Is Kodi better then using the SD app?

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

rpmccormick

Is Kodi better then using the SD app?

Post by rpmccormick » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:37 pm

I want to know if it is worth my time to look in to any Kodi implementations. Can you please provide your opinion?

1) I have a SDHR transcoding 2-tuner box (metal, no fan).
2) On every TV I have either a full Windows machine, or a FireTV Stick/Cube/StickHD (and a chrome-cast too).
3) I refuse to pay service subscriptions such as DVR Service or PlexPass (this limits my options).
4) I don't record anything, but I need to time-shift LiveTV (pause/rew/ff for 15min buffer is all I need).

5) Usage:
- I use Kodi on my FireTVs and PCs and Android phones/tablets.
- I use the NetFlix app too (because it is better then Kodi NetFlix)
- I now use SD HD apps too (just got it, sending back my Recast)

QUESTION: In your opinion, should I bother trying to get a good Kodi setup, or should I just stick with the HD App? (Probably going to do WMC on the windows-machines instead of the HD App eventually... but Kodi for all would be best, if it is _stable_, and I can time-shift, and the _free_ guide is as good as HDApp/WMC)

(Question for a different section of this SD forum: It is my understanding that if I want LiveTV on my phone when not at home, I'm SOL without a Subscription Service [or a SlingBox/Recast]. If False, can you please post a link, because I keep hitting dead-ends on my Googling)

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Re: Is Kodi better then using the SD app?

Post by Ken.F » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:13 am

The HDHomeRun app can pause live TV without a DVR subscription (client buffering). Unfortunately client buffering doesn't work on the FireTV Stick models.
More about client buffering here: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=68424

The HDHomeRun app for Windows only runs on Win10. Windows versions older than Win10 can run the legacy HDHomeRun View program. View looks very similar to the Win10 app but it can't pause live TV, even if you have a DVR subscription. Since you mentioned using WMC I assume you do not have Win10.

I think your best chance at getting pause capability on all of your TVs without paying a subscription will be running ServerWMC on one of your WMC computers and the ServerWMC PVR add-on for Kodi on all of the other TVs.
ServerWMC info here: https://kodi.wiki/view/ServerWMC

I don't know of any way to watch live TV on your phone outside of the home without a subscription.

rpmccormick

Re: Is Kodi better then using the SD app?

Post by rpmccormick » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:34 pm

Thanks for the info! I will look in to ServerWMC.

I have Win10 on my HTPC now, but plan on going back to Win7.