Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

starslayer74
Device ID: 15300503, 1325D5CE

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by starslayer74 »

I'm having an issue, I read through the forum but I can't figure out why it isn't working.

I have version 2.2.2, ARM64 version, I'm running on my Nvidia Shield TV. I have a Servio that I just added and I can record and schedule recordings from the official app but when I try to record from the Kodi PVR addon, I'm getting the following error: "Timer operations require an active HDHomerun DVR Service subscription"

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Do I not have the latest version?

Edit: I also installed the windows version on my laptop to see if I could get it working there, and I'm getitng the same error message, that is a fresh clean Kodi install running on the laptop with literally nothing else added on to it.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

Are you able to schedule recordings via the official HDHomeRun app? I'm not in front of a PC right now but if the PVR can't verify that you have a subscription it won't allow you to modify timers.

It could be a backend change/temporary issue or there could legitimately be something wrong with your DVR subscription.

Trying the official app should help, I can verify everything is working right when I get home.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

One thing I can think of is a Servio also has a DeviceAuth even though it is a Storage engine and does not have tuners so perhaps the tuner isn't returning the DvrActive.

For troubleshooting I would also try to switch discover methods.

Edit: also what model is your tuner as legacy models aren't supported by the DVR (you said you can record so this shoudn't be an issue)
Last edited by signcarver on Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starslayer74

Post by starslayer74 »

djp952 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:01 pm Are you able to schedule recordings via the official HDHomeRun app? I'm not in front of a PC right now but if the PVR can't verify that you have a subscription it won't allow you to modify timers.

It could be a backend change/temporary issue or there could legitimately be something wrong with your DVR subscription.

Trying the official app should help, I can verify everything is working right when I get home.
Yes, I can record things properly with the official app, both scheduled and recorded live.

starslayer74

Post by starslayer74 »

signcarver wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:18 pm One thing I can think of is a Servio also has a DeviceAuth even though it is a Storage engine and does not have tuners so perhaps the tuner isn't returning the DvrActive.

Edit: also what model is your tuner as legacy models aren't supported by the DVR (you said you can record so this shoudn't be an issue)
I have the HDHomerun Prime.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

To test my theory what i would do is get the DeviceAuth of the prime by retrieving it's discover.json

If there are any special characters it can become tricky as they should be url encoded (i.e. lately I have been getting a / in my auths and that would need to be changed to %2F (many characters don't need to be changed but I usually change anything that isn't a letter or number)

Then go to https://api.hdhomerun.com/api/account?DeviceAuth=xxx
where xxx is your DeviceAuth.

It should return something like your email address and registered devices as well as DvrActive

starslayer74

Post by starslayer74 »

signcarver wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:18 pm One thing I can think of is a Servio also has a DeviceAuth even though it is a Storage engine and does not have tuners so perhaps the tuner isn't returning the DvrActive.

Ok, update, I did switch my discover method - now I can schedule recordings in Kodi - however, the timers I'm setting up don't show up in Kodi when I'm go to my timers listings, and my recordings don't show up in Kodi's recordings area.

If I go to my HDHomerun app and look at timers, it shows what I set up to record on Kodi, and it shows that it is actively recording, but when it finishes recording, it doesn't save it anywhere that I can find it.

If I record it in the HDHomerun app, it doesn't show up on Kodi but it does show up on the app.

starslayer74

Post by starslayer74 »

signcarver wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:47 pm To test my theory what i would do is get the DeviceAuth of the prime by retrieving it's discover.json

If there are any special characters it can become tricky as they should be url encoded (i.e. lately I have been getting a / in my auths and that would need to be changed to %2F (many characters don't need to be changed but I usually change anything that isn't a letter or number)

Then go to https://api.hdhomerun.com/api/account?DeviceAuth=xxx
where xxx is your DeviceAuth.

It should return something like your email address and registered devices as well as DvrActive
I don't know how to find discover.json. I apologize.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

If the tuner shows up at my.hdhomerun.com, the easiest way would probably be to click the deviceID then add /discover.json to the end of the url that is the ip address of your tuner (i.e. 192.168.0.1/discover.json). Personally I know the ip addresses of every device on my network so I usually just enter the url directly.

Edit: didn't realize you had two posts in there as I actually went by notification... I would probably switch your discovery method back if it showed your recordings. Most likely when you made such switch it showed the DeviceAuth of the Servio as it has a DeviceID and DeviceAuth and StorageID and when they use the other method it may decide based on what it saw first...
Last edited by signcarver on Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starslayer74

Post by starslayer74 »

signcarver wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:04 pm If the tuner shows up at my.hdhomerun.com, the easiest way would probably be to click the deviceID then add /discover.json to the end of the url that is the ip address of your tuner (i.e. 192.168.0.1/discover.json). Personally I know the ip addresses of every device on my network so I usually just enter the url directly.
I knew the IP address I just wasn't sure how to find the json file. I found it now, and went to the link, this is the response I got:

{
"AccountEmail": null,
"AccountDeviceIDs": [
"1325D5CE",
"15300503"
]
}

When I look at the other device (My servio) I get the following:

{
"AccountEmail": null,
"AccountDeviceIDs": [
"1325D5CE",
"15300503"
],
"DvrActive": 1,
"AccountState": "Active"
}

I'm thinking that the prime isn't showing DvrActive and thats whats causing the issue....I emailed tech support to see if theres anything they can do about that part.

starslayer74

Post by starslayer74 »

signcarver wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:04 pm If the tuner shows up at my.hdhomerun.com, the easiest way would probably be to click the deviceID then add /discover.json to the end of the url that is the ip address of your tuner (i.e. 192.168.0.1/discover.json). Personally I know the ip addresses of every device on my network so I usually just enter the url directly.

