Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

timecutter

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by timecutter »

For clarification:

I mean my guide is completely blank except for one channel using the build you made for me. The channels show up however they aren't populated with any data. I pulled epg12.db and looked at the data. epg table shows all of the channels and epgtags only has guide info for one channel in it. The kodi notification for retrieving guide data was very fast.

revert back to 3.4.1 and the other channels populated. The notification was back to normal length and epg12.db had data for all of the channels in epgtags.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

That's ... odd; glad I tagged it as "alpha"! I'll have a look; I didn't see that behavior here. Must have put a semicolon in the wrong place or something :mrgreen:

edit: Yeah, that's not happening here at all. Investigating.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:43 am
Ken.F wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:11 am Is this your pvr.rtlradio?
Good gravy Batman, have you never seen Ghostbusters? One does not simply cross the streams!
Lol. I was hoping that's what you were talking about since I already have a RTL-SDR. I listened to the radio in WMC a lot since my my brand-X PCIe TV tuner card also has a FM radio tuner. I have the MusicChoice channels on my Primes so I'll check it out once it's documented.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Ken.F wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:43 am
djp952 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:43 am
Ken.F wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:11 am Is this your pvr.rtlradio?
Good gravy Batman, have you never seen Ghostbusters? One does not simply cross the streams!
Lol. I was hoping that's what you were talking about since I already have a RTL-SDR. I listened to the radio in WMC a lot since my my brand-X PCIe TV tuner card also has a FM radio tuner. I have the MusicChoice channels on my Primes so I'll check it out once it's documented.
The RTL radio PVR actually already works; on Matrix it's missing a dialog box to add channels via Kodi, though. There are a handful of missing features and documentation, but the core functionality is all there. I was hoping to finish that up to a "1.0" this weekend, will notify you via PM :) I've stopped bothering on Leia at this point for it since it can never work properly due to an RDS bug that Kodi opted not to backport for 18.9.

timecutter

Post by timecutter »

enabled debugging to see what is going on, found this:
021-02-27 12:24:27.980 T:3239953216 DEBUG: Load: No database entries found for table 'ABC'.
2021-02-27 12:24:27.980 T:3239953216 DEBUG: UpdateFromScraper: Updating EPG for channel 'ABC' from client 'xxxx'
2021-02-27 12:24:27.984 T:3239953216 DEBUG: Load: No database entries found for table 'PBS'.
2021-02-27 12:24:27.984 T:3239953216 DEBUG: UpdateFromScraper: Updating EPG for channel 'PBS' from client 'xxxx'
2021-02-27 12:24:27.988 T:3239953216 DEBUG: Load: No database entries found for table 'CBS'.
2021-02-27 12:24:27.989 T:3239953216 DEBUG: UpdateFromScraper: Updating EPG for channel 'CBS' from client 'xxxx'

I've tried clearing pvr data, guide data, changed the preferred channel name format all with the same result. the only guide that I have is newsmax.

very very odd.....

djp952

Post by djp952 »

All good. What platform are you running on? I tried Windows and Linux, my thinking is that the Posix API isn't behaving on your system. I swapped back to the method I used before with recording original air dates and am building an Alpha 2 for you now. I was trying to avoid computing this for every EPG tag, but it's not really "expensive" to do regardless.

If trying again I'd be as bold as to just delete Epg12.db as well before trying. Clear Data technically wipes this out too, but just in case whatever went wrong is THAT bad.

Fingers crossed; this method has worked for quite some time with recordings.

Will post back after it builds and I try it out on Linux.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Here you go timecutter, see if this works any better:

3.5.0~alpha2 (Leia Only)
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgEGEEVzGNq-jJhdCFI ... A?e=yto3ja

As mentioned, this does the same thing for EPG original air date but with a different method. Hopefully it won't trash the EPG database :) I do recommend deleting Epg12.db and restarting if it does still go wonky. Tested on Windows and ARMHF Linux, no problems noted.

obliojoe

Post by obliojoe »

I'm asking this here even though I suspect my issue is not caused by this DVR plugin. I'm just wondering if anyone here has seen a similar issue.

I've use this plugin on 6 or 7 devices and have been running great for years. It's amazing! I just upgraded my clients to Matrix and everything seems to work as expected except for playing recordings. All of my recordings, including shows recorded before the upgrade and new ones recorded since, are completely glitched out when they play now (garbled video and audio). This is happening when I watch the recordings on Kodi from both my Shield TV devices and on my Windows machine. If I open the video files directly from the DVR folder using MPC or VLC, they play perfectly.

Any thoughts on what might cause this?

Thanks!
John

obliojoe

Post by obliojoe »

Sorry.... I just tried using the official HDHomeRun app and I'm seeing the same thing there. So this definitely has nothing to do with the DVR plugin or Kodi. I suspect it is the recent HDHomerun firmware I just installed today. I found another forum post indicating I am not alone.

viewtopic.php?f=119&t=75077&p=370828#p370828

John

djp952

Post by djp952 »

No worries! I hope the issue gets resolved! I haven't seen any problems with the latest firmware/DVR engine here, but if there is anything you think I can do to help, let me know!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

timecutter, I was wondering if you had a chance to retest the EPG original air date change in "alpha 2" (a couple posts above)? It's no worry at all if not, I'll probably end up just making this an option just in case since I was unable to reproduce the concern on any platforms. I'd hate to do something that only applies to customized Leia skins and end up trashing everyone else :)

For all you lurkers (you know who you are - LOL), I got the special sauce I was hoping for to seemingly work for the proposed new "map these channels to Radio" feature I've been working on. While it will be OPTIONAL, I can seemingly now successfully nuke the video stream(s). The idea is that if you map a channel over to Radio, you will also have the option to suppress/remove the video component making it truly "Radio" in nature. It's actually a bit weird when you use this on a legit TV channel, but for channels like Music Choice I am finding the experience pleasant. I'm sure there is a gotcha or two I haven't worked out yet, but I think this is pretty cool!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Quick update on what I've been looking at for this project ...

