(OLD) Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

Fred42

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by Fred42 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:37 pm

What would be a good player for KODI+this add on as well as amazon video? I have a fireTV but the deinterlace is not working, so I was looking to buy a shield but apparently it's not a good option for this add-on. Any suggestion?

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:41 pm

Hardax wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:21 pm
Ah man that’s disappointing to hear but I completely understand. It’s just that, like you said, a lot of us are on the Shield and SPMC integrates so much nicer that stock Kodi does. I wonder also if SPMC would handle the audio issue we’ve just been discussing any differently? My issue of the fluctuating/low volume makes your build unusable sadly. Any other PVR client I’ve tried (official HDHomerun and NextPVR) don’t exhibit this behavior at all using SPMC v17 build.
Wait, the in-built Kodi HDHomeRun PVR Client (not the SiliconDust script add-on) works right for you? If so, try enabling the "Stream Live TV channels directly from tuner device(s)" option temporarily (Add-on settings / "Advanced" tab).

There is no difference in how the stream is processed and handed off to Kodi (Live TV from DVR, Live TV from Tuner, Recorded TV), perhaps there is a difference in the stream itself? The tuner streams start off differently than the DVR ones -- there is a bit of padding at the beginning of the DVR streams that won't exist on the tuner streams.

Hardax

Post by Hardax » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:22 pm

djp952 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:41 pm

Wait, the in-built Kodi HDHomeRun PVR Client (not the SiliconDust script add-on) works right for you? If so, try enabling the "Stream Live TV channels directly from tuner device(s)" option temporarily (Add-on settings / "Advanced" tab).

There is no difference in how the stream is processed and handed off to Kodi (Live TV from DVR, Live TV from Tuner, Recorded TV), perhaps there is a difference in the stream itself? The tuner streams start off differently than the DVR ones -- there is a bit of padding at the beginning of the DVR streams that won't exist on the tuner streams.
Yes, the pvr client that comes preinstalled in Kodi works fine when live streaming. No audio issues at all. Im not sure if it's honoring pass through settings as I only have used it so far for some mindless kids programming. I will check though and report back. I don't have it installed ATM.

I'm not sure what the Silicone Dust script is?

I will also reinstall you modified apk and check to see if direct streaming makes a difference unless
NyPlayer beats me to it. I hope that won't be the workaround though as time shifting is my main interest in the add on.
Last edited by Hardax on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Post by NYPlayer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:29 pm

I do not think live streaming directly is going to make a difference if my memory serves me right ... I tried that and it still did not do surround sound.,,, but I cannot retest at the moment maybe later or in the morning.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:29 am

Guys check this thread out on the Kodi forums:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=304682

There are a couple embedded links to chase as well but the short version after a quick scan is that you may have to change a playback synchronization option in Kodi. There were other explanations in there as well but my money is on that being the culprit.

Hardax

Post by Hardax » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:43 am

djp952 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:29 am
Guys check this thread out on the Kodi forums:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=304682

There are a couple embedded links to chase as well but the short version after a quick scan is that you may have to change a playback synchronization option in Kodi. There were other explanations in there as well but my money is on that being the culprit.
Just re-enabled the built in HD Homerun PVR client using SPMC v17 and it’s confirmed that AC3 audio is not being passed through. It must be downmixing as I am still getting audio on my soundbar but just in stereo. From reading your link djp952, I’m thinking this is to be expected.

Note however that the volume level is steady In this test.

Off to try your modified Android APK just to be sure the other day was just not a glitch. Will report back.

Hardax

Post by Hardax » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:40 am

Reinstalled modified APK and so far volume levels are not fluctuating. I’ve tried this with both “maintain volume level when downmix” turned on and off thinking this might be related with the same results. Guess it was just a glitch with the station I was tuned to? Will keep watching throughout today just to be sure.

Djp952 thank you for the offer to ask the guys over on the SPMC side to possibly include your client. That would be the ideal solution of course.

In the meantime, is there any way we can convince you for a one off mod while we wait for them to say yes or wait for Kodi 18 to be officially released (Kodi 18 will have the same Shield integration that SPMC has now).

This is the build discussion on GIT that I’m refering to:

https://github.com/koying/SPMC/issues/936

http://download.semperpax.com/spmc/android-arm/?C=M;O=D

Either way, thanks a lot for your efforts!

