Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by djp952 »

No review necessary :) You just have to manually install the current version of the addon after reinstalling Kodi:

Matrix downloads: https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... rix-(19.x)
Matrix install instructions: https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... rix-(19.x)

You can even preserve the current addon settings if you'd like. Find the "Userdata" folder for your system (https://kodi.wiki/view/Userdata), and from there go into addon_data, then pvr.hdhomerundvr. Copy out the settings.xml file. After you've reinstalled Kodi and the addon, close Kodi and put that file back. You'll know you're in the right place if you see the "hdhomerundvr-v13.db" file.

NOTE: There is no good reason to back up/restore the .db file, no settings are stored in there and it will repopulate itself with the exact same information it had before :)

Let me know if you run into trouble, always happy to help.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Because I really don't want anyone to be bored this weekend; how about a beta version of your favorite PVR addon to keep you busy? It actually has something new ...

Build 7741 - v3.5.0~beta1 (Leia) / v4.5.0~beta1 (Matrix)
  • Update SQLite database engine to version 3.35.0
  • Update cURL library to version 7.75.0
  • Fix bug that could cause unnecessary triggering of both channel and channel group updates
  • Fix race condition that could cause a "Database is locked" error to be logged during Kodi startup
  • Fix bug preventing timers and timer rules from updating when Kodi EPG 'Future days to display' setting has changed
  • Add new "Radio Channels" settings category and associated options to enable radio channel mapping
  • (Leia) Adjust reported Electronic Program Guide (EPG) original air values based on the system time zone
And now for the djp952 "verbal diarrhea" portion...

Fix bug preventing timers and timer rules from updating when Kodi EPG 'Future days to display' setting has changed
This is something that seems to have happened at some point since the switchover to XMLTV due to a couple oversights on my part (sorry). When you change the Kodi Guide setting "Future days to display", the pre-XMLTV addon (2.x) would trigger a Timer update for you to adjust that data set, but in 3.x/4.x I was instead executing a "soft" XMLTV update that wouldn't do anything useful if your XMLTV data was current, so Kodi wouldn't show you new data in the EPG based on the setting, nor would it show you updated Timers until you restarted it. The fix refreshes both the Kodi EPG and the Timers when this is changed. Note that I added a 5-second delay to these actions since Kodi tells me about this immediately when you're changing that setting (think about if you're increasing from 3 days to 14 days, I get 11 notifications there; the delay is to try and limit the response to one action).

Add new "Radio Channels" settings category and associated options to enable radio channel mapping
This is really cool (to me), and something I've wanted to do for some time, but it's also very 'niche' in nature and isn't likely to be something most users will care about. What this does is allow you to (manually) create and specify the location of a text file that lists channels you would prefer to see under "Radio" instead of "TV". Consider audio-only channels or channels like "MusicChoice" that you may have just disabled since Leia can't play them. Turning this on will switch any channels or channel ranges you specified over to "Radio". The secret sauce is the optional "Suppress video streams during playback" setting. While I can't guarantee this will work as intended for ALL cases yet, what this option does is screw with the incoming MPEG-TS stream to remove the video component(s) (technical version of that statement: I remove all video stream mappings from the PMT and replace all video elementary stream (ES) packets with NULL packets). Turning this ON is supposed to give you an audio-only experience; I've been using this for about 2 weeks here with "MusicChoice" channels and I found it to be good enough to send out :)

There are a couple (benign) side-effects to be expected in the Kodi log due to this, one of which has already been addressed for Kodi 19.1, and I haven't documented the other one for them yet, but overall I think it's mostly solid and would be happy to explain more about setting it up for anyone that cares. For Kodi Leia, this will be the only way that a MusicChoice channel can be played back successfully via this addon (both mapping it and enabling suppression of the video stream).

(Leia) Adjust reported Electronic Program Guide (EPG) original air values based on the system time zone
While I see no concerns with this change on Leia and it mirrors a long-standing similar change for Recordings; the original requestor did note an issue with missing EPG data from the "3.5.0~alphaX" builds that I was not able to replicate on any platform. I think the change is both logical and sensible, but I certainly don't want to break Leia's EPG. My request is to make sure if you're trying this on Leia that you don't suddenly experience a bunch of blank EPG channels.

