Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

DornoDios
Device ID: 152029F9

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by DornoDios »

Everything is great, I just figured out what the issue was.

I cleared the data and redid everything managing the channels myself.

The reason I don't have the bar at the top is because on a whim I decided to cycle through the guide view of channels and one of them is horizontal grid and another is horizontal grid w/o the groups at the top. It also has a vertical listing w/ no groups etc.

So that's why my setup doesn't have the groups at the top, I'm not sure which I prefer. Apparently even with groups turned on you can still go from the first channel to the last channel, you just have to press up on the remote one more time to skip past the group options. So I'll probably stick w/ the setup that looks like Obliojoe's.

The addon left the channel settings turned regarding pulling them from the backend and numbers etc turned off by default.

I've been using Kodi for a while for my library and also just with favorites that link to network directories. In fact when I first installed your add-on I had to remember to turn TV back on, because I'd removed it from the list previously.

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

Planning to setup the Shield TV tube edition tomorrow at some point. Hopefully it solves the issue I'm having with the Fire TV where any live or in progress recording comes through as DD+ instead of Dolby Digital.

If I leave passthrough on this causes the non-HD channels to break up and drop audio over and over. If I turn off passthrough everything is output as DD+ and is transcoded I guess. If the Shield doesn't fix the audio issue I probably won't have much reason to keep it unless the speed of the device is noticeably faster.

I updated my AVR the other day with the latest firmware, but it didn't fix anything. I didn't really expect it to because I keep it relatively up to date and the 4 issues mentioned had nothing to do with the problems I was having.

Also I found out when you play back a recording from the web list everything works fine, unless it's a recording in progress. Then you can't fast forward, which is to be expected.

The one interesting thing I found is when I play a recording in progress from my PC it picks up and plays back the Dolby Digital Audio properly. Whereas the Fire TV can't do that unless the recording is finished.

The main problem is that I have to switch the setting back and forth every time depending on whether the recording is in progress or I'm watching live TV if I want to pass audio through. So hopefully the Shield TV fixes that. I will make sure and let you guys know. It could be a Fire TV issue, it could be an AVR issue and I suppose it could be an HDHR issue. I guess it's possible it's a Kodi issue, but hopefully I'll find out one way or another.

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

I decided I want to go ahead and get the pro version. For one I didn't know the normal version had a fan in it. I'm not sure if the pro does, but I don't think so because the wall wart is outside the unit.

Additionally in the latest Shield Experience Upgrade v8.2.1 they added the ability to use ai-enchanced upscaling for 60fps videos.

What's funny is the normal unit certainly has the power to upscale 60fps 720p or SD videos to 1080p using AI-upscaling. They want to use it as a market segmentation feature. I'm sure the tube can't upscale to 4k at 60fps, but I'm still using 1080p.

Anyway I went to order one and the price on the pro and the normal version jumped by $20 to $150 and $200. I'm just going to wait until it goes back down to $180, it's not like I need it right this minute.

Paying $50 more for the USB ports and extra GB of ram didn't seem worth it, but once I found out about the upscaling of 720p @ 60fps I wanted the pro. Especially because the cylinder version has a fan in it. I hate products with fans, because in my experience they inevitably die long before the product has outlived its usefulness. So you either have to limit the unit so it doesn't overheat or you have to deal with the aggravating fan and the noise it makes once it starts to fail.

I'm not certain the Pro unit doesn't have a fan in it, but based on it's thin form factor I'm not sure where they would put a fan. Additionally since the wall wart power adapter is outside the unit that's a lot of heat that they don't have to remove. I'll do my homework to make sure it is fan free before buying.

Generally speaking the speed of the unit when using Kodi to watch TV with the HD HomeRun is definitely an upgrade from the Fire TV. You can jump around more quickly and you can FF and RW more quickly as well. All that being said those features aren't really that important unless you watch a lot of sports/football like I do. I'm always jumping forward to get to the next play or to re-watch the last one. The unit has a deceptive way in which it shows the availability of free space on the unit. It shows 5.4GB of useable space. It seems like that is how much you have free, it is not. You have to click on that to see how much is used for various things and how much free space is left. Just barely 3GB after I uninstalled Plex and installed Kodi. 16GB on the Pro is also a joke, but with what I use it for it will be enough.

