Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

DornoDios
Device ID: 152029F9

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by DornoDios »

Ken.F wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:36 pm
DornoDios wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:21 pm At least there aren't any bricks in the way. Just drywall and stucco which still isn't good, but it's better than a brick wall.
Stucco is worse than a brick wall if it has metal netting behind it.
Thanks, I tried putting it there and the reception wasn't good, so that may be why. In the end I ended up placing the antenna on the interior wall of my room opposite the window that faces the stations. The signal quality for Fox, which is the only one I had an issue with is better here than it was at the window oddly. Some of the other channels have dropped in signal strength, but everything is above 80% for strength and quality. I recorded the Pac-12 championship on Fox, so I'll have a chance later to watch it and see if the signal is good enough.

The main problem is the antenna I have is garbage and it uses an unshielded coax cable. When I had it next to my cable modem signal quality dropped 15%. Just picking it up and moving it to the other side of my computer alleviated the problem.

I'll see how things go and depending on frequency of dropouts I may get a different antenna. Might be a similar one, but at the very least one that has an RG6 or removable cable.

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

The Shield TV normy edition that I ordered will be here tomorrow.

I won't be able to restore a backup I've made of Kodi on my FireTV to the Shield TV will I? The backup addon has options to avoid restoring certain things. So I was thinking that I 'might' be able to restore a backup if I only restore certain things like the database and the thumbnails etc. I hate the idea of setting another device up. I'm starting to wonder if I should just forget about the passthrough audio and stay with the FireTV. I'll see how excited I am when it gets here tomorrow, lol. I'm starting to run out of steam. I need to relax and actually watch some TV.

Is there a specific time amount that is good for updating Kodi with the guide data from the backend?

For some reason my device was set to 2880 minutes, which is the max of 2 days. I thought that was the default until I went to mess with my mothers fire TV to turn off the timer rule notifications. Then I saw hers was set to update the guide from the backend every 120 minutes and "don't update while watching TV" wasn't toggled on.

So I toggled updating the guide to off while watching TV. Then I set the backend guide update to once every 6 hours.

So far I'm really really happy with this new setup and I think it will liberate us from DirecTV. I don't think I'd be nearly as happy if I had to use the HDHomeRun app or a Plex server to watch TV. Your add-on really makes this product what it should be. It's freaking incredible!

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

DornoDios wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:28 pm I won't be able to restore a backup I've made of Kodi on my FireTV to the Shield TV will I?
You technically can, but it's honestly not worth the effort you'll put into it. It will take you far longer (IMO) to copy all the settings from one Kodi instance to another than it would be to just set them up again.
DornoDios wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:28 pm Is there a specific time amount that is good for updating Kodi with the guide data from the backend?

For some reason my device was set to 2880 minutes, which is the max of 2 days. I thought that was the default until I went to mess with my mothers fire TV to turn off the timer rule notifications. Then I saw hers was set to update the guide from the backend every 120 minutes and "don't update while watching TV" wasn't toggled on.
This really depends on the device running Kodi. The EPG data, by requirement, will always be retrieved as a 14-day data load. The number of days you set in Kodi doesn't change the amount of data that needs to be retrieved and processed, but it does change how much of that data will be sent to Kodi. If you're sitting on a Windows-based Intel Core i7 Gen 10 machine with a hot SSD/Optane rocking a gig Internet connection, the difference between processing 2 and 14 days of data is almost unnoticeable. On a realistic device like an Amazon Fire TV / Amazon Firestick, the storage is much slower and the time it will take for the addon to process and store the data increases (unavoidably), but so does the time it takes to send that data to Kodi. The addon does not allow you to control the data load frequency, again this is by requirement, but limiting the number of days of data Kodi wants will improve overall performance. As a rule of thumb, I recommend 3 days for devices that aren't the "primary" device, and 7 days if the device is indeed the "primary" device. "Primary" meaning it's where you might be searching the EPG for things to record, or using the Kodi Search function to find upcoming programs. The more data you have, the more likely you are to find what you are looking for.

Updating the EPG from the "backend" in Kodi will be as close to a noop (no operation) as you can get, since everything is stored in the PVR addon database. Same rules apply, of course, if the storage on the device is slow this will take longer than you might appreciate. The data will be there regardless of the time period you set, and you can't (by design/requirement) change how often that data will get reloaded, so I think it really boils down to how much time/pain you can endure watching Kodi startup and/or update the EPG.
DornoDios wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:28 pm So far I'm really really happy with this new setup and I think it will liberate us from DirecTV. I don't think I'd be nearly as happy if I had to use the HDHomeRun app or a Plex server to watch TV. Your add-on really makes this product what it should be. It's freaking incredible!
Very happy to have been assistance to, and adding value to, your experience. The real credit goes to SiliconDust for creating and maintaining an "open" environment and providing the necessary support for those taking advantage of it. None of this would be possible without them and their positive outlook towards third party contributors.

Let me know if anything here didn't make sense; it's a Friday night in 2020 after all, and we can't all be Angels 24/7, if you know what I mean :)

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

I do know what you mean. I went to bed sometime after the sun came up, lol. I woke up around 4pm.

