Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by djp952 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:06 pm

Good news, reverting to cURL 7.66.0 appears to have put everything back the way it was before. The streams behave they way they used to. Even Recorded TV is smooth with no massive blasts of data or pausing and whatnot. Something is definitely up with cURL 7.67.

I'm going to look at one more problem with changing channels rapidly on Leia/Matrix that is due to the hack I had to put in place to open the stream(s) before Kodi wants me to, but if that looks like it could cause any problems I can pull it back.

Should have this update out tonight or tomorrow :) I'm happy again.

ddejager

Post by ddejager » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:54 am

Very sorry to hear that you would get an attacking email. Thanks for all you have done. Hope you can take a break and enjoy Christmas!

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Post by clarkss12 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:37 am

ddejager wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:54 am
Very sorry to hear that you would get an attacking email. Thanks for all you have done. Hope you can take a break and enjoy Christmas!
+1

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:45 am

ddejager wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:54 am
I agree!

jhford

Post by jhford » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:22 am

Remember me? I haven't bothered you in a long time. I'd like to learn about EDL. From my brief reading in this thread it appears to enable commercial skipping. Am I right? If so, how can I set it up and use it with Krypton?
Thanks for everything.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:41 am

jhford wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:22 am
Remember me? I haven't bothered you in a long time. I'd like to learn about EDL. From my brief reading in this thread it appears to enable commercial skipping. Am I right? If so, how can I set it up and use it with Krypton?
Thanks for everything.
Yes, it is automated commercial skipping. You pretty much just turn it on in the PVR add-on settings and tell it where to find the .edl files, then scan your recording files with Comskip. If everything is configured correctly when you play a recording it automatically skips over the commercials. It's not 100% accurate but it works pretty good.
More info in the EDL/ComSkip discussion thread here: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=72172

jhford

Post by jhford » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:54 am

Ken.F wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:41 am
jhford wrote:
Thanks for everything.
Yes, it is automated commercial skipping. You pretty much just turn it on in the PVR add-on settings and tell it where to find the .edl files, then scan your recording files with Comskip. If everything is configured correctly when you play a recording it automatically skips over the commercials. It's not 100% accurate but it works pretty good.
Is ComSkip an app? Where do I find it?

djp952

Post by djp952 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:00 pm

jhford wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:54 am
Ken.F wrote:
jhford wrote:
Thanks for everything.
ComSkip is an application, they have a web site: www.comskip.com. I think they only offer command-line utilities themselves, but there are other applications that offer GUI setups too. If MCEBuddy is still a thing, I believe that works well for generating the .EDL files from HDHomeRun recordings.

edit: If you bump up to Leia, be sure to use version 18.5. EDL is broken in 18.4 and earlier releases.

jhford

Post by jhford » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:35 pm

djp952 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:00 pm
jhford wrote:
Ken.F wrote:

ComSkip is an application, they have a web site: www.comskip.com. I think they only offer command-line utilities themselves, but there are other applications that offer GUI setups too. If MCEBuddy is still a thing, I believe that works well for generating the .EDL files from HDHomeRun recordings.

edit: If you bump up to Leia, be sure to use version 18.5. EDL is broken in 18.4 and earlier releases.
MCEBuddy is still a thing. I suppose it must be running periodically to pick up changed files, correct?

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:51 pm

jhford wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:35 pm
MCEBuddy is still a thing. I suppose it must be running periodically to pick up changed files, correct?
Yes. If you start MCEBuddy and close the program without stopping it first it will continue to run in the background. I leave it running all the time on my WMC PC. Just don't tell it to re-name the files or commercial skipping in the PVR add-on won't work.

jhford

Post by jhford » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:54 pm

jhford wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:35 pm
djp952 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:00 pm
jhford wrote:

How do I setup MCEBuddy?

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:01 pm

jhford wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:54 pm
How do I setup MCEBuddy?
They have guides here: https://discussion.mcebuddy2x.com/t/mce ... -guides/22

djp952

Post by djp952 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:05 pm

Happy Holidays everyone! I'm still having some problems with my RECORD engine on Windows here, but I truly hope that this release solves the recent issues for everyone else ... I went over a lot of things and found a few bugs, most of which are related to old tweaks for Leia, but nonetheless ...

