Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

cncb

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by cncb »

Is there any way to share "watched" status between multiple clients (i.e. the check mark in Kodi)? I can do this with my movies by having a shared/networked db but can this work for PVR recordings? Also, is there any skin that lists the recording groups as a grid with series thumbnails instead of a list with folder icons? Thanks.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

cncb wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:27 am
Is there any way to share "watched" status between multiple clients (i.e. the check mark in Kodi)? I can do this with my movies by having a shared/networked db but can this work for PVR recordings? Also, is there any skin that lists the recording groups as a grid with series thumbnails instead of a list with folder icons? Thanks.
I have been told that the watched status is supposed to be shared via the MyVideos database, just like the shared Movies. The PVR takes care of the resume position, but the watched/unwatched status is left up to Kodi since we don't have that capability. I questioned a recent change to Matrix about this that was discounted because that indicator is supposed to be shared. If that's not the case please let me know. I have a shared database here, but none of my recordings ever really go to 'watched' since we add a lot of endtime padding on them. I didn't really look into it after that, but if it's broke I can propose a fix to Kodi for it.

As for the skin question, I have no idea and will have to leave that to others :)

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Hi cncb, I checked this out, and it does appear to work as intended. The gotcha is to make sure that you are using the same PVR (this addon) options on both devices, as the "filename" field it generates may be different, which causes a non-match and the appearance that the play count isn't working.

Example: I have one Kodi set up with addon's "Use season/episode number as title for recordings" option on and one without. Playback of the same recording on one will not trigger the watched indicator on the other, since the database field(s) end up slightly different:

1012 | Jessie s03e12 (2014)%20Acting%20With%20the%20Frenemy, TV%20(DISN), 20180530_155947, 0d4090ae.pvr
1013 | S03E12 s03e12%20Acting%20With%20the%20Frenemy, TV%20(DISN), 20180530_155947, 0d4090ae.pvr

In this case, there is also a difference between Leia and Matrix (what I tested between), one has the year in the title and one does not.

It's not something I've put much thought into before, I had no idea the options in the PVR could mess up the watched indicator. I doubt any changes I might suggest to just use the unique IDs instead of all the other metadata would go over well, and they wouldn't do it for Leia anyway.

So, in summary - the Kodi feature works, make sure that you have the same PVR addon options on all the Kodi instances to ensure the same internal file name(s) will be generated by Kodi :)

cncb

Post by cncb »

djp952 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:01 pm
So, in summary - the Kodi feature works, make sure that you have the same PVR addon options on all the Kodi instances to ensure the same internal file name(s) will be generated by Kodi :)
That was my problem - different naming settings on the clients. Thanks for looking into this!

gregeeh

Post by gregeeh »

Hi all,

I'm new to this DVR Client after moving from TvH as a recent firmware update to HDHR broke TvH. From what I've seen so far I'm very impressed and like the integration into Kodi. This thread is very long so if these questions have been asked before I'm sorry.

1. Is the Default Lifetime of Recordings set in Kodi supported by this product?

2. If I display a Channel List, Not Guide, and select a channel is does not go directly to showing that channel. Yes, the channel is showing in the background but to see the channel I must press OK again. Can I set it to go directly to the selected channel like it does in the Guide?

3. I have installed this Add-on via a zip. Will it automatically update?

4. I've read all your documentation and I'm still confused about the difference between "Record Series" and "Record Series Rule". Is one a Kodi Rule and another an HDHR Rule? Sorry, I'm such a noob.

TIA

Greg

djp952

Post by djp952 »

gregeeh wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:36 pm
Hi all,

I'm new to this DVR Client after moving from TvH as a recent firmware update to HDHR broke TvH. From what I've seen so far I'm very impressed and like the integration into Kodi. This thread is very long so if these questions have been asked before I'm sorry.

1. Is the Default Lifetime of Recordings set in Kodi supported by this product?

2. If I display a Channel List, Not Guide, and select a channel is does not go directly to showing that channel. Yes, the channel is showing in the background but to see the channel I must press OK again. Can I set it to go directly to the selected channel like it does in the Guide?