The main reason I bought a Shield TV is because the Fire TV didn't output the appropriate audio when watching live TV or recordings in progress from the HDHR. It would transcode the DD to DD+ and send that to the amp. So I had to change the Fire TV not to passthrough audio or it doesn't work properly for 5.1 sound. The shield doesn't passthrough DD like it should, but it does the next best thing which is to send 5.1 multi-channel PCM over HDMI. Thankfully my AVR can apply the same Dolby Digital postprocessing that it applies to a DD source to a multichannel PCM source.

Generally speaking I was happy with the normal version, but a little bit hesitant about the fan. I haven't heard it run yet and I imagine it probably doesn't unless you are displaying 4k videos etc. Still, I just can't shake the nagging feeling that the fan is going to end up irritating me.

In the end I'd just rather spend the extra $50 and not have to worry about it The 60fps AI-upscaling is just the cherry on top once I learned it can upscale all the games I watch on Fox or ABC at 720p. Now that it suddenly costs $70 more I'll be waiting for a price drop or sending it back all together.

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

Occasionally when watching TV I get an error stating "ReadRecordedStream: read operation failed with exception: Failure when receiving data from the peer"

That wasn't too concerning because I figured it could be related to a power outage, the HDHR is on a battery backup but the Shield TV won't be until we get rid of DTV DVR.

Then today I checked the recent error log and found numerous entries all identical.

"ReadLiveStream: zero-length read on stream at position 70207472"

The above error appeared FIVE times in a row before seeing the first error I posted again at the end.

Initially I thought it might be related to the Shield TV because I haven't seen it when using the Fire TV. One time I know the Shield TV OS caused it because I accidentally hit the Microphone button during playback and after it went away Kodi was showing the pause/play bar at the bottom twice. It wouldn't go away and then maybe 15-20 seconds later I got the "Failure receiving data from the peer error" and playback stopped.

The error that appears to be referring to a specific location on the drive is more concerning. Any ideas?

I ran the tool to get SMART info from the unit, it appears fine as far as I can tell.

Code: Select all

smart: pass
ID# NAME                    RAW        VAL WST THR
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate      206671792  83  64   6
  3 Spin_Up_Time                     0 100 100   0
  4 Start_Stop_Count                 7 100 100  20
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct            0 100 100  10
  7 Seek_Error_Rate            3425266  65  60  45
  9 Power_On_Hours                 301 100 100   0
 10 Spin_Retry_Count                 0 100 100  97
 12 Power_Cycle_Count                4 100 100  20
184 End-to-End_Error                 0 100 100  99
187 Reported_Uncorrect               0 100 100   0
188 Command_Timeout                  0 100 100   0
189 High_Fly_Writes                  0 100 100   0
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel         35  65  55  40
191 G-Sense_Error_Rate               0 100 100   0
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count          1 100 100   0
193 Load_Cycle_Count               419 100 100   0
194 Temperature_Celsius             35  35  45   0
197 Current_Pending_Sector           0 100 100   0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable            0 100 100   0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count             0 200 200   0
240 Head_Flying_Hours              138 100 253   0
241 Total_LBAs_Written      1759834936 100 253   0
242 Total_LBAs_Read          399986422 100 253   0
254 Free_Fall_Sensor                 0 100 100   0
There are no errors or anything odd in the System Log screen of the HDHR.

I'll keep using the Shield and see if it happens again. It seems to occur when I'm time-shifting. I don't recall if I've seen it occur yet when watching a recording.

When checking the FireTV it listed to errors under recent error msgs. I then compared its settings to those on the Shield TV and the only thing I found that differed was the minimum read size of a DVR operation. For some reason the FireTV is 4k and the Shield TV was 32k. Probably because I was fooling around with it and forgot I changed it. Is it possible that could be responsible for these issues?

