(OLD) Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by djp952 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:51 pm

By the way gang, if you haven't seen the news anyone using OTA service should check out SD's new Premium TV service!

https://www.silicondust.com/premium-tv/

viewtopic.php?f=119&t=69230

I'm happy to report that if you are using v1.3.x of this PVR client and one of the supported tuners (and in a supported region), you will be able to view the demo channels!

It's a pretty cool idea and from a technical perspective I'm really impressed that they were able to come up with a way to leverage the existing hardware we already own rather than some 'buy this too' method. SiliconDust takes very good care of us -- without their support and openness even this little Kodi addon couldn't exist not to mention the tons of other ways they allow people to use their technologies. Pretty rare situation for the current world of locked down computing ecosystems. SD rocks.

FYI: Disabling the demo channels can be done the same way as any other channel, either go to the tuner and change the hollow star into a red X on the channel list, or if you can do it via this PVR by right-clicking on the channel in the Kodi "Channels" view and selecting Client Actions, then Disable channel.

muzicman0

Post by muzicman0 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:35 am

I just installed this to check it out, and it works OK, except one issue I am seeing. It doesn't happen everytime, but sometimes, when I time-shift backwards, and I go past the beginning of when I started playing (IE: If I have been watching for 45 seconds, but I try to go back further than 45 seconds), I get an error that said something about loosing the stream, or similar. It then drops back to the guide.

I have a pretty basic install, then only thing that I changed is skip times to ONLY -10, +30.

Any ideas?

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:45 pm

muzicman0 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:35 am
I just installed this to check it out, and it works OK, except one issue I am seeing. It doesn't happen everytime, but sometimes, when I time-shift backwards, and I go past the beginning of when I started playing (IE: If I have been watching for 45 seconds, but I try to go back further than 45 seconds), I get an error that said something about loosing the stream, or similar. It then drops back to the guide.

I have a pretty basic install, then only thing that I changed is skip times to ONLY -10, +30.

Any ideas?
Hi! Thanks for trying it out!

What version of Kodi, and what platform/OS are you running on? When you seek back beyond the start of the stream, Kodi should be asking for a new position very near zero, if not zero itself. This should be OK, the DVR engine caches the stream on your NAS (or wherever it's installed) for Live TV.

Given that it's not every time, I think our best bet is to check the Kodi log to see if it gives us any extra information. Depending on the OS we can totally help you find that. The DVR engine log may also be helpful, but let's start with the Kodi log first :D

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:53 pm

Mildly interesting news from playing around last night and today -- even though Kodi isn't currently publishing any Leia packages for Universal Windows on ARM devices right now (why?), I was able to hobble together a build of Leia that works on my old Lumia 950 Win 10 phone. I hacked in the PVR client for UWP ARM and … it actually works just fine!

It looks like whenever (if?) Team Kodi starts up UWP for ARM builds again it will just be a matter of hooking it up like the UWP Win32 and UWP x64 builds to pump out a custom .APPX for those devices too. I still don't like having to deconstruct Kodi's APPX files and repackage them, but there is simply no other way available right now. Ah well.

Figured there is probably a couple people that might be planning on buying into ARM on Windows at some point, so if you are - got ya covered from this end :D

muzicman0

Post by muzicman0 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:09 pm

djp952 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:45 pm
muzicman0 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:35 am

Any ideas?
Hi! Thanks for trying it out!

What version of Kodi, and what platform/OS are you running on? When you seek back beyond the start of the stream, Kodi should be asking for a new position very near zero, if not zero itself. This should be OK, the DVR engine caches the stream on your NAS (or wherever it's installed) for Live TV.

Given that it's not every time, I think our best bet is to check the Kodi log to see if it gives us any extra information. Depending on the OS we can totally help you find that. The DVR engine log may also be helpful, but let's start with the Kodi log first :D
The HDHomeRun DVR is on w Win 7 x64 machine.

The KODI install is on 64 Bit Win 10. It is the 32 Bit Windows install.

KODI version is 17.6.

Any help would be appreciated!

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:07 pm

muzicman0 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:09 pm
The HDHomeRun DVR is on w Win 7 x64 machine.

