Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

FoodLioon

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by FoodLioon »

djp952 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:04 pm Yup. This :) Only thing to add is that if you have multiple PVR clients installed in Kodi, this setting won't do anything. I added an alternative method to get the real channel number for folks that fall into this category. Go into the addon settings (Addons / My Addons / PVR Clients / HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client / Configure), and there is an Interface category. If you turn on Prepend channel numbers to channel names, the channel number will become part of the name. For example for my Kodi channel 38 I would see "38 511 WBAL-DT" instead of "38 WBAL-DT". (It looks better than you'd think based on this - lol)
Kodi added ability to have multiple PVR clients and backend channel numbers in Matrix. When you install the second PVR you get more options. I tried with zuki and NextPVR.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

Enjoy the remainder of your 2020 folks!

Version: 3.3.4 (2020.12.09)
  • Update SQLite database engine to version 3.34.0
  • Update cURL library to version 7.74.0
  • (Linux) Retarget ARMEL build to require ARMv6 architecture
  • (Matrix) Universal Windows (UWP) .MSIX packages are now available
Downloads: MATRIX USERS: Version 3.3.4 and beyond will require Matrix Beta 1 or later; Matrix Beta 2 is recommended

(Matrix) Universal Windows (UWP) .MSIX packages are now available
As of Matrix Beta 2, there are now usable .MSIX base packages from Team Kodi that work for Universal Windows (Windows 10, XBox One, Xbox Series S|X). Matrix also added a build for Windows 10 ARM devices, which is supported as well. Unfortunately, I don't have a workable Windows 10 ARM setup so while I can tell you it will install, I can't tell you if or how well it will work. I actually installed Windows 10 on a Raspberry Pi 3 to test this, but the graphics drivers are insufficient for Kodi. It installed, it launched, it died. Best I can do from here :)

As for "what's next", I found that the cross-compiler I'm using for OS/X has been superseded by a better one that can target iOS and tvOS! While I have no iOS or tvOS devices, I'm sure lots of folks do. My plan is to get it to work for OS/X so I can test it out and then try to find/enlist helpers for working on iOS and tvOS. I have some other unrelated things going on I'd like to finish up first, but finally getting tvOS support would be an especially cool way to start 2021.

Have a safe and happy holiday season; not going anywhere so if you have questions and problems - fire away!

Oh, one more small thing; I've enabled the new GitHub discussions feature for this project, we can try that out as an alternative to spamming SiliconDust's forums forever. They have been very gracious to tolerate this activity for years now ... https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerundvr/discussions.

gunbunny

Post by gunbunny »

Having a similar problem to @canajien on this post but running Leia and all the latest updates. (System specs below)

I can go into "Recordings" and it will show the top-level folders (i.e. "The Office", "Movies", etc) but once you get in there, no recordings are shown. They show up fine under the HDHomeRun app on all platforms, just not on this. Is it possible that all the recordings are marked as watched in the DB? Is there any way to turn off hiding marked recordings?

Here are the system specs:
HDHomeRun Server
HDHomeRun PRIME firmware 20200907
HDHomeRun RECORD version 20200907

Client
Raspberry Pi 3
OSMC 2020-10-1
Kodi 18.8
Zuki PVR plugin 3.3.4

djp952

Post by djp952 »

gunbunny wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:27 pm Having a similar problem to @canajien on this post but running Leia and all the latest updates. (System specs below)

I can go into "Recordings" and it will show the top-level folders (i.e. "The Office", "Movies", etc) but once you get in there, no recordings are shown. They show up fine under the HDHomeRun app on all platforms, just not on this. Is it possible that all the recordings are marked as watched in the DB? Is there any way to turn off hiding marked recordings?

Here are the system specs:
HDHomeRun Server
HDHomeRun PRIME firmware 20200907
HDHomeRun RECORD version 20200907

Client
Raspberry Pi 3
OSMC 2020-10-1
Kodi 18.8
Zuki PVR plugin 3.3.4
Based on the description I think there is either an error occurring in the PVR addon or Kodi itself (how nebulous is this answer - lol)? Can I get a copy of the Kodi log from the system (or if you can search it for errors and post what you find?) The addon is pretty good about reporting exceptional events.

