Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by djp952 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:10 am

dugiehowsa wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:37 am
Occasionally, I find that an alternative audio stream is selected while viewing a channel. For example, occasionally the Spanish broadcast audio is selected during NFL broadcasts.

In order to switch it back, I need to stop the PVR client, and open the official SD Kodi Addon to change the audio settings.

https://ibb.co/HxnRLgz
https://ibb.co/vLMCkmD
https://ibb.co/4YddLKz

Is there a way to expose the audio and video settings in the PVR client so that I don't have to go into another addon to change the settings?
The PVR add-on doesn't have any control over this, it just hands all of the raw stream data to Kodi and it chooses the audio stream to use. What happens is sometimes it has trouble finding the one it wants and ends up choosing the best available in it's mind.

The easiest way I've found to deal with this is to click the little gear in the lower right corner of the Kodi Player. The last item in the menu should be "Toggle audio stream".

I see this occasionally myself, and that's what I do. It seems to happen when you are unlucky enough to start a channel during commercials or times when the audio format may be changing. But I can't really say for certain what the trigger is.

Kodi 18 has been, for me, far less reliable than Kodi 17 was on things like this. So far Kodi 19 hasn't shown any improvement either.

dugiehowsa

Post by dugiehowsa » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:06 pm

djp952 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:10 am
The PVR add-on doesn't have any control over this, it just hands all of the raw stream data to Kodi and it chooses the audio stream to use. What happens is sometimes it has trouble finding the one it wants and ends up choosing the best available in it's mind.

The easiest way I've found to deal with this is to click the little gear in the lower right corner of the Kodi Player. The last item in the menu should be "Toggle audio stream".

I see this occasionally myself, and that's what I do. It seems to happen when you are unlucky enough to start a channel during commercials or times when the audio format may be changing. But I can't really say for certain what the trigger is.

Kodi 18 has been, for me, far less reliable than Kodi 17 was on things like this. So far Kodi 19 hasn't shown any improvement either.
Thanks for the feedback. I read earlier in the thread about about KODI taking control over the audio stream selection. I was just looking for a way to change the audio stream from within the PVR client. I recently switched to a new LOGITECH remote, and I think I lost some of my button mappings, as I can no longer bring up the full playback menu during video playback. I'll have to play around with the remote some more to figure out what they keyboard key or combo brings up that menu, and then make sure it is mapped to the remote.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:39 pm

dugiehowsa wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:06 pm
I was just looking for a way to change the audio stream from within the PVR client.
While playing live or recorded TV bring up the OSD and click the gear in the lower right corner, then click toggle audio stream.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:58 pm

Kodi Leia was recently updated to version 18.5. To stay in step, the Universal Windows (UWP) .APPX packages needed to be rebuilt. There are no changes to the PVR module, nor are there any updates for other platforms at this time. This is just for the folks running on XBox One (and/or Windows 10 if you used the .APPX) to keep you up to date.

Version 2.4.1a (2019.11.20)
  • Update UWP APPX packages to Kodi Leia release 18.5
Downloads:

fongw2

Post by fongw2 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:46 am

Hi Michael. I have two MyGica Android boxes. One is an ATV1900Pro on Android 5.1 and the other is an ATV495Pro HDR running Android 6.0. The specs for the boxes are essentally the same and the CPU is supposed to be an ARM64 AArch64 quad core processor. The problem I hvae had however is I can not load/install the ARM64 version of your client on either of these boxes. Every time I try to install the Krypton ARM64 APK on either box, I get an installation failed message yet I am able to load the 32 bit Krypton ARM APK. I'm not sure where in the logs are in Android to check to see why thei installation failed. Since the ARM version works I never thought to ask why. I just upgraded to kodi Leia 18.5 on the ATV495Pro box running Marshmallow and decided to try again in case the issue was in using the APK instead of the zip file. No dice as the error I get is 'Failed to install Add-On from zip file' and I don't see a reason why in the logs.

Any suggestions on where I should be capturing logs on why this is not working?

Thanks!

djp952

Post by djp952 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:29 am

fongw2 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:46 am
Hi Michael. I have two MyGica Android boxes. One is an ATV1900Pro on Android 5.1 and the other is an ATV495Pro HDR running Android 6.0. The specs for the boxes are essentally the same and the CPU is supposed to be an ARM64 AArch64 quad core processor. The problem I hvae had however is I can not load/install the ARM64 version of your client on either of these boxes. Every time I try to install the Krypton ARM64 APK on either box, I get an installation failed message yet I am able to load the 32 bit Krypton ARM APK. I'm not sure where in the logs are in Android to check to see why thei installation failed. Since the ARM version works I never thought to ask why. I just upgraded to kodi Leia 18.5 on the ATV495Pro box running Marshmallow and decided to try again in case the issue was in using the APK instead of the zip file. No dice as the error I get is 'Failed to install Add-On from zip file' and I don't see a reason why in the logs.

