Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by djp952 »

toricred6 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:24 am I'm trying to bring in the recordings into Kodi. I'm using Ember Media Manager to do the renaming and scraping. My main concern is that the naming that HDHomerun does for the files doesn't seem to have enough information to get Ember the information it needs.
Understood. This addon can't really help you with that, it doesn't control how the files are named or the metadata in the files generated by HDHomeRun DVR. The files are actually .TS files, as you seem to know, and the metadata is stored as the payload of the first 64 MPEG-TS packets in the file. Unless Ember (Emby?) has a way to work with that you're not going to get what you want from just the files themselves. Once extracted, the data itself is just a JSON document, but extracting it is the fun part.

I think you'd need a separate application to rename the files the way you want based on that metadata, outside of the HDHomeRun DVR world.

toricred6

Post by toricred6 »

OK, I didn't realize they were actually .ts files, but that makes sense. Any idea why they're getting the .mpg extension?

djp952

Post by djp952 »

toricred6 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:24 pm OK, I didn't realize they were actually .ts files, but that makes sense. Any idea why they're getting the .mpg extension?
It's just what SiliconDust decided. There is a thread in the Dev area indicating that they are considering changing them to the .TS file extension in the future.

May I ask what your end goal is? If you are recording programs with the HDHomeRun DVR, is there is a reason you can't (or don't want to) use something like this addon, or the HDHomeRun App, to view/manage the recordings? If Kodi is your desired interface and you want to use this addon, there shouldn't be any explicit need to toy around with the files. Both the HDHomeRun App and this addon do everything, including playback, via the HDHomeRun DVR engine.

I'm just wondering what there is within my power that I can do to help you out.

toricred6

Post by toricred6 »

I am using your plugin. The problem first appeared to me on Matrix Alpha 3 so I tried Leia. Then I saw I was having similar problems there. The scrapers inside of Kodi don't seem to want to pick up the episodes recorded in the HDHomerun app for some reason. I have Ember working for now, but I'm not sure it's sustainable.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

toricred6 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:51 pm I am using your plugin. The problem first appeared to me on Matrix Alpha 3 so I tried Leia. Then I saw I was having similar problems there. The scrapers inside of Kodi don't seem to want to pick up the episodes recorded in the HDHomerun app for some reason. I have Ember working for now, but I'm not sure it's sustainable.
If you're using the addon, your recordings show up in TV / Recordings, you don't need to set up a scraper in Videos for them. Are you not seeing them here?

Is everything else working, Live TV, Guide, etc?

toricred6

Post by toricred6 »

I see them there, but I've always used the libraries so that's what I expected to use.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

toricred6 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:04 pm I see them there, but I've always used the libraries so that's what I expected to use.
Fantastic! With Kodi everything involves a learning curve, I wouldn't put much thought into it beyond saying "Kodi is Kodi, what can you do?". While I hope that you are good to go now and have a good experience with the addon, please don't hesitate to reach out if that becomes inaccurate. The only dumb questions are questions that are never asked -- we are all here to help and try and get your HDHomeRun experience as simple as streamlined as possible, my friend!

toricred6

Post by toricred6 »

Is there a way to get Fanart in any of the skins for Recordings? That's the real problem I'm having with Recordings. It could be either Leia or Matrix.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Kodi supports fanart for recordings, but unless there is a URL I can provide to it, no. The HDHomeRun backend only supplies the image you see. If there was a site out there that happened to use the same Series identifiers that HDHomeRun does (possible, I think these come from Gracenote) I could potentially add something for that.

In almost 4 years, this is the very first time anyone has even brought this up :) I had to go look to see if it's even supported for PVRs (it is!)

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Question for the folks subscribed to this thread .. is anyone using the "linux-armel" variant of the PVR addon on an ARMv5 device?