3. I have installed this Add-on via a zip. Will it automatically update?

4. I've read all your documentation and I'm still confused about the difference between "Record Series" and "Record Series Rule". Is one a Kodi Rule and another an HDHR Rule? Sorry, I'm such a noob.

TIA

Greg
Welcome!

1. No. The backend (HDHomeRun DVR) currently doesn't support automatic deletion of recordings, so the PVR addon doesn't either. Interestingly enough, this came up recently as a request for SiliconDust, check out this thread and maybe provide your opinions as well? viewtopic.php?f=119&t=73467. While nobody has ever asked me to do it, it would be possible to have the PVR addon do it, but I'm not sure how keen I would be to delete people's recordings, the chances of a stupid bug nuking someone are pretty high. I'd prefer SD implement it, but if it can be made safe enough, I might be willing to take a crack at it :)

2. It's a Kodi thing. I think it harkens back to old versions that used to show a preview of the channel in a smaller window? I find it kind of annoying myself, but I'd say 99.5% of the time I use the EPG to select channels, so I guess it never really bothered me much. It could be something to ask Kodi to change or add an option for. I could help you open an Issue with them if you'd like. Not sure how they would respond to it.

3. Yes! All the .zip-based versions (everything except Universal Windows now) will auto-update.

4. This one will take a bit to explain; let me get the kid to bed and get the Easter stuff ready and I'll come back and edit this post for ya later tonight :)

edit: Alright, here we go ... timer rules!

The short answer is they are basically the same thing, but getting HDHomeRun rules set up in Kodi required a lot of shoe-horning and working around the differing workflows (for lack of a better term) between the two systems. It will probably be easier to try to re-explain how this all works for ya.

HDHomeRun provides a "set it and forget it" type of system. You tell it you want to record a series and it just takes care of it for you. While you can put some boundaries on it, like using a specific channel, or just recording the most recent season, in general terms it's designed for things like "record every episode of Law & Order, I don't care how just make it happen for me" [This is a "Record Series Rule"]. It also allows for a one-time recording of a specific series episode on a specific channel at a specific time [This is a "Record Once Rule"]. What it doesn't allow for is a specific date/time/channel request, it always needs to know what series is involved.

How I translated all this into Kodi, which expects a more traditional set of PVR rules, breaks down into "Timer Rules" and "Timers". Timer Rules are the important ones, this is a view of all the active HDHomeRun recording rules. In here you will only see "Record Series Rule" and "Record Once Rule" items, and then can be edited/deleted as desired, but you can't change the type. Timers are a read-only view of what specific episodes the HDHomeRun DVR is reporting that it will record for you. Up until recently I declared this as a "might record" list, but SD added some stuff to help make this much more accurate (thanks SD!).

More to your question, internally Kodi has different flavors of Timers/Timer Rules depending on how you are trying to manipulate them. You will see "Record Series Rule" in the Timer Rules area, and also if the place where you are trying to add a new timer requires me to go find the series you're looking for. You will see "Record Series" when doing things like adding a rule from the EPG, where I know the series because you right-clicked on it. They can't have the same name since they are different entities inside the PVR (well, maybe they can but I never tried - LOL), but they essentially do the same thing - set up a "Record Series Rule".

I realize this probably glossed over some details, switching from a traditional PVR to HDHomeRun DVR is a leap of faith :) Please let me know what blanks I can help fill in for you -- and again welcome to the club!

gregeeh

Post by gregeeh »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and the great explanation of the Timers Rules I now have a much better understanding.

1. Well, that's a pity. I was going to just setup cron to delete the older than x days files. But that is going to not make Kodi very happy as it does not know they have been deleted and still lists them. Giving an error if you select one. Entries are probably still in the database. Will have to think more about that one.

2. I have found an entry under Settings/PVR & Live TV in Kodi 17 called "Start playback minimised" which will bypass the second clicking on the OK button from the channel list. It's called something else in Kodi v18, cannot remember but it's at the top.

3. That's great about the auto update.

4. As I said above thanks for the great explanation.

Two more questions if I may.

5. Is there a way to stop the recordings going into their own folder? eg: If the recording directory is /share/Recordings and I record Law and Order a folder named Law and Order is created. Can all the recordings just be in /share/Recordings, or is this determined by the Recording Engine on my NAS ?