My other guess is something to do with IPv6. I have both the HDHR and the Shield TV assigned to specific IPv4 addresses based on their MAC addresses.

I set the shield not to show the screensaver for 1.5 hours and not to sleep for 3 hours. I left a local SD channel playing in the background. One time it failed after 3 minutes, the next time it failed after 30 minutes. The system log just says stream ended (remote closed).

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

DornoDios wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:23 pm Occasionally when watching TV I get an error stating "ReadRecordedStream: read operation failed with exception: Failure when receiving data from the peer"

[...]

"ReadLiveStream: zero-length read on stream at position 70207472"

The above error appeared FIVE times in a row before seeing the first error I posted again at the end.
What's happening here isn't likely to be a failure of a drive, the position reported is the byte position within the specific recording, the .mpg file itself. The PVR uses HTTP to stream the recording via the RECORD engine; when no data is returned you get the "zero-length read" error. This can, and often will, happen multiple times in rapid succession as Kodi is still going to ask for the data, and the PVR will try to satisfy it. Eventually either Kodi will give up, or in your case, the HTTP connection itself has died. "Failure when receiving data from the peer" is a bit generic, though, it doesn't point to a specific concern.

A few theories:

1. There is actually something wrong with that recording and the RECORD engine is choking on it. Probably unlikely.

2. The RECORD engine is having a performance problem reading from the disk(s). There is a set of log files in your HDHomeRun share, named YYYYMMDD.log, which will have read and write timing information in them as well as any errors RECORD ran into on it's end. Note that the date/times in these files is GMT so to correlate the event you saw on the client side, adjust the wall clock accordingly. I believe the "WORST=" values specify the number of milliseconds it took for the RECORD engine to read or write 128KB of data. The Read WORST= values should be very low, the Write ones are typically going to be higher, but if your reads more than maybe 20 (or so) and writes more than maybe 300 (or so), there could be something going on. I had a NAS failure that only manifested by Write WORST= values in the 2000s, for example. Turned out there were 2 bad drives that SMART wasn't detecting without a full diagnostic. I'd say this is so-so on the likely scale, worth looking into. FWIW, my NAS today is showing Reads of worst=1 and Writes of worst=180-210.

3. There was a network problem that interrupted the HTTP connection badly enough it just died. If you see this problem more randomly than not as opposed to being with one or two specific recordings, I'd head in this direction. If it's the same recording in the same place every time clearly that's not random :) But, overall, a network glitch is by far the most likely cause in my opinion. Is the Shield running over Wifi, or is it hard-wired to the network along with the RECORD engine? Do you have QoS (Quality of Service) enabled on anything in your network?

There are a lot of things that could be the root cause here, obviously, and if you want to send along the full Kodi log(s) (I can PM you an e-mail address), I am happy to look through them for you to see if anything pops out that might give us a better hint. The HDHomeRun RECORD logs are more for SD to look at, but I'm happy to look at those as well if you'd like, again, perhaps something will pop out as abnormal.

No silver bullet, but I think it can be narrowed down with some legwork :)

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

I don't have any Kodi logs. I'll have to turn them on.

There is no QoS turned on with my network.

I also get an error about the device being unable to read the recorded files json with a failed to receive data from the peer exception.

The HDHomeRun Scribe is plugged in via ethernet. Unfortunately the Shield TV and Fire TV are not because one of my lan ports died on my router. So with my PC, Modem, Scribe and Ooma Telo I'm maxed out unless I get a switch, which I might.

It doesn't happen on any specific recording, it seems only to happen when time-shifting live TV. The fire TV has shown no issues, but the Shield TV does.

I don't think I understand how to access the Record engine info. How do I access the record engine logs? I'm using a scribe. Is it possible to access them w/o removing the HDD?

What's interesting as no recording ever cuts off early or has any issues. The only time I have a problem is with the Shield TV.