You make a good point about HDHR allowing 3rd party software and also allowing access to the things you need to make an add-on work with their product. You are still the man in my book, lol.

I have both units set to 14 day guides right now and there is a bit of a pause when Kodi first starts. It didn't really bother me, but it does take maybe 15 seconds from start to finish. I'm sure the Shield TV will be faster. So I'm going to follow your advice and set my device to 7-14 days. I'll set my mothers to 3 so hers is faster to start up. I'll be the person setting up most of our series recordings anyway. The time for guide data didn't really seem like an issue even when set to 14 days on the Fire TV pendant. There's definitely a delay before you can see the guide, but I was expecting a much worse experience. The speed at which the Fire TV can scan through the guide is just absurdly fast.

Someone posted a video review of the Tablo DVR that has 2 tuners and connects over HDMI in their forum. The speed of the UI was so hideously slow it was absurd. They released an update that improved it some, but it was still garbage. That's also the only device they sell that doesn't transcode the video before sending it over wifi. I still don't understand how people have trouble maintaining 2MB/s wifi speeds unless you have a huge house and then you should just pay for cable anyway, lol. I think that video caused me to have really low expectations and thus I was totally blown away by the speed of your add-on.

The main reason I want to restore a backup on the Shield TV is because of the various network shares I have that make up the library. I also have a number of different folders marked as favorites so they don't show up in the library, but instead as just lists of files. At the very least I can copy over the 3 main files in user data that contain the sources and passwords to save myself some time.

I'm exhausted today. I don't plan on taking the Shield TV out of the box until tomorrow. Maybe I'll open it up and look at it to get some dopamine flowing, but I'm not setting it up until Monday at the earliest. I just have too much football to watch between now and then, lol.

I thought about getting the ATSC 3.0 tuner that has 2 new and 2 old tuners. Our area doesn't have any ATSC 3 broadcasts yet. Though we are currently a 'targeted' or 'projected' area. The 5 year ATSC 1.0 sunset requirement means by the time we're actually required to do something we will very likely have already updated to newer hardware.

Does anybody know if the Scribe will still work as a tuner only if the internal HDD fails or is removed? Basically you would just take the HDD out and then it's a Quatro tuner ideally. In reality it might not be so simple?

So far it seems like my antenna is picking up all the stations I want properly. I haven't watched enough TV yet to really see if it's adequate or not. So far it seems to be, but I need to check some different channels.

I should know by tomorrow whether I'm receiving an adequate signal. I didn't think about using painters tape to hold up the antenna until after I 'mounted' it.

This is kind of a silly question, but how do I pay them for next years DVR service? I'm guessing I missed that step because I didn't use any of their apps and just went directly to Kodi and the add-on? I'll just get in contact with support, lol.

obliojoe

Post by obliojoe »

First off, I've been running this plugin with a HDHR PRIME for a couple years now and it works fantastically. This is easily one of the best and most-used pieces of software in my life. Even my wife loves it! We have it running on multiple Shield TV boxes in the house, as well as several computers and tablets. Amazing stuff.

My question: I lucked into a CONNECT DUO and thought it would be nice to add a couple tuners for local channels. It is all set up and working, the plugin finds all of the channels and allows me to tune to them. But I'm not getting guide data for any of the DUO channels. If I open the HDHR client software, I do see the guide data.

Is this a supported configuration? If so, any thoughts on how I might this working?

Thanks so much!

obe

djp952

Post by djp952 »

You will need to associate the new tuner(s) with your DVR account in order to access guide data for channels exclusive to them.

And I'm glad you like it! It's pretty much our entire TV existence here too :) Disney+ is getting a lot of use over the holidays, though. I'd miss conventional TV if it ever goes away ..

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

Hey Obliojoe,

Do you think it matters that the non-pro version of the ShieldTV is only 32-bit and the pro version is 64-bit? I don't want to regret not spending the extra $50 in a couple years because XYZ doesn't support 32-bit Android anymore. If there's any chance the lack of 64-bit support will come back to bite me in the future I'd rather spend the extra money now. I only intend to use it for streaming activities and no Plex transcoding.

obliojoe

Post by obliojoe »

djp952 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:36 pm You will need to associate the new tuner(s) with your DVR account in order to access guide data for channels exclusive to them.
I'm not sure why, but after restarting Kodi a few times the guide data eventually showed up. I didn't take any extra steps, but all is happy now.

Thanks again!

obliojoe

Post by obliojoe »

DornoDios wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:47 pm Hey Obliojoe,

Do you think it matters that the non-pro version of the ShieldTV is only 32-bit and the pro version is 64-bit?
I'm not sure, but I have not had any problems at all with my non-pro versions. All of my Shield devices run Kodi super fast and they are able play every video file I throw at them. I do have one of the newer and smaller cylinder style devices - which works great as well.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

obliojoe wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:52 pm I'm not sure why, but after restarting Kodi a few times the guide data eventually showed up. I didn't take any extra steps, but all is happy now.