The recordings themselves are stored in the PVR database as a big flat table from the RECORD engine data, there isn't really a concept of the top-level folder vs the individual recordings, so the PVR is definitely sending something to Kodi, weird that it's not showing properly.

gunbunny

Post by gunbunny »

djp952 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:00 pm Based on the description I think there is either an error occurring in the PVR addon or Kodi itself (how nebulous is this answer - lol)? Can I get a copy of the Kodi log from the system (or if you can search it for errors and post what you find?) The addon is pretty good about reporting exceptional events.

The recordings themselves are stored in the PVR database as a big flat table from the RECORD engine data, there isn't really a concept of the top-level folder vs the individual recordings, so the PVR is definitely sending something to Kodi, weird that it's not showing properly.
I did see this on one of the lines:
ERROR: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: update_recordings_task failed due to an exception: Missing a comma or ']' after an array element. (1)

A few more data points that might help debug the issue:

1. I switched from the OSMC skin to the default Kodi skin. I could then see the list of recordings, but I couldn't select any of them to play.
2. I went into the Chorus web control, and could see and play all of the recordings.

The full log file can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6hes79w7g3ja ... g.zip?dl=1

djp952

Post by djp952 »

gunbunny wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:49 pm I did see this on one of the lines:
ERROR: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: update_recordings_task failed due to an exception: Missing a comma or ']' after an array element. (1)
Interesting; never seen this one before. This is saying that the JSON from the RECORD engine can't be parsed. 3.3.4 updated SQLite, which is where the JSON parsing takes place, it could be an issue there or it could be an issue with the JSON itself. Could even be a special character in the JSON that is tripping up SQLite.

Would you mind sending me a copy of your recorded_files.json? I'll PM you an e-mail address to use and explain how to grab this. Disclaimer: This would show me everything you have recorded on your DVR, as well as your RECORD engine's IP address and port, but doesn't expose anything specific personally identifiable information.

To get this is pretty easy, go into any web browser on your network and hit: http://ipv4-api.hdhomerun.com/discover. One of the devices listed will have a StorageID attribute. As part of that device you'll see a "StorageURL" (for example, mine is: http://192.168.0.220:50000/recorded_files.json); copy that and open it in a web browser. This should get you a bunch of text. If you can save that off and send it to me I can run it through the JSON parser to see why it's upset.

Thanks for the extra information, I have a few hundred recordings and didn't run into this; I hope it's not a SQLite bug, but if it is I sincerely apologize!

PMing you e-mail addrs now ...

edit: Doh, I forgot that we have to chase each series now. I'll PM you again; it will actually be easier to send the PVR database file :(

DornoDios
Device ID: 107C3D26

Post by DornoDios »

I'm thinking of getting one of these devices. I already have a few Fire TV 4k's setup with Kodi and accessing network mounted storage.

I'd likely get a Scribe Quatro as I don't want to bother with networked storage and we don't watch enough TV to need more than 150 hours of recordings.

I just had a couple of questions about using this device with Kodi.

Does this addon allow the HDHomeRun to make scheduled recordings when the internet is down for more than 4 hours? Is there a way to use the Kodi add-on to set a recording for 7pm if the internet has been down since noon?

NickK said "The SCRIBE will continue to record scheduled recordings for 4 hours without internet. You won't be able to change what is to be recorded however.

We should up the safety net to be more than 4 hours - I will file a feature request internally."

The above quote was in reference to a question I asked regarding how long the HDHR would continue recording scheduled programming without internet access.

From reading I understand you can watch live TV when the internet is out if you use this add-on. Can you also watch previously recorded programs via Kodi when the internet is out?

Can you start watching a football game while it's still being recorded?

I was reading about the recording rules regarding the timers. Is it possible to record a specific football game and set the recording end time to 90 minutes after the game is supposed to end? If I have to set the recording outside of Kodi that's fine. I just need to be able to manually record certain sporting events and extend the recording time for those events. Or at the very least record all football games and extend time by 90 minutes.

Thank you, sorry for all the questions. Hopefully they haven't all been answered before.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

DornoDios wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:53 pm Does this addon allow the HDHomeRun to make scheduled recordings when the internet is down for more than 4 hours? Is there a way to use the Kodi add-on to set a recording for 7pm if the internet has been down since noon?
No. All recording is done with the HDHomeRun RECORD (DVR) service instance on your network. If it's without Internet for too long it does indeed stop working. Whether or not that's still 4 hours I'm not sure, but the Kodi addon doesn't handle recording at all, it just shows you what is expected to record, and of course view your recordings.
DornoDios wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:53 pm From reading I understand you can watch live TV when the internet is out if you use this add-on. Can you also watch previously recorded programs via Kodi when the internet is out?

