Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

usafle

Re: Issue with OSMC and Unofficial Kodi PVR Client

Post by usafle » Wed May 22, 2019 7:59 pm

johnny_swindle wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:19 pm
OK....a few questions.

- Which version of Krypton did you upgrade from?
- To which version of Keia did you upgrade to?
- Did you manually upgrade the DVR/PVR add-on or did it auto update?
I don't know the exact version numbers but it was the last version of Krypton and the first version of Leia that they finally pushed out. I was checking the upgrade manually for a month or so waiting for OSMC to "Catch up" to the Leai build. So, whichever version they first pushed out is what I upgraded to.

Yes, I manually downloaded and installed the ARMHF build of this Plug-in after I upgraded to Leia.

johnny_swindle

Post by johnny_swindle » Thu May 23, 2019 5:31 pm

Thank you so much for your help.

I have Kodi 17.6 and the DVR/PVR client working. Now that I have a working baseline again, I can let OSMC update to 18.1 and update the plugin and see what happens.

Again....light at the end of the tunnel.

Johnny
usafle wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:59 pm
johnny_swindle wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:19 pm
OK....a few questions.

- Which version of Krypton did you upgrade from?
- To which version of Keia did you upgrade to?
- Did you manually upgrade the DVR/PVR add-on or did it auto update?
I don't know the exact version numbers but it was the last version of Krypton and the first version of Leia that they finally pushed out. I was checking the upgrade manually for a month or so waiting for OSMC to "Catch up" to the Leai build. So, whichever version they first pushed out is what I upgraded to.

Yes, I manually downloaded and installed the ARMHF build of this Plug-in after I upgraded to Leia.

usafle

Post by usafle » Thu May 23, 2019 6:06 pm

johnny_swindle wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:31 pm

I have Kodi 17.6 and the DVR/PVR client working. Now that I have a working baseline again, I can let OSMC update to 18.1 and update the plugin and see what happens.

Johnny
Glad I could help. Just an FYI, my OSMC box pushed out an update today.

RoyBrander

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by RoyBrander » Fri May 24, 2019 10:55 am

*** PROBLEM SOLVED, SKIP TO BOTTOM ****

Many thanks for this add-on. I have a Win 7 laptop running my TV, so the regular HDHomeRun client didn't work, and to the frustration of Silicon Dust staff, neither did the HDHomeRun Add-On for Kodi; just refused to find the schedule or do DVR.

Finally, they had me try this client, and great success! Many thanks for it, be glad to help support the project.

I do have the one bug to report. The other clients, on Win 10, Mac, Linux, all find all six channels that I receive, in the schedule. This client is just not finding one of the six (17.1), so I have to set up recordings on other clients. I can still watch it.

If I turn schedule on, it uses the schedule of another channel, 2.1. If you hit RECORD on LiveTV, it starts recording that other channel! So I turned schedule off for that channel and it won't record it at all, though other clients can set recordings up.

To be clear, this client CAN set up recordings fine on the 5 channels that it does get guide information for.

If this is the right place to report, that's about what I can tell you. I'm not sure how to put images in here, but I uploaded my channel scan for Vancouver to this URL:

http://brander.ca/hdchannels.png

..and it is the first one, 17.1, CTV-2, guide name CIVI-2, that is not found. And it is 2.1, CBC, guide name CBUT-DT, that it confuses it with if you try to get a guide for it.

This is not a showstopper, so I'm going to be a loyal customer. If I can help with bug reports further, just let me know.

*** PROBLEM SOLVED ****
I was fiddling with setting on the HDHomeRun config app - try "default" instead of "Windows Media Centre", etc. I changed a few things at once, like a really bad experimenter does. It was almost certainly the last thing I did: I did a CLEAR DATA on the channel guide and all other settings.

The problem vanished the missing channel is now coming in with Guide information, recording on it works, etc.

So: sorry to bother you. But I'll leave the post up, for FYI.

I think the lesson to learn from it, is if you're having trouble with the guide, always do a CLEAR DATA and let it start from scratch after changing settings.
Last edited by RoyBrander on Fri May 24, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnny_swindle

Post by johnny_swindle » Fri May 24, 2019 11:28 am

When I did the update, it updated to 18.3RC. When I start live TV, I get about a 3 second pause (a still image [so to speak] of what is on the channel, audio and then the screen blinks and the stream is there.

While not perfect, it is better than that horrible av mismatch that I had before.

Again, thank you for your assistance.

Johnny
usafle wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:06 pm
johnny_swindle wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:31 pm

Johnny
Glad I could help. Just an FYI, my OSMC box pushed out an update today.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 » Sat May 25, 2019 4:03 pm

RoyBrander wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:55 am
*** PROBLEM SOLVED ****
I was fiddling with setting on the HDHomeRun config app - try "default" instead of "Windows Media Centre", etc. I changed a few things at once, like a really bad experimenter does. It was almost certainly the last thing I did: I did a CLEAR DATA on the channel guide and all other settings.

