Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

DornoDios
Device ID: 152029F9

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by DornoDios »

Yeah, I thought it was, but apparently not. It just crashed on me again while testing it.

I have no idea why, I'm starting to think it has something to do with my AVR. I just don't know, it's really driving me nuts.

If it was happening on my FireTV I'd feel a lot better, but the fact that one has an issue and the other doesn't is really making this difficult.

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

Hey djp, I sent you both the Kodi.log and the old Kodi.log file. There are some warnings in it. I'm pretty sure the issue is related to my AVR, which if that is the case it means a fix is unlikely.

The whole reason I got the Shield is because the Fire TV is a little slow and it decodes DD and then encodes it to DD+ before output.

Whereas the Shield outputs Multichannel PCM. I think the issue has something to do with that, but I'm just guessing. Hopefully you can learn more from the logs I sent you.

It seems like it has something to do with the audio.

I'm so tired of fooling with it that I'm not even going to bother with it until I hear back from you. Assuming I can help myself, lol.

I just now realized that I forgot to configure the audio settings when I setup this new version of Kodi. That's probably why it crashes even more quickly now. Passthrough wasn't turned on and the audio device was set to output random noise constantly.

I think this is the fix because when I was using it initially I had no issues and at some point I messed with the audio settings in Kodi and set keep audio device alive to 5 minutes or so and I first saw trouble Saturday night but I was using it for several days before that.

The Shield TV has a similar keep AVR alive with background noise option. I left the Nvidia setting off and left if off in Kodi, but set Kodi to keep the audio device alive sometime before I had the error early Saturday morning. I either way lucky not to experience an issue before then or I caused it. This also explains why fully recorded programs play back w/o issue because they play back in Dolby Digital and live or in progress recordings use mutli channel PCM.

UPDATE: Nevermind, I was wrong it just happened again with the audio setup how I prefer. At least I have new logs, maybe they'll help. Will look at them real quick and send them over. I think it's possible the Shield TV had issues all along, but I don't watch a lot of 'live' or 'time-shifted' television. So it's possible I just didn't see any issues initially. Obviously I need recordings in progress to work properly because I watch Football.

I was just looking at the FireTV logs for comparison and I noticed there is a network issue like you said. I see the following on the Shield TV only.

Code: Select all

2020-12-30 17:36:01.744 T:9034   ERROR: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: GetRecordingLastPlayedPosition failed due to an exception: http get request on [http://192.168.0.3:80/recorded_files.json?DisplayGroupID=root] failed: Failure when receiving data from the peer (1)
This shows up right in the beginning of the Kodi.log for the Shield TV and is absent on the Fire TV log. Let me know if you want the Fire TV log. I saved it because it contains a number of warnings despite everything working properly. The Fire TV has been streaming the same SD channel I used last night without issue for almost 4 hours now. I decided to try an HD channel with the Shield and it made no difference it randomly exits after a certain amount of time.

Looking at the logs every time it dies it occurs due to the "zero-length read on stream at position xyz error". Only on the Shield TV. The Fire TV which is also on 5ghz is still working fine. I guess I need try play a recorded file and see if that works, because it may not.

I found a thread where somebody said they were having issues with their Merlin firmware and that is essentially what I am running. He said a power cycle of the router was the only thing that fixed it. I'm willing to try anything at this point anyway. After that test fails I'm going to unplug the VoIP phone system and hardwire the device.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

Hi DornoDios, I did receive the logs and have made a pass through them. I'm going to see if I can add something in the addon for you as a one-off build to try and get better detail as to what's killing the HTTP connection.

But .. what I'm seeing so far is that the connection to the RECORD engine, and based on the logs, just the RECORD engine, is dying. No errors at all from tuners.

If you aren't too tired of this, I'd like to try something on your end to exacerbate the condition :) In the addon settings, can you enable Trigger recording discovery immediately after playback in the General group? What I'd like to do here is force an immediate connection to the RECORD server when the stream dies, I expect that it will error out, but this work is on a different HTTP connection, so maybe we can get something useful out of that. The other thing I'd like you to try TEMPORARILY is to dial down the Discovery Intervals for Channel Lineups and Recordings to one minute. Channel lineups will go out to your tuners every minute, Recordings will go out to your RECORD engine every minute. The idea is to see if this is a complete network dropout or just with the RECORD engine.

I wouldn't leave the Discovery Intervals that low for real-world use, it makes no sense to check every minute for these things :) Just fact-finding.