Downloads (OneDrive): https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgEGEEVzGNq-jJhyX0T ... g?e=Zx6YOY
(Leia folder is "3.5.0~beta1", Matrix folder is "4.5.0~beta1")

ENJOY, and please let me know what I screwed up :)

ctviggen

Post by ctviggen »

Thanks for that information, that was incredibly helpful. I do not want to reinstall Kodi and (re)start from scratch, but it appears I may have to. The PVR and a few other things (the ability to play from youtube) I remember as being harder to initially set up. It seems that you've made this easier.

Anyway, I'll report back once I'm done. Thanks, again.

ctviggen

Post by ctviggen »

Well, that was much less hard than I thought it would be. And our recordings were still there, and had even been being recorded.

I thought there was an add-on that also showed channel numbers? That would be helpful.

Also, shouldn't "use channels from backend" be selected? I seem to remember selecting that last time.

And how often should I do a channel search?

Thanks for any input.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

ctviggen wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:54 pm Well, that was much less hard than I thought it would be. And our recordings were still there, and had even been being recorded.

I thought there was an add-on that also showed channel numbers? That would be helpful.

Also, shouldn't "use channels from backend" be selected? I seem to remember selecting that last time.

And how often should I do a channel search?

Thanks for any input.
In Matrix, you can get the right numbers via the addon or (and I recommend) from Kodi itself now. Go into Settings / PVR & Live TV. Make sure it's set to "Advanced" or "Expert" in the lower left corner. Turn on "Enable channel numbers from backend" under General. If you have multiple PVR addons installed, this wouldn't have worked under Leia, but will in Matrix. I believe a new setting will appear in that case indicating something like "use channel numbers from multiple addons". If you want the old way, where the addon did it and you'd see both Kodi's and the addon's channel numbers, that setting is in the addon's Interface settings area - "Prepend channel numbers to channel names". Either method works, it just depends on what you like better!

How often you do a channel search really depends on your cable provider, or local OTA channels. On FiOS, I do a search every month or so, or if a channel has stopped working. They seem to add/remove minor things pretty frequently. I think the OTA tuners may already do this in the background for you automatically now.

phild1

Post by phild1 »

Hello,

Thank you for creating and the continuous development of this wonderful add-in. The add-in has finally allowed me to retire Windows Media Center hopefully for the last time.

I have been updating my Kodi devices from Leia to Matrix. I noticed when using the PVR add-in with Matrix devices, I no longer see the Repeat Indicators appended to program names in the EPG “Guide” section. I do however, see the Repeat Indicators appended in the “Recordings” section. For the clients using Leia, I see the “Repeat Indicators” appended in both the Guide and the Recordings section.

I am using the latest released version of the add-in on both Leia (3.41) and Matrix (4.4.1). I noticed same behavior for Kodi Matrix installed on android devices (Nvidia Shield + Fire TV) and Windows 10 machine.

I am not sure if it is something on my side. Any advice on how to get the repeat indicator to show in the "Guide" for Matrix version would be appreciated. I do find the Repeat Indicators useful for setting ad-hoc recordings while surfing the Guide.

Thank you

djp952

Post by djp952 »

phild1 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:40 am Hello,

Thank you for creating and the continuous development of this wonderful add-in. The add-in has finally allowed me to retire Windows Media Center hopefully for the last time.

I have been updating my Kodi devices from Leia to Matrix. I noticed when using the PVR add-in with Matrix devices, I no longer see the Repeat Indicators appended to program names in the EPG “Guide” section. I do however, see the Repeat Indicators appended in the “Recordings” section. For the clients using Leia, I see the “Repeat Indicators” appended in both the Guide and the Recordings section.

I am using the latest released version of the add-in on both Leia (3.41) and Matrix (4.4.1). I noticed same behavior for Kodi Matrix installed on android devices (Nvidia Shield + Fire TV) and Windows 10 machine.

I am not sure if it is something on my side. Any advice on how to get the repeat indicator to show in the "Guide" for Matrix version would be appreciated. I do find the Repeat Indicators useful for setting ad-hoc recordings while surfing the Guide.

Thank you
Hmmm... Matrix made this obsolete for the EPG since there is a built-in "new" indicator now (a little asterisk/star in the grid), but I just looked and that's not working anymore. No idea when that happened! Will look into it ASAP and if it's on my end I'll get you a beta build to try it out.

