Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

jbinkley60

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by jbinkley60 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:48 pm

With v2 some of the settings moved to match the standard Kodi addon approach and Jason points out Also since you reinstalled Kodi, make sure you are in Expert mode to see all the settings. The voice of experience talking on this item :D

RoyBrander

Post by RoyBrander » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:29 pm

Yeah, I looked in there and there were a few settings, but nothing about length of guide display. I'm away from home until Monday night, but I'll post a screenshot if helpful.

I must have put it into expert mode last time. I'll look it up when I get home and try again. Thanks.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:41 pm

RoyBrander wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:29 pm
Yeah, I looked in there and there were a few settings, but nothing about length of guide display. I'm away from home until Monday night, but I'll post a screenshot if helpful.

I must have put it into expert mode last time. I'll look it up when I get home and try again. Thanks.
I'm out of town and I seem to have not applied my own latest updates on the tablet I have so I can't run Kodi without it crashing since there are no tuners on my hotel network - lol.

You guys are on the right path -- the length of the guide data specified in Kodi controls a lot of things in the PVR. Increasing that should be the fix you are looking for. To limit the amount of data that the addon has to load from the backend, I use the Kodi guide settings as often as possible. I believe 3 days is indeed the default setting. The PVR addon will intentionally not ask for and/or filter out anything from the backend that would exceed the EPG timeframe.

Sorry I'm not in a place where I can really help, but the points raised are spot-on. Set Expert Mode and bump up the number of Guide data days you want; note that exceeding 14 days is pointless, I recommend 5-7 days if that suits your needs. I try hard to recommend people use the minimum # of days that suit their needs not only for PVR addon performance, but to not slam SiliconDust more than is necessary. FWIW on my main Living Room PC I use 5 days. On "real" setups that aren't used that often I go with 3. On development/test setups I go with 1 day :)

Thanks everyone - I'll try to get online every couple days and will be back at chez djp952 next week :)

RoyBrander

Post by RoyBrander » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:26 am

Expert mode took some searching for - aha, the little sprocket in the corner - but now I'm good, following the required head-smack. Many thanks for the hint!

RoyBrander

Post by RoyBrander » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:37 am

Hmmmm....just reading your notes about 5-7 days being enough. You're probably right, though I like looking ahead for movies coming up, etc.

I was caught by the notion of "slamming Silicon Dust", though....wouldn't two weeks, maybe 30 entries per day per channel, times a few hundred bytes of data per show, be well under a megabyte? I'm not sure if the updates reload the whole database, or just add two hours every 120 minutes (the default refresh time), which would be just a few K, I think.

It's grabbing any schedule at all every 120 minutes that strikes me as excessive; wouldn't a 14-day schedule updated every 240 minutes be the same server load, even if it's a full refresh?

Either way, I think I'll max out my refresh interval. Four or six hours or sixteen, for that matter, strikes me as pretty often for a TV schedule.

Given the visual ad-volume on the typical news web page, I think every page of a site like vox.com must be a megabyte, though. I'm not sure if Silicon Dust can even "feel" these things very hard in the bottom line.

jbinkley60

Post by jbinkley60 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:10 pm

RoyBrander wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:26 am
Expert mode took some searching for - aha, the little sprocket in the corner - but now I'm good, following the required head-smack. Many thanks for the hint!
Like I said, the voice of experience in my response. I did the exact same thing you did. I was getting ready to drop a question here about what happened to the guide settings etc. Then I decided to re-enable Expert mode. Anyway, glad you are fixed. I myself pull in 14 days ahead and 0 hours behind on the schedule.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:21 pm

RoyBrander wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:37 am
I was caught by the notion of "slamming Silicon Dust", though....wouldn't two weeks, maybe 30 entries per day per channel, times a few hundred bytes of data per show, be well under a megabyte? I'm not sure if the updates reload the whole database, or just add two hours every 120 minutes (the default refresh time), which would be just a few K, I think.
It's actually quite a bit more data than that, but the main reason I ask people to limit the amount of data they pull via my PVR is that I don't want to be responsible, directly or indirectly, for causing SiliconDust to have to "flip the bill" to provide all this data for a third party addon they didn't author. The current SD backend is designed for their application, aka the "Slice Guide". At no time does their application hit the backend and download ALL the data for ALL the channels at once. The way Slice works it's a small amount of data infrequently, whereas populating a grid EPG like Kodi needs a large amount of data, and it needs it all at once.

You are free to set things to whatever you prefer, of course, and the bandwidth we are using may indeed be negligible to SiliconDust. But on the other hand, it might not be negligible and if we ever start causing them a problem and they ask me to prevent things or add limitations, I certainly will :D

I guess I just think of all this as something that SiliconDust has allowed to exist thus far because they are a pretty awesome company and hopefully we've managed to help sell some hardware for them along the way. I doubt we've come close to offsetting the cost of the bandwidth this PVR uses that they pay for, so it's probably really just because they are that awesome.