Can you start watching a football game while it's still being recorded?
Yes to both. Anything that's already on the HDHomeRun RECORD (or anything in progress) can be viewed without Internet access. The behavior of in-progress recordings is a little different than fully recorded programs, but you can still skip backwards, and forwards up until you hit the wall clock time. Can't skip into the future :) Note that there is a bit a delay for the addon to know when something is being recorded (10 minutes by default? It's configurable) since it has to go out and look, but overall the behavior is pretty solid these days, I don't think you'd run into any concerns at all here.
DornoDios wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:53 pm I was reading about the recording rules regarding the timers. Is it possible to record a specific football game and set the recording end time to 90 minutes after the game is supposed to end? If I have to set the recording outside of Kodi that's fine. I just need to be able to manually record certain sporting events and extend the recording time for those events. Or at the very least record all football games and extend time by 90 minutes.
Yes. As a matter of fact my wife used to record shows on CBS that aired after football, and they were always delayed, so we added a 2-hour end padding to that rule. The start/end padding is configurable when you create the timer rule, and it can be edited as well. I don't think you can edit it reliably if the recording is in progress, though, not sure the HDHomeRun RECORD service goes out and re-reads that. For a one-off recording like a specific game, when you're in the EPG you right-click on it and select "Add Timer" instead of just choosing "Record". Then you have the ability to set these options. For a one-time recording you'd change it to "Record Once", and then set the end padding to the value you want.
DornoDios wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:53 pm Thank you, sorry for all the questions. Hopefully they haven't all been answered before.
Absolutely no problem at all. If you go this route, you will probably have some additional questions about Timers and Timer Rules; that's understandable! The way the HDHomeRun ecosystem works is a bit different than any other PVR; I've done by best to make it mostly work like a regular PVR via Kodi, but it takes some getting used to. Please feel free to ask questions at any time, my friend. Always happy to answer, and I'll never lie to you (on purpose at least; I do make mistakes!)

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

Thank you SO much for your very detailed and helpful reply! Also thank you for all the work you have put in to make this addon what it is today. I'm almost certainly going to get the Scribe Quatro at some point in the near future.

We currently have DirecTV and it's just too much money. I'll probably wait until the NFL regular season ends because I have Sunday Ticket so I can watch my home town team.

I'm not particularly happy with DTV's local channel picture quality and currently CBS is off the air in our market since December 1st. The Scribe Quatro records and plays back the native Mpeg-2 stream sent out OTA correct?

The only real issue I have with this unit is with the recordings not occurring if it is offline for more than 4 hours. Thankfully NickK put in a feature request to extend the "safety period" to a longer amount of time on December 12, 2020. When and if that feature request actually makes it into the software installed on our devices is anybody's guess. I hope they extend it to 12 hours minimum, but we'll have to wait and see.

Why is it that the HDHR DVR engine can't record a program when the internet goes down? Does the background DVR Engine just cease working when disconnected from the internet? Obviously it can record without internet because it does so for 4 hours after an outage. It seems like a limitation that doesn't need to exist. I understand their current 'apps' are Javascript web pages and so no internet means no app. What I don't understand is why the backend DVR engine has to stop working because the internet is down. The device is still available over the local network. I'm guessing it has something to do with the program guide and is a means of them ensuring that people pay the $35 annual fee for guide data?

How often do you have to manually intervene with the Scribe and reboot it or power it off and then back on again? Is it reliable and consistent when it comes to recording the things you expect it to record absent an internet outage?

I think you said that you don't recommend the Fire TV as your daily driver. We have a couple of the 3rd gen Fire TV that is a pendant. It plays back 1080i Mpeg2 streams without issue. Are you referring to video playback issues or UI issues etc? Is there another affordable device that is better? I know the Shield is the best device available, but it's just too expensive for me right now.