It's been time-shifting a recording for the past hour w/o an issue. Earlier it cut off after 3 minutes one time and after about 30 another time.

Ever since I reset the Shield TV a few hours ago it's maintained a connection to the router.

I restored a backup from the Fire TV to the Shield TV to try and avoid having to setup my library again, etc. Is that likely to cause an issue like this? I used the backup add-on.

It just died again after 1h13m this time. When I switched back to that input on my AVR. I'm going to reinstall Kodi fresh and just use the PVR addon and see how that goes.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

DornoDios wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:52 pm I don't have any Kodi logs. I'll have to turn them on.
The debug log isn't necessary, just the normal one. On the Shield, the kodi.log (and kodi.log.old) should be in /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/temp.
DornoDios wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:52 pm I also get an error about the device being unable to read the recorded files json with a failed to receive data from the peer exception.
This is a telling detail, actually, and I think starts to point the finger at the network between the SHIELD and the RECORD engine. I assume you don't have thousands of recordings yet, the amount of data here is pretty trivial. When this discovery runs, it's actually limited to just asking for the top-level "directory" of recordings followed by one or more requests for each series, but only if something about that series has changed. Outside of a full data load, this is not a lot of data at all.
DornoDios wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:52 pm It doesn't happen on any specific recording, it seems only to happen when time-shifting live TV. The fire TV has shown no issues, but the Shield TV does.
Unless you find that the problem happens at the point you seek (timeshift) playback, like as soon as you try to seek backwards, on the inside playback is playback, it all goes through the same code path be it Live or Recorded. The main difference is a fully recorded stream can send data to Kodi MUCH faster since it's not "live" and Kodi likes to load up it's buffers when it can; it could be that the problem is being masked on Recorded TV since Kodi has so much data on hand a small drop-out wouldn't matter. I'd expect to see the "zero read" errors in the Kodi log for all your streams, but if truly never there for recordings, we can look at this a bit deeper.
DornoDios wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:52 pm I don't think I understand how to access the Record engine info. How do I access the record engine logs? I'm using a scribe. Is it possible to access them w/o removing the HDD?
That's a good point, I don't think you can currently access the logs on a Scribe. SiliconDust can, however. If we need to go there we can ask them for assistance. If there was something wrong with the RECORD engine or the Scribe, you'd have the symptoms everywhere.
DornoDios wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:52 pm I restored a backup from the Fire TV to the Shield TV to try and avoid having to setup my library again, etc. Is that likely to cause an issue like this? I used the backup add-on.
I think it's unlikely, but which Shield TV are you using again? The Fire TV is going to be 32-bit (ARM), the Shield may be 64-bit (AARCH64). There could very well be a problem with cURL (the HTTP library I use), Kodi, or even the PVR addon if it's running as 32-bit on a 64-bit OS. I've never tried that.

This really sounds like a network thing to me so far. Have you tried the HDHomeRun app on the Shield TV to see if it behaves well or exhibits the same symptoms? That would also help to narrow things down; if you see the same problems we can pretty much eliminate Kodi and the PVR addon. If you don't see the same problems, we can start narrowing in on why Kodi or the PVR addon isn't behaving the same way as the HDHomeRun app.

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

It's a network issue. At least I think it is, but it stopped working again.

I reinstalled Kodi after changing some network settings in the router and it couldn't even stream for 30 seconds and I could repeat it everytime.

It seems the primary DNS server being set to my router's IPv6 address was causing the issue.

I have DNS filtering turned on and I'm using DNS over TLS, but for some reason the Shield TV doesn't like that and it assigns the primary DNS with an IPv6 address. May not be DNS over TLS related, I'm not sure.

I made a custom DNS for the Shield TV based on the MAC address and set the DNS to 1.1.1.1

Now the Shield TV is no longer being filtered via DNS over TLS. The primary DNS address now shows as 1.1.1.1 and secondary is empty.

UPDATE:

I thought it was working, but no such luck.