6. I note you have different versions of the Add-on for difference versions of Kodi. What happens if you install for Kodi V18 and later Kodi is updated to V19? Do I need to uninstall/install your Add-on?

Thanks again, and enjoy your Easter.

Greg

djp952

Post by djp952 »

gregeeh wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:07 pm
5. Is there a way to stop the recordings going into their own folder? eg: If the recording directory is /share/Recordings and I record Law and Order a folder named Law and Order is created. Can all the recordings just be in /share/Recordings, or is this determined by the Recording Engine on my NAS ?

6. I note you have different versions of the Add-on for difference versions of Kodi. What happens if you install for Kodi V18 and later Kodi is updated to V19? Do I need to uninstall/install your Add-on?
5. The physical layout on the DVR filesystem is controlled by the DVR engine, but it would be quite possible to add an option to flatten everything into the top-level Recordings folder when viewed by Kodi. Such a thing wouldn't change the on-disk layout of the files, but I could make it appear that it was actually like that if desired. Honestly, that would be fairly simple to accomplish.

6. I'm fairly sure that a one-time manual install will be required when switching to Matrix, as the auto-update repository URL changes to target that specific version. If you were on Kodi 18 and updated to Kodi 19, the URL embedded in the addon will still be pointing to the Kodi 18 repository, and would fail to update since the dependency version(s) would not be able to be satisfied.

gregeeh

Post by gregeeh »

Hi,

5. Would be nice but not necessary right now. Maybe on the next update.

6. Understood.

Thanks again.

Greg

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall »

I don't know if this is a Kodi thing or a PVR thing, so I could use some advice. I have the HDHR DVR residing on my ethernet-connected Shield (2017) with recordings being made to a 4TB USB-attached disk. And I have Kodi 18.5 running on my desktop machine with your PVR add-on version 3.2.1. I can see and play any recorded program from within the HDHR app on the Shield, but I have to use Kodi on my Win7 desktop. In Kodi on the desktop, if I want to watch something that recorded recently, I go to TV->Recordings to select what I want to watch. However, it's not showing directories on the Shield drive of recently-recorded shows. Currently, Kodi is showing all directories/shows except for one, "Live PD", that was created a couple of nights ago and contains 2 recordings. I can go to the "Files" section of Kodi to find the recordings and play them, but they should be showing in and playable from the Recordings list. I could use some help to fix this. Thanks in advance.

gregeeh

Post by gregeeh »

Hi,

I have an Odroid N2 ARM64 device running CoreELEC 9.2.1 Kodi 18.

Which install file should I use as there does not appear to be an ARM64 Linux version?

TIA

Greg

djp952

Post by djp952 »

leerandall wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:51 pm
I don't know if this is a Kodi thing or a PVR thing, so I could use some advice. I have the HDHR DVR residing on my ethernet-connected Shield (2017) with recordings being made to a 4TB USB-attached disk. And I have Kodi 18.5 running on my desktop machine with your PVR add-on version 3.2.1. I can see and play any recorded program from within the HDHR app on the Shield, but I have to use Kodi on my Win7 desktop. In Kodi on the desktop, if I want to watch something that recorded recently, I go to TV->Recordings to select what I want to watch. However, it's not showing directories on the Shield drive of recently-recorded shows. Currently, Kodi is showing all directories/shows except for one, "Live PD", that was created a couple of nights ago and contains 2 recordings. I can go to the "Files" section of Kodi to find the recordings and play them, but they should be showing in and playable from the Recordings list. I could use some help to fix this. Thanks in advance.
If you run the HDHomeRun Application on the Windows 7 desktop (is this even possible?), do you see the same thing that Kodi is showing you on that system? The recordings all come from a list provided by the DVR instance, it's odd that there would be a difference. Given that you have only one DVR instance, discovery shouldn't be a problem, it sounds like there may be something going on with the listings themselves.

I suppose it's possible that there is some weirdness if the DVR is running on a Shield, perhaps encoding, but I would probably have to see the PVR database file and the output from "recorded_files.json" from the DVR instance to know for sure.

