Krypton gets a stay of it's execution, EPG data for non-DVR subscribers ... not so much
Version 3.0.0 (2019.12.14)
- Add dependency on libxml2 library v2.9.10
- Switch to incremental database schema versioning rather than tying to the addon version number
- Switch to Electronic Program Guide (EPG) XMLTV source data (available to DVR subscribers only)
- Change "Append repeat indicators to applicable episode names" setting to apply only to programs of type EP/SH
- Remove "Electronic Program Guide (EPG) Metadata" discovery intervals setting
- Remove "Trigger guide metadata discovery" PVR Client Specific setting
- Add "Trigger guide listing discovery" PVR Client Specific setting
- Fix bug in task scheduler that would allow pending tasks to execute after stop signal has been sent
- Add one-time alert message indicating that DVR authorization is required to access Electronic Program Guide data
- (Matrix) Rename "Append repeat indicators to applicable episode names" setting to "Append repeat indicators to applicable recording names"
The bolded items are the important ones. The last few pages of this thread have discussed it, but v3.0.0 no longer supports Electronic Program Guide (EPG) data without a valid HDHomeRun DVR service account. It is what it is, gang. I knew when we added "full EPG" it was going to ultimately cause SiliconDust a problem and I've always maintained the position that if they asked me to stop I would. It's stopped.
That said, the new XMLTV data for DVR subscribers allowed for some nice enhancements. Better genre granularity, faster load times, you can crank Kodi up to 14 days in PVR & Live TV / Guide without much performance penalty, good stuff. The coolest part to me is that reworking things to use this new data stream allows the EPG to actually update every day. The old way once the data was sent to Kodi it was carved in stone. The new way every 24 (or so) hours it does a full refresh, so any programming changes that have occurred will be reflected now. Very nice. For users that have the default Kodi skin or one that supports EPG colors, there are more now, you should never see the light gray "Unknown" anymore.
For non-DVR subscribers, I've put in a one-time pop up message that will say this when the addon starts. It will only show up once unless you completely uninstall/reinstall the addon:
DVR Service Subscription Required
Access to Electronic Program Guide (EPG) listings requires an active HDHomeRun DVR Service subscription.
One other notable, if not minor, change: I am now able to refine how the "Append repeat indicators to applicable episode names" setting works so it will never apply to Movies or Sports, and on Matrix since it has the "new" indicator in the EPG the "[R]" will only be applied in Recorded TV (LMK if you don't like that, I can still do it for EPG if you want).
The release has been pushed out for auto-update, and I asked SiliconDust to give us at least 3-4 days for that to work for people before doing anything to block the older versions of the addon from accessing EPG data.
I know this will be the last time a lot of people use this addon once they see that pop-up, so if they happen to come here and see this, I would like to sincerely thank them for using my little project and for all of the feedback (good and bad) that has been received over the past couple years. I hope that it added some value, and I also hope that a path forward for non-subscribers within the HDHomeRun ecosystem becomes available in the future for us to use. You will be missed.
For those that are sticking around -- let me know what I screwed up this time
I'll be here.