Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by djp952 »

jwelch5792, I know I replied but wanted to post the finding here as well in case Ken.F or anyone else on Linux might have a better suggestion for you.

Based on the crash log, the thread that died was in the video driver r600_drv_video.so, during a VAAPI (Hardware Acceleration) call. I did some quick googling and it does seem that there are many reports of VAAPI problems with this series of card/driver on Linux, but many are a bit stale. It's possible that a newer (or older) driver would help the problem, but for a temporary solution if you disable Hardware Acceleration in Kodi that is likely to stop the crashing.

Not using Hardware Acceleration is going to put more load on your CPU, which may or may not be a problem. Looks like you are on an Intel 64-bit platform so honestly you may not even really notice depending on the channel format. If you have 1080i channels (for me NBC, CBS and PBS are the only ones) I'd check CPU usage with those, deinterlacing the video in software seems to be about the hardest thing Kodi will need to do for playback purposes.

I wish I could be more help, I don't have any ATI cards at all anymore and am really not a Linux expert by any means. Fingers crossed that it's as simple as a driver update/rollback for you my friend! :D

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Buggy AMD drivers? Must be a month with an "r" in it. Or was that something about eating shellfish? They all blend together for me :lol:.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

jasonl wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:07 pm Buggy AMD drivers? Must be a month with an "r" in it. Or was that something about eating shellfish? They all blend together for me :lol:.
IKR? There is a reason I don't seem to have any ATI cards lying around anymore. Never had good luck with those things, especially on non-Windows platforms (but the drivers were a mess there too).

Mediaman
Expert
Device ID: 131045A9, 131F4A88

Post by Mediaman »

djp952 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:19 pm
jasonl wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:07 pm Buggy AMD drivers? Must be a month with an "r" in it. Or was that something about eating shellfish? They all blend together for me :lol:.
IKR? There is a reason I don't seem to have any ATI cards lying around anymore. Never had good luck with those things, especially on non-Windows platforms (but the drivers were a mess there too).
The All in Wonder was great till AMD bought it. When I had to move from AGP I called AMD because I could not see any of the best features in the new video cards. No one knew what I was talking about. They passed me to an ATI engineer. No none of those features were in the new cards. He agreed that was a screw up and doubted any of it would go into newer cards either. From that point AMD has been dead to me.

jctennis

Post by jctennis »

Heads up, there is a dependency error with the latest matrix nightly.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Thanks! I'll get something out ASAP for ya. Hopefully tonight if the breakage isn't too bad :)

edit: Already had this one teed up, just need to pull the trigger for you guys. Building full version 3.3.3 (both Leia and Krypton) now will publish later. It will be generally unremarkable change-wise, but will get recent Matrix nightlies working again.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

And away we go ... wow it's been stable since July? That has to be some kind of record for me other than when I disappeared for like 6 months that time :mrgreen:

Version 3.3.3 (2020.09.30)
  • Update SQLite database engine to version 3.33.0
  • Update cURL library to version 7.72.0
  • (Matrix) Fix bug that reported recording rule start time padding as both the start and end time padding
  • Add "Report actual start and end times for upcoming timers" Interface option
Downloads: MATRIX USERS: Version 3.3.3 needs a recent Kodi Matrix nightly build due to required addon interface version bumps

Add "Report actual start and end times for upcoming timers" Interface option
This is the only truly noteworthy change outside of the version bumps for Matrix. A while back I added a feature request to align the times you see in "Timers" to be indicative of the actual start and end times of the program as it will be recorded by the DVR. Unfortunately, that can cause some problems with the EPG and a couple other pieces of weirdness here and there. I like the feature and I didn't want to remove it since it's quite useful for many users, so what I did was move it into an option under Interface. The default behavior will be the old way for the best compatibility with Kodi, but you can get the new behavior back by turning this ON. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause for you.

Oh, and I actually updated the Settings wiki page too for a change, it was about 3 changesets out of date again: https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... i/Settings

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

Would it be possible to get PlayerControl(tempodown) and PlayerControl(tempoup) working on recordings in progress and live TV? This is used to decrease and increase playback speed between 0.8x and 1.5x with audio. It does work in the regular TV shows and Movie libraries as well as completed recordings in the PVR add-on. It sure would have come in handy while watching the senate hearings this week.

Instructions to enable it here:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?ti ... pid2420219

Matrix does not require a custom keyboard.xml file since playback speed can be selected in the OSD settings menu. You can still use one with Matrix if you want to configure remote control buttons to modify the playback speed directly.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

(in my best Columbo voice) Just one more thing....

I set up a new Chromecast device and I'm not getting any channel logos from the backend. The Disable backend channel logo images setting is turned off. I tried PVR version 3.3.3 for Leia first, then upgraded Kodi to Matrix Alpha 2 and installed the Matrix 3.3.3 add-on. No channel logos in either one. I checked your new documentation page and there appears to be an error for what the Disable backend channel logo images setting actually does. I think the description for that one got mixed up with the trigger recording discovery setting.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Ken.F wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:54 am Would it be possible to get PlayerControl(tempodown) and PlayerControl(tempoup) working on recordings in progress and live TV? This is used to decrease and increase playback speed between 0.8x and 1.5x with audio. It does work in the regular TV shows and Movie libraries as well as completed recordings in the PVR add-on. It sure would have come in handy while watching the senate hearings this week.
Sadly, the PVR doesn't have much control over this. There is a "SetSpeed" callback that be implemented, but it's only active when the addon does it's own demultiplexing of the input stream (this one does not). I think Kodi isn't allowing you to do this for in-progress recordings or Live TV because I have to tell it that the stream is real-time. It's considered real-time since the overall length of the data cannot be known and you can't seek into the future. In-progress recordings are pretty much identical to buffered Live TV, and follow the same rules, if that makes sense.