It just dropped again 40 after minutes of time-shifting an SD channel. I'm not even using it. It's just streaming in the background while I'm using the PC input on my AVR. So it doesn't happen when I try to FF or rewind.

I checked the client error messages and it just says failure to receive data at XYZ number.

We had a power outage a few days ago and it was out so long while I was asleep the UPS was completely drained even though my PC shuts down after 5 minutes and the other stuff can run for 1.5 hours. The HDHR system log starts up with these lines...

19700101-00:00:44 System: ip address obtained: 192.168.0.3 / 255.255.255.0
19700101-00:01:07 System: myhdhomerun_sync: webclient error (dns failed)
20201226-18:31:09 System: time changed from Thu Jan  1 00:11:23 1970 to Sat Dec 26 18:31:09 2020
I assume that's normal as it is waiting for my internet connection and/or router to finish booting?

I DL'd and installed the HDHR app and I've got it streaming time-shifted on the same channel. I'll see how long that lasts, the Shield isn't supposed to turn off for 3 hours and I have the screensaver set to 1.5 hours. I'm exhausted atm. I need to eat and try to relax. I can't help but obsess over things like this, lol. Is the Kodi version I d/l over the google play store any different than the one I sideload onto my Fire TV?

I'm using the 32-bit tube Shield TV.

Thanks so much for your help.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

DNS shouldn't be involved at all for things like Live TV and recordings; everything is done via IP (v4) address exclusively. DNS only comes into play here for getting cloud/web content, like your recording rules, EPG data, etc.

While it will be interesting to see what happens, I don't know how the HDHomeRun app deals with failures; it may retry the operation more times than can be done with the PVR addon. Hopefully it will die if something goes wrong, but I don't know if that will be the case.

Also, yes, it's normal for the HDHomeRun tuner(s) to have temporary DNS lookup failures when the network isn't 100% available for them. But, keep in mind, the problem you're running into is with the RECORD engine (Scribe) exclusively, your tuner(s) are never being accessed directly. Even for Live TV everything goes through RECORD by default. There is an option I have to stream Live TV via the tuner(s) directly you can try, but that also disables timeshifting since there is no buffer, seemingly defeating the entire test.

The data path for Live TV goes like this:

HDHomeRun Tuner --> HDHomeRun RECORD --> Disk File --> HDHomeRun RECORD --> PVR addon

The data path for Recorded TV goes like this:

Disk File --> HDHomeRun RECORD --> PVR addon

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

It just crapped out using the HD HomeRun to stream the same SD channel. It made it a little less than 40 minutes, which seems to be a common time that this occurs.

Maybe I'll just try turning IPv6 off on the shield although I hate to do that, because it's not a real fix, but at this point I'm not sure I care. I just want it to work, lol.

The SD channel has 90%+ signal quality and 100% strength. Never breaks up or anything. So I figured it was a good low bitrate option to try.

The ONLY difference with the HDHR app is immediately after the stream died the HDHR app started it up again. Still the live buffer was lost and playback failed so it's not really much consolation.

20201230-04:33:11 Tuner: tuner0 tuning 67.2 GetTV (8vsb:605MHz-2)
20201230-04:33:12 Tuner: tuner0 streaming http to 192.168.0.3:46012
20201230-05:13:04 Tuner: tuner0 http stream ended (remote closed)
20201230-05:13:13 Tuner: tuner0 tuning 67.2 GetTV (8vsb:605MHz-2)
20201230-05:13:13 Tuner: tuner0 streaming http to 192.168.0.3:46018
Is what it looks like after failing and then auto-restarting which seems to be an HDHR thing. I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad that the app didn't work either.

I could probably unplug the phone from ethernet for a few hours and see if anything changes over a wired connection.

I may have the same issue with the Fire TV. As far as I know it stops apps after 15 minutes or so. I'll have to try and test that and make sure it really works.

Thanks for your post. I will try the FireTV and see how long it goes before dropping the channel, if it drops it at all.