Sorry!

edit: Yup, that disappeared from my side for some reason, will put back. It's been gone since at least last June!

phild1

Post by phild1 »

djp952 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:23 am
phild1 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:40 am Hello,

Thank you
Hmmm... Matrix made this obsolete for the EPG since there is a built-in "new" indicator now (a little asterisk/star in the grid), but I just looked and that's not working anymore. No idea when that happened! Will look into it ASAP and if it's on my end I'll get you a beta build to try it out.

Sorry!

edit: Yup, that disappeared from my side for some reason, will put back. It's been gone since at least last June!
Thank you for the quick response! I was not aware of the new functionality in Matrix indicating "New" shows with asterisk in the grid.

Also, thank you in advance for putting it back. Strange it has gone unnoticed for so long. I first noticed right after the update to HD Record Engine on 01-MAR-21 and initially thought issue was linked to that update.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Here you are, phild1:

Build 7743 - v4.5.0~beta2 (Matrix)
  • Fix bug that could cause unnecessary triggering of both channel and channel group updates
  • Fix race condition that could cause a "Database is locked" error to be logged during Kodi startup
  • Fix bug preventing Electronic Program Guide (EPG) data from updating when Kodi Guide 'Future days to display' setting has changed
  • Fix bug preventing timers and timer rules from updating when Kodi Guide 'Future days to display' setting has changed
  • Fix bug preventing Electronic Program Guide (EPG) entries from being flagged as 'New'
  • Add new "Radio Channels" settings category and associated options to enable radio channel mapping
Downloads (OneDrive):
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgEGEEVzGNq-jJkb6GQ ... Q?e=gNh7qE

Give this a try and see if it meets your needs with the "New" indicator functioning again. Note that you will want to do a Clear Data in PVR & Live TV / Settings / Guide after installation for them to appear. This will be a little blue asterisk (Assuming Estuary skin) in the EPG cell for the program, and "Program Info" should show a blue "NEW" up top. edit: Looks like there may be a bug in matrix with "Clear Data" that won't let the EPG scroll more than a couple/few hours into the future after this -- also please close and restart Kodi to resolve that. (Doesn't appear to be related to the addon).

If you would still prefer to have a way to turn back on the "[R]" indicator for EPG, let me know, it's not a difficult option to add at all. For Matrix, I'd keep it separate from the setting that places the "[R]" in the recordings.

Oh, if you haven't done a beta before, you do need to manually install it. However, if you are satisfied with it you don't have to uninstall it. Kodi treats versions with "~alpha" and "~beta" in the title as being older than ones without that, so when v4.5.0 gets sent out, it will still auto-update for you.

Please let me know what you think! I can't find anything wrong with v3.5.0/v4.5.0 and was thinking maybe sending them out in a day or two. I'm very glad you brought this to my attention, and everyone has my sincere apologies for never noticing it broke!

phild1

Post by phild1 »

djp952 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:46 pm Here you are, phild1:

Build 7743 - v4.5.0~beta2 (Matrix)
  • Fix bug preventing Electronic Program Guide (EPG) data from updating when Kodi Guide 'Future days to display' setting has changed
  • Fix bug preventing timers and timer rules from updating when Kodi Guide 'Future days to display' setting has changed
  • Fix bug preventing Electronic Program Guide (EPG) entries from being flagged as 'New'
Downloads (OneDrive):
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgEGEEVzGNq-jJkb6GQ ... Q?e=gNh7qE

Give this a try and see if it meets your needs with the "New" indicator functioning again. Note that you will want to do a Clear Data in PVR & Live TV / Settings / Guide after installation for them to appear. This will be a little blue asterisk (Assuming Estuary skin) in the EPG cell for the program, and "Program Info" should show a blue "NEW" up top. edit: Looks like there may be a bug in matrix with "Clear Data" that won't let the EPG scroll more than a couple/few hours into the future after this -- also please close and restart Kodi to resolve that. (Doesn't appear to be related to the addon).

If you would still prefer to have a way to turn back on the "[R]" indicator for EPG, let me know, it's not a difficult option to add at all. For Matrix, I'd keep it separate from the setting that places the "[R]" in the recordings.

Oh, if you haven't done a beta before, you do need to manually install it. However, if you are satisfied with it you don't have to uninstall it. Kodi treats versions with "~alpha" and "~beta" in the title as being older than ones without that, so when v4.5.0 gets sent out, it will still auto-update for you.

