Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by djp952 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:36 am

dugiehowsa wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:19 am
Is there a repo file that can get installed in KODI that will keep the PVR addon up-to-date? Or is there a way to automatically update the addon that I am not aware of?
Support for updating binary add-ons is new in Kodi 18 "Leia". The Windows, Android, and OS/X versions of the Leia PVR add-on support auto-updates via a private Repository.

Auto update is not supported on Linux, Kodi does not provide granular enough platform information when searching for updates. It's also not supported for UWP (Xbox) since binary add-ons cannot be updated and have to be cooked into the .APPX package.

Install the Leia version on Windows, Android or OS/X and it takes care of itself after that!

dugiehowsa

Post by dugiehowsa » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:51 pm

djp952 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:36 am
dugiehowsa wrote:
Is there a repo file that can get installed in KODI that will keep the PVR addon up-to-date? Or is there a way to automatically update the addon that I am not aware of?
Support for updating binary add-ons is new in Kodi 18 "Leia". The Windows, Android, and OS/X versions of the Leia PVR add-on support auto-updates via a private Repository.
Good to know. Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, I am running on LibreELEC (Linux).

djp952

Post by djp952 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:54 pm

dugiehowsa wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:51 pm
djp952 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:36 am
dugiehowsa wrote:
Good to know. Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, I am running on LibreELEC (Linux).
If there is enough desire/need (which I think there is) I have a plan for Linux that I think will work. It will just be difficult to maintain. If I can automate the process involved it.may happen :)

The plan would be to have separate repos for each possible Linux build, with unique URLs cooked into the add-on metadata.

I think you're the third or fourth person to ask, which means there are probably lots of others that would like this. There isn't much else going on with the PVR right now (ok, nothing at all) I have the time to try it out!

jbinkley60

Post by jbinkley60 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:16 am

+1 for using LibreElec

ddejager

Trouble installing on Firestick 4K

Post by ddejager » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:33 am

I'm trying to install on a new Fire stick 4K. I've installed Leia successfully. I've used downloader to download the zip file for the kodi add-on. I've gone into the add-on browser in Leia and have tried to browse on the firestick to the zip file to install it under Leia. But when I try to browse the Root filesystem (firestick) using the add-on file browser, it does nothing....just remains on the page. I know that this is not a DVR PRV issue, but do others see this problem and what is the work-around? The add-on file browser does seem to work as expected on my non-4K firestick.

Found work around: Instead of using "root filesystem", use "external storage" in the "install from zip file" add-on browser. Seems like on the firestick 4K apps cannot access the root filesystem.

pemcshane

Post by pemcshane » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:00 am

Hello,

I just applied the latest OSMC kodi 18.2RC release (upgrade from kodi 17) and then installed the latest kodi 18 version of the unofficial HDHOMERUN DVR/PVR addon.

I have 2 HDHOMERUN Extend units which were also updated with latest firmware.

Lastly, I also use the HDHOMERUN DVR service on a Western Digital NAS and all has been great.

All went well until I started selecting live TV channels which displayed the original channel list and icons from pre-upgrade but content displayed was a completely different channel. I cleared out the channel DB multiple times but still see correct channel list with incorrect channel content displayed when a channel is selected.

Weird.

Any help in figuring this out would be much appreciated before my wife gets home :(

Thanks,
Patrick

djp952

Post by djp952 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:42 pm

pemcshane wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:00 am
Hello,

I just applied the latest OSMC kodi 18.2RC release (upgrade from kodi 17) and then installed the latest kodi 18 version of the unofficial HDHOMERUN DVR/PVR addon.

Lastly, I also use the HDHOMERUN DVR service on a Western Digital NAS and all has been great.

All went well until I started selecting live TV channels which displayed the original channel list and icons from pre-upgrade but content displayed was a completely different channel. I cleared out the channel DB multiple times but still see correct channel list with incorrect channel content displayed when a channel is selected.

Weird.

Any help in figuring this out would be much appreciated before my wife gets home :(

Thanks,
Patrick
Hi! Others have had this problem as well, myself included. From what I know so far I believe it's a Kodi 18 issue. The data from the PVR appears to be getting loaded properly, but what I really need to see is it happen on my dev machine so I can compare the Kodi database with what the UI is showing and provide evidence of it to Team Kodi.

For me, simply restarting Kodi solves the problem. No amount of clearing data will do it. Per the terms set forth by SD on using the EPG data I do not store it anywhere in the PVR, which makes this a little more challenging to pin down.

