Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by djp952 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:13 pm

Hmmm not really. Just the expected "Stream Stalled" errors. That happens when Kodi isn't receiving data fast enough and eventually will timeout.

Being TCP there is likely a lot of retries happening here. My suggestion at this point is to ask SiliconDust to help review the tuner debug logs. If you post the Device IDs for them in the support forum and enable debugging they may be able to tell why the tuner can't keep up.

Is the router 100Base-T or 1000Base-T (Gigabit)? Might even be worth trying different ports on said router.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:29 pm

You might try a different ethernet dongle... over half of the "official" ones I bought from amazon for the sticks never outperformed wifi and i was in an area where wifi was terrible so I abandoned fireTV (it also helped with the decision in that they don't support drm)

jhford

Post by jhford » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:47 pm

djp952 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:05 pm
jhford wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:14 pm
EDIT: Although the recordings have made their appearance, they are now nested under under an individual recording folder, so to speak, rather than being on the root of the apps recording folder structure. And I don't know how to move them up (or down?) one folder level so they are in the correct position. Thanks again for your help.
This is actually normal. Each series will have its own folder under Recordings. I think before you may have been using the Video Library mapped to the place where the Recordings are?

You can't manipulate where the recordings will show up, it's all based on the metadata provided by the RECORD engine. The exception is a new option that lets you ignore the special folders - "Movies", "News", "Specials", and "Sporting Events". Normal everyday TV shows will always be in folders that match the series name.
Where do I find that new option?

ddejager

Post by ddejager » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:19 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. The problem occurs with either Wi-Fi or Ethernet. I used the Ethernet dongle to confirm that Wi-Fi was not the problem. I will look deeper into possible network errors between the tuner and the router. The router is a Mikrotik Gigabit router that shows no errors on the ethernet ports. The HdHomeRun Prime 3 is connected directly to the router, but there is 100 Mbit switch between the router and TV, so I will take that out temporarily and test again. I'll also try a different dongle. Perhaps the tuner simply has a problem....Anyway I'm glad that the UDP option solves [masks] the problem.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:47 pm

jhford wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:47 pm
djp952 wrote:
jhford wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:14 pm
EDIT: Although the recordings have made their appearance, they are now nested under under an individual recording folder, so to speak, rather than being on the root of the apps recording folder structure. And I don't know how to move them up (or down?) one folder level so they are in the correct position. Thanks again for your help.
This is actually normal. Each series will have its own folder under Recordings. I think before you may have been using the Video Library mapped to the place where the Recordings are?

You can't manipulate where the recordings will show up, it's all based on the metadata provided by the RECORD engine. The exception is a new option that lets you ignore the special folders - "Movies", "News", "Specials", and "Sporting Events". Normal everyday TV shows will always be in folders that match the series name.
My bad, that option is only in the latest beta release (2.2.1~beta2), which for Leia you can get here if you want: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgEGEEVzGNq-i_tulH5bf5tkXXG9Yg (General / "Disable specialized Recorded TV category folders"). I don't think this will do what you want, though. I get the impression you want one big flat view of all the Recordings without any folders? That can be done if you really want it, but I think you may find it less than useful once you have more than a handful of recordings available. I can't imagine trying to sift through almost a thousand recordings (true, I have that many, mostly the kid stuff that we seem to need to keep forever)

djp952

Post by djp952 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:55 pm

ddejager wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:19 pm
Thanks for the thoughts. The problem occurs with either Wi-Fi or Ethernet. I used the Ethernet dongle to confirm that Wi-Fi was not the problem. I will look deeper into possible network errors between the tuner and the router. The router is a Mikrotik Gigabit router that shows no errors on the ethernet ports. The HdHomeRun Prime 3 is connected directly to the router, but there is 100 Mbit switch between the router and TV, so I will take that out temporarily and test again. I'll also try a different dongle. Perhaps the tuner simply has a problem....Anyway I'm glad that the UDP option solves [masks] the problem.
Removing the 100Base-T switch temporarily is definitely a good idea. I found a long time ago that my needs were better met by having a single switch that everything connects to, I've eliminated all other switches. In my opinion, a good consumer grade Gigabit switch with lots of ports (8 or more) will have a nice fast backplane inside and be able to deal with a home network better than daisy-chaining things across multiple switches, especially if they aren't the same speed.