The KODI install is on 64 Bit Win 10. It is the 32 Bit Windows install.

KODI version is 17.6.

Any help would be appreciated!
Easy enough! WIN+R, type "%APPDATA%\Kodi", press ENTER. The kodi.log file will be in there.

You can also navigate directly, the folder will be C:\Users\{your user name}\AppData\Roaming\Kodi

The best way to do this is to run Kodi, get the error to occur, then close Kodi. That will produce the smallest log file. Don't grab kodi.log until it's fully closed out to make sure everything is in there.

You can send it to me (I will PM you my e-mail address), or post it somewhere and link back to it. It would be unpleasant to try and paste the whole thing here :) PM on the way ...

muzicman0

Post by muzicman0 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:34 pm

Thanks. I have actually been unable to reproduce, so perhaps it was something weird. I do have a couple other questions though...

1. I have also noticed another issue where I will mark things to be recorded, and they are being recorded, but they don't seem to show up under 'Recordings'. Am I doing something wrong here? For instance now, I am test recording 2 programs, but neither show up in the Recordings folder. (now they show...perhaps it just takes a few minutes for them to show up???)

2. Is it possible to process video after watching it? My current PVR I watch a recorded show in HD, then that night a script runs that compresses the video down using FFMPEG. It's a great option to save shows to watch again later if wanted, without taking so much disk space. I'm sure this isn't the right place to ask, just hoping someone may know if it's possible...if so, I'll figure it out, or post in a more appropriate forum.

3. Is this stable enough to use full time? My current PVR has all the functionality I want, and I love the interface, but the server crashes every 2 months or so (and sometimes more often), and I don't want to invest in a new solution if it isn't stable.

ddejager

Post by ddejager » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:56 pm

3. Is this stable enough to use full time? My current PVR has all the functionality I want, and I love the interface, but the server crashes every 2 months or so (and sometimes more often), and I don't want to invest in a new solution if it isn't stable.
I switch from Microsoft Media Center a while ago to this client under Kodi. It is more reliable than using the XBOX 360 Media extender was. I'm quite satisfied with it.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:55 pm

muzicman0 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:34 pm
Thanks. I have actually been unable to reproduce, so perhaps it was something weird. I do have a couple other questions though...

1. I have also noticed another issue where I will mark things to be recorded, and they are being recorded, but they don't seem to show up under 'Recordings'. Am I doing something wrong here? For instance now, I am test recording 2 programs, but neither show up in the Recordings folder. (now they show...perhaps it just takes a few minutes for them to show up???)

2. Is it possible to process video after watching it? My current PVR I watch a recorded show in HD, then that night a script runs that compresses the video down using FFMPEG. It's a great option to save shows to watch again later if wanted, without taking so much disk space. I'm sure this isn't the right place to ask, just hoping someone may know if it's possible...if so, I'll figure it out, or post in a more appropriate forum.

1. Yup! There is a time delay between when the DVR starts recording something and when it lists it, and there is also a time delay in this PVR for how long it will take to rescan the recordings. There are ways to force an update, but it's awkward to get to. I did add an option a while back called "Trigger Recording discovery immediate after playback", which kicks off a recording scan as soon as you stop a Live TV channel or another Recorded TV stream. It helps a bit.

2. Not really, at least not via this particular addon. It's designed to work on as many platforms as possible (everything but iOS right now!) and any solution to something like that ends up being pretty platform specific. It also would rely on Kodi continuing to run while such a task was executing. Think of this like a go-between that just sits between Kodi and the DVR services, it doesn't really do a whole lot on it's own. Sorry about that. Your best bet here may be to consider some type of external service/daemon (is MCEBuddy still a thing?) that you could perhaps configure to automatically compress and move the .MPG files from the HDHomeRun share after a certain amount of time. Like if the file is 5 days old go ahead and squish/move it. You'd definitely want to move the file somewhere else out of the HDHomeRun share and link that place up in the Kodi 'Videos' library for the compressed streams -- the HDHomeRun share for the DVR will expect everything to be MPEG-TS and have the DVR specific metadata still in it.