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Hardax wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:40 am
Reinstalled modified APK and so far volume levels are not fluctuating. I’ve tried this with both “maintain volume level when downmix” turned on and off thinking this might be related with the same results. Guess it was just a glitch with the station I was tuned to? Will keep watching throughout today just to be sure.

Djp952 thank you for the offer to ask the guys over on the SPMC side to possibly include your client. That would be the ideal solution of course.

In the meantime, is there any way we can convince you for a one off mod while we wait for them to say yes or wait for Kodi 18 to be officially released (Kodi 18 will have the same Shield integration that SPMC has now).

This is the build discussion on GIT that I’m refering to:

https://github.com/koying/SPMC/issues/936

http://download.semperpax.com/spmc/android-arm/?C=M;O=D

Either way, thanks a lot for your efforts!
I'd certainly be more inclined to hook up the APK for regular Kodi 18; given that it's a moving target with nightly builds what would your suggestion be for when to issue those? I'd hate to issue a build against a broken version of Leia and screw everyone up. I was hoping to wait for an RC, but that's probably a (very) long time out and I completely understand the need here :)

I'm on board, but I do need assistance with selecting which Kodi nightly to use. Is anyone regularly keeping up with the Kodi 18 builds on Android? Are there any known stable recent v18 APK builds (ARM, ARM64 and x86 all working would be preferable, but just ARM64 for the Shield is fine too)

Once we get a stable nightly hooked up for you guys, I'll probably still need to rely on feedback from you for when to make an updated one. It would be impossible for me to keep up with Team Kodi's nightly release cadence.

Hardax

Post by Hardax » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:04 pm

djp952 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:05 pm
I'd certainly be more inclined to hook up the APK for regular Kodi 18; given that it's a moving target with nightly builds what would your suggestion be for when to issue those? I'd hate to issue a build against a broken version of Leia and screw everyone up. I was hoping to wait for an RC, but that's probably a (very) long time out and I completely understand the need here :)

I'm on board, but I do need assistance with selecting which Kodi nightly to use. Is anyone regularly keeping up with the Kodi 18 builds on Android? Are there any known stable recent v18 APK builds (ARM, ARM64 and x86 all working would be preferable, but just ARM64 for the Shield is fine too)

Once we get a stable nightly hooked up for you guys, I'll probably still need to rely on feedback from you for when to make an updated one. It would be impossible for me to keep up with Team Kodi's nightly release cadence.
I haven’t had any issues with any of the more recent nightly releases but to be honest I haven’t used Leia extensively (last 2 weeks or so) and my setup/needs are quite basic so I may not notice a lot of the annoyances that an alpha release brings.

If you do do this, I'd be more than happy to keep an eye on releases and update here when needed.

NYPlayer

Post by NYPlayer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:12 pm

I for one do not plan on upgrading to Kodi 18 anytime soon finally have a stable environment ... just waiting on HDHR DRM (if Ever)recording ;) ;) ;) .. Thank you for this Add on.

One thing I would like to see is the an option to show DRM listings ... even though I know KODI cannot deal with them .. I would like to see the listings. Maybe mark them DRM in the guide ?

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:39 pm

NYPlayer wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:12 pm
I for one do not plan on upgrading to Kodi 18 anytime soon finally have a stable environment ... just waiting on HDHR DRM (if Ever)recording ;) ;) ;) .. Thank you for this Add on.

One thing I would like to see is the an option to show DRM listings ... even though I know KODI cannot deal with them .. I would like to see the listings. Maybe mark them DRM in the guide ?
Should be easy enough, all the DRM channel information is actually loaded and is available, it's just ignored. What would be your expectation if you actually try to select one of them? I can see how Kodi behaves before doing anything special, but we should probably block the attempt and display a message of some kind.

So you'd be OK with the channel name being something like "HBO HD (DRM)" in the guide?

NYPlayer

Post by NYPlayer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:47 pm

djp952 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:39 pm
NYPlayer wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:12 pm

Should be easy enough, all the DRM channel information is actually loaded and is available, it's just ignored. What would be your expectation if you actually try to select one of them? I can see how Kodi behaves before doing anything special, but we should probably block the attempt and display a message of some kind.