Again, thanks so much for all your help. I'm thinking about ordering one very soon so I can set it up and see if it does what I need it to.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

DornoDios wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:32 pm Why is it that the HDHR DVR engine can't record a program when the internet goes down? Does the background DVR Engine just cease working when disconnected from the internet? Obviously it can record without internet because it does so for 4 hours after an outage. It seems like a limitation that doesn't need to exist. I understand their current 'apps' are Javascript web pages and so no internet means no app. What I don't understand is why the backend DVR engine has to stop working because the internet is down. The device is still available over the local network. I'm guessing it has something to do with the program guide and is a means of them ensuring that people pay the $35 annual fee for guide data?
The way the DVR works is every hour (or up to two hours according to logs) the engine checks to see what is to be recorded in the next 4 hours as a result it can be as little as 2 hours without internet access when it doesn't have its "orders" for the next program to be recorded (though most likely 3-4 hours). I believe the main reason for this is that guide data is "easily" delivered/checked for that 4 hour period after that it takes a little bit more to look that something is marked in the guide to be recorded. There has been talk about expanding that to 8 hours (or up to 24) all the way back when the DVR first started 5+ years ago.
How often do you have to manually intervene with the Scribe and reboot it or power it off and then back on again? Is it reliable and consistent when it comes to recording the things you expect it to record absent an internet outage?
Generally SD's devices are "solid" and "never" need rebooting. As far as not recording I haven't personally really seen any issues unless the drive becomes full (other than quirks with how the DVR decides to record for example if a series recording doesn't have episode information it will only record once until deleted as though the cloud presents the subsequent episodes to record, the engine itself may decide it already has it when it doesn't have information to distinguish between the two)

djp952

Post by djp952 »

DornoDios wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:32 pm The Scribe Quatro records and plays back the native Mpeg-2 stream sent out OTA correct?
Yup! It doesn't modify anything; what you see is what you get. Keeping in mind that the application decoding the data (Kodi, HDHomeRun App, etc) is also responsible for making sure that it's done properly, but for MPEG-2 that's rarely a problem anymore.
DornoDios wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:32 pm Why is it that the HDHR DVR engine can't record a program when the internet goes down?
It's not so much that it can't, it's more about not getting it's "marching orders" per-se. The RECORD engine has to check in with the backend services to see what it needs to do, I guess 4 hours seemed like a reasonable amount of time when it was implemented. SiliconDust does a good job of trying to limit bandwidth and the general "chattiness" of it's products. As long as the RECORD engine knows what to do for the next few hours, or if it can connect to the backend when it's "poked" (it's a thing) it will keep chugging along happily. The problem comes in when it's been offline for longer than the amount of data it collected. It's not really down or unable to function, it just doesn't know there is work to be done.
DornoDios wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:32 pm How often do you have to manually intervene with the Scribe and reboot it or power it off and then back on again? Is it reliable and consistent when it comes to recording the things you expect it to record absent an internet outage?
Can't answer that, don't have a Scribe and I don't think I've been without Internet for more than 4 hours in ... forever? As long as we have power, the FiOS works here :) I have RECORD installed on a WD NAS, and it's quite reliable. Exceedingly reliable, in fact.
DornoDios wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:32 pm I think you said that you don't recommend the Fire TV as your daily driver. We have a couple of the 3rd gen Fire TV that is a pendant. It plays back 1080i Mpeg2 streams without issue. Are you referring to video playback issues or UI issues etc? Is there another affordable device that is better? I know the Shield is the best device available, but it's just too expensive for me right now.
I have general Kodi problems with it. Playback is generally OK with the 3rd Gen model(s), but the Kodi UI is dreadfully slow (to me) and more often than not I find a locked up Kodi requiring a force close. With the 4K specifically it would crash a lot. The new "Lite" doesn't crash with the updated FireOS, but the hardware decoder is still problematic for any channel that has 'wonky' data in it (Freeform, Disney XD, etc) on FiOS. If the FireStick runs into it, the decoder just dies. Nothing like that happens on any other device(s) I have.

I don't want to make you think it's a bad device, quite the opposite. I just don't like it compared to the other options I have available to me :)

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

Thanks again!

I'm only going to use the device for OTA broadcast channels. Is it possible that some of those channels will have weird data and/or crash?

Also, I know Kodi can't view protected content, but none of the stuff broadcast OTA is considered 'protected' is it?

Using Kodi right now it runs well on the Fire TV's that we have, but it doesn't get a ton of use. I'll probably give it a try and see if using it via Kodi on a FireTV 3rd gen is feasible or not.
If I have severe issues like crashing and lock ups I might just stick with DTV.

How much space does the addon and associated guide data and channel logos take up? I believe there is about 1.5GB free on her FireTV right now, Kodi v18.9 is already installed. Amazon keeps adding more lame 'apps' that you can't remove and of course space is limited.

