Subtitles not working in Kodi

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

ddejager

Subtitles not working in Kodi

Post by ddejager » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:38 pm

I have Kodi installed both on a FireTVStick and on a Rasberry Pi (OSMC). I have installed the "unofficial PVR addon from this forum into Kodi. I've also installed the HDHomeRun Video Add-on into Kodi. I also have the HDHomeRun Android app installed on the FireTVStick.

Close captions (subtitles) work only on the FireTVStick in the Android App. In all other situations in Kodi the close captions do not work. In the HDHoemRun video add-on I've subtitles in the audio options. There appears to be no other setting to turn them on. In the PVR for HDHomeRun I see an option to enable subtitles in settings for the PVR and it is enabled. I also see an option to enable them on the subtitles menu (reached by clicking OK when viewing a show) but the option to grayed out...the only option on this menu not grayed out is "Download..." which does not nothing useful and does not seem relevant.

How do I get closed captions (subtitles) working in Kodi for HDHomeRun?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Subtitles not working in Kodi

Post by signcarver » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:37 pm

It has been a while since I have done it and updates to kodi may have changed it but, at least in the past, one must first enable parsing for closed captions (I believe it was an advanced configuration setting thus often not displayed), then enable them in the add-on (and each stream may need to turn them on again (default hasn't worked for me in years)

ddejager

Re: Subtitles not working in Kodi

Post by ddejager » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:10 pm

Thanks. I finally found the place to turn on CC parsing: Settings.PlayerSettings.Language. It was not obvious where to look for this option, but now it is working.