Edit: didn't realize you had two posts in there as I actually went by notification... I would probably switch your discovery method back if it showed your recordings. Most likely when you made such switch it showed the DeviceAuth of the Servio as it has a DeviceID and DeviceAuth and StorageID and when they use the other method it may decide based on what it saw first...
Switching discovery back does show my recordings that I intiiated in the official app - but I still can't schedule recordings or see timers in Kodi. So I'm back where I started on that front.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

The servio is probably self activated... this may require nickk, nateb or NedS to look into though djp952 should be able to make sure to use the deviceAuth of the servio as well (if you can humor me if you paste both deviceAuths back to back (nothing in between) does it report DvrActive (you had posted the second as I began to write this as I had lots of other things to say)... I do know currently there is an "issue" with those that have the DVR "forever" that the servio/scribe activation hasn't "officially" extended anything yet as they were still working such out (our subscriptions haven't started yet) and it may be similar as needing an email address associated with the account.

Note to djp952, in case you need it, here is an example of what gets sent for a servio from http discovery and it's discover.json (I x'd a bunch out) and you might have some logic that overlooks sending the servio's DeviceAuth expecting it not to have one and/or it may be that "everyone" else doesn't just have a servio/scribe and/or they had already activated their tuners as I expect at least for right now, a Servio is active even without activation (I can't remember what happened when I installed one as I have had the DVR and tuners for so long, I believe I just had to click continue on the HDHomeRun App).

Code: Select all

{
DeviceID: "15300C36",
LocalIP: "192.168.0.x",
BaseURL: "http://192.168.0.x",
DiscoverURL: "http://192.168.0.x/discover.json",
StorageID: "xxxxxxxx",
StorageURL: "http://192.168.0.x/recorded_files.json"
},

Code: Select all

{
FriendlyName: "HDHomeRun SERVIO",
ModelNumber: "HHDD-2TB",
FirmwareName: "hdhomerun_hdd",
FirmwareVersion: "20190815beta1",
DeviceID: "15300C36",
DeviceAuth: "xxxxx",
BaseURL: "http://192.168.0.x:80",
StorageID: "xxxxxxxxxx",
StorageURL: "http://192.168.0.x:80/recorded_files.json",
TotalSpace: 1999421038592,
FreeSpace: 1163474509824
}

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Got it, thank you both for the information, I know what the problem is. I specifically only retrieve device authorization codes from devices flagged as "tuner".

I will make an update tonight and send it out via link here as a beta for you try, if it works I can push a formal emergency release out for everyone.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Version 2.2.3~beta1 (2019.09.07)
  • Fix bug that caused "DVR Service Subscription Required" errors when only storage engines are DVR authorized
Link to .zip files (OneDrive):
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgEGEEVzGNq-i_wmJrq ... w?e=mKocn2

This is a Beta release that intends to resolve the problem being experienced by starslayer74 -- only tuner devices were being checked for valid authorization codes, and subsequently only those tuner codes were used to check the DVR subscription status. The new SERVIO device also exposes a device authorization code that can and should be used as part of subscription status check.

starslayer74, you should also probably get your PRIME hooked up to your account so it will also be able to participate in subscription status check. Both of your devices should have come back with "DvrActive" as 1. The addon would have worked properly in spite of itself if the PRIME was "DvrActive". (But if you did we would never know about this limitation!!)

Please let me know if this resolves your problem, or of course if it causes any new problems. If it's all good I can make v2.2.3 official tomorrow evening.

starslayer74

Post by starslayer74 »

djp952 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:19 pm Version 2.2.3~beta1 (2019.09.07)
  • Fix bug that caused "DVR Service Subscription Required" errors when only storage engines are DVR authorized
Link to .zip files (OneDrive):
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgEGEEVzGNq-i_wmJrq ... w?e=mKocn2

This is a Beta release that intends to resolve the problem being experienced by starslayer74 -- only tuner devices were being checked for valid authorization codes, and subsequently only those tuner codes were used to check the DVR subscription status. The new SERVIO device also exposes a device authorization code that can and should be used as part of subscription status check.

starslayer74, you should also probably get your PRIME hooked up to your account so it will also be able to participate in subscription status check. Both of your devices should have come back with "DvrActive" as 1. The addon would have worked properly in spite of itself if the PRIME was "DvrActive". (But if you did we would never know about this limitation!!)

Please let me know if this resolves your problem, or of course if it causes any new problems. If it's all good I can make v2.2.3 official tomorrow evening.
I emailed support so I'm hoping they can tie my prime to my account.

It is definitely an improvement. I can now schedule recordings from Kodi and the scheduled recordings show up in my Recorded shows folder on Kodi.

Two things I noticed, and I don't know if they were known issues yet:

1. Timers are not showing up in Kodi (when I press "B" it isn't showing anything that is scheduled.
2. There is no indicator on the EPG view to show that a show is scheduled/recording. I think that's a PVR feature since I've had it show up when I was using NextPVR (literally just earlier today)

Those are both minor issues, I'm just happy to have recording functionality working at this point.

I really appreciate how quickly you jumped on this issue! Thanks!