Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by djp952 »

djp952 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:01 pm
Ken.F wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:18 am I noticed 19.1 has a small movie camera placeholder icon next to each recording. Is that supposed to be a thumbnail image?
I'm not sure actually, and have been wondering myself. I'll have to take a look. I didn't play with Kodi 19.1 at all while it was being developed (been working on the ever elusive radio addon, and all the proposed changes to Kodi I believe I need to support it -- getting there). I think a thumbnail there would be pretty jarring visually, perhaps for addons that don't sort into folders like this one does that might make sense. For us, we'd just see the same thumbnail umpteen times. My guess is this is just a static image for now with the intent to do something like a thumbnail later.
This is supposed to be the channel logo, but it's apparently a bit broken in Kodi 19.1. The master branch build has this fixed so it should work right in Kodi 19.2, whenever that takes place. A very rudimentary search through recent Kodi commits seems to finger a simple typo/copypasta issue that crept in.

Mystery solved, but solution is "pending" :)

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:24 pm This is supposed to be the channel logo, but it's apparently a bit broken in Kodi 19.1. The master branch build has this fixed so it should work right in Kodi 19.2, whenever that takes place. A very rudimentary search through recent Kodi commits seems to finger a simple typo/copypasta issue that crept in.

Mystery solved, but solution is "pending" :)
Could that mistake be leveraged to guilt the responsible dev to make that field a bit more configurable? I think it would be a great place to display a channel number instead of a channel logo. ;)

Most people probably only get each network on a single channel number but I have a mix of OTA and cable sources. It would be handy to know which channel number was used for each recording. On my OTA tuners I get Comet on two different channels. One of them (WPHL-DT4) is bitstarved 4:3 (sometimes 16:9 content force-fed into a 4:3 screen by way of DAR flags so the picture looks squished in from the sides), and the other is much cleaner full 16:9 SD (WPSG-DT3). And yes, I had to look up the network call-signs.
For the cable tuners many of my Starz and Showtime channels have very similar logos, and (mostly) the Starz channels have network names so convoluted you need an enigma machine to decipher them. The logos are impossible for me to tell apart on any screen smaller than a JumboTron. Did I forget to mention I prefer to see concise channel numbers instead of some meaningless jambalaya of random letters that don't spell anything?

Thoughts on the first aired date:
Maybe next to the repeat [R] indicator at the end of the episode name you could add the first aired date if known? Might look something like this on 19.1:

Code: Select all

Austin City Limits 	05/16/21 10:59:00 PM
S44E03: Sam Smith; Anderson East [R][10/20/2018]
I suppose the season/episode number and episode name would still be a scrolling single line on 19.0. I don't think the first aired date was listed anywhere on Leia and earlier.
I understand including the original air date could lead to confusion for new series episodes since they are dated the previous day. Maybe it would be better to simply put a [N] indicator for "New" after the episode name if it's a first airing instead of including the original air date, or just leave it off altogether like it is now.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

No guilt is implied or inferred :) Team Kodi is free to do whatever they want to with their product!

I'm down with both the proposed Original Air Date "[date]" suffix for recordings, as well as some manner of "new" indicator (HDHomeRun exposes a "FirstAiring" attribute for recordings I use here); I don't see these options as being mutually exclusive, though. I think both could be done independently as configurable options? I do wonder if the latter option, the "[N]" suffix (for example) is useful as wouldn't the lack of an "[R]" indicator on the recording indicate that it was a "FirstAiring" (that's how it coded right now, anyway)?

For Original Air Date, I was thinking more towards a change to the right-hand UI panel; would this information be best served to display at the point where you've already clicked on a Recording and will see that level of detail, or is the Original Air Date factoring into how you are sorting the Recordings? I've found that the "File" sort works best overall for this addon as it will (silently) take into account the Season and Episode numbers (when available) and pretty much do the right thing ... have you tried this sort?