Thanks!
Hi! I think the MyGica boxes run a 32bit Android system even though the CPUs can technically run 64. I do remember in the past that people needed to install the ARM Kodi on those, which would necessitate the ARM APK. If you can get the ARM64 version of Kodi running then you can use the matching APK for the PVR add-on.

As to where, I think the first few lines of the Kodi log indicate the platform and architecture, the add-on will have to match up with that or it won't load.

Hope this helps!

dugiehowsa

Post by dugiehowsa » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:56 am

Ken.F wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:39 pm
dugiehowsa wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:06 pm
I was just looking for a way to change the audio stream from within the PVR client.
While playing live or recorded TV bring up the OSD and click the gear in the lower right corner, then click toggle audio stream.

Thanks for the tip. I am using a logitech remote and not a keyboard/mouse, so I need to configure the OSD button into the remote (The "Enter" or "M" key was not created by default) so that I can pull up the OSD.

fongw2

Post by fongw2 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:32 am

djp952 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:29 am
fongw2 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:46 am

Thanks!
Hi! I think the MyGica boxes run a 32bit Android system even though the CPUs can technically run 64. I do remember in the past that people needed to install the ARM Kodi on those, which would necessitate the ARM APK. If you can get the ARM64 version of Kodi running then you can use the matching APK for the PVR add-on.

As to where, I think the first few lines of the Kodi log indicate the platform and architecture, the add-on will have to match up with that or it won't load.

Hope this helps!
Darn you are correct. There is a message in the logs that says: NOTICE: Running on Amlogic MyGica HDR Quad Core Box with Android 6.0.1 API level 23, kernal: Linux ARM 32-bit version 3.14.29
There is also NOTICE: Host CPU: AArch67 Processor rev 4 (aarch64), 4 cores available

So it looks like MyGica built a box with an AArch64 CPU but then decided to only load a 32-bit version of Android, nice. I guess I'll ping them to see if they have an upgrade for the Android to a 64-bit version but suspect they wouldn't or else it would have shipped with it. I found the Leia ARM version more responsive and faster than the Krypton version on my ATV495 box but about the same for the ATV1900. Would have been interesting to see if there was any difference to run a 64- bit version of your HDHomeRun client over the 32-bit one.

The one thing I did notice that forced me to fallback to Krypton on the ATV1900 box was that I lost the ability to control kodi using my Logitech Harmony remote. The Harmony works to control all functions in Android, but as soon as I'm in kodi, nothing works. I don't have that problem using my Harmony remote and Leia on the ATV495 so I'm not sure why my remote with Leia on the ATV1900 doesn't work. Is the remote file mapped differently in Leia than in Krypton so that my ATV1900 can't find it?

Thanks!

djp952

Post by djp952 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:19 pm

fongw2 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:32 am
Darn you are correct. There is a message in the logs that says: NOTICE: Running on Amlogic MyGica HDR Quad Core Box with Android 6.0.1 API level 23, kernal: Linux ARM 32-bit version 3.14.29
There is also NOTICE: Host CPU: AArch67 Processor rev 4 (aarch64), 4 cores available

So it looks like MyGica built a box with an AArch64 CPU but then decided to only load a 32-bit version of Android, nice. I guess I'll ping them to see if they have an upgrade for the Android to a 64-bit version but suspect they wouldn't or else it would have shipped with it. I found the Leia ARM version more responsive and faster than the Krypton version on my ATV495 box but about the same for the ATV1900. Would have been interesting to see if there was any difference to run a 64- bit version of your HDHomeRun client over the 32-bit one.

The one thing I did notice that forced me to fallback to Krypton on the ATV1900 box was that I lost the ability to control kodi using my Logitech Harmony remote. The Harmony works to control all functions in Android, but as soon as I'm in kodi, nothing works. I don't have that problem using my Harmony remote and Leia on the ATV495 so I'm not sure why my remote with Leia on the ATV1900 doesn't work. Is the remote file mapped differently in Leia than in Krypton so that my ATV1900 can't find it?

Thanks!
It's not that uncommon of a configuration, actually. A lot of Linux-based systems (RPi comes to mind) do the same thing - 32-bit OS on a 64-bit CPU. For a while there was a thing called something like "x32", which was akin to having a 64-bit kernel optimized for the 64-bit chip, but the userspace applications were still 32-bit. That may have died out, I haven't seen that in forever. I've never heard about Android considering such a kernel either, but stranger things have happened.

