Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by djp952 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:24 pm

One additional quick note about v2.2.0 - I intentionally didn't test downloads of any Jarvis or Krypton packages from GitHub. I'm trying to get an idea of how many people still use them. I think Jarvis is all but dead at this point, v2.1.0 only had 2 downloads total (as opposed to more than 2000 for Leia). I know at least one of those downloads were from me testing a link, maybe even both.

It's extremely likely that v2.2.x will finally be the end of the line for Jarvis. Kicking Krypton to the curb would be nice since it would let me iterate the build environment for Android to where it should be, but that baseline is definitely still being used. It does appear to be waning pretty rapidly, at least with people downloading newer versions. Given the recent 'breaking changes' that have happened in the past few months I think it's pretty safe to assume that users will seek out and download a new version since the old ones would have stopped working on them.

So -- if you don't use Jarvis or Krypton, please don't download the .zips from GitHub. If you do and a link is broken because I didn't test it, just let me know and I'll fix it up for ya.

Thank you!

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:14 am

I still use Krypton on my RPis. If you only get one armhf Krypton download let me know and I'll switch to Leia. I don't have any good reason for staying on Krypton other than my DialogSeekBar.xml modification doesn't seem to work on Leia.

My Linux x86-64 PC alerted me there was a PVR client update available this morning. The update itself went fine but on both my Linux PC and RPi the recent channels icons had generic logos immediately after updating. After restarting Kodi on the PC and rebooting the RPi everything was back to normal. I haven't updated my Win7 HTPC or Android devices yet so I don't know if those platforms have the same glitch.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:18 am

I almost don't want to bring this up since it's a very minor thing, but can the "news" category in the recordings list be changed to "News"? It's the only thing in the recordings list that starts with a lower case letter.

Edit: On second thought, if the case can be changed maybe it would be better to make the category items all caps to make them easier to spot?

ddejager

Post by ddejager » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:00 pm

djp952 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:20 pm
ddejager wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:49 pm
Thanks for the update info! I did not get to my friends house this week to check the log with http. I assume that the 2.2.0 release will automatically replace the beta and he will see the problem again because it will go back to HTTP. Correct?
It should™ auto-update but keep the settings from 2.2.0~beta1 since they are the same. It should™ just work. The final does fix a couple bugs with the implementation, the only one you may have seen was that I was leaving the channel tuned on the tuner. It was properly unlocked and had the stream stopped, so just an annoyance (and perhaps a few milliamps of electricity your friend didn't need to pay for)

Disclaimer: should™ is a registered trademark of the software development community. It may be used when a developer actually has no idea what will happen but crossed both their fingers and their does since they didn't test that particular item :)

edit: my Android phone had 2.2.0~beta1 on it set for RTP/UDP. It auto-updated to 2.2.0 and kept all the settings as anticipated. I'm getting kinda good at this ...
I misunderstood your comment that said "In regard to RTP/UDP, I did not include a work-in-progress feature to use a custom UDP stream. " to mean that the UDP feature was not in 2.2.0. By the way when I try to update my firestick (which is runnning 2.2.0-beta1) the only option I have is 2.1.0. Should I see 2.2.0 as an option?

UPDATE: I discovered that only my 4K firestick fails to show an update available for 2.2.0. My gen 2 firestick did automatically update. Strangely the 4K firestick does show in the "click here to see latest changes" section the description for 2.2.0, but the update itself does not show up when I click "update". Any ideas?

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:42 pm

ddejager wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:00 pm
I misunderstood your comment that said "In regard to RTP/UDP, I did not include a work-in-progress feature to use a custom UDP stream. " to mean that the UDP feature was not in 2.2.0. By the way when I try to update my firestick (which is runnning 2.2.0-beta1) the only option I have is 2.1.0. Should I see 2.2.0 as an option?

UPDATE: I discovered that only my 4K firestick fails to show an update available for 2.2.0. My gen 2 firestick did automatically update. Strangely the 4K firestick does show in the "click here to see latest changes" section the description for 2.2.0, but the update itself does not show up when I click "update". Any ideas?
There is some logic in Kodi that only goes out to look for new repo manifests every so often. I've seen it take as long as two days before it goes and finds it, I honestly never took the time to poke around to see the exact logic they use. Best guess on the 4K stick is that it had some problem getting the manifest so it's blank right now; it's likely that it will self-correct at some point. The Kodi log would show if it's having an error, but only if it's trying.

I would "wait and see" on this one, every time I've run into it I just had to wait longer. Restart Kodi as well, if it's time to go check it seems to do so at startup for binary addons fairly reliably.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:05 pm

Ken.F wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:14 am
I still use Krypton on my RPis. If you only get one armhf Krypton download let me know and I'll switch to Leia. I don't have any good reason for staying on Krypton other than my DialogSeekBar.xml modification doesn't seem to work on Leia.