The problem vanished the missing channel is now coming in with Guide information, recording on it works, etc.

So: sorry to bother you. But I'll leave the post up, for FYI.

I think the lesson to learn from it, is if you're having trouble with the guide, always do a CLEAR DATA and let it start from scratch after changing settings.
Very glad to hear that you got the issue resolved, sorry I didn't see this sooner for you. I agree, Clear Data is a great troubleshooting step. Restarting Kodi also solves a lot of weird channel related issues, believe it or not. Kodi (until 18.3 - I submitted a PR for them I hope makes this better) only adds/removes channels in the Guide at startup. The addon does it's best to update everything as the environment changes, but the EPG has always been problematic. Again, I hope the change I made makes that better for 18.3 and beyond. Not sure that was your core issue, but I thought it worth pointing out.

If you run into more problems, please don't hesitate to reach out! As you can see, the folks here are great and can solve pretty much anything without me at this point :)

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sat May 25, 2019 4:18 pm

Wanted to let you guys and gals know how things are going with multiple RECORD engines running on the network. I've still only done a fraction of the testing I want to, but overall things are generally working as I hoped/expected. I see no problems at all discovering recordings from multiple RECORD engines, you get a single view and they 'just work'.

I am changing v2.1.0 (the next version) to switch off of HTTP device discovery as the default and go with broadcast instead. As signcarver pointed out in the past it's how the SD apps do it. The turning point for me was the delay involved if you turn something off. A shut down RECORD engine or unplugged tuner will report as alive and well for quite some time by the HTTP backend, and that's bad. At a minimum it causes delays in the PVR trying to talk to something that's not online, but having multiple RECORD engines online and then taking one offline gets ugly quick. The PVR will potentially try to route all the live streams through the down RECORD engine, so nothing works, and executing a discovery does no good since the backend keeps saying it's alive.

As part of that, I'm also dialing the default device discovery interval back up to 10 minutes (currently 1 hour). Not as frequent as the original 5 minutes, and since most people would now use broadcast, it shouldn't be noticeable at all. There will be a new "Use HTTP cloud-based device discovery" option tucked away in Advanced that you can turn on to still use the HTTP discovery if you want.

There was also a bug in the broadcast discovery I've fixed that would be extremely unlikely to run into -- if an HDHomeRun device is multi-homed (2 or more IP addresses), it would get omitted from discovery. I found this since I have Hyper-V installed on my PC where I was adding the second RECORD engine. Broadcast picked it up twice, so that was a nice accidental find/fix.

My primary outstanding question about multiple engines may have to be asked directly to SD, it's hard to actually try. The RECORD engines have a limit on the number of streams they will hand out (16, I think right now), I may need to check the status JSON before opening a Live TV stream to see if the 'other' RECORD engine should be asked instead. It's likely they've thought of this already and probably cooked something into the DVR services to deal with it, perhaps it may send a redirect to another engine? We will see.

Anyway, not sitting idle here. Plenty of backlogged annoyances to work through. Nothing pressing in nature right now, though -- enjoy using the software and thanks as always for the feedback. "Perfect" is unattainable, still shooting for "almost perfect" :)

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Sun May 26, 2019 5:08 am

djp952 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:18 pm
Wanted to let you guys and gals know how things are going with multiple RECORD engines running on the network. I've still only done a fraction of the testing I want to, but overall things are generally working as I hoped/expected. I see no problems at all discovering recordings from multiple RECORD engines, you get a single view and they 'just work'.
I set up a second record engine yesterday morning. I didn't have any issues at all with the PVR add-on or the record engines. Both engines had nearly the the same amount of storage space available when I started them with the second engine at about 1GB less free space. My first recording was a baseball game (about 20 GB) and a few hours later when the next recordings started they automatically switched over to the second engine. The PVR add-on didn't seem to have any trouble finding all of the recordings this morning.

leopheard

Post by leopheard » Wed May 29, 2019 11:16 pm

So I accidentally upgraded to Kodi OSMC 18 Leia on my RPi3 and after a constant bootloop / removing the PVR folders on my SD card and installing the new client (zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-linux-armhf-leia-2.0.3.7079) it seems to have stopped the bootloop.

My only issues are as follows:

1) I have the original HDHR PVR enabled in the interface, but the green HDHR addon has disappeared?

2) Which may have caused this issue, under settings, it shows 2 PVR frontends as installed - will this cause issues? Screenshots here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/32blp5jta83ka ... 9.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/26mqyx0f0pxu3 ... 0.jpg?dl=0

djp952

Post by djp952 » Thu May 30, 2019 4:43 pm

leopheard wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:16 pm
So I accidentally upgraded to Kodi OSMC 18 Leia on my RPi3 and after a constant bootloop / removing the PVR folders on my SD card and installing the new client (zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-linux-armhf-leia-2.0.3.7079) it seems to have stopped the bootloop.

My only issues are as follows:

1) I have the original HDHR PVR enabled in the interface, but the green HDHR addon has disappeared?