Worst case I can cook you up a version of the addon that just sits there and tries to get the status of the RECORD engine in a loop or something in the background and reports if that fails, but I'm very unhappy with the generic error you're getting and would like to be able to have that provide more detail (for everyone), will look at that first.

edit: Oh wait, one more key ingredient to try ... in the addon settings, under Advanced, try turning on Stream Live TV channel(s) directly from tuner devices. This will bypass RECORD for Live TV. You won't be able to timeshift with this turned on, but it's another existing means of narrowing things down. If you see zero problems here, and we see zero problems with the tuner discovery operations, we're in weirdsville for the RECORD engine :)

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

Thanks so much for your help. I turned off DNS filtering for the Shield TV only based on its MAC address and hoping that will help. So far I don't know, lol.

Unplugging the router and doing a reset didn't make a bit of difference.

It just crashed again after 1h18m. I'm going to make the changes you suggested and see what happens. Will send you the logs when it inevitably dies.

I made the changes and then reset Kodi to make sure they are actually in effect. I found I can still pause TV with the direct from tuner setting, but there is no rewinding or FF.

Just to make sure I'm not using the record engine I changed channels and did not pause the stream. Will let it run in the background overnight if needed.

I just noticed it's using Tuner 3 now instead of Tuner 0, even though nothing else is recording etc. I'm guessing that doesn't matter.

This is the first time I've had somebody help me with a problem like this. I'm usually the guy who goes to look at my friends computers, lol.

After doing the test you recommended I'll try hooking it up via ethernet, but unfortunately that's probably not a long term solution. Unless I buy a wireless adapter for the Ooma Telo. Even though it sits 3 inches from my router. Stupid lightning strike killing my WAN port. Though I walk through the shadow of the valley of dying ethernet ports I shall fear no wireless connection unless it's on the Shield TV.

Apparently the wireless adapter can only be purchased used for about $30 and is apparently a piece of junk. The new ooma telo works natively over wireless, but I'd rather not spend $130. Is an ethernet switch a pretty simple thing to add to a router so you have more ethernet ports?
Last edited by DornoDios on Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

No worries at all my friend; I'm building a (small) changeset now that I will e-mail a link to you when it's done. For now, it's just a minor change in logging capability that may or may not bear any fruit. I spent a couple hours trying to come up with a way to duplicate the errors you are getting to no avail -- the long and short of this seems to be that the Scribe is either booting the Shield's HTTP connection(s) or there is simply an underlying network problem that needs to be solved.

I truly think asking SiliconDust to look at your Scribe logs would be prudent at this point. On the client side of things there will never be a lot to go on other than "some bad thing happened". The server side of things may hold the key to the explanation.

Here's my problem code-wise with the streaming part of the addon: I have (intentionally) made the streaming code very tolerant of intermittent network problems, it won't consider a connection to be "dead" unless there has been less than 1 byte received for 5 seconds. If the connection isn't "dead", the addon just tells Kodi "hey, I got nothing for you right now" -- this results in the "zero-length read" messages. Kodi will only wait for so long before it stops asking, but the "less than 1 byte received for 5 seconds" may or may not have happened yet so the end result can either be a non-descript Kodi timeout error or an error from the addon that says what happened from its perspective. I think you're not seeing the Banner/toast message (addon encountered the problem) on Live TV because Kodi will decide to abort before the addon does. On Recorded TV, depending on how much data Kodi has cached (more than 5 seconds), the addon is more likely to abort than Kodi is and throw up this banner.

The discovery part of the addon is more zero-tolerance -- an error is an error -- no retries/backsies allowed. I think this is why the logs you sent are showing the generic cURL error here and not with the streaming. Hopefully the change I've made and will send over will expose more about "why" this is, but these operations failing are going to be our best diagnostic path on the client side.

I am very trepidatious about altering any of the streaming code dynamics at this point, this has been changed so many times over the years via trial-and-error and the core parts of the addon have been extremely stable for quite a while now. Any time I screw with this stuff bad things happen.

So, let's see if either the pseudo-diagnostic options help to narrow it down, or the build I will send over gives us more information to work from, but I'm still 99.9% convinced that you will need SiliconDust's help here. Everything is pointing at the Scribe being unhappy with the Shield device :)

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

Yeah, I don't want you to make changes to the add-on just for some rare edge case like me.

The only reason I don't think the issue is related to the HDHR is because the FireTV works absolutely perfectly with it. I let it stream for 4 hours earlier today, only stopping when I decided to reset the router.