The next version (3.5.0/4.5.0) with the "Radio Channels" setup that will allow you to (optionally/manually) move channels from TV to Radio AND remove the video stream if you want looks really good. It has a couple benign side-effects that I feel need to be addressed in Kodi, but it really works! I have also found no issues on any platform with timecutter's requested change to the EPG tag "original air date" modification for Leia, but I do want to confirm that with him before making it formal; I do not want to break any Leia users. When the "Radio Channels" feature goes live it will require a wiki page to document how it works and what these side-effects happen to be, but overall I am extremely happy with it :)

I've also been looking at a handful of Kodi issues I've found to see what I can do about them. Note that all Kodi changes must target Matrix at this point; Leia is done.
  • EPG "overlapped event" warning messages in the Kodi log -- PR for Matrix 19.1 has been accepted to change this to a DEBUG level event since Kodi seems to handle these 100% correctly at all times.
  • Triggering a channel group change causes all Channel Groups to appear even if empty (HEVC Channels/Demo Channels/etc) in EPG -- PR is open but not approved. I see the PVR maintainer has issued a set of changes that may supersede this. Whatever works, right?
  • "No EPG scraper defined for table ''" error messages in Kodi log when channels have changed -- I know what causes this but have not issued a PR yet.
  • (Windows) Kodi Matrix locks up on exit -- haven't looked into it, but it definitely happens.
  • Audio-only streams start with a "wow" effect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wow_(recording)) and eventually level out -- this seems to be a problem for any PVR stream that does not contain a video component and will affect this addon's "Radio Channels" feature. No idea what's going on there but it's definitely systemic and related to Kodi being video-centric. I don't expect to ever have a proposed "fix" for this, but I'd like to open an Issue for them once I learn enough about it to get them close.
  • (Windows?) "timeout waiting for configure" errors causing a very long (4-5 second) pause when starting playback after system has been idle or rebooted. I've been looking at this for MONTHS and finally found the root cause -- if you have a visualization installed that is slow to load the first time (milkdrop2 here!), Kodi will get hung up on that, time out, and eventually recover. It's obvious (now) that the visualization addon is at fault, but I speculate that something can be done to combat this in Kodi itself. Not quite ready to open an Issue on this one, I'd like to understand why Milkdrop2 takes up to 4 seconds to initialize on Windows platforms the first time it's loaded and if it affects other platforms. Seriously, I've been trying to figure this out for so long I'm pretty thrilled to have merely found the "root cause" :)
That's about it for now! I hope the current version of the addon is working well for you, and if it isn't please let me know!!

ddejager

Post by ddejager »

I'm running the HDhomeRun DVR PVR client under Android TV on a Sony BRAVIA VH1 4K TV with all the latest updates installed. I'm using KODI Matrix 19.0 and HDHomeRun DVR PVR client 4.4.1. I have a VIZIO sound bar connected to the TV using eARC. I have the SD recorder on my NAS.

All apps on this TV appear to work properly for sound but for one problem with the HDHomeRun DVR PVR client. When watching a recorded (or live) show if I pause/resume a show, or if I skip forward or skip back, there is an audio hiccup about 1 second long, usually two, and sometimes (but not usually) the audio will not resume until I skip or pause/resume another time. I've tried changing every combination of settings in the TV and KODI without any success. I observe that if I use the HDHomeRun app, this problem never occurs, nor does it happen when watching netflix, youtube or vimeo using their apps on the TV...so this is somehow tied to KODI and the PVR Client. This problem also existed in the prior version of KODI. Actually it was much worse as it often would not recover unless I stopped playing the show and then started it again.

The problem is less severe if I use the built in speakers of the TV (it is almost un noticeable) instead of the sound bar...it seems to have something to do with KODI renegotiating the audio link to the sound bar every time there is a pause/resume or skip.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

I'd try to approach this with Kodi, perhaps on their forum first, but you could also open an Issue for them to look at it. You're likely correct in that it's renegotiating the audio connection. If you enable debug logging and add "Component specific logging" for Audio, Video, and maybe audio/video timing, that's probably what they need for an Issue to be opened. I wouldn't add ffmpeg specific logging, that gets out of control and isn't likely relevant. It would be good to mention it happens for both Live ("Realtime") and Recorded streams, and if you can pull an .MPG off your RECORD and duplicate it via playback from the Videos library that helps to point out it's not a PVR specific complaint.

There may be something you can do in the Kodi advancedsettings.xml as well, but this one is beyond my knowledge of the system.

I have no set up with anything like ARC, so all I can directly offer is moral support :(

ctviggen

Post by ctviggen »

Well, my Kodi has developed some type of bug (version 19, just started using it a week ago or so) where it crashes upon opening. I get maybe a minute or so, then it crashes. (Tried many things so far: new drivers, uninstall, reinstall, etc.; no dice.)

So, I may be performing a complete reinstall, including this PVR, of Kodi. Gah! (Stupid me -- should have backed up the drive.)

Anyway, do I just start at post 1 here, or do I have to review all the posts before I reinstall?