I'm happy to do either or both things moving forward, of course :)

Bill_S

Post by Bill_S »

Hi everyone,
I updated to Matrix and using Yatse (on Android) remote for Kodi. I'm running Kodi on Windows and installed the current x64 addon. Streaming channels and recording works but Yatse loses control on the stream. After looking at Yatse logs the folks at Yatse say Kodi stops responding to JSON. Once I stop the stream, Yatse connects back up and works with all other addon streams. Is this a issue with the add-on or with Matrix?
Thanks all

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:50 pm I'm down with both the proposed Original Air Date "[date]" suffix for recordings, as well as some manner of "new" indicator (HDHomeRun exposes a "FirstAiring" attribute for recordings I use here); I don't see these options as being mutually exclusive, though. I think both could be done independently as configurable options? I do wonder if the latter option, the "[N]" suffix (for example) is useful as wouldn't the lack of an "[R]" indicator on the recording indicate that it was a "FirstAiring" (that's how it coded right now, anyway)?
I would think new recordings don't need the original air to be displayed since that should be the same (or nearly the same) as the recording date that we already see. The [N] marker would be visual cue to explain why the original air date is not listed, but I suppose not having a [R] would do the same thing. Either way is fine with me.
For Original Air Date, I was thinking more towards a change to the right-hand UI panel; would this information be best served to display at the point where you've already clicked on a Recording and will see that level of detail, or is the Original Air Date factoring into how you are sorting the Recordings? I've found that the "File" sort works best overall for this addon as it will (silently) take into account the Season and Episode numbers (when available) and pretty much do the right thing ... have you tried this sort?

I'm happy to do either or both things moving forward, of course :)
Adding it to the right side is fine with me. I always sort by date so the most recently recorded stuff is at the top. Gracenote doesn't have the original airdate for everything so maybe that shouldn't be a sorting option.

I was just hoping to be able to see the original air date with less clicks than opening the context menu, navigating the maximum number of clicks to get to the dead center position of the context menu (6 down or 5 up) just so I can open the recording information screen, then after a quick glance back out again.

I noticed in 19.1 they added every bit of information found in the context menu recording info screen to the recordings right pane except for the first aired date. It makes me wondering if that was intentional or if they just forgot to add it. Maybe it would be better to ask them to include it in 19.2 instead of wedging it into the PVR add-on.

FoodLioon

Post by FoodLioon »

Re:Padding

Creating a Recording: Record Series Timer from Kodi with zero padding will actually have 30 seconds added to the start and end. A one-off recording will respect the zero setting.
I think this was discussed before but I couldn't find it. May be a feature of the DVR service, not a bug.

emveepee

Post by emveepee »

djp952 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:23 pm But, that aside, the reason I'm posting is to point out that Kodi "Matrix" 19.1 seems to have made the addon setting "Use season/episode number as title for recordings" obsolete; the updated UI will show the Season and Episode numbers as part of a subtitle that also includes the episode name for recordings.
Do you get a sort capability with this in your client? In NextPVR the added S/E info don't help with the name sort so I still have to use the filename sort.

Martin

djp952

Post by djp952 »

emveepee wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:46 am
djp952 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:23 pm But, that aside, the reason I'm posting is to point out that Kodi "Matrix" 19.1 seems to have made the addon setting "Use season/episode number as title for recordings" obsolete; the updated UI will show the Season and Episode numbers as part of a subtitle that also includes the episode name for recordings.
Do you get a sort capability with this in your client? In NextPVR the added S/E info don't help with the name sort so I still have to use the filename sort.

Martin
Nope. The "File" sort is still the only way I know of to properly sort recordings by season/episode. I personally use it religiously :)

djp952

Post by djp952 »

FoodLioon wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:18 pm Re:Padding

Creating a Recording: Record Series Timer from Kodi with zero padding will actually have 30 seconds added to the start and end. A one-off recording will respect the zero setting.
I think this was discussed before but I couldn't find it. May be a feature of the DVR service, not a bug.
Thank you, I will attempt to replicate as time allows and either fix or explain why it is so. Real (you know, the paid kind) work is currently taking priority :) I hope to be able to make some time this weekend.

emveepee

Post by emveepee »

djp952 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:29 pm Nope. The "File" sort is still the only way I know of to properly sort recordings by season/episode. I personally use it religiously :)
I don't know if you use this in your advancedsettings.xml, less praying.