Version 3.1.0 (2019.12.23)
  • Revert cURL library to version 7.66.0
  • (Leia/Matrix) Fix bug during stream changes that would fail to report the MIME type and realtime indicator of the new stream properly
  • (Leia/Matrix) Fix bug that could cause "Live Stream creation failed" errors when rapidly changing channels
  • (Leia/Matrix) Fix bug preventing stream read operations from exceeding the "DVR stream read chunk size" setting value
  • Fix bug causing recordings update to trigger twice when "Trigger recording discovery immediately after playback" is enabled
  • Add 5-second delay to application of "Trigger recording discovery immediately after playback" to limit during channel changes
  • Apply "DVR stream read operation minimum size" setting to RTP/UDP streaming operations
Downloads: There is a lot here, let's go over them ...

Revert cURL library to version 7.66.0
cURL 7.67.0 changed the behavior of what happens when you don't have enough buffer space to satisfy it's request to write data. For now I've opted to go back to cURL 7.66.0 and have added a backlog item to improve this in the near future and to take advantage of a newer "wait" function that was recently added.

(Leia/Matrix) Fix bug during stream changes that would fail to report the MIME type and realtime indicator of the new stream properly
(Leia/Matrix) Fix bug that could cause "Live Stream creation failed" errors when rapidly changing channels

The hack I put in place for Leia to pre-open any stream(s) when Kodi asks for the MIME type and realtime indicator was not correct. When you are changing Live TV channels, the order of operations form Kodi messes the hack up, so now it's gone. Instead of pre-opening the stream, I am now reporting a MIME type of "video/mp2t" and determining if a Recorded TV stream will be "realtime" based on a comparison with the recording start time and duration; if the sum of those two values indicate a time in the future, the stream will be considered realtime.

(Leia/Matrix) Fix bug preventing stream read operations from exceeding the "DVR stream read chunk size" setting value
When a new stream is starting, Kodi may ask for more data than has been specified as the chunk size. This change allows that to happen on Leia/Matrix, with the requisite downward MPEG-TS packet alignment.

Fix bug causing recordings update to trigger twice when "Trigger recording discovery immediately after playback" is enabled
Add 5-second delay to application of "Trigger recording discovery immediately after playback" to limit during channel changes

This was kind of dumb on my part, I wasn't checking to see if a stream had been closed before triggering the update, now it will only fire when an active stream is closed/
The added delay is an attempt to combat fast channel/stream changes, which would previously kick off a recordings update for no good reason when changing channels.

Apply "DVR stream read operation minimum size" setting to RTP/UDP streaming operations
This has no appreciable effect on Krypton, but for Leia and Matrix, this change will ensure that read operations are aligned down to the stream chunk size, which is a multiple of an MPEG-TS packed size (188 bytyes)

WINDOWS USERS: The problems seem to coincide with the release of Windows 10 1909, please take some time and update your audio, video, and network drivers as applicable. Reverting to cURL 7.66.0 helped, but I still see some hitching now and again. I also tend to hit my RECORD engine really hard while testing things -- it still might be that.

starslayer74
Device ID: 15300503, 1325D5CE

Post by starslayer74 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:52 am

Thanks for the early Christmas gift!

I hope your holidays are awesome, and from a fellow Baltimore area guy, Go Ravens!

djp952

Post by djp952 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:49 pm

FWIW, I came to the determination that the remaining problems with Leia that I see here are a software issue in Kodi, and have opened an Issue for them:

Audio dropouts during playback of MPEG-TS files
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/17080

I believe that the increased occurrence of this problem I witnessed while looking into jaytaylor@gmail.com's problem are a result of the channel(s) that we have been watching of late due to the Holidays. I found zero issues with my network (over 935 Mb/s to and from all nodes over a 30-minute test period) and zero issues with the PVR (v3.1.0) code now that cURL has been rolled back.

Kodi 17 "Krypton" does not exhibit this problem and there was significant refactoring of the Kodi "VideoPlayer" component for Kodi 18 "Leia" -- on channels where the audio stream format tends to change, primarily during commercials, the audio will drop out for a couple seconds for whatever reason, and I think that the re-sync introduces a timestamp delta that eventually exceeds the tolerable limit in Kodi and will cause the drop/buffer event to occur as Kodi tries to sync itself back up.

One thing I haven't been able to explain is that the problem, if it occurs, tends to occur on 15-minute intervals. Ordinarily I would think this is a background task or local network issue but again I found zero evidence of this.