To be honest, you're not missing much. I'm the same way, I want 64-bit on 64-bit chips, but most applications, including Kodi, really aren't going to work any differently or perform any better as a 64-bit application. Having hardware acceleration support is much more important. A/V streams just aren't that intensive to deal with on today's hardware (4K might be a stretch for the CPU though!).

Anyway, I'm sorry to say I have no real idea about the Harmony. In the Windows world there was no difference with the IR codes or configuration between Krypton and Leia. I'd think that if you are getting nothing at all from the remote under Leia it's likely a Kodi configuration problem. Perhaps there is something that needs to be enabled under the Devices area of the settings? I would certainly expect any command differences to be minimal, SOMETHING should work from the remote if Kodi is detecting it as a valid input.

fongw2

Post by fongw2 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:40 pm

Anyway, I'm sorry to say I have no real idea about the Harmony. In the Windows world there was no difference with the IR codes or configuration between Krypton and Leia. I'd think that if you are getting nothing at all from the remote under Leia it's likely a Kodi configuration problem. Perhaps there is something that needs to be enabled under the Devices area of the settings? I would certainly expect any command differences to be minimal, SOMETHING should work from the remote if Kodi is detecting it as a valid input.
So I reloaded Leia on the other box and same problem. You were correct though that somehow the remote configuration on that box got wiped. The Harmony remote allows you to select the devices you want to control which is why I'm able to control the Android part of the box as Harmony knows that I am connecting to an ATV1900Pro and all of the remote codes/buttons are in their database for that device. Once I start Kodi though, I lose the key mappings. Not sure why, but I had to go into the 'Configure Attached Controllers' option on the Input menu and use the default Kodi controller to remap all of my Harmony remote keys (up/down/left/right/select/back). I remember having to do this a couple of versions back on Krypton but only to have to map the 'back' key.

I see there is a keymap util in kodi, so not sure if I should be creating a new/specific profile for my Harmony using that add-on instead of relying on the default 'kodi controller' which looks like an xbox 360 controller.

In any case all is working now and the lag and stuttering for live TV under Krypton is gone under Leia so I am quite pleased.

Thanks again for all of your work on this. Love this DVR over the official SD one.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:16 pm

fongw2 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:40 pm
In any case all is working now and the lag and stuttering for live TV under Krypton is gone under Leia so I am quite pleased.

Thanks again for all of your work on this. Love this DVR over the official SD one.
No worries, thanks for using it! This project has been, by far, the most fulfilling thing I've ever done just "because why not". I thought it was pretty perfect back in 1.0.0 for my own use, but oh man it's so much better from being let loose into the wild and getting so many people to use it and provide the feedback (good and bad, of course). It's been my absolute pleasure.

As always, I want to point out to everyone that this exists because of how awesome SiliconDust is. Not just the hardware, mind you, it's creating and supporting an open API for their services, allowing us to use (abuse?) their forum like we do, answering the questions, and just being generally ... awesome. I guess some level of thanks to Microsoft for ignoring Windows Media Center and letting it die a slow and painful death helped a lot too. It's the reason I made this thing. lol.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:38 am

djp952 wrote:
I've been testing out Matrix on a RPi2 (LibreELEC Millhouse #1123). I like the TV channel groups under the Recent recordings row in the TV main window. Is that part of the PVR add-on or is it something they added to Matrix itself?

djp952

Post by djp952 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:28 am

Ken.F wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:38 am
djp952 wrote:
I've been testing out Matrix on a RPi2 (LibreELEC Millhouse #1123). I like the TV channel groups under the Recent recordings row in the TV main window. Is that part of the PVR add-on or is it something they added to Matrix itself?
Matrix added that for us for all PVRs. Go Team Kodi!

CubsWin

Post by CubsWin » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:32 pm

I got this installed on both my PC and Nvidia shield and it works great, even better than I expected. Thank you!

There is one big missing feature for me though, and that is the ability to view and sort by the original air date (not the recording date) for recorded episodes. Is there any chance that will be added in the future?

djp952

Post by djp952 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm

CubsWin wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:32 pm
I got this installed on both my PC and Nvidia shield and it works great, even better than I expected. Thank you!

There is one big missing feature for me though, and that is the ability to view and sort by the original air date (not the recording date) for recorded episodes. Is there any chance that will be added in the future?
Glad you like it! This would probably be best served by the Kodi skin/UI but I can see how it would behave by reporting the air date as the recording date from the PVR.

If it works this would be an option in the PVR you can set to enable it.

Let me have a look, it sounds pretty cut and dry, perhaps something I can even do tonight for you. Stay tuned, I'll reply back with a link to a test version to try out unless it fails miserably for some reason :)