Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by djp952 »

Hi Jeff!

You seem to have a couple things going on here (and a couple different programs) ..

The PVR addon seems OK, the "failed to deliver" messages come up when Kodi doesn't have an EPG entry for a channel. This happens a lot when channels are added/removed. The fix for this is pretty easy, go into PVR & Live TV Settings, and choose "Clear Data". This wipes out all the channels, EPG, etc. and reloads it. The EPG data is cached these days so the reload should only take a short amount of time. That should resolve that.

The other problem you're having is with the official HDHomeRun script application. I don't have that installed, but I can have a look later to see if I can help out SD. It's open source now so we can contribute fixes. Would have to duplicate it, of course. I'm not sure where the discussion forum for the app went, but you could ask in the root of the "HDHomeRun Software Setup" forum if this is something they know about.

With that said™ ... you don't need to have both programs installed if you don't want to. The PVR addon integrates into Kodi so you can use the EPG, Timers, Recorded TV, etc. with the native Kodi interface. The HDHomeRun View program is a standalone application that looks and feels like the native HDHomeRun app. One program doesn't need the other to function. There is no problem with having them both, just wanted to point out that you don't NEED to have them both. Whichever one works the best for you!

I seem to be coming up on a lot of free time due to forced telework, I have no problem installing the HDHomeRun View app and see if I get the same thing. If so, happy to help you and SD work it out if I can!

edit: If the built-in Kodi stuff (Channels, Guide, Recordings) aren't working with the PVR installed please do let me know. That would be something likely to be my fault :)

jbinkley60

Post by jbinkley60 »

Thanks for your support but please don't spend any more time on this. The Clear Data command worked to get rid of the error messages. I tested your addon and it works fine, including watching live TV. I didn't know it was fully independent of the HDHomeRun addon. That is very good to know. I did find I had another Win 10 machine with Kodi on an old Intel NUC I had sitting around. I loaded up both addons and they worked fine on it. So it looks like something Kodi related on the system which isn't running the HDHomeRun addon but with your addon being fully functional for Live and recorded content, I may just not use the HDHOmerun addon.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

No problem at all, very glad it was a nice easy fix! I'll still probably play with HDHomeRun View later to see if I get the same error, I owe the SD guys more than a couple favors so anything I could do to maybe help them out would be great.

For what it's worth, I know Kodi has done a lot of work on the EPG behind the scenes for Kodi 19, I'm hoping that dynamically adding/removing channels from the lineup aren't as likely to trip it up moving forward. I did propose and get a fix in for that for Leia, but it was clearly insufficient, or something new came in afterwards that causes it. For Leia, the Clear Data trick is relatively painless so I haven't pursued any more proposed fixes to them *. The only time Clear Data would be bad is if you had customized the channels in the Kodi channel editor or made custom Channel Groups. Going into Guide / Clear Data should also do the trick without trashing any customizations.

* If anyone cares, what happens in Kodi is that there won't be an entry for the channel in the Kodi EPG database so it just discards the EPG data the PVR is sending in for that channel and logs that message. The channel will also be missing from the EPG grid, but still listed in Channels. Clear Data wipes out the Kodi EPG and TV databases and rebuilds them, so all of the channels the PVR reports get shiny new rows in the Kodi EPG database, referential integrity is restored, and everything works again. Guide / Clear Data just wipes out the Kodi EPG database, which is usually sufficient, but as noted above if you haven't customized anything just nuking both databases ensures it's all clean and good.

jbinkley60

Post by jbinkley60 »

OK. I'll leave the broken system as is for now and if you want a new full set of logs now with the HDHomeRun addon failing on startup I can provide them.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

jbinkley60 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:02 am
OK. I'll leave the broken system as is for now and if you want a new full set of logs now with the HDHomeRun addon failing on startup I can provide them.
Sounds good! The full logs from the broken system are welcome, happy to look them over. I'll PM you my email address :)

jbinkley60

Post by jbinkley60 »

Thanks for your help. The problem has been resolved. it was being caused by the Ethernet interface on the bad system had 2 IP addresses, 1 which was on the same subnet as the tuners and the other IP address wasn't. For some reason the HDHomerum addon was broadcasting on the wrong IP address even though both are preferred in the OS. Anyway, removing the second IP address has cleared the problem. I may research this further at another time to see if there is a way to run multiple IP addresses without breaking this.

tredman

Post by tredman »

Do you have plans for a tvOS version, with it becoming an officially supported platform.

Picking up an Apple TV tomorrow, so happy to do any testing if needed.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

If the platform can support installing binary add-ons and I can figure out how to cross-compile should be possible.

Let me look to see how they are packaging Kodi for that and get back to you? Can't make any promises yet my friend. If it looks possible I welcome the assistance in making it work!