As of Kodi 18 Leia, the system does have a better idea as to how much data is available, and the PVR reports it, so I think in theory it could allow you to mess with the speed up until whenever "now" is, but such a modification to the Kodi Player would be well outside of my purview.
Ken.F wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:05 am (in my best Columbo voice) Just one more thing....

I set up a new Chromecast device and I'm not getting any channel logos from the backend. The Disable backend channel logo images setting is turned off. I tried PVR version 3.3.3 for Leia first, then upgraded Kodi to Matrix Alpha 2 and installed the Matrix 3.3.3 add-on. No channel logos in either one. I checked your new documentation page and there appears to be an error for what the Disable backend channel logo images setting actually does. I think the description for that one got mixed up with the trigger recording discovery setting.
LOL :) Wiki updated, thank you.

Hmmm.. all the PVR does is hand over the URL to the logo reported by HDHomeRun to Kodi. If the data was missing this would happen on all your devices .. any hints in the Kodi log? You may need debugging on temporarily to see if it's having problems getting the logo files via the supplied URLs. Not sure why a Chromecast would behave any differently than regular Android?

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:22 am It's considered real-time since the overall length of the data cannot be known and you can't seek into the future. In-progress recordings are pretty much identical to buffered Live TV, and follow the same rules, if that makes sense.
That makes sense. I was hoping it could be handled similar to skipping forward through the pause buffer or a recording in progress to live. Thanks anyway.

Hmmm.. all the PVR does is hand over the URL to the logo reported by HDHomeRun to Kodi. If the data was missing this would happen on all your devices .. any hints in the Kodi log? You may need debugging on temporarily to see if it's having problems getting the logo files via the supplied URLs. Not sure why a Chromecast would behave any differently than regular Android?
I found something that looks like it's related to the logos in the log. I only included the first few errors since it seems to repeat for all of my channels. If you need more I can turn on debugging and send you the whole thing.

Code: Select all

2020-10-16 09:29:58.377 T:7683     INFO <general>: PVR Manager: Started
2020-10-16 09:29:58.514 T:7681    ERROR <general>: CCurlFile::Stat - Failed: Failure when receiving data from the peer(56) for http://img.hdhomerun.com/channels/US64241.png
2020-10-16 09:29:59.454 T:7657     INFO <general>: EPG thread started
2020-10-16 09:29:59.555 T:7668    ERROR <general>: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: Failure when receiving data from the peer(56)
2020-10-16 09:29:59.555 T:7668    ERROR <general>: CCurlFile::Open failed with code 0 for http://img.hdhomerun.com/channels/US19611.png:

2020-10-16 09:29:59.598 T:7668    ERROR <general>: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: Failure when receiving data from the peer(56)
2020-10-16 09:29:59.601 T:7668    ERROR <general>: CCurlFile::Open failed with code 0 for http://img.hdhomerun.com/channels/US77056.png:

2020-10-16 09:29:59.616 T:7658    ERROR <general>: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: Failure when receiving data from the peer(56)
2020-10-16 09:29:59.616 T:7658    ERROR <general>: CCurlFile::Open failed with code 0 for http://img.hdhomerun.com/channels/US19611.png:

2020-10-16 09:29:59.643 T:7668    ERROR <general>: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: Failure when receiving data from the peer(56)
2020-10-16 09:29:59.644 T:7668    ERROR <general>: CCurlFile::Open failed with code 0 for http://img.hdhomerun.com/channels/US112555.png:

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Looks like "Failure when receiving data from the peer(56)" is seemingly typically associated with PUT requests, but Kodi should be using GET requests here. One post I found indicated that it can also be caused by something in the middle, like a proxy server, declining the request.

I tried those URLs from a web browser and had no issues, does the Chromecast have any browser or download app that you can try those URLs from to see if it's systemic or just a Kodi problem? If you can ADB into it, it may also have cURL or wget on there you could use to try.

I'm not really sure what to offer you here advice-wise. Unless something is getting in the way or the HDHomeRun web server is boinking the request due to a bad User-Agent or something, it should work? If the PVR is working, we can probably rule out most of that, but I do use my own instance of cURL I don't use Kodi's.

Any chance Kodi has a bad Proxy setting set at it's level?

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:06 pm If you can ADB into it, it may also have cURL or wget on there you could use to try.
I tried to ADB into it but I get connection refused. Developer mode is on but there's no network debugging setting in the developer options so that's probably why. I should have more time to mess with it later.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

It looks like someone else isn't getting channel logos either.

viewtopic.php?p=364204#p364204

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Also on android too! I'll keep an eye on that thread as well, thanks!

Odd that the inbuilt PVR can get guide data but not channel logos, but SD may have put something in place that is blocking kodi's user-agent (or similar) on the server where the logos come from. I'm sure they will work it out, and if any changes end up being necessary for this I'll jump on it for ya...