Please let me know what you think! I can't find anything wrong with v3.5.0/v4.5.0 and was thinking maybe sending them out in a day or two. I'm very glad you brought this to my attention, and everyone has my sincere apologies for never noticing it broke!
Thank you for the update! The asterisk functionality for new episodes working well from my side with the Kodi default skin (Estuary). I tested on android aarch64 and Windows 64 versions. However, I did notice the asterisks may not show with certain skins (e.g., Confluence & Aeon Nox).

djp952

Post by djp952 »

OK, I'll add an option to also show the "[R]" in the EPG again on Matrix to handle those cases. Not hard to do :)

phild1

Post by phild1 »

djp952 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:59 am OK, I'll add an option to also show the "[R]" in the EPG again on Matrix to handle those cases. Not hard to do :)
Thank you. I also checked out the "Radio Channels" feature. Very cool enhancement!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Hi everyone, this actually went live this afternoon, but I'm trying something new here to replace the typical long-winded detailed explanations of everything that changed with a link to a GitHub "discussions" entry that contains the detailed Release Notes. I don't think you need a GitHub account to view that, but you definitely need one to respond to it. If that doesn't work out, so be it, but I added detailed explanations for every change in here at the "Release Notes" link you will find below...

Build 7745 - v3.5.0 / v4.5.0 (2021.03.16)
  • Update SQLite database engine to version 3.35.1
  • (Leia) Adjust reported Electronic Program Guide (EPG) original air values based on the system time zone
  • (Matrix) Fix bug preventing Electronic Program Guide (EPG) entries from being flagged as new
  • (Matrix) Omit reporting of new indicator for programs of type News/Current Affairs unless a specific season/episode is specified
  • (Matrix) Rename "Append repeat indicators to applicable recording names" Interface option to "Append repeat indicators to Recorded TV episode names"
  • (Matrix) Add new "Append repeat indicators to EPG episode names" Interface option
Release Notes: Downloads: Only note I want to make here is that the new Radio Channels feature has a (kind of lame) wiki entry about it here: https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... s-to-Radio, and that the associated option to suppress the video stream(s) should be considered experimental; it's not going to work properly in all cases. Something I found out AFTER I published the release, of course :)

rdoac

Post by rdoac »

Trying an install for my sister in the UK, so only have limited access:

Ubuntu 20.04

2021-03-19 16:25:42.652 T:140531029447552 NOTICE: ADDON: kodi.binary.instance.pvr v7.1.0 installed
2021-03-19 16:25:42.653 T:140531029447552 NOTICE: ADDON: pvr.hdhomerundvr v4.5.0 installed

2021-03-19 16:25:42.680 T:140531029447552 ERROR: CBinaryAddonBase::LoadAddonXML: file '/home/rob/.kodi/addons/pvr.hdhomerundvr' doesn't contain a valid add-on type name (kodi.pvrclient)
2021-03-19 16:25:42.681 T:140531029447552 ERROR: CBinaryAddonManager::AddAddonBaseEntry: Failed to create base for 'pvr.hdhomerundvr' and addon not usable

The plugin says it's working. TV Option doesn't want to start.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

rdoac wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:30 am Trying an install for my sister in the UK, so only have limited access:

Ubuntu 20.04

2021-03-19 16:25:42.652 T:140531029447552 NOTICE: ADDON: kodi.binary.instance.pvr v7.1.0 installed
2021-03-19 16:25:42.653 T:140531029447552 NOTICE: ADDON: pvr.hdhomerundvr v4.5.0 installed

2021-03-19 16:25:42.680 T:140531029447552 ERROR: CBinaryAddonBase::LoadAddonXML: file '/home/rob/.kodi/addons/pvr.hdhomerundvr' doesn't contain a valid add-on type name (kodi.pvrclient)
2021-03-19 16:25:42.681 T:140531029447552 ERROR: CBinaryAddonManager::AddAddonBaseEntry: Failed to create base for 'pvr.hdhomerundvr' and addon not usable

The plugin says it's working. TV Option doesn't want to start.
Seems like you may be trying to use the Matrix version of the addon on Leia? In Leia the name 'kodi.pvrclient' was 'xbmc.pvrclient' so it won't recognize the new name. You probably just need to download and install the v3.5.0 Leia addon for the platform (assuming Linux x86_64 for Ubuntu): https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... eia-(18.x)