My Linux x86-64 PC alerted me there was a PVR client update available this morning. The update itself went fine but on both my Linux PC and RPi the recent channels icons had generic logos immediately after updating. After restarting Kodi on the PC and rebooting the RPi everything was back to normal. I haven't updated my Win7 HTPC or Android devices yet so I don't know if those platforms have the same glitch.
No worries Ken, I don't envision trying to murder Krypton anytime soon. If the usage dwindles to the level of Jarvis, perhaps, but it's clear there are still a lot of Krypton users out there. For what it's worth, I still need Krypton to test linux-aarch64, the only ARM64 linux distro I can find that works on an ODROID-C2 doesn't have Leia yet either. I also find that Krypton is a much better choice for devices like the original Amazon FireStick -- the Leia UI is just too much for it to handle.

In regard to the icons/logos, if that's also a Krypton system it's a weird Kodi thing that should be mostly, if not completely, resolved in Leia 18.3. I have tricks (for lack of a better term) in the PVR startup to try and avoid such things; adding and removing channels while Kodi is running can be problematic. Any time I bump the major.minor version number of the PVR it creates a new database file. As a result, when the new PVR version starts it doesn't have anything cached and has nothing for Kodi to load until it does a discovery. By then it's too late. Restarting Kodi is the solution.

Originally I tried to limit major.minor version changes to when the database schema changed. Nowadays I'm trying to be more accurate with what people expect -- bump the minor version if there is a new feature or significant change in behavior. Since I added 2 new features, this went from v2.1.0 to v2.2.0, which triggered a new database file to be created. I honestly forgot all about the effect that can have in Jarvis and Krypton since I do everything in Leia first now and back-port to Jarvis/Krypton later. I think overall folks are more comfortable with the current versioning method, it makes it more clear if a release is just a bugfix (v2.2.1, for example) or something worth investigating the release notes (v2.3.0, for example).

I'll add a backlog item to track the database schema separately from the version number, it's been relatively static for a long time now -- I think how I do it made sense a couple years ago but has outlived it's usefulness. It's a minor thing to have to restart Kodi, sure, but I dislike causing unnecessary annoyances for you guys :)
Ken.F wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:18 am
I almost don't want to bring this up since it's a very minor thing, but can the "news" category in the recordings list be changed to "News"? It's the only thing in the recordings list that starts with a lower case letter.

Edit: On second thought, if the case can be changed maybe it would be better to make the category items all caps to make them easier to spot?
For this one I am not actually sure what you are talking about; can you help me with exactly where you see this and how to get there in Kodi? My Recordings don't have categories like this that I am aware of? Is this the "genre" from the EPG data, and do you maybe have "Use backend genre string(s) ..." enabled for the PVR?

I have zero problem making something proper-case or with adding an option to force something into uppercase, but I honestly don't know where to look. Sorry!

ddejager

Post by ddejager » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:45 am

I would "wait and see" on this one, every time I've run into it I just had to wait longer.
It did update overnight. Thanks.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:05 am

djp952 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:05 pm
For this one I am not actually sure what you are talking about; can you help me with exactly where you see this and how to get there in Kodi? My Recordings don't have categories like this that I am aware of? Is this the "genre" from the EPG data, and do you maybe have "Use backend genre string(s) ..." enabled for the PVR?

I have zero problem making something proper-case or with adding an option to force something into uppercase, but I honestly don't know where to look. Sorry!
In the recordings list I have folders named "news", "Specials" and "Movies" mixed in with the rest of my regular series recordings. I don't have backend genre strings turned on. I'm not sure where they are coming from. I think they first appeared after the PVR update a few weeks ago.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:41 am

Ah OK. That's either the series name or a category that I wasn't aware of. Fairly recently they removed a JSON attribute I was using to generate the folder names you see there, if a new "news" category is in play I can translate it into "News". I wouldn't do uppercase here specifically but again would be OK giving you an option to see "MOVIES", "SPECIALS", "SPORTING EVENTS" (and maybe "NEWS"). I get the reasoning.

What I will need from you is a copy of the recorded_files.json information from your DVR engine. We can get this with a web browser, or if you send me a copy of your hdhomerundvr-v2.2.db file that will have it cached in there.

From a web browser, you need to go to my.hdhomerun.com/discover. In the results there will be a value called "StorageURL", navigating to that URL will give you the JSON data for all your recordings. You can copy/paste that into a text file and send it to me (don't paste in open forum, please, I'll PM you my e-mail address).

If you prefer sending the database file, it will be in the Kodi addons\pvr.hdhomerundvr directory. Ideally Kodi should be stopped when this file is grabbed, but that's hard to do in some cases. There is no PII in the database file other than your tuner Device ID strings and their current authorization codes (which expire after 24 hours).