I noticed in my network map on my router, when I first plugged in the HDHR it had a lil '2' logo on top of the device. It said something like this device is running two instances on your network. That badge disappeared after the power went out. I'm not sure if it means anything, but I figured I'd let you know.

I'm going to try the fire TV for as long as it'll go w/o powering off to see if results are different.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

I'm actually sorry it fails via HDHomeRun app as well since it's taking it out of my hands (It's been a good while since I had a proper defect to fix around here!), BUT this opens you up to much wider support; now you can also raise the concern in the HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting forum (viewforum.php?f=119) as you can demonstrate the problem exists end-to-end using just the official HDHomeRun products.

That's what I would recommend at this point; way more people are going to see the problem there and may have the silver bullet you're looking for. Be sure to either add your HDHomeRun Tuner device id(s) to your profile or post them along with the concern, SiliconDust can look at your Scribe device logs remotely and see if the problem is happening at that level. They're good at figuring these things out, you will be in good hands.

I'll watch for any such posts there and if you think I can contribute anything of value just say the word in case I miss it. Always here except when I'm not :)

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

Thanks, I'll follow your suggestions. I suppose it is possible it could be an issue with the device itself, but I never noticed anything on the FireTV, though I did not use it as much.

I'll have to see if I can set a remote stream with it for a while and see how long it goes before failing. I'll probably wait until tomorrow to post in the other forum. I'm pretty much beat at this point and just tired of fussing with it.

The really weird thing is that I'm running stuff on the FireTV and it's working without issue. Been about an hour so far, switched to the channel that I've been testing.

I did more testing time-shifting at the same time on both the Fire TV and the Shield TV. Shield TV gives me nothing but issues constantly dropping the channels during time-shifted playback.

The Fire TV is solid as a rock and I haven't seen it drop a single channel so far. I just don't get it. If it was an issue with the HDHR unit you'd think I'd experience the issue on both streaming devices.

The fact that it ONLY happens on the Shield TV is very odd. The only difference between the two during playback is the Fire TV converts all the DD audio into DD+, which I'm not a fan of.

The Shield TV converts the DD audio into Multichannel PCM, which is fine as that is basically the same thing the AVR would do.

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

Everything still works perfectly on the FireTV and I have nothing buy issues w/ the Shield TV. Finally I found a post where someone stated that the "live channels" that is installed by default on the ShieldTV hijacked their tuner and caused all kinds of problems.

You can't uninstall the app, but you can force close and disable it. I have a feeling this might be the fix I need. I tried changing the Shield to 2.4ghz, still issues, etc.

I also noticed the issue seems to happen much more frequently when I back out of the video into the Kodi UI, but not 100%.

I was really hopeful that might be it, but nope. It still crashed as soon as I hit the back button and exited out of the video into the Kodi UI.

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

I went back to Shield Channels and uninstalled "updates" when I looked at it a second time. Then I force closed it and disabled it. I left Shield TV streaming when I went to bed and it didn't stop for a little over 2 hours.

I was hopeful this had fixed it, but then I remembered to check the client specific errors and there are 5-6 of the zero stream length errors.

Now that I look, the Screensaver was set to come up after 2 hours and the device lasted just a couple minutes over 2 hours. So I think it's possible the screensaver interrupted playback and that is why it stopped and also why the zero stream length errors appear.

Unfortunately the longest I can set the screensaver delay is 2 hours and it can't be turned off. Not that I need Live TV streaming in the background all the time, just for the purposes of testing it would be helpful.

I think the screensaver is what stopped playback last night. Looking at the log it ran for 2h11m before stopping. Which is just about as long as I was fooling with it before I went to bed + 2 hours.

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall »

Excuse me for jumping in, but are you saying that the screensaver is coming on WHILE live TV has been playing for 2+ hours? I have a Shield that plays live TV using the HDHR app for more than 18 hours most every day and the screensaver never comes on. My screensaver settings are as follows:

Screen saver
Backdrop

When to start
After 5 minutes of inactivity

Put device to sleep
Never

Stay awake on Music
On