If you're game, I would like you to try some things. Bear with me, I don't have OSMC set up right now, so I can't give you extremely specific instructions:

- Switch to the default Kodi skin from the OSMC skin (Estuary)
- Go into Settings / PVR & Live TV / Guide
- If "don't cache in local database" is turned ON, turn it OFF
- Do the Clear Data on the Guide
- Let the EPG reload
- Go into the EPG, confirm that it's messed up (for me, it's always shifted down one channel and sometimes missing a bunch of channels completely)
- Pick a channel, any channel - watch it for a bit and stop playback
- Go to the Kodi Home screen / TV
- You should see a tile with the channel you just watched
- QUESTION: Is the program information in the tile correct, or incorrect?
- Restart OSMC
- QUESTION: Is the EPG now correct?

A bit tedious, but if you see what I've seen, that tile will be correct even though the EPG is incorrect, and by restarting Kodi without reloading data (hence making sure "don't cache in local database" is OFF) this means that the data from the PVR and the data in the Kodi database is correct, which makes it a UI issue.

I don't recall Kodi 18.0 ever doing this, it seems to have started with Kodi 18.1. Performance improvements in the PVR may have also exascerbated something. The guide data loads so much faster than it used to, there was even a nice bump between v1.3.13 and v2.0.0.

Sorry for the long reply -- if the problem turns out to be in the PVR, once I can prove it and find it, it will be fixed. If the problem turns out to be in Kodi, if I can prove it I will open an Issue for them. If I can fix it, I'll enter a Pull Request for them :)

Hang in there - you're not the only one with this annoyance!

edit: Well lookie what we have here - does this look familiar? https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/15960

I added a comment to that Issue with what (little) I know about it.

ssyspro

Post by ssyspro » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:24 am

Looks like they closed as fixed in latest Kodi 19 alpha. The Milhouse version referenced 0424 has PVR API v6.0.0 https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=343069 . Can we by chance get a release for Kodi 19 alpha that supports API v6 ?

ddejager

Post by ddejager » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:57 am

ssyspro wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:24 am
Looks like they closed as fixed in latest Kodi 19 alpha. The Milhouse version referenced 0424 has PVR API v6.0.0 https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=343069 . Can we by chance get a release for Kodi 19 alpha that supports API v6 ?
I would much rather see the bug fixed in Kodi 18.3. The issue is listed as closed. Does this mean they do not intend to fix it in 18.x?

pemcshane

Post by pemcshane » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:18 am

djp952 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:42 pm
pemcshane wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:00 am
Hello,

Weird.

Thanks,
Patrick
Hi! Others have had this problem as well, myself included. From what I know so far I believe it's a Kodi 18 issue. The data from the PVR appears to be getting loaded properly, but what I really need to see is it happen on my dev machine so I can compare the Kodi database with what the UI is showing and provide evidence of it to Team Kodi.

For me, simply restarting Kodi solves the problem. No amount of clearing data will do it. Per the terms set forth by SD on using the EPG data I do not store it anywhere in the PVR, which makes this a little more challenging to pin down.

If you're game, I would like you to try some things. Bear with me, I don't have OSMC set up right now, so I can't give you extremely specific instructions:

- Switch to the default Kodi skin from the OSMC skin (Estuary)
- Go into Settings / PVR & Live TV / Guide
- If "don't cache in local database" is turned ON, turn it OFF
- Do the Clear Data on the Guide
- Let the EPG reload
- Go into the EPG, confirm that it's messed up (for me, it's always shifted down one channel and sometimes missing a bunch of channels completely)
- Pick a channel, any channel - watch it for a bit and stop playback
- Go to the Kodi Home screen / TV
- You should see a tile with the channel you just watched
- QUESTION: Is the program information in the tile correct, or incorrect?
- Restart OSMC
- QUESTION: Is the EPG now correct?

A bit tedious, but if you see what I've seen, that tile will be correct even though the EPG is incorrect, and by restarting Kodi without reloading data (hence making sure "don't cache in local database" is OFF) this means that the data from the PVR and the data in the Kodi database is correct, which makes it a UI issue.

I don't recall Kodi 18.0 ever doing this, it seems to have started with Kodi 18.1. Performance improvements in the PVR may have also exascerbated something. The guide data loads so much faster than it used to, there was even a nice bump between v1.3.13 and v2.0.0.

Sorry for the long reply -- if the problem turns out to be in the PVR, once I can prove it and find it, it will be fixed. If the problem turns out to be in Kodi, if I can prove it I will open an Issue for them. If I can fix it, I'll enter a Pull Request for them :)

Hang in there - you're not the only one with this annoyance!

edit: Well lookie what we have here - does this look familiar? https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/15960

I added a comment to that Issue with what (little) I know about it.
Hi djp952,

Indeed.... The github issue you mentioned was spot on. I went through your steps above and the problem cleared up as described above. The channels shown in the channel list now displays the correct channel content associated with the selected channel!!! Yay!

Looks like the DB conversion during the OSMC upgrade process from Kodi 17.6 to 18.2 RC2 worked well as far as I can see. Movies from local library and recorded TV shows from HDHOMERUN RECORD app (running on Western Digital EXT2 NAS). I run the central MySQL DB on the Western Digital EXT2 NAS as well so plenty could have gone wrong but didn't.