If I have to use ethernet I'll just find a way to make it happen. Do you think I should try that first or use your special version?

I'm going to try to take a little break because I have SO much college football to catch up on, even with the cancellations I still have a couple games I want to see from the 26th if I recall. At least I'm going to try that if I can manage to relax and enjoy the game.

Using it the way you suggested JUST NOW caused the stream to drop after about 1h20m. I'll e-mailed you that log. Eating now, will try to relax a little and will at minimum set something up to perform another test before I go to bed.

UPDATE:
Using the new PVR add-on you provided it managed to crash in just 10 minutes. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason though, it just varies randomly. I'm going to try ethernet now.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

DornoDios wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:58 pm Yeah, I don't want you to make changes to the add-on just for some rare edge case like me.

The only reason I don't think the issue is related to the HDHR is because the FireTV works absolutely perfectly with it. I let it stream for 4 hours earlier today, only stopping when I decided to reset the router.

If I have to use ethernet I'll just find a way to make it happen. Do you think I should try that first or use your special version?

I'm going to try to take a little break because I have SO much college football to catch up on, even with the cancellations I still have a couple games I want to see from the 26th if I recall. At least I'm going to try that if I can manage to relax and enjoy the game.

Using it the way you suggested JUST NOW caused the stream to drop after about 1h20m. I'll e-mailed you that log. Eating now, will try to relax a little and will at minimum set something up to perform another test before I go to bed.
Dude, I am seriously at a loss on this one. To me, everything points to "the network", but there will only be so much I can do in that case as I cannot come up with any scenarios here that mimic your concern. It's not so much "making changes for an edge case", I just don't have any specific frame of reference in which to make said changes :) I'm pretty tenacious about defects, the problem is that I just can't find any to solve!

Given that you have client(s) that work and client(s) that don't work on the same baseline/network, and we're seeing a generalized network error as the root cause, I strongly suggest you bring this to the attention of SiliconDust. From what I can see right here right now, the HDHomeRun Scribe device is the "thing" that's acting as the common denominator. While I'm not intending to imply that the device is somehow flawed, I think attacking the problem from that device's perspective will bear the most fruit.

I understand and appreciate taking a break, I mean the whole point is to watch TV (right?), but I'm just not seeing anything I can control or do much about in play here. I truly hope that hard-wiring the device, even if temporary, will solve the problem, but from my seat you are truly stuck with something that either nVidia or SiliconDust needs to solve. Not a cop-out at all (I don't "do" that cop-out crap), I'm just not finding any condition(s) that are within my control :) :)

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

I understand what you mean. I reviewed the logs and just saw the same errors that existed in the initial ones. So far it's been going for a little over 2 hours via ethernet. Though the longest I had via wifi was 2h11m, so, I'm going to let it run all night.

Hopefully this 'fixes' it. I intend to return this device and get a Pro, but that plan was put on hold when the price went up and Amazon ran out of stock.

This is probably a long shot, but I wonder if the wireless chipset could be to blame? I haven't streamed or really watched anything else on the device because I was so focused on getting the thing to work.

It seems unlikely, but I'd love for that to be the case as then I don't have to fool with this nonsense anymore, lol.

I'll post in the thread you mentioned earlier tomorrow and see what can be done. Should I just post in that thread you linked to get help from Silicon Dust? I need at add my device ID to my profile.

I won't be sure it truly works over ethernet until I wake up tomorrow and it's been buffering TV the whole time.

Thanks SO much for you help. There's just nothing in the logs that points to anything other than a network or HDHR related error as every time it drops out it reads zero length data from xyz and then croaks.

I'll definitely ask for help tomorrow and I think I'll probably just buy a Pro from BestBuy or some local store since I have to pay tax regardless. The arrival time really isn't an issue. I mainly just want the AI enhanced upscaling for 720p football games. Since it only works on 60hz with the Pro. I'm not going to pick it up in store cause I can't walk right now. Might wait for Amazon, not sure.

Nvidia doesn't do a very good job of differentiating the two products from one another. If they had I'd have purchased a Shield TV Pro from the beginning and saved myself $20 because it's no longer on sale and I just assumed it was cheaper because it was released last year, oops. It's possible it's working longer over ethernet, but will still eventually crash. I'll make sure and update tomorrow.

