Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by djp952 »

While I watch Beta 2 (all platforms, even Krypton!) build in the background, I think it's a good idea to add a one-time pop-up message to v3.0 indicating that guide data is no longer going to be available for non-DVR subscribers. There appears to be just shy of 750 users that auto-update Leia and it's a safe bet a very small fraction of them have any idea this is about to happen to them in the near future.

My idea would be to only check this once during Addon startup after the initial device discovery executes. Once shown, it wouldn't ever appear again for that system. I don't want some annoying popup telling people what they already know over and over again.

I could use some help with the verbiage. I want to be clear, succinct (very difficult for me - lol), and not point any fingers. How about this, it's very similar to the existing message these users would see if they try to manipulate Timers:

DVR Service Subscription Required
Access to HDHomeRun Electronic Program Guide (EPG) listings requires an active HDHomeRun DVR Service subscription. No authorized HDHomeRun devices have been detected.
https://www.silicondust.com/dvr-service/

?? too terse ?? Adding a third sentence like "so no EPG here" made it too long IMO.

edit: after seeing it on the screen, I like it even shorter. Right to the point, no inference required?

DVR Service Subscription Required
Access to HDHomeRun Electronic Program Guide (EPG) listings requires an active HDHomeRun DVR Service subscription.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:16 am DVR Service Subscription Required
Access to HDHomeRun Electronic Program Guide (EPG) listings requires an active HDHomeRun DVR Service subscription.
That looks good to me.
My idea would be to only check this once during Addon startup after the initial device discovery executes. Once shown, it wouldn't ever appear again for that system. I don't want some annoying popup telling people what they already know over and over again.
Is this a message that just flashes across the screen or will it be something you have to click OK to clear? The ones that slide out from the upper right corner go away so fast I usually don't have enough time to read them.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

3.0.0 beta 1 seems to be working fine on Win7-64.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Ken.F wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:35 am
djp952 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:16 am DVR Service Subscription Required
That looks good to me.
Is this a message that just flashes across the screen or will it be something you have to click OK to clear? The ones that slide out from the upper right corner go away so fast I usually don't have enough time to read them.
One with an OK button that you have to dismiss. I agree those banner prompts are gone way too fast.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

And in a continued flurry of activity, 3.0.0~beta2 is ready to play with. Krypton and Matrix are here now too (hi!). I really wanted December "off" ... sigh ... :mrgreen:

v3.0.0~beta2 - December 13, 2019
  • Add dependency on libxml2 library v2.9.10
  • Switch to incremental database schema versioning rather than tying to the addon version number
  • Switch to Electronic Program Guide (EPG) XMLTV source data (available to DVR subscribers only)
  • Change "Append repeat indicators to applicable episode names" setting to apply only to programs of type EP/SH
  • Remove "Electronic Program Guide (EPG) Metadata" discovery intervals setting
  • Remove "Trigger guide metadata discovery" PVR Client Specific setting
  • Add "Trigger guide listing discovery" PVR Client Specific setting
  • Fix bug in task scheduler that would allow pending tasks to execute after stop signal has been sent
  • (Matrix) Rename "Append repeat indicators to applicable episode names" setting to "Append repeat indicators to applicable recording names"
IMPORTANT NOTE: Moving forward clients with no DVR authorized tuners will NOT be able to access EPG data via this addon.

For general notes about v3.0.0 BETA, please scroll up ^^^^ to that particular post about Beta 1 a page back or so :)

DOWNLOAD LINK (OneDrive, go into krypton, leia, or matrix folder as appropriate):

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgEGEEVzGNq-jIhuiu5 ... w?e=0VefTc

ADDRESSES:

- EPG color coding is fixed; there was a change to the source data that needed to be adapted to
- "Clear Data" in PVR & Live TV / Guide will now reload the EPG afterward like it used to
- Adds Krypton and Matrix builds

KNOWN ISSUES:

- The channel names from the tuner(s) may appear in the upper-right hand corner if Kodi specifically asks for EPG data about a single channel. This is a Kodi limitation, once an EPG entry is created the original name will be used forever. To fix this, after the EPG data has been populated once, do a "Clear Data" in PVR & Live TV / Guide. This will delete and re-create the Kodi data using the EPG channel names. Should only need to do this once, or if you add new channels.

TODO:

- Add a one-time popup message if no DVR authorized tuners are available indicating that EPG data will not be accessible
- Move the EPG "genre map" data to a file accessible from github that can be dynamically loaded so a new build won't be necessary to adjust guide color coding

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Post by clarkss12 »

Just installed beta 2 under Leia Kodi on Android system. Guide data loaded 14 days of guide data for 41 channels in seconds. Working great as usual, but I don't see any color coding.

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Post by clarkss12 »

Just installed beta 2 under Leia Kodi on Android system. Guide data loaded 14 days of guide data for 41 channels in seconds. Working great as usual, but I don't see any color coding. Edit: disregard comment about colors, I use Embuary skin.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

clarkss12 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:39 pm Just installed beta 2 under Leia Kodi on Android system. Guide data loaded 14 days of guide data for 41 channels in seconds. Working great as usual, but I don't see any color coding. Edit: disregard comment about colors, I use Embuary skin.
THANK YOU!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Public Service Announcement :)

OK gang, I've had to really put a lot of thought into what options there could be for non-DVR subscribers in regard to EPG moving forward. I signed up for a bunch of XMLTV services, played around with what it would take to import them, etc. The conclusion I came to, unfortunately, is that I just don't want to go down that path.