2) Which may have caused this issue, under settings, it shows 2 PVR frontends as installed - will this cause issues? Screenshots here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/32blp5jta83ka ... 9.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/26mqyx0f0pxu3 ... 0.jpg?dl=0
Having multiple PVRs installed shouldn't cause any technical issues, but having both this PVR and the regular HDHomeRun PVR addon installed will give you duplicate channels. Again, that technically shouldn't be a problem. The main thing I can think of that you lose is the ability to use the channel numbers provided by either addon, Kodi will force you into it's sequential numbering scheme. In this PVR, there is a setting you can use -- "Prepend channel numbers to channel names", this will put the channel number as part of the name, for example "511 WBALDT". So in the guide you'd see the Kodi number and the PVR channel number at the same time.

As for the bootloop, and I am going to reply on GitHub as well later for you and likely just copy/paste this (lol), but ... the Krypton version of the addon shouldn't have loaded at all under Leia, OSMC should have errored out on startup with a banner message along the lines of "unable to load addon". The addon tells Kodi what versions of the internal interfaces it needs, and they won't match across major Kodi versions like this. If OSMC somehow managed to bypass this (which would be weird), it would almost undoubtedly crash Kodi since the interfaces are different, so the addon would be calling into essentially random addresses and go boom.

I'm glad it's working for you now, but I think my main question would be if you did get this error from OSMC about an incompatible addon or not after the upgrade. If it allowed an incompatible addon to load, that's something we should bring to OSMC's attention.

Linux-based addons are a bit more fussy than the other platforms as well. There is no in-built protection from loading an addon built for another architecture. In fairness, that was new in Leia for the other platforms, and I only recently took advantage of that (upcoming in v2.1.0) so if you say tried to install the x86 Windows addon on x64, Kodi just says no. Linux has nothing like that, it's all just "linux" to Kodi.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Thu May 30, 2019 4:50 pm

leopheard wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:16 pm
Sorry, I forgot to answer #1 for you -- the SiliconDust HDHR addon is a "Script" addon, not a "PVR client". You turned on the HDHomeRun PVR Client that ships with Kodi. You can turn that off under Addons / My Addons / PVR Clients -- find it and "Disable". Then do an addon search for "HDHomeRun" and install "Script - HDHomeRun" from the list that comes up. That's the one you were looking for with the big green SiliconDust logo at startup and the official HDHomeRun DVR user interface.

leopheard

Post by leopheard » Thu May 30, 2019 6:02 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I noticed the channel number had doubled, but it seems to be working fine now. I disabled the official addon via my Addons and uninstalled the PVR. Then I manually ran your .zip and it seems to be fine now.

The wife tells me the green HDHR script runs channels better without breaking up, I've told her it's probably the crappy silicondust antenna we have on the roof, but to keep her happy I've added that back. It does have more graphics and is nicer to browse I guess.

Thanks again!

djp952

Post by djp952 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:11 pm

Quick update on what I've been working on ...

I finally was able to successfully perform an auto-update on Linux :D The bulk of the build-level plumbing is done for this now. Getting all the URLs and repo nonsense right is actually quite difficult. I'm also setting up a "local" test repository here at chez djp952 that I can use to actually try these things before they are pushed out for real (novel concept, IKR?)

I still have to work out how I want to deal with prior releases being available via the repo ... today that process is manual and I've made more than a few mistakes as you know. The good thing is that the mistakes are all server-side so after 24/48 hours Kodi will pick up the fixes and do it's thing, but I would prefer this to be as automated as possible so mistakes can't creep in.

That's about it, getting Linux able to auto-update has been a pretty invasive set of changes. I will also be out on vacation all next week and have every intention of ignoring the Internet completely the entire time, so v2.1.0 is more likely going to be a mid-June release. I'm very confident that as of v2.1.0 auto-update for Linux (on Kodi Leia) will be a reality!

If nothing else comes up between now and two weeks from now, have a pleasant start to your June, everyone!

RoyBrander

Post by RoyBrander » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:34 am

I just had to re-install Kodi and this client, my Win 7 machine packed it in and I switched to Win 10. (The HDHomeRun supplied client wouldn't do DVR. I'm still not sure if I actually installed the Win 7 version because I wouldn't use Windows Store.)

Anyway, I like Kodi and Zuki better, but upon re-install I could swear that I'm missing a bunch of settings options I had with my old machine. I had only 3 days of schedule on the old one until I found a setting that said "show the whole two weeks" and flipped it.

Now I can't find that setting, anywhere, not in the Add-On config, or the PVR client settings in Kodi, nowhere. What am I missing?

....actually, it's not just a display matter; I can only see recordings set up 3 days ahead, too - it's like it doesn't know the schedule past that, either...

And the HDHomeRun software, while claiming "No DVR Configured" is nonetheless getting two full weeks of schedule, so I know the schedule's out there. Zuki's just only seeing 3 days of it.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:35 pm

I think you're thinking of the main Kodi Settings > PVR and Live TV > Guide?