We can start there - from a web browser on the Windows 7 machine, try this:

- Navigate to http://my.hdhomerun.com/discover
- Find the entry with "StorageID", this will be the DVR engine
- Navigate to the "StorageURL" provided for that entry, for example "http://192.168.0.220:50000/recorded_files.json".

Search that text for "Live PD". Do you see the recordings that are missing from the PVR, or are they MIA here?

djp952

Post by djp952 »

gregeeh wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:19 pm
Hi,

Which install file should I use as there does not appear to be an ARM64 Linux version?

TIA

Greg
aarch64 = ARM64. Be advised, though, the CoreELEC OS may be "armhf" or "armel" even with the 64-bit CPU. I have an ODROID C2 and the only Kodi distro I found for it that was true aarch64 was with Ubuntu (and even that was Krypton, not Leia, but it's been a while - my C2 is now a database server :) ).

armel = ARMv7a, soft-float, 32-bit
armhf = ARMv7a, hard-float, 32-bit
aarch64 = ARMv8a, 64-bit

gregeeh

Post by gregeeh »

djp952 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:51 pm
gregeeh wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:19 pm
Hi,

TIA

Greg
aarch64 = ARM64. Be advised, though, the CoreELEC OS may be "armhf" or "armel" even with the 64-bit CPU. I have an ODROID C2 and the only Kodi distro I found for it that was true aarch64 was with Ubuntu (and even that was Krypton, not Leia, but it's been a while - my C2 is now a database server :) ).

armel = ARMv7a, soft-float, 32-bit
armhf = ARMv7a, hard-float, 32-bit
aarch64 = ARMv8a, 64-bit
The logs on the N2 show:

Code: Select all

2020-04-13 04:57:00.399 T:4063464896  NOTICE: Starting Kodi (18.5 Git:154390fc8b699c238d0d172b05cca401b262608e). Platform: Linux ARM 32-bit
2020-04-13 04:57:00.399 T:4063464896  NOTICE: Using Release Kodi x32 build
2020-04-13 04:57:00.399 T:4063464896  NOTICE: Kodi compiled 2019-11-27 by GCC 8.3.0 for Linux ARM 32-bit version 4.9.190 (264638)
2020-04-13 04:57:00.399 T:4063464896  NOTICE: Running on CoreELEC (official): 9.2.1, kernel: Linux ARM 64-bit version 4.9.190 aarch64
But only armhf = ARMv7a, hard-float, 32-bit worked without errors.

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall »

djp952 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:47 pm
leerandall wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:51 pm
If you run the HDHomeRun Application on the Windows 7 desktop (is this even possible?), do you see the same thing that Kodi is showing you on that system? The recordings all come from a list provided by the DVR instance, it's odd that there would be a difference. Given that you have only one DVR instance, discovery shouldn't be a problem, it sounds like there may be something going on with the listings themselves.

I suppose it's possible that there is some weirdness if the DVR is running on a Shield, perhaps encoding, but I would probably have to see the PVR database file and the output from "recorded_files.json" from the DVR instance to know for sure.

We can start there - from a web browser on the Windows 7 machine, try this:

- Navigate to http://my.hdhomerun.com/discover
- Find the entry with "StorageID", this will be the DVR engine
- Navigate to the "StorageURL" provided for that entry, for example "http://192.168.0.220:50000/recorded_files.json".

Search that text for "Live PD". Do you see the recordings that are missing from the PVR, or are they MIA here?
Following your procedure, the resulting recorded_files.json does indeed show the Live PD directory:

{"SeriesID":"C13357824ENQQ81","Title":"Live PD","Category":"series","ImageURL":"http://img.hdhomerun.com/titles/C133578 ... 2005096785},

In the process, I noticed that I was also missing the Saturday Night Live directory in Kodi.

{"SeriesID":"C183890ENY0BD","Title":"Saturday Night Live","Category":"series","ImageURL":"http://img.hdhomerun.com/titles/C183890 ... 2947043040},

ETA: This is a fairly new issue, although I cannot say exactly when it began. I haven't updated Kodi in quite a while. The last thing I DID update is the PVR to ver. 3.2.1 whenever that was released.