Thanks again!
Inserting official <shoulder_shrug> with an <your_guess_is_as_good_as_mine> emoji :) I'm happy that it's working now! For me, it's pretty quick getting EPG when I hook up an old OTA tuner for something, but then again I think all mine are already associated with my account so when they show up again it's not a problem. Maybe it just takes some time for something new to fully register? Wish I had an answer, but in this case the ends truly justify the means!!!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

DornoDios wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:47 pm Do you think it matters that the non-pro version of the ShieldTV is only 32-bit and the pro version is 64-bit?
In my opinion, no. There are going to be 32-bit ARM devices out there for quite some time. For our purposes here, there will be little to no difference in performance between 32 and 64-bit devices, the bulk of the "work" is going to be done by the hardware itself. I'd say there is a small chance that you may find some external Android app that won't work on 32-bit devices anymore, but in regard to Kodi and this addon my opinion is you are quite safe with the non-pro version, and upping to the pro isn't going to gain you anything.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

As an FYI, today I added a pretty cool little function for the next version that I hope will help with any of the truly weird data problems people run into from time to time, and for things like API changes or new devices that the PVR chokes on.

Moving forward, there will be an option in the PVR & Live TV "Client specific settings" called Export discovery diagnostic data. What this does is run through all of the discovery operations individually and save the results into a handy .zip file that you can send me. I strip out your DVR account e-mail address, if present, and your tuner Device Authorization strings so it should be PII (Personally Identifiable Information) free. I think it will be nice to be able to request this and be able to see everything the PVR is seeing without asking you guys to jump through hoops.

The only catch is on Leia, due to Kodi limitations you can only save the file within the Kodi home folder. On Matrix, you can put it pretty much anywhere which is nice.

I only know of one outstanding issue where this will help me, and I've already sent a version over to him, but if anyone is dying to see it work I could release a beta version. It's kinda boring unless you're in the throes of a disaster or you really just want to see all the data involved with this thing.

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

I have a question.

I set up both my device (Fire TV so far) and my mothers (same).

I set up a group for All Channels and one for HD Channels.

On my device initially there was a horizontal line at the top of the guide I could go to and select All or HD channels. At some point that went away, not sure when, but now if I want to switch I go all the way to the left and select the channel group I want out of the list.

I prefer the way it's working on my mother's device where at the top above all the channels it lists All Channels and then HD Channels.

The only downside of having it work that way is you can't skip back from channel 1 to the very bottom channel by going up from channel once which sends you down to the lowest channel number.

I only have 36 legitimate channels that show anything I might every possibly even want to watch. 11 are in HD. There are more HD channels, but they are either religious content or Spanish language.

Do you know what might have caused the difference between my Kodi install and my mother's that would cause hers to show the two channel groups at the top of the guide screen in a horizontal line? Mine only shows them if I move all the way to the left and pick the HD channels group out of the menu that comes up. Though mine initially showed it the way hers is before I messed with it

It's not really a big deal and something I can probably do without, but I'd just prefer they both function identically because I'll be the person she calls for help, lol.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

There are two ways to control channel groups in Kodi:

1) Let the PVR do it. This PVR supports four channel groups: "Favorite Channels", "HD Channels", "SD Channels" and "Demo Channels". Based on the metadata received from the tuner(s), these groups will be populated and sent to Kodi based on how your tuner channel lineup(s) are set via the tuner's web interface. If you placed a gold star on a channel, it will be in "Favorite Channels". If the channel is reported as HD, it will be in "HD Channels". If the channel is not reported as HD, it will be in "SD Channels". "Demo Channels" is a legacy feature that may or may not appear again the future, but if it does it will be supported :)

2) Let Kodi do it. I've never personally done this, but I believe if you turn OFF Settings / PVR & Live TV / General / Synchronize channel groups with backend(s) you are on your own using the Kodi Group Manager (Settings / PVR & Live TV / General / Group manager). This will define your channel groups in the Kodi database instead of getting them from the PVR (again, I think).

I would check both the Synchronize channel groups with backend(s) setting as well as the Kodi Group manager on both systems to see why you are getting different results.

Out of curiosity, do you find the channel groups provided by the PVR inadequate in some way? To my knowledge they are accurate and correct and should provide you with appropriate "All Channels" and "HD Channels" groups. Would the PVR implementation meet your needs if there was a way to enable/disable each of the four provided groups so they never show up?

obliojoe

Post by obliojoe »

DornoDios wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:23 pm On my device initially there was a horizontal line at the top of the guide I could go to and select All or HD channels. At some point that went away, not sure when, but now if I want to switch I go all the way to the left and select the channel group I want out of the list.
I use groups on all of my devices - for things like Sports / Movies / Wife's Favorites / etc. I turn of the "sync with backend" option and manually adjust the groups.

As far as the bar at the top of the guide, do you mean like this:

I think the guide's functionality is dependent on the skin. Are you using the same skin on both devices? The above screenshot is from the default Estuary skin.

If you have no groups, or all of your groups hidden, you'll see this:

FYI - I configure my remotes to switch between channel groups with a single keypress (I use my "guide" key - first press opens the guide and each subsequent press changes top the next channel group). This is super handy. Not sure how easy that is on fire TV, but might be worth looking into.
https://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap#Actions