Either way will work, it will be quick to see if it's a series name or a new category and I can make the adjustments in the latter case for you.

FWIW, I did ask about a month ago about these categories, but it went unanswered: viewtopic.php?f=125&t=71757. We will have to take new or different categories as they come ...

djp952

Post by djp952 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:44 pm

Ken.F, I added a mapping for the category of "news" to show as a folder named "News" in Kodi. It's a little early for a formal release since v2.2.0 just came out, but given that I now know that the "~betaX" version numbering actually works as expected, if you want to grab the change early the .zips are available here (Leia only): https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgEGEEVzGNq-i_s7MObDkTP2tuA3rA

Please let me know if you run into more of these situations since there is no list I am aware of to reference to ensure the list of mappings is complete. I did record some "news" programs and they now show up under "News", with a capital N. I am also open to your suggestion of adding an option to make the special folders ALL UPPERCASE or adding some prefix/suffix to differentiate them from the normal "series" folders.

Version 2.2.1~beta1 (2019.07.22):
  • Add Recorded TV category mapping for "News"
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgEGEEVzGNq-i_s7MObDkTP2tuA3rA

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:05 am

I loaded 2.2.1-beta1 on my Win7-64 and Linux-64 PC without any trouble. I tried loading zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-android-arm-leia-2.2.1.7142.zip on my Shield but it wouldn't install. Is that the right one for the Shield? Anyway, the News category looks good on the PCs.

It would be great if the category folders could be pinned to the top. If not you could prefix them with a special character like an *asterisk or ~tilde, or put them in [brackets]. They would be easier to see and they would go to the top when sorting the recordings by name. All caps would make them easier to spot if they were mixed in with other show titles but sorting by name wouldn't put them at the top. I think brackets make the most sense visually since they look like a container but I'm open to anything.

Thanks for taking the time to work on this. I didn't think fixing a typo would lead to anything this complex.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:14 am

Shield is an ARM64 device, it needs the android-aarch64 variant of the add-on.

I can't pin the order of the folders but I will see about an option to add a prefix so they would alphabetically appear first if sorted that way in Kodi.

We could also do a PR for Kodi 19 so it could support a visual indicator and/or pin special folders.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:44 am

djp952 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:14 am
OK, thanks. I tried updating before I had my coffee this morning. I remember using the android-arm version in the past but I guess that was for my Mi Box and Nexus Player. I already have too many different architectures to keep track of, then I went and picked up a RPi4 the other day. That one has a BCM2711B0 Cortex-A72 ARMv8-A. I'm not sure if that one takes the linux-aarch64 or linux-armhf version. I'll have to put Kodi on it and see which one sticks.
I can't pin the order of the folders but I will see about an option to add a prefix so they would alphabetically appear first if sorted that way in Kodi.

We could also do a PR for Kodi 19 so it could support a visual indicator and/or pin special folders.
Sounds good. Thanks.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Ken.F wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:44 am
djp952 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:14 am
OK, thanks. I tried updating before I had my coffee this morning. I remember using the android-arm version in the past but I guess that was for my Mi Box and Nexus Player. I already have too many different architectures to keep track of, then I went and picked up a RPi4 the other day. That one has a BCM2711B0 Cortex-A72 ARMv8-A. I'm not sure if that one takes the linux-aarch64 or linux-armhf version. I'll have to put Kodi on it and see which one sticks.

Sounds good. Thanks.
Thinking more about this, I have a bit of a concern with adding a prefix that changes the sort order -- languages other than English. I don't provide any translations in the PVR, mainly because I can barely get by in French and that's about it, but I do want to be careful about messing around with the strings that come from the DVR. Suffixes like the "[R]" indicator don't mess with sort orders, but prefixes do. I definitely have non-English language users of the PVR. I'm certain of a few German and French users, there are probably some others as well. Having things like settings only in English is probably annoying but not show-stopping for them.

Would you consider an alternative approach of being able to disable the category folders altogether as a reasonable compromise? Without the categories it could either use the series name for everything, or lump all the non-series items in the root folder. With the former approach, items like Movies or Specials would appear in their own folder. The latter approach would take items you currently see as "News", "Movies", "Sporting Events", or "Specials" and leave them at the top level of Recordings.

We can still do a prefix if you think that's the best way to go, I can look into the Unicode character sets for the primary latin-type languages and choose something that is the same in most and comes before the alphanumerics. I actually think most of them are the same. I would love to use a chevron, for example, but that is used in place of double-quotes in some languages.

Anyway, no hurry on a response, thinking out loud here.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:54 pm

djp952 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:48 pm
Would you consider an alternative approach of being able to disable the category folders altogether as a reasonable compromise?
Disabling them and going by series name would be fine with me. Or whatever else you decide would be OK too.