Fuzzard

Post by Fuzzard »

TVOS will be a little painful for you djp952. The easiest way will be actually building a full kodi package with your addon built as part of that.
The other method i foresee is creating the addon, then user unpacking the tvos deb, adding it to the folder structure, repackaging/signing. Gets a bit messy.

Essentially everything executable in the package has to be signed at once.

Hit me up via email if you get stuck with anything tvos related. my username @ kodi.tv

cminarik

Post by cminarik »

I posted this on KODI.TV...it was recommended that I post it here as well.

I have been a very happy KODI user for several years, and several months ago, started using the Aura skin. About the same time as the skin change, I switched to using the HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client by djp952 with the HDHomeRun RECORD backend by Silicon Dust.

Everything has been working fine until this week, when I noticed that although new TV shows are recording properly, they are not showing up on my Active Recordings screen. I have to go to Videos > Files > Video Sources to find/watch them.

The other thing I did this week was upgrade from 18.5 to 18.6...so I believe this is an 18.6 problem.

My log file has been uploaded to https://paste.kodi.tv/eluloxuxer .

I'd appreciate any help in resolving this...TIA...Chuck

djp952

Post by djp952 »

cminarik wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:43 pm
I posted this on KODI.TV...it was recommended that I post it here as well.

I have been a very happy KODI user for several years, and several months ago, started using the Aura skin. About the same time as the skin change, I switched to using the HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client by djp952 with the HDHomeRun RECORD backend by Silicon Dust.

Everything has been working fine until this week, when I noticed that although new TV shows are recording properly, they are not showing up on my Active Recordings screen. I have to go to Videos > Files > Video Sources to find/watch them.

The other thing I did this week was upgrade from 18.5 to 18.6...so I believe this is an 18.6 problem.

My log file has been uploaded to https://paste.kodi.tv/eluloxuxer .

I'd appreciate any help in resolving this...TIA...Chuck
Hi! I'm a bit short on time right now, but from the logs this is all I see:

Code: Select all

2020-03-18 19:21:44.045 T:1208   ERROR: Misplaced !
2020-03-18 19:21:44.045 T:1208   ERROR: Error parsing boolean expression string.endswith(listitem.label,!)
2020-03-18 19:21:44.101 T:7940  NOTICE: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: discover_recordingrules: initiated recording rule discovery
2020-03-18 19:21:44.119 T:6860   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting D:\TV Logos\Color\
2020-03-18 19:21:44.205 T:7940   ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
2020-03-18 19:21:44.205 T:7940  NOTICE: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: discover_episodes: initiated recording rule episode discovery
2020-03-18 19:21:44.550 T:7940  NOTICE: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: discover_recordings: initiated local storage device recording discovery
2020-03-18 19:21:44.577 T:7940  NOTICE: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: update_listings_task: listing discovery skipped; data is less than 18 hours old
2020-03-18 19:21:44.577 T:7940  NOTICE: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: update_listings_task: triggering channel update
2020-03-18 19:21:44.577 T:7940  NOTICE: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: update_listings_task: execute electronic program guide update
2020-03-18 19:21:44.590 T:6860  NOTICE: PVR Manager: Started
2020-03-18 19:21:44.607 T:6860   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting D:\TV Logos\Color\
2020-03-18 19:21:44.974 T:7392   ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
2020-03-18 19:21:44.974 T:7392   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting None
2020-03-18 19:21:46.181 T:8820   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting D:\TV Logos\Color\
2020-03-18 19:21:50.098 T:2804   ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
2020-03-18 19:21:50.098 T:2804  NOTICE: Skin Helper Widgets --> Backgroundservice started
2020-03-18 19:21:50.703 T:7436  NOTICE: Skin Helper Service --> WebService - start helper webservice on port 52307
2020-03-18 19:21:50.703 T:408  NOTICE: Skin Helper Service --> Skin Helper Service version 1.1.3 started
2020-03-18 19:21:52.156 T:7392  NOTICE: EPG thread started
2020-03-18 19:21:54.857 T:4224   ERROR: CImageLoader::DoWork - Direct texture file loading failed for resource://resource.images.weathericons.white/26.png
2020-03-
Have you customized the channel logos? This part from the log:

Code: Select all

XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting D:\TV Logos\Color\
Can you get to in-process recordings from the Kodi TV "Recordings" tile/view? It will take the PVR a bit of time to pick them up (around 10 minutes), but you should see them under "Recordings" as opposed to "Videos". There shouldn't be a need to add a Kodi Video library to get to your DVR recordings, it should be voodoo/magic and just be there for you. I am wondering if adding your HDHomeRun share to "Videos" may be causing some weirdness?

cminarik

Post by cminarik »

The Logo directory was there from when I used NPVR as my backend and client. I removed the link to the Logo folder.