Update: It's been working over 5 hours now. I went ahead an ordered the Pro from Best Buy cause they say it'll be here on the 2nd. I doubt that, but whatever. The $19.47 5 port switch I bought will be here on the 3rd.

I'll try WiFi on the Pro just to see if maybe it works and the issue was the WiFi chip, but I have no desire to continue trying to troubleshoot the issue when I can spend $19.47 to avoid it. Thanks so much for all your help and I'll make sure and let you know if WiFi works on the pro. I don't expect it to. I'm just glad this nightmare is OVER! I'm going to bed now. Should be asleep by 6:30AM, right before the sun comes up. Perfect timing!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

(Should have read this before e-mail response - lol)

That's great news! I also can say, thanks to you testing it out, that the change to get "better" error messages from cURL works, but .. ended up not being all that useful here since they say the same basic thing (connection reset by peer). I see some indications out there of possible wifi problems with the new Shield(s), but I mean if you google "<insert device name here> wifi problems", every single device name you try will have hits for this :)

Posting in the thread should be enough for SD to help out, if you put your device IDs in your forum profile they can have a look at things prior to even responding, which is cool. Unless they happen to know about something like this already with the Shield and the Scribe they'll definitely want to look into it.

And like I said, if you want any assistance with describing what's happening, I'm happy to help. I'd start with noting that the HDHomeRun app is having problems on the device and use this addon's behavior as a secondary source of information for them. What's happening with this addon boils down to "Connection reset by peer" errors when communicating with the Scribe while streaming and while accessing Recording discovery information.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Unrelated topic: Do you folks want a new channel group for HEVC channels? Not sure what I'd be able to accurately call it other than "HEVC channels", though. They are still flagged as "HD" so they will show up in that channel group regardless, but for anyone using the new ATSC 3.0 tuner(s) would such a group add value for you?

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

Part of me wants nothing to do with trying to find out and fix whatever is causing the Shield not to work over WiFi at 5ghz and 2.4ghz.

At the same time I want to solve this issue so that hopefully someone else is spared the same aggravation that I just had to go through. Additionally if it is a SD issue they can look into it and fix it. If it's an Nvidia issue, well, that may take a little bit longer to fix.

Unfortunately our power went out... again... around 1PM today. I turned the UPS off, so the HDHR reset along with everything else. So I'm not sure if any logs that would have been useful are now gone.

I'll add the device ID to my profile. I'm sending the tube back, but first I'll make a post in the thread/section you linked after letting the Shield Tube run in the background on 5ghz WiFi to see if Silicon Dust can find anything helpful. If it's an issue on Nvidia's side I may inform them, but I won't hold my breath waiting for a fix.

At this point even if it is fixed or maybe the WiFi chip in my tube is flaky I'll probably still set it up over LAN since I ordered the switch and I also noticed when using it over ethernet that there was a noticeable difference in seeking speed. 5hz WiFi is a good experience, but it seems like ethernet is a little bit better.

I have a 3TB 3.5 inch SATA HDD that's currently in an external SATA/USB3 enclosure. I need to get a USB 3 cable because my current motherboard doesn't have ESATA and that is the only way DirecTV allows you to hook up an external HDD. I have USB 3 cables, but none with that big fat square plug on the device end. The name escapes me atm.

If I were to hookup the 3TB drive to the Shield I could use that drive as additional storage for the DVR, right? Would that increase the annual cost to $70?

I'm not sure at this point if we even need extra storage. I'd rather put that drive in my computer unless we really need more storage.

Update: Regarding the HEVC channels it would be a nice option to have as you'd have the ability to see how those channels perform compared to others. I don't have an ATSC 3 tuner so it won't affect me regardless. I thought about getting the new ATSC 3 model, but I wanted to see how this setup worked before cancelling DirecTV. If I'd gone the ATSC 3 route I'd have needed the 3TB external for DVR storage and I can't liberate it until I liberate myself from DTV.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

DornoDios wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:41 pm I have a 3TB 3.5 inch SATA HDD that's currently in an external SATA/USB3 enclosure. I need to get a USB 3 cable because my current motherboard doesn't have ESATA and that is the only way DirecTV allows you to hook up an external HDD. I have USB 3 cables, but none with that big fat square plug on the device end. The name escapes me atm.