Besides, you are jumping in at a point where the EPG isn't as nasty to load as it once was :) Not long ago, the PVR would take forever to load that much data, but it's pretty fast nowadays (based on a fantastic end user suggestion, too!). I'm serious, it was somewhere around 25-30 minutes to load 14 days of data for all channels.

I'm thrilled to have as many people getting benefit from this project as there are, but I do hope that we can all be gracious guests to our extremely gracious hosts. We pay for the DVR service and the EPG data, but I don't think we can be sure that what we are paying is truly covering SiliconDust's expenses when software they didn't write starts doing things differently.

Hope this helps a little, if not too long and/or preachy. Use what you need, it's there and available for you -- if it becomes a problem I'm sure they will let me know and give me a chance to make adjustments, because .. they really are that awesome.

ddejager

Post by ddejager » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:48 am

@djp925: So a "strange" request for you. I've installed your client (on a Firestick 4K) for a number of friends who have a similar situation as mine (remote over a long distance radio link to where the tuner lives). In a couple situations I find that the client glitches repeatedly (timer on screen while it rebuffers). I observe, however, that if I use HDHomeRun Config to open a stream and send it to VLC using UDP, the stream works fine. I'm suspecting a problem in the wireless link where it is not really full duplex and all the bi-directional traffic (ACKS) for http/TCP is causing issues, whereas with UDP it is, essentially a SAP (Send And Pray) protocol with no ACKs. Is it easy for you to have an option to use UDP (or rtp, which also seems to work) instead of HTTP to connect to the tuner (if only for testing)?

The other thing that I've observed is that the stalling/rebuffering is much worse with a 2nd gen firestick than with a fire TV stick 4K. I suspect this has to do with the higher performance of the 4K as well as better WiFi radio. Do you agree?

Thanks!

djp952

Post by djp952 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:20 pm

ddejager wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:48 am
@djp925: So a "strange" request for you. I've installed your client (on a Firestick 4K) for a number of friends who have a similar situation as mine (remote over a long distance radio link to where the tuner lives). In a couple situations I find that the client glitches repeatedly (timer on screen while it rebuffers). I observe, however, that if I use HDHomeRun Config to open a stream and send it to VLC using UDP, the stream works fine. I'm suspecting a problem in the wireless link where it is not really full duplex and all the bi-directional traffic (ACKS) for http/TCP is causing issues, whereas with UDP it is, essentially a SAP (Send And Pray) protocol with no ACKs. Is it easy for you to have an option to use UDP (or rtp, which also seems to work) instead of HTTP to connect to the tuner (if only for testing)?

The other thing that I've observed is that the stalling/rebuffering is much worse with a 2nd gen firestick than with a fire TV stick 4K. I suspect this has to do with the higher performance of the 4K as well as better WiFi radio. Do you agree?

Thanks!
I can certainly look into it. Right now I only have an HTTP-based streamer, I think I would need to add something to use libhdhomerun to use UDP. Not prohibitive at all. I'll be back in town Monday :)

As for the performance, I've been disappointed with the 2nd gen myself, but mainly for UI and Blu-Ray playback. Mine is hooked up via the Ethernet adapter and while I haven't seen any TV issues specifically we really don't use that device very much. The 4K stick is superior in just about every way (but has problems with Blu-Ray playback for us).

One thing you can try on the 2nd gen is to make sure you have all the Kodi and PVR options set to not do ANYTHING while streaming. Kodi should have a couple available, like not to update the EPG during playback, and I have one or two in there as well. IIRC the 2nd Gen runs at close to 100% doing Kodi things, and Android (again in my opinion) is not great at prioritizing things like the network stack, so anything you can do to limit the number of things going on while you're streaming may help.

I'll look into the first request next week for sure, I'll likely have some questions for you -- hang tight my friend!

ddejager

Post by ddejager » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:18 am

I also use ethernet to connect the firesticks in my house, but this is not always practical for some of my friends.

I observe that the HDHomeRun tuners support UDP, RTP and HTTP natively, nothing else is needed, but I understand that you might need a library to connect with something other than HTTP. I'm not sure if the HD record engine also supports more than HTTP. To see the UDP stream I:

Open the HDHomeRun Config GUI on a tuner on a windows machine. Click on one of the tuners. Enter a valid channel number and click on View. In my case this will fire up VLC using a UDP stream from the tuner to VLC on the loopback interface for the PC. I'm not sure if at some time in the past I set up some association between VLC and the stream or not.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Have you done basic wifi fixes, like getting the Fire Stick out away from the TV? The whole stick concept is really problematic when you consider that most TVs spew RF and also have a big metal cage inside them to try to spew less RF. Then you stick an RF device on the back of it (wifi in the stick), and it's getting all sorts of interference from the TV, and the metal cage sits between the stick and the router and just kills the signal in both directions. Take a 1 foot HDMI extender cable, get the stick clear of the TV, and suddenly wifi performance is double or triple what it was when directly connected to the TV.