Help much appreciated.

Regards,
Patrick

djp952

Post by djp952 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:07 pm

pemcshane wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:18 am
Hi djp952,

Indeed.... The github issue you mentioned was spot on. I went through your steps above and the problem cleared up as described above. The channels shown in the channel list now displays the correct channel content associated with the selected channel!!! Yay!

Looks like the DB conversion during the OSMC upgrade process from Kodi 17.6 to 18.2 RC2 worked well as far as I can see. Movies from local library and recorded TV shows from HDHOMERUN RECORD app (running on Western Digital EXT2 NAS). I run the central MySQL DB on the Western Digital EXT2 NAS as well so plenty could have gone wrong but didn't.

Help much appreciated.

Regards,
Patrick
I'm very glad that the steps worked, but I don't think this will be a permanent solution for you. There is definitely something going on with Kodi's EPG that needs to be figured out :( @ksooo reopened that Issue indicating it's not fixed in v19 "Matrix" (yet).

I have been trying all sorts of permutations of fake errors and fake problems to try and trip Kodi up, but no dice so far. I set up an OSMC device last night, and it's been perfect so far. I did find (and fix for v2.0.2) a very minor concern in the PVR wherein it may send Kodi some EPG data that was beyond the end time it asked for, but that appears to be 100% benign. I also found that Kodi has some EPG difficulties if the start time of an existing EPG entry has changed; this didn't cause the problem we're looking for here but does appear to be something that needs to be addressed in Kodi.

At this point I'm in "mitigate it with a SWAG (Scientific Wild-Ass Guess) and hope it works" mode on this. I have some concerns with how I'm handling an EPG request failure in that I may have already sent a bunch of data to Kodi for that channel before the error, and will then repeat the entire process causing duplicate data to be sent over; but so far in simulation that doesn't seem to matter to Kodi.

I wish I had a better answer other than "trust me, it's not my fault", but alas that's still where I am :(

pemcshane

Post by pemcshane » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:51 am

jbinkley60 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:16 am
+1 for using LibreElec
+1 for using OSMC!

djp952

Post by djp952 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:13 am

pemcshane wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:51 am
jbinkley60 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:16 am
+1 for using LibreElec
+1 for using OSMC!
:D

I've amassed enough gadgets and gizmos over the past couple years that I can pretty much test anything at this point. It's usually just a matter of having the time (and a reason) to set it up. It would be cool to have a little lab with all of them set up all the time, but, you know, married :mrgreen:

djp952

Post by djp952 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:45 pm

So no love here trying to duplicate the weird Leia EPG thing again. I did make a couple generally useless tweaks but they won't solve anything. I did find a real bug in setting/clearing Favorite channels and removing Channels that I introduced in v2.0.0, so that's fixed for v2.0.2.

That bug of mine has me looking in another Kodi place as well - the channels. Unlike previous Kodi versions, if a channel is added while Kodi is running, it will not show up in the EPG at all, but it does show up in the channels list. Prior to now, it would be shown in the EPG but with no data. This is kind of the path I was going down anyway, if the weirdness isn't in the EPG data itself, perhaps the weirdness comes from the way the channels are processed in the EPG UI ... I had forgotten that I did a channel scan the other day because none of the new ones showed up in the EPG and I hadn't restarted Kodi yet.

At this point I think it's more likely Kodi will fix it on their own than me being helpful, but I continue to try. Anything you guys can give me, primarily steps to make it happen, would be greatly appreciated. I'm still seeing no evidence that it's a PVR problem.

(current changelog for v2.0.2 is now listed in Post #3 of this thread - "Next Release")

EDIT: AHA! That did it - adding a channel while Kodi wasn't running killed the EPG :) Now I've got something I can dig into and report to Team Kodi. woot woot

ddejager

DVR PVR Client crashes Kodi

Post by ddejager » Wed May 01, 2019 5:21 pm

I just installed Kodi 18.2 and the latest DVR PVR Client on a Firestick TV for a friend who has a Prime 3 with a cable card. Kodi ran fine. After I installed the PVR Client, it started to pick up guide data and then Kodi crashed within seconds. Tried this on a new Firestick 4K, same problem. Tried going back to your apk build of 17.6 with the PVR Client bundled in. Same crash. Brought the Firestick to my house where I'm using a Quatro HDHomeRun tuner and it worked fine on 18.2 with the latest client (as do all of my firesticks). The HDHomeRun app works find at my friends house on the firestick. This friend had it all working last fall, but we took it out of service for a home remodel which is now done. FYI, the client is trying to pick up the guide data for about 80 channels.

Any ideas? I'll try to get a log file. I'm thinking I'll start it up, let it crash, then disconnect the Prime 3 tuner from the network and start it again. Hopefully it won't then crash and I can get the prior Kodi log....tomorrow.