If I were to hookup the 3TB drive to the Shield I could use that drive as additional storage for the DVR, right? Would that increase the annual cost to $70?
Big fat square plug == USB 3.0 Type B? (https://www.newnex.com/usb-connector-type-guide.php)

In this case, what you would do is enable the DVR service on the Shield via the HDHomeRun app (since it's Android), and you would have two RECORD instances on your network. Multiple RECORD instances work in tandem, and there are some rules about which one will record what (the rules should be searchable here on the forum, it has to do with things like which has more free space, etc). Both the HDHomeRun app and this addon will interrogate all RECORD instances and show you a single "view" of what's available.

I'm not sure if there will be an additional charge or not, as I'm not familiar with how the Scribe/Servio DVR subscription works at that level. I know the subscription is tied to the device in these cases, but I don't know if you can also add additional RECORD instances on your network under that subscription. It would be best to ask SD to make sure.

In my opinion, and my opinion alone, this would not be a good option for you. You'd want the Shield to be fully "on" and available 24/7 like a server, which does not seem to match your intended use pattern. Depending on the aforementioned rules, it may not even record much, if anything at all, until it becomes preferred over the Scribe device. If and when it records things for you, you wouldn't be able to access those recordings from anywhere, including the Shield itself, unless the DVR service is up and running happily. While you are leaning towards permanent hard-wire anyway, you'd also want that to be the absolute case if it's acting as both a DVR and a client (again IMO). A system running as both can require up to 3x the network bandwidth (or more). Consider the case where the device is recording a stream, playing back a stream to another client (like your Fire TV), and also playing a stream itself. That's a lot to ask of a Wifi connection :)

I just think you'd be disappointed with the results here. It's certainly possible!

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

Yeah, it's USB type-B. I ordered a 3 foot blue colored USB 3.0 cable from Amazon last night. The plug is a little different than the old USB type-B, it has an extra part at the top. The old plug still fits the new USB 3 ports, but a USB 3 plug won't fit an old printer.

I got a blue cable because I have so many cables back behind all my electronics near the UPS etc. So it'll be easier to identify it and also remind me that it's USB 3, though you can tell just by looking at the plug.

I probably won't bother using an external drive for extra space unless it's truly essential. I'd really like to put the 3TB in my computer as I have a drive that needs to be replaced. It's a garbage Seagate 3TB SMR 'bargain' drive that I don't trust at all and the only data on it is data I can afford to lose. It has had multiple sectors fail and I've had to use Seagate's command line tools to scan and 'fix' the damaged sectors.

I understand what you mean about the bandwidth. The Shield TV anti-tube edition is most definitely going to be wired via ethernet. I even discussed buying a very long ethernet cable to run through the attic and drop down to the area where my mother watches TV to hardwire her device. Then I realized that will be impossible because the room has this massive vaulted ceiling that is really steep on all sides. I could drop it down the opposite wall, but even that is hard to reach via the attic and I'd have to punch a new hole in the wall and run the cable around the perimeter of the room. I can't even physically do it for another 6 months or so anyway. I'll only use the shield for DVR storage if it's an absolute necessity. I'm more likely to replace the Scribe's internal HDD with an appropriate 2.5'' model that has more storage once the original drive dies. I think 1TB will be plenty though. We don't watch a ton of TV.

***** Warning this is completely off-topic *****
I watch a LOT of Football and the NBA playoffs. When those aren't in season I watch the stuff normal people watch year round. I bet on sports one time, it was a SuperBowl pool at the restaurant I worked at. The game was terrible that year, but the 3rd & 4th quarter were SO exciting because I won both and took home $60 of the $100 pool. I remember the third quarter had back to back kick off returns for TD's which is what set me up to win the second half. At that moment I vowed NEVER to bet on sports again because it was WAY too much fun and my personality would turn me into a gambling addict, which would ruin sports for me.