Would a Shield TV non-pro version be suitable to run Kodi and your addon? They're $130 a piece right now via Amazon. So that might be an option if it doesn't work well with a fireTV. Even though it's more than I'd like to spend.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Quoting hard, switching to questions in BOLD :)

I'm only going to use the device for OTA broadcast channels. Is it possible that some of those channels will have weird data and/or crash?

Doubtful, all the weird stuff seems exclusive to digital cable providers, but there is always a chance that a broadcaster may have an encoder issue or something else that could trip things up. I've never been made aware of any such issues with using HDHomeRun through Kodi over the air, anyway. So .. possible, but unlikely.

Also, I know Kodi can't view protected content, but none of the stuff broadcast OTA is considered 'protected' is it?

Insofar as I know, no. It doesn't make much sense for something free over the air to be flagged as protected.

How much space does the addon and associated guide data and channel logos take up? I believe there is about 1.5GB free on her FireTV right now, Kodi v18.9 is already installed. Amazon keeps adding more lame 'apps' that you can't remove and of course space is limited.

Much less than you think, but it also depends on how many channels and recordings you have. The EPG data takes up the lionshare of space, and recordings come in a very distant second. I have 104 channels enabled, and 912 recordings, and my PVR database is 21MB. The addon size itself can be upwards of 2MB or so, depending on the platform. OTA you're not going to have hundreds and hundreds of channels, I'd be surprised if the addon and database took more than 10MB of space on her. Channel logos and whatnot are actually stored by Kodi, and again shouldn't be a real space concern there unless you start stockpiling the Music and Videos library with tens of thousands of things. With just TV data, I'm seeing under 8MB of total space for the Kodi databases.

Would a Shield TV non-pro version be suitable to run Kodi and your addon? They're $130 a piece right now via Amazon. So that might be an option if it doesn't work well with a fireTV. Even though it's more than I'd like to spend.

Absolutely. The only difference is Shield uses the ARM64 flavor of android as opposed to ARM (64-bit vs 32-bit). I'd definitely agree with giving the FireTV a shot first; why spend $$ you don't need to, right? And even then, if your FireTV doesn't have the Android Pie update yet I might suggest waiting for that too to see if anything you ran into goes away.

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

Thanks yet again!

I'm going to go ahead and go for it. I was pretty sure the free OTA content wasn't protected, but I just wanted to make sure. The amount of space it takes is trivial so that won't be an issue. Way more size is used up by Kodi when using its library features compared to your addon.

So yeah, I'll definitely try the FireTV pendants we have and see how they work and depending on a few things I might get a shield to compare it to. I think I'll probably be happy with the FireTV because I intend to turn off a lot of the channels. Plus it's just OTA channels.

Thanks so much for your help and answering my questions. I'll probably order it Wednesday and set it up Thursday or Friday. I don't think setup will take long at all. Most of the time taken will be backing up my current Kodi configuration just in case I manage to hose it.

I only use the Kodi libraries for Videos and not Music. Not all videos are in the library. Some are accessible from a list when I have a certain location set as a favorite either network or local network drive. Stuff someone might want to see, but not the kind of thing I want to keep in my collection indefinitely.

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

I have an AVR that's hooked up to a monitor. When using Kodi to play videos from my library all the audio is ahead by .3 seconds exactly. So I set the .3s delay in Kodi "for all media". When I watch DirecTV or I stream Netflix the audio is in sync. Is there an option to delay the audio for a PVR/DVR like you can when playing back an individual file in Kodi?

My AVR has "Auto Sync" but it doesn't appear to have any effect when playing library videos in Kodi. I still have auto-sync turned on, but regardless I need to delay audio in Kodi by .3s then it is perfect. I could set the delay on my AVR directly, but since the issue does not occur with Netflix or Amazon Prime I'd have to adjust it anytime I use one of those apps. I could probably tolerate that, but I just realized I'd also have to adjust it every single time I want to use my PC. So I'd have to go back and forth constantly and that just won't work. I passthrough the audio to my AVR because obviously that's the whole point, lol.

Below is what I think the answers to my questions may be.

Yes, Kodi can delay PVR/DVR audio the same way it delays audio for videos played from the library. (This is more of a hope than a guess, lol)

Slo-mo is not possible, nor is frame by frame.

Yes, I can copy recordings off the scribe to a local HDD, but I can not place recordings back onto the Scribe if they are removed.

Can I copy a recording from the Scribe and leave the original in place?

Once again thanks so much, you've been incredibly helpful. Not only with answering my questions, but you wrote the entire add-on that I'm going to use! If only the world had more people like you in it!