While working on something else I noticed that ARMv5 is the default target device level for the linux-armel variant; I had assumed up until this point that it was actually ARMv7 like the linux-armhf and Android "ARM" variants. This helps explain why I needed the "raspbian-armhf" variant to begin with -- I had incorrectly assumed that linux-armel was set too high compatibility-wise, it was actually set too low. Raspbian expected ARMv6!

I'd like to bump "linux-armel" to target ARMv6 by default moving forward, but I also don't want to break anyone - at least on Leia -- I think this is inevitable for Matrix. How do you know what you have? You pretty much have to look up your device somewhere and see what ARM implementation it uses. I'll put it this way -- even the Raspberry Pi model 1 is ARMv6, I'm thinking there is little to no chance anyone here is on an ARMv5 chipset, those devices are unlikely to be providing a functional Kodi environment in 2020.

For what it's worth, here are the target device levels for the "linux" ARM variants:

linux-armel - ARMv5t (proposed change to ARMv6)
linux-armhf - ARMv7a
linux-aarch64 - ARMv8a

If anyone has an opinion on this or knows that changing it will break your setup, please let me know. I really don't want to mess anyone up.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:25 pm If anyone has an opinion on this or knows that changing it will break your setup, please let me know. I really don't want to mess anyone up.
I think it's safe to drop ARMv5. The Cortex line started with ARMv6 in 2004. I doubt any ARM device older than that would be able to run Kodi.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/List_of_ARM ... hitectures

SageMyth

Post by SageMyth »

I just started using this Kodi add-on and I wanted to say how much I like it.
I have installed it on a Nvidia Shield TV Pro and a Raspberry Pi 4 running LibreElec

I like ..
.. works in Kodi and therefore works on any device that supports Kodi
.. provides a channel guide in grid-table format
.. fast forward instead of jump forward
.. allows aspect ratio change
.. works when the internet is down

We have been watching a lot of old OTA programs so the aspect ratio often needs fixing.
And the guide is great!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

SageMyth wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:23 pm I just started using this Kodi add-on and I wanted to say how much I like it.
I have installed it on a Nvidia Shield TV Pro and a Raspberry Pi 4 running LibreElec

I like ..
.. works in Kodi and therefore works on any device that supports Kodi
.. provides a channel guide in grid-table format
.. fast forward instead of jump forward
.. allows aspect ratio change
.. works when the internet is down

We have been watching a lot of old OTA programs so the aspect ratio often needs fixing.
And the guide is great!
Very happy that you find it valuable! I might convert this post into a T-Shirt :)

Thanks for using it, and don't hesitate to reach out if you run into any problems, OK?

djp952

Post by djp952 »

For anyone waiting for a functional Universal Windows (UWP) build on Matrix, there has been some movement there. A week or so ago Kodi got the builds working again for both x64 and ARM Universal Windows, and I added them back to my build process. The problem is that these applications are currently non-function due to compatibility problems with Python 3. They will open, but crash fairly quickly. Due to them not actually working, even though I am building them I will not be distributing them until/unless they work.

I spent some time working through how to fix Python 3 for UWP and was able to get it far enough to at least get Kodi to load, and I've passed on what I've learned to Kodi via an Issue report. To be clear, the problems (so far) are with Python, not Kodi, and I believe Kodi would need to be willing to patch Python 3 as part of their process to move things forward. My proposed Python patch does not solve every problem, just the first one.

It's a start, right? It seems that XBox Series X/S still uses UWP, so I would certainly like to be able to give you guys (and XBox One peeps!) a path forward from Leia into Matrix for this project when the time comes.

toricred6

Post by toricred6 »

I'm using this add-on with Matrix Beta 1 and I've noticed a problem, but I'm not sure if it's the add-on, Kodi, or a permissions issue. I like to change the channel order so all the networks are at the top of the guide and this works great, but every time I exit Kodi and restart it the channels revert to their original order. I have checked and it's not the use backend order since that stays disabled. Where is this setting held so I can make sure the user running the application has permissions? I am running as an administrator, but that might not be enough.