So you'd be OK with the channel name being something like "HBO HD (DRM)" in the guide?
Yes that would be ok. It just makes it easier to check if something is airing that I want to make time to watch. Also when they do finally release DRM recording I should be able to set the timers ... even though I cannot watch them in the grid guide.

Maybe you can even add a DRM channel group.

apazrjon

Post by apazrjon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:10 pm

First off! Thank you so much for this PVR! I can't imagine trying to use HDHomerun thru Kodi without.

I just last night started running into issues with your PVR add on playing channels. Everything was working great before. I was happy as a clam! Even my wife was happy as can be, lol. Then last night something changed. When watching TV, it just stopped and defaulted back to kodi screen out of the blue. Now when I try to play a channel it just thinks for a second and then defaults back to the kodi screen I was on. It will not play the video stream. It doesn't matter if it is live cable or some of my older recorded tv shows. If I reboot my shield tv, or my win 10 box, sometimes it will start to work again. If I change the settings to "play stream directly from HDHhomerun" in the advanced settings, it will sometimes work. I have no Idea what happened and don't really know where to start. The EPG data will update fine, so the rig must be finding the HDHomerun prime, but no video. I set a static IP for all my kodi devices and the HDhomerun, but that did not fix the issue. If I disable your PVR and use the official one it will play fine. I don't even really know where to start.

Any direction would be much appreciated!!! Thanks so much!

My system:

Shield TV Nougat (record engine)
Win10 Box
Mibox

(all three using your 17.3 kodi mod)

NYPlayer

Post by NYPlayer » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:59 pm

apazrjon wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:10 pm
First off! Thank you so much for this PVR! I can't imagine trying to use HDHomerun thru Kodi without.

I just last night started running into issues with your PVR add on playing channels. Everything was working great before. I was happy as a clam! Even my wife was happy as can be, lol. Then last night something changed. When watching TV, it just stopped and defaulted back to kodi screen out of the blue. Now when I try to play a channel it just thinks for a second and then defaults back to the kodi screen I was on. It will not play the video stream. It doesn't matter if it is live cable or some of my older recorded tv shows. If I reboot my shield tv, or my win 10 box, sometimes it will start to work again. If I change the settings to "play stream directly from HDHhomerun" in the advanced settings, it will sometimes work. I have no Idea what happened and don't really know where to start. The EPG data will update fine, so the rig must be finding the HDHomerun prime, but no video. I set a static IP for all my kodi devices and the HDhomerun, but that did not fix the issue. If I disable your PVR and use the official one it will play fine. I don't even really know where to start.

Any direction would be much appreciated!!! Thanks so much!

My system:

Shield TV Nougat (record engine)
Win10 Box
Mibox

(all three using your 17.3 kodi mod)
What I would try on one of the Android devices is go into settings APPS select the kodi APP and clear the data.... then restart KODI and setup the PVR.

rahduke

Post by rahduke » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:51 pm

Thank you so much for the work! I love the addon but I've been having a lot of difficulty with recorded content and live tv. Every so often the live channels slow down, go out of sync, jump ahead. Drop frames, weird artifacts all sorts of stuff. In addition, recorded content plays really badly. Mostly freezing then jumping ahead with weird artifacts and with issues skipping forward and back. I haven't made it through one of my recorded tv shows yet...

My setup is as follows. ASUSTOR NAS as my network DVR, two new shield tv's and a mibox are the clients. I have brand spanking new netgear 7800 nighthawk router that flawlessly delivers uncompressed 4k hevc movies to both shield units so my throughput is very good. My HDhomerun Prime is running off a Verizon FiOS cablecard. Live Channels works almost flawlessly and the HDhomerun prime app works as well but I still have recorded playback issues.

[s] I tested the recordings themselves by copying to a linux machine and playing the .mpg's in VLC, they work fine.[/s] I am beginning to suspect that either shieldtv has a problem decoding .mpg files or that there's something with Kodi. I'm at a loss, any help would be really appreciated.

*Edit: Spoke to soon about the files copied to a local computer playing fine. They actually don't the .mpg file is messed up somehow, get to a certain part in the video and the picture freezes but the audio continues. Skipping past it makes VLC lose track of the timing in the seek bar. Really strange...