FWIW, I use a 16-port GigE switch that everything hard-wired in the house connects to, including my router and Wifi AP. The router is an actual router (Ubiquiti EdgeMax), it just sits between my network and the Internet (FiOS), but I also use for it for the typical services like DHCP. I also set up a second subnet on it that's completely isolated from my primary home subnet and use that for my wife's work-from-home network, which needs to be HIPAA compliant.

ddejager

Post by ddejager » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:35 pm

I do the same in my house for my network (commercial grade Mikrotik gigabit switch/router with 24 ports), but this is not my setup. I will test without the switch and let you know what I find, next time I visit my friend.

jhford

Post by jhford » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:32 pm

djp952 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:47 pm
jhford wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:47 pm
djp952 wrote:

My bad, that option is only in the latest beta release (2.2.1~beta2), which for Leia you can get here if you want: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgEGEEVzGNq-i_tulH5bf5tkXXG9Yg (General / "Disable specialized Recorded TV category folders"). I don't think this will do what you want, though. I get the impression you want one big flat view of all the Recordings without any folders? That can be done if you really want it, but I think you may find it less than useful once you have more than a handful of recordings available. I can't imagine trying to sift through almost a thousand recordings (true, I have that many, mostly the kid stuff that we seem to need to keep forever)
No. I was perfectly satisfied with the previous organization of folders bearing show name titles, such as "Masterpiece Theater," which contained all the Masterpiece Theater episodes. However, you added a new folder named "news" (lower case) and it doesn't contain sub-folders bearing show name titles, contrary to the previous organization scheme, which was the correct way to do it IMHO. Rather, it contains all the individual "news" shows listed individually including all duplicates, thereof. I think you should have left well enough alone.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:13 pm

I didn't add the News folder, the DVR data did. All the metadata comes from the DVR. The new option will get rid of the special folders completely.

jhford

Post by jhford » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:21 pm

djp952 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:13 pm
I didn't add the News folder, the DVR data did. All the metadata comes from the DVR. The new option will get rid of the special folders completely.
But it doesn't work for Krypton, right?

djp952

Post by djp952 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:12 pm

jhford wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:21 pm
djp952 wrote:
It will be in Krypton. I can go ahead and build 2.2.1 if you want. The next things will take some time. I have nothing small queued up, it's not a problem.

Actually I'll just go ahead and cut 2.2.1 tonight for ya. Krypton included!

djp952

Post by djp952 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:19 pm

Not building a release for Jarvis was a bit weird, but it got me thinking ... if Kodi is still around in 2027 the codename has to be "Ultron", right?

Version 2.2.1 (2019.08.02)
  • Add Recorded TV category mapping for "News"
  • Report available DVR drive space to Kodi when available from detected RECORD engines
  • Add "Disable specialized Recorded TV category folders" setting
  • Use more verbose channel group names -- "High Definition channels" vs. "HD Channels", for example
  • Use a scheduled task to re-enable EPG data requests after a grace period of 10 minutes has expired
Downloads: Nothing specific to expound upon in great detail on this one, this is a minor release to catch everyone up with the implemented user requests since 2.2.0 along with a couple small normal maintenance changes. The next version, 2.3.0, should have some more notable (and trouble-making) changes in it. You can look at the current backlog in post #3 of this thread if you are interested on what I'm intended to screw around with next :)

Auto-update packages for Leia have been pushed out, but it may take your Kodi a day or two to go check for it and update on its own.

Have a wonderful weekend, all!

jhford

Post by jhford » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:56 pm

djp952 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:12 pm
jhford wrote:
djp952 wrote:
It will be in Krypton. I can go ahead and build 2.2.1 if you want. The next things will take some time. I have nothing small queued up, it's not a problem.

I probably didn't make myself clear. The previous structure allowed the user to right click one of many news folders, such as Jake Tapper (CNN), select delete and delete all Jake Tapper episodes in one shot-- very convenient and a huge time saver. I bragged to my wife that your organization was brilliant even though she has no time or interest in Kodi. :roll: Now, however, the user must open the "news' folder and delete selected episodes which are organized by date, it seems, rather than alpha -- very inconvenient and a huge time waster.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:44 pm

jhford wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:56 pm
djp952 wrote:
jhford wrote:

I probably didn't make myself clear. The previous structure allowed the user to right click one of many news folders, such as Jake Tapper (CNN), select delete and delete all Jake Tapper episodes in one shot-- very convenient and a huge time saver. I bragged to my wife that your organization was brilliant even though she has no time or interest in Kodi. :roll: Now, however, the user must open the "news' folder and delete selected episodes which are organized by date, it seems, rather than alpha -- very inconvenient and a huge time waster.
Once again, you are barking up the wrong tree. I didn't add the "News" folder, SiliconDust or perhaps the EPG data provider did. All I did was make it so it wouldn't say "news" in lowercase and instead say "News". Install the new v2.2.1, set "Disable specialized Recorded TV category folders" in the options, and all recordings will appear as if they were reported as "series" which will let you right-click and delete all of them at once like you prefer. I like that option in Kodi as well.