3. I think so! We've been using this exclusively in chez djp952 since December 2016. I've found the HDHomeRun DVR solution very solid in practice, and while of course this particular Kodi addon has had it's share of defects/bugs (you get what you pay for - LOL) I think most people have been generally happy with it. I also keep the official SD HDHomeRun app installed for the times when I really want to watch something with DRM, of course, but that's a pretty rare occurrence, mainly when Verizon is handing out free HBO or Showtime or something for a month.

The main problem with this addon is quite honestly my overly verbose posts. I type a lot. Verbal diarrhea.

grumpygramp

Post by grumpygramp » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:58 pm

muzicman0 wrote:

Many people still use MCEBudy to process their videos.

muzicman0

Post by muzicman0 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:31 am

grumpygramp wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:58 pm
muzicman0 wrote:

Thanks. I can (and did) write my own script to compress the videos. That's not the problem. I want to selectively compress based on the 'watched' status. Doesn't look like I can replicate that functionality, so I have to decide if that is a deal killer. I have everything so automated with JRiver that it will be hard to not have that functionality.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:15 pm

muzicman0 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:31 am
grumpygramp wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:58 pm
muzicman0 wrote:

Thanks. I can (and did) write my own script to compress the videos. That's not the problem. I want to selectively compress based on the 'watched' status. Doesn't look like I can replicate that functionality, so I have to decide if that is a deal killer. I have everything so automated with JRiver that it will be hard to not have that functionality.
Yeah, this one will be a challenge via Kodi/HDHR. There isn't really a 'watched' flag externalized from Kodi. There is a 'resume' flag that will be present in the metadata on the DVR engine, but it would be difficult to know how 'watched' it really is. When you let a program play all the way to the end it looks like you will get a Resume value of 4294967295 (0xFFFFFFFF, maximum 32-bit unsigned integer value) in the metadata, which could possibly be used as a trigger.

If you are really enterprising, you could use the Start Time and End Time along with the Resume time to figure out how 'watched' it really was. The start time and end time are expressed as time_t values so you can subtract the start from the end to know how many seconds the program is. Resume time is specified in seconds so you could also add resume to start and if that's within some range (like 180 for 3 minutes) of the end it's 'watched'. All of this of course falls apart if you re-watch the episode and stop it outside of the range you came up with :)

If you want to see the metadata, you can use a browser. Go to http://my.hdhomerun.com/discover. In the list you will get back one item with a "StorageURL" in it, that's the DVR engine's recording metadata link. Paste that URL into the browser and viola - you have all of the data that the PVR uses! It's a JSON format (pretty easy to figure out if you've never seen it before) -- check out the "RecordStartTime", "RecordEndTime" and "Resume" (if present) values. When you stop a recording in Kodi via this PVR or with the official HDHomeRun app, the "Resume" value will be set to the # of seconds into the program you stopped.

Long and generally useless response, but perhaps with some work here and there you could come up with something pretty slick :)

jhford

Android Tablets

Post by jhford » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:41 am

Do I understand that this Kodi build will not run on Android tablets?
Thanks

djp952

Re: Android Tablets

Post by djp952 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:47 pm

jhford wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:41 am
Thanks
I run it on an Android tablet just fine. It's an older one, but never been an issue. I don't think there are any restrictions on Kodi in this way. It's side-loaded so even if the official store one is marked as "for phones", which I don't think it is, you can still install it.

jhford

Re: Android Tablets

Post by jhford » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:46 pm

djp952 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:47 pm
jhford wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:41 am
Thanks
I run it on an Android tablet just fine. It's an older one, but never been an issue. I don't think there are any restrictions on Kodi in this way. It's side-loaded so even if the official store one is marked as "for phones", which I don't think it is, you can still install it.
Maybe I installed it incorrectly. I downloaded the Krypton Arm apk to my Nexus 7 2013 tablet which is running Lineage 14.1, double clicked the apk and it installed. I then set it up like I setup your app on my Fire TV Stick.

But when I try to play a recording or a TV show, the following occurs randomly.
1. Kodi immediately shuts down.
2. The little blue and black progress circle starts and Kodi immediately shuts down.
3. A multitude of little blue and black progress circle starts and Kodi immediately shuts down. I wish I could screen shoot this so you can see, but it disappears too quickly.

Any ideas?