I also removed the TV Folder from video Sources.

Then I recorded an on the fly show. The only thing that shows up under Live TV > Recordings is the one recording that is still there from before I upgraded to 18.6.

I uploaded a new log file to https://paste.kodi.tv/kutotutosi .

Maybe it will be a little clearer what is going on.

Thanks for your help...Chuck

djp952

Post by djp952 »

I'm still not seeing anything that would indicate there is a problem. Let's make sure the programs are actually being recorded. What you will see in Kodi as far as Timers, icons in the EPG, and the "Currently Recording" / "Next Recording" banners on the home page are based on metadata from the backend service from what it says will be done, it doesn't provide a true view of what the DVR engine will do. The "Recordings" area is the list of what the DVR engine itself says is available to playback. That list is refreshed periodically, but I do ask for a new list a couple minutes after a timer rule changes to try and keep the UI in sync.

So let's do this .. can you confirm that the file(s) you expect to exist are present in the DVR's HDHomeRun share? If they are NOT present, the DVR isn't recording them for some reason. The YYYYMMDD.log file in that share from the time when you expected the recording to start may indicate a problem with something.

If you do see the files and they aren't showing up in Kodi, we need to check what the DVR engine is telling the PVR. To do this we need a web browser.

- Navigate to my.hdhomerun.com/discover
- You will get back a list of your devices
- Find the "StorageURL" listed under the device with a "StorageID". For example, mine is: "StorageURL": "http://192.168.0.220:50000/recorded_files.json"
- While we're in here, please confirm that the StorageID matches "26ED5F29-13AF-4354-94BD-C125FFEC14C2", which is the RECORD the PVR found on your network. Just in case you have a sneaky second RECORD set up somewhere that's actually doing all the work (then we have a discovery problem to sort out, but that's OK)
- Navigate to that URL from the browser, i.e. http://192.168.0.220:50000/recorded_files.json

What you get back here is a textual list of all the recorded files the DVR engine knows about and all the metadata for them. This is how the PVR populates the "Recordings" area in Kodi.

NOTE: For a much cleaner view, if you're running the latest HDHomeRun RECORD version, you can replace the .json extension on that URL with .html and use that. You will get back a cool list of all the recordings organized by series and even click though to play them :) It's a neat feature they added.

If the files are missing and/or you don't see the recordings you expect to see from the "recorded_files" links, we might have to ask SD for help since RECORD is just not doing it's thing.

If everything looks good but still nothing in the PVR, a copy of the addon's database file will probably be needed. It keeps track of the data it got from RECORD and the timestamps when it was last successful. Perhaps there is something wonky in there that is causing the query to fail, but I would expect to see errors in the Kodi log about that.

Let me know what you find out, I'm sure we can get it working. Sorry I don't have a clean answer for you at this time.

cminarik

Post by cminarik »

Wow, that's a lot to take in, thanks for your time and effort. Your instructions were clear and easy to follow so I think I have all your questions answered:

The recording that I expected to see are in the HDHR share, so the RECORD service is recording when it should. They just aren't showing up in KODI.

So I went to my.hdhomerun.com/discover and was able to confirm that my StorageID matches what you saw in the logfile.

Then I clicked on the StorageURL link and got the list you described, but the files are missing from this list also. This list matches what is showing up in KODI.

So based on your diagnosis, it is time to "ask SD for help". Please advise how I should proceed with doing this.

Thanks again for your help...Chuck

djp952

Post by djp952 »

cminarik wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:26 pm
Wow, that's a lot to take in, thanks for your time and effort. Your instructions were clear and easy to follow so I think I have all your questions answered:

The recording that I expected to see are in the HDHR share, so the RECORD service is recording when it should. They just aren't showing up in KODI.

So I went to my.hdhomerun.com/discover and was able to confirm that my StorageID matches what you saw in the logfile.

Then I clicked on the StorageURL link and got the list you described, but the files are missing from this list also. This list matches what is showing up in KODI.

So based on your diagnosis, it is time to "ask SD for help". Please advise how I should proceed with doing this.

Thanks again for your help...Chuck
Definitely time for their help :) They would certainly be the best qualified to diagnose why the recordings aren't being picked up and reported. I could speculate, but they'll have the ability to interrogate the RECORD engine and look at the log files and probably take all of 45 seconds to figure it out.

The symptom is that you see the physical recorded files on the share, new recordings appear to be working, but nothing is showing up in recorded_files.json (and presumably in the HDHomeRun VIEW app - may want to try that just to be sure, but it also reads from recorded_files.json).

Please let me know if there any way I can assist further, and I would LOVE to know what was wrong for future reference!

Oh right, "how". LOL. Suggest a post here at the top level of "HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)" forum describing the concern. They're pretty quick to respond.