Speaking of gambling I did play online poker and I turned a $50 deposit into ~$15,000 before the Government decided to ban online poker. You can't play the same way in person without a LOT more money on the line. When playing online I could play 9 tables at one time and get in 400-500 hands an hour, maybe more, once I had enough seed money. I started out at $25 buy-in no limit Texas Hold Em. Then I went to $50, then I went to $100 which is where I stayed. Past $100 there weren't enough players to sit at 9 tables at one time. The best part was all the sites were giving $100 max percentage based match deposit bonuses that you could withdraw after you played 500 or 1000 hands. So if you knew what you were doing and could avoid tilting there was a lot of money to be made. NetTelller allowed you to withdraw and deposit money easily so you could spread it around and take advantage of all the % match bonuses. I should make it clear that it was my third $50 deposit that I turned into $15,000. I busted out with the first. The second deposit I got the hang of it, then tilted and blew it. I made one last deposit and told my parents I wouldn't make another. So I HAD to make it work and I did, lol. Online was so great because playing 9 tables at once you had $900 or so in play and you always had some kind of action going on. Playing so many tables/hands lowers the variance and minimizes the drastic swings you'd see if playing $1000 No Limit in person. In person you're lucky to get in 45 hands an hour at a table, especially at higher $ levels. I read some books soon after starting and learned how to always make the proper decision based on the math involved. Like when you get 2 Aces you HAVE to make a large opening bet. If you don't make a $5+ bet to push out all but one or two people you end up letting somebody with a pair of 2's hit a 2 on the flop and beat you with 3 of a kind. It's too late too push people out once the flop comes. Unless you get really lucky and hit an Ace. Even then you're inviting danger as someone can be 1 card short of a flush and going all-in with them with 2 cards left to come and you're holding a pair of aces is nearly a coin-flip and you don't make money long term on those. One of the best tips is that Ace/King is a hand that will either win you a small pot or lose you a very big one, lol.
***** Back on Topic *****

Anyways, back to the topic, lol. I think I'll buy an HDMI extension cable so the Fire TV that can't be wired will sit in front of the television or above it instead of directly behind it. That should improve reception as it's not too far from the router. It works fine how it is now, but FF & RW would be a bit better with a stronger signal. If it's in front of the TV it might be able to get an adequate 5ghz signal.

I'm only trying to figure out the WiFi issue so I can spare someone else the trouble or try to get an answer. You're right about searching any device followed by "WiFi issue" comes up with tons of results that are almost entirely useless. I prefer to have everything over ethernet when possible.

I'm going to take the VoIP device unplug it and use that cable to connect the switch to the router. Then I'll plug another cable from the switch into the VoIP device. It doesn't use much of the network so even if the switch is garbage it should still work fine, lol. It's a gigabit 5 port switch that has a 'lifetime' warranty, but for an $18 product that's a joke.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

DornoDios wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:26 pm Anyways, back to the topic, lol. I think I'll buy an HDMI extension cable so the Fire TV that can't be wired will sit in front of the television or above it instead of directly behind it. That should improve reception as it's not too far from the router. It works fine how it is now, but FF & RW would be a bit better with a stronger signal. If it's in front of the TV it might be able to get an adequate 5ghz signal.
For what it's worth, you can hard-wire a Fire TV (for $15USD)

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Ethernet- ... B074TC662N

I have two of these myself, they work dandy!

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

Thanks. I was aware of that, but the one in my room is being replaced by the Shield. I don't really NEED the Shield, but I definitely want it, lol. I really like the upscaling and its ability to play HDR films on SD TV with proper color and brightness. A feature previously only available on a PC with MadVR. You'd think HDR wouldn't matter much on a normal 1080p screen, but it definitely improves image quality when processed properly, it gets rid of banding etc. I haven't checked the Shield TV other than to verify it worked on a Samsung HDR promo video. PC & Shield looked the same. On the Fire TV the sky was a purplish color that looked cool, but doesn't exist on this planet, lol. I forget where I got the demo reel, but there are tons of them for 4k & all the different surround sound formats etc.

Hopefully next year a 4k TV with 120hz input support will drop to a price that I can afford to buy.

The other Fire TV's aren't close enough to connect via ethernet. Also my mother is not nearly as discerning as someone like you or I would be. My mother is deaf in one ear since birth so as you can imagine she is not interested in surround sound. I set her up with an optical cable coming out of her TV sending PCM stereo to a Sennheiser wireless device you can plug any headphones into. So the TV, the FireTV and the DVR all send sound to it from the optical output on the TV.

She has an earbud made by Scansound that combines both audio channels into Mono. The Sennheiser also has this "speech intelligibility" feature with a few different modes that helps to make speech easier to understand. She loves it. Only downside is they never made the secondary cradle just for charging that you could keep near your seat. It's in the manual with a part number, but I guess they didn't sell enough to bother making it.

Thanks for all the help. I never really considered the Fire TV ethernet adapter for my unit because I didn't have a port available. I only bought the ethernet switch for the Shield TV because WiFi didn't work and once I hard wired it there was no going back. I haven't gotten a response to my thread in the other forum. I imagine all the SD employees are enjoying the holidays with family as they should be.

Sorry, brevity is not a strength of mine. That's probably why I don't have a twitter account.