Code: Select all

<pvr>
    <pvrrecordings>
      <sortmethod>4</sortmethod> <!-- 1=Name 2=Date 3=Size 4=File -->
      <sortorder>2</sortorder>  <!-- 1=Ascending 2=Descending -->
    </pvrrecordings>
  </pvr>
Martin

djp952

Post by djp952 »

FoodLioon wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:18 pm Re:Padding

Hi FoodLioon, I was unable to 100% duplicate the concern (I get the same results for both series and one-off rules), but I can explain what's going on here.

HDHomeRun DVR has a minimum/default setting of 30 seconds for both start and end padding, whereas Kodi defines this value in minutes. The addon currently translates "0 mins" to mean "30 seconds", and vice-versa, since values less than 30 seconds will be ignored by the HDHomeRun backend and silently converted to the default (30 seconds). I apologize for not remembering this, I believe this conversion has been in place for many years, probably since version 1.0.0 :)

I did note something that needs to be fixed in that the updated HDHomeRun API documentation defines limits for the start/end padding that weren't previously noted (1 hour vs. 3 hours, respectively) that the addon should obey, and I feel that the addon should omit the padding value altogether rather than arbitrarily setting it to 30 seconds if Kodi is trying to set 0 minutes.

A change definitely needs to be made to accommodate the updated API boundaries, and it's mathematically impossible to resolve the time unit difference (seconds vs. minutes) without an arbitrary decision, but I am concerned that I was not able to see what you are seeing here. Are you able to expound any further on how you determined the difference between "0 seconds" and "30 seconds" in Kodi? Kodi deals in minutes and the existing addon logic (while seemingly imperfect) seems to hold up so far in the scenarios I've run to date. HDHomeRun should always pad a minimum of 30 seconds to both start and end; I have not found a way to make this any more granular...

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Kodi should change that as there isn't anything wrong with setting padding in seconds including 0 seconds that many with a 2 tuner device almost must do so priority can properly work on many back to back recording times otherwise if it is already recording a channel if the next show is scheduled it would end up being highest priority regardless and/or tuners aren't available because 2 things were previously recording on other channels.

If such setting is forced to minutes in kodi, could a negative value be used to send 0 as 0 second padding is strongly desired by many (I've even have had to give people scripts to change every rule to 0 second padding)- omitted is 30s 0 is 0s

FoodLioon

Post by FoodLioon »

Re: padding

I'm not sure what you are asking.

If I press "Record" in the context menu in the guide, it will set no padding.

If I press "Add timer" in the context menu in the guide, it will set 30 seconds padding on start and end.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

FoodLioon wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:07 am Re: padding

I'm not sure what you are asking.

If I press "Record" in the context menu in the guide, it will set no padding.

If I press "Add timer" in the context menu in the guide, it will set 30 seconds padding on start and end.
Hmmm... how are you determining that there is zero (intended) padding? Are you examining the recording rules (API)? A lack of StartPadding/EndPadding on the rule implies 30 seconds. Also, when you are hitting "Record" are you doing that for a program in the future, or one that may already be live? I did see an inconsistency with how one might see "30" or nothing at all for the rule, but they do mean the same thing. I was going to clean that up so that the tags will just be omitted for the default (30 seconds, "0 min" in Kodi) option.

I'll check again, of course, but "Record" is the same operation as adding a "Record Once" timer manually for that series at that start time. Whatever the default paddings set in PVR & Live TV will be passed into the addon automatically.

If you're trying to record something wherein the start time has already passed, the DVR engine will pick it up ASAP and not do any start padding. The end padding should still apply in this case, however.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

OK, I was a little wrong :) I can indeed set the padding to values less than 30 seconds, but I cannot set it to zero. The lowest it will go is 1 second. Sending in a zero will remove the attribute, which makes it 30 seconds again.

I swear there is no way to set it to zero my friend :) I'm not sure at this point changing the definition of "0 min" to mean "1 second" instead of "30 seconds" would be something that could be done globally, since this is the Kodi default a great deal of people may get behavior they didn't expect or desire.

If you can make use of changing the definition of "0 min" to be as low as the backend will accept, I'd be on board with making it an option for you? It's the first time in 4+ years this has come up, but I don't mind putting in the time if it would help anybody ...