This addon was always supposed to be "in ecosystem" for HDHomeRun, and other than adding EDL file support, I think it's stayed true to that. Adding externalized EPG when EPG is technically available within the HDHomeRun ecosystem, to me, would change that basic premise. I've always wanted this to promote HDHomeRun, not go around it. I think SiliconDust is a great company that makes great products (The "Slice" UI, eh, not so much that - lol) and it's been my pleasure to help people utilize those products.

That said -- before I pull the trigger on the new 3.0.0 I'm going to check one more time to see if there are any boundaries or parameters that can be put in place to allow non-subscribers to get something in-ecosystem here, even if it's temporary. Then I intend to start poking around in the official Kodi pvr.hdhomerun addon and see if there are things I might be able to offer there so non-DVR subscribers that use this addon might be able to switch back to that. Most of my stuff is DVR specific, but maybe some of the options/features I have here would translate well.

I understand that a lot of people are going to see that pop-up message come up in 3.0.0, utter a few expletives and dump this like yesterday's trash, and that's OK! Stuff happens.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

I've done enough testing here, even on my nemesis platform linux-aarch64 Krypton, and I think 3.0.0 is good to go. I'm making an attempt to duplicate jaytaylor's issue he ran into when Kodi and the RECORD engine are on the same Windows PC in case something can be done for that first. So far no dice, it's humming along perfectly on Live TV, need to check Recorded TV still. I'm going to let this run for at least a few hours, though.

Last chance to cry foul! There are plenty of numbers higher than 3.0.0, so if it gets broke you know I'll fix it for ya!

ddejager

Post by ddejager »

So, is there any way SD will consider a method to allow non-DVR subscribers to get 23 hours worth of guide data, other than via the official HDHomeRun app? If not I guess I will need to start recommending other solutions for people who do not want/need a DVR. Sad.

bzz

Post by bzz »

Hello, I'm really enjoying this add on! Thanks for sharing your work. Does anyone have surround sound working with this add on & Live TV? No matter what I try I'm only getting 2 channel audio from Live TV. The Kodi interface indicates multi channel audio and I get the expected audio channels from other media, including TV recorded by the SD DVR. I'm using Kodi 18.5 on Win 7.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

ddejager wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:13 pm So, is there any way SD will consider a method to allow non-DVR subscribers to get 23 hours worth of guide data, other than via the official HDHomeRun app? If not I guess I will need to start recommending other solutions for people who do not want/need a DVR. Sad.
FWIW, I checked the old API earlier today and now it's only returning 4 hours of data. Also confirmed with Kodi's pvr.hdhomerun addon, only 4 hours in the EPG. I opted not to ask one more time because of that. Not sure if it's intentional or a glitch, but it would appear that the ability to get guide data outside of the XMLTV load is indeed winding down.

Interesting, though, Kodi at first linked up all the channels from pvr.hdhomerun with the EPG data from my addon, so in theory is might be possible to develop a secondary EPG-only addon, if there isn't one already. I'm not sure you'd ever find a good free source to pull from, and places like Schedules Direct will charge you like $10/year for the data.

I feel ya, and I will be sorry to see you and others go my friend! I hear NextPVR's set up for Kodi is pretty great these days (never used it myself), and while I haven't looked at in a long time, Emby had some steam behind it for a while. I believe both of these have the ability to import EPG from external sources, but again, you probably have to pay for it :(

djp952

Post by djp952 »

bzz wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:37 pm Hello, I'm really enjoying this add on! Thanks for sharing your work. Does anyone have surround sound working with this add on & Live TV? No matter what I try I'm only getting 2 channel audio from Live TV. The Kodi interface indicates multi channel audio and I get the expected audio channels from other media, including TV recorded by the SD DVR. I'm using Kodi 18.5 on Win 7.
Try this -- in the Kodi player, there is a little gear in the lower right corner. Click that and then "audio settings". It will show you the currently selected audio stream format, and let you change it if there is more than one. If all the channels in question only have 2-channel audio coming in, that's about that.

If it's coming in with multichannel and that's the selected audio stream, I got nuthin'. Would have to defer to the Kodi folks on that :)

ddejager

Post by ddejager »

FWIW, I checked the old API earlier today and now it's only returning 4 hours of data.
I appreciate you checking! Thanks. Even 4 hours is better than none. Would SD allow you to use the old interface for 4 hours of data for those without a subscription?

Another option, but I suspect Kodi does not make the info available to you, is the data that all channels broadcast as part of their signal. There are a number of TVs that populate a limited set of guide data for the upcoming few hours (or shows) purely from that data...but I think that is only for OTA signals and I suspect that the majority of your users are using cable with a HDHomeRun Prime (I know that is how my friends are using it) and I don't know if the cable providers forward that portion of the digital signal on or not.