The organization/sort order you see is determined by Kodi, you have to pop open the menu to the left and select the order you want for each individual Recorded TV folder. If you want it sorted by date or alphanumeric is something that is completely up to you to decide. If that setting doesn't stick, it's something that Kodi needs to fix. I do not specify any ordering at all when reporting Recordings, I just give Kodi the list and it does what it does with them.

I apologize if I come off as a little frustrated right now, but frankly I am. I do what I can with what I'm given here and bust my a** to make everyone happy. I have zero control over the data coming into the PVR, all I can do is try to present it to you in a way that is as consistent and useful as possible from both the SiliconDust HDHomeRun DVR service and Kodi perspectives. If SD added a "news" category to their recordings I have to assume this was intentional on their part and they will at some point add a "News" filter in their application. I could of course ignore "news" and pretend it's "series" whilst leaving "movies", "specials" and "sports" alone but there may be people out there that actually want to see "news". FWIW SD's app doesn't handle "specials" either (you can only find them in the "All Recordings" area; try it) -- does that mean I should arbitrarily convert that category to "series" too? What about new categories that magically pop up that would benefit most folks but a few don't like it? If SD releases an application update that adds "News" and "Specials" does that mean I need to undo the hypothetical changes?

I'm clearly very perturbed at this point so I need to stop typing. I spent hours prepping and cutting a build specifically for you, I would have hoped that you would have tried it and see if the new option addressed your complaint, which I think it will. If it does not, let me know, but saying that things I have absolutely no control over are "inconvenient and a time waster" is just going to make me upset again. I bend over backwards to keep this thing working and try come up with ways to do everything everyone asks for, so, yeah, definitely perturbed.

I'm taking the weekend off. I'll check back on Monday or Tuesday night. Until then please see if v2.2.1 does what you want it to do.

jhford

Post by jhford » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:41 am

djp952 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:44 pm
jhford wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:56 pm
djp952 wrote:

Once again, you are barking up the wrong tree. I didn't add the "News" folder, SiliconDust or perhaps the EPG data provider did. All I did was make it so it wouldn't say "news" in lowercase and instead say "News". Install the new v2.2.1, set "Disable specialized Recorded TV category folders" in the options, and all recordings will appear as if they were reported as "series" which will let you right-click and delete all of them at once like you prefer. I like that option in Kodi as well.

The organization/sort order you see is determined by Kodi, you have to pop open the menu to the left and select the order you want for each individual Recorded TV folder. If you want it sorted by date or alphanumeric is something that is completely up to you to decide. If that setting doesn't stick, it's something that Kodi needs to fix. I do not specify any ordering at all when reporting Recordings, I just give Kodi the list and it does what it does with them.

I apologize if I come off as a little frustrated right now, but frankly I am. I do what I can with what I'm given here and bust my a** to make everyone happy. I have zero control over the data coming into the PVR, all I can do is try to present it to you in a way that is as consistent and useful as possible from both the SiliconDust HDHomeRun DVR service and Kodi perspectives. If SD added a "news" category to their recordings I have to assume this was intentional on their part and they will at some point add a "News" filter in their application. I could of course ignore "news" and pretend it's "series" whilst leaving "movies", "specials" and "sports" alone but there may be people out there that actually want to see "news". FWIW SD's app doesn't handle "specials" either (you can only find them in the "All Recordings" area; try it) -- does that mean I should arbitrarily convert that category to "series" too? What about new categories that magically pop up that would benefit most folks but a few don't like it? If SD releases an application update that adds "News" and "Specials" does that mean I need to undo the hypothetical changes?

I'm clearly very perturbed at this point so I need to stop typing. I spent hours prepping and cutting a build specifically for you, I would have hoped that you would have tried it and see if the new option addressed your complaint, which I think it will. If it does not, let me know, but saying that things I have absolutely no control over are "inconvenient and a time waster" is just going to make me upset again. I bend over backwards to keep this thing working and try come up with ways to do everything everyone asks for, so, yeah, definitely perturbed.

I'm taking the weekend off. I'll check back on Monday or Tuesday night. Until then please see if v2.2.1 does what you want it to do.
My sincere apologies. I certainly didn't mean to be critical or piss you off. I was just trying to add some helpful feedback, and apparently failed. Worse yet I forgot that you did previously say that the "news" folder was added by Siliconedust, and I probably would have kept my mouth shut if I had remembered that significant detail. And I do appreciate what you do, and I'm sure you do bust your a**. Thanks for 2.2.1. I'll install it today.
Again, I'm sorry.