usafle

Post by usafle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:58 am

Anyone else here with a Vero 4K box? I am sure it's not this plug-ins fault, but rather, the botched upgrade job they've done from Krypton to Leia. I've nothing but issues with the HDHomeRun now. A few channels work but the majority are "Request timed out - cannot create livestream". A reboot of the Box and clearing the data will sometimes fix the issue but otherwise, it's utter garbage. No issues on my Shield or Minix NEO running CoreELEC, just this POS Vero box. lol

timecutter

Post by timecutter » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:10 pm

seeing weird issue, not sure when it started because it is recording however when we try to add a new timer or record from guide or live tv it shows "Timer operations require an active HDHomeRun DVR Service subscription". Windows HDHomeRun clients show record button and timer activities work from that client.

my.hdhomerun.com shows 2 tuners and the record engine. Setup on HDHomeRun dvr tab shows HDHomeRun DVR Account: Active

Live TV is pulling through the record engine, pause/rw/ff work.

Log on kodi shows:
NOTICE: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: discover_devices_task: initiated local network device discovery
2019-06-18 20:02:36.635 T:3634291504 NOTICE: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: discover_devices_task: discovered: HDHomeRun PRIME XXXXX
2019-06-18 20:02:36.635 T:3634291504 NOTICE: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: discover_devices_task: discovered: HDHomeRun PRIME XXXXX
2019-06-18 20:02:36.635 T:3634291504 NOTICE: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: discover_devices_task: discovered: HDHomeRun RECORD 1F97XXXX

2019-06-18 20:12:38.244 T:3634291504 NOTICE: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: discover_recordingrules_task: initiated recording rule discovery
2019-06-18 20:12:38.244 T:3634291504 NOTICE: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: discover_recordingrules_task: no tuners with valid DVR authorization were discovered; skipping recording rule discovery

Running Version 20190611beta1 on record engine and 2.0.3 on the kodi client. I just upgraded to 20190611 tonight when I noticed it wasn't working, it was 20190603 before I upgraded.

Single ip on clients/record engine running on /24. http://ipv4-api.hdhomerun.com/discover shows the devices and recordengine:port/discover.json shows normal.

I've tried broadcast on/off and tried it on different kodi clients (all running 2.0.3) with same results.

Any pointers to where I should start looking?

djp952

Post by djp952 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:49 pm

timecutter wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:10 pm
seeing weird issue, not sure when it started because it is recording however when we try to add a new timer or record from guide or live tv it shows "Timer operations require an active HDHomeRun DVR Service subscription". Windows HDHomeRun clients show record button and timer activities work from that client.

my.hdhomerun.com shows 2 tuners and the record engine. Setup on HDHomeRun dvr tab shows HDHomeRun DVR Account: Active

Log on kodi shows:
NOTICE: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: discover_devices_task: initiated local network device discovery
2019-06-18 20:02:36.635 T:3634291504 NOTICE: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: discover_devices_task: discovered: HDHomeRun RECORD 1F97XXXX

2019-06-18 20:12:38.244 T:3634291504 NOTICE: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: discover_recordingrules_task: initiated recording rule discovery
2019-06-18 20:12:38.244 T:3634291504 NOTICE: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: discover_recordingrules_task: no tuners with valid DVR authorization were discovered; skipping recording rule discovery

Running Version 20190611beta1 on record engine and 2.0.3 on the kodi client. I just upgraded to 20190611 tonight when I noticed it wasn't working, it was 20190603 before I upgraded.

Single ip on clients/record engine running on /24. http://ipv4-api.hdhomerun.com/discover shows the devices and recordengine:port/discover.json shows normal.

I've tried broadcast on/off and tried it on different kodi clients (all running 2.0.3) with same results.

I'm getting the exact same problem here, I don't think it's specifically related to the code and am guessing this is a transient condition with the backend "account" API. v2.x actually makes sure you have a valid DVR subscription before allowing you to do anything against it.

If the problem persists beyond tomorrow, I'll contact SD and see if I need to make any changes. An emergency release would be a fairly quick turnaround.

As for right this second, there is nothing that can seem to be done :( "Wait and see" seems appropriate, or try the official SD HDHomeRun app to see if adding/manipulating Recording Rules works there. This wouldn't be the first time that SD changed something that broke the PVR, but I am so far into "undocumented" territory here that isn't meant as a dig at SD :)

djp952

Post by djp952 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:59 pm

timecutter wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:10 pm

Log on kodi shows:

Nevermind, the backend API changed on us. I'll have to put out an emergency release tomorrow for you guys. Unfortunately I don't have enough time to take care of this tonight.

Hang tight, I'll move my "work in progress" pointer back a bit and get something out ASAP based on the current release only.

I love and appreciate SD, but sometimes they are a little frustrating with documentation and communication ....