will be to allow URL encoding on the directory name, in this case it would be "20%2F20" but if I URL encode it now you'd actually see "20%2F20" as the directory name ... sigh.