(OLD) Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

clegg78

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by clegg78 »

Hey folks,

Just did a new install (Migrating from WMC to a new NUC w/ Win10) to Kodi 17.6, I followed the instructions the best I can tell. Installed the HDHomeRun software, setup the record location, Subscribed to the HDHomeRun DVR service, installed Kodi, and installed this Add-On. Everything seemed to work great for live TV/Schedule. Could pause live TV, could record live TV... but cant see the recordings in Kodi... no "recent recordings" or anything listed in the recordings tab.

Also had an issue where I couldnt rewind live TV... I did change the record location in the HDHomeRun software after the initial setup, but I uninstalled and reinstalled the Add-On to be sure and still doesnt fly.

Currently testing NextPVR, but I would like to use this HDHomeRun setup ... just not sure where to troubleshoot this. Pull out all the HDHomeRun software and start over?

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

Rickt1962 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:19 am
Time to check in to see how things are working out :) Running the latest Kodi 17 on Pi-3 decided to give it a whirl !
While it was unzipping in Kodi it crashed it and it now boot loops every 10 seconds :( Going to have to reformat it :(
Using zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-raspbian-armhf-krypton-1.2.2.6423.zip

https://paste.osmc.tv/nojadisezi
Hope this helps
I'll get OSMC installed on my Pi and check it out. I corrected a problem with installing the addon on Linux/RPi in v1.2.4, it may be better now. Sincere apologies for being gone for so long, and even moreso for never noticing a bug that has been around since literally day 1.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

hunsra wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:46 pm
Thanks for creating this great PVR client add-on for Kodi. It's been very useful to me.

I have a question about saving recording view progress. I apologize of this has already been asked before. I couldn't find references to this topic, so I thought I'd post my question. I use MySQL as a central database for my Kodi libraries so all of my playback devices and computers have the same state for movie and video progress. Using this, I can start a movie on one device, and resume it on another where I left off. The PVR client doesn't seem to use the central database to store viewing progress on recordings. Is there a way to enable this?

Thanks,
Randy
Hi! I think you also posted on GitHub, I'm working on catching up on everyone now that I have all the (known) bugs from the past couple months fixed (or so I think!)

Hmmmm... this is an interesting one, and I will have to do some research on it. I totally agree with you, I would expect this to work out of the box. Currently this client is generally read-only in nature, it doesn't store anything useful on it's own -- consider it a go-between from Kodi and the HDHomeRun backend services. There isn't a way to store the progress of a recording on the back-end, but honestly I would have assumed Kodi took care of that on it's own.

I don't have an answer right this second, but I've added this to my all-new to-do list.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Ken.F wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:03 am
I've been using Version 1.2.4 (2017.11.22) for the past couple of days on my LibreELEC RPi2. Everything seems to work fine but I noticed the guide data gets wiped out when I switch between Confluence and Estuary skins now. If I reboot after switching skins it does download the guide data again so it's not a big deal.
This is interesting; while I updated some components since 1.2.2 there wasn't anything specific regarding the EPG. One thing I've noticed over the course of this project is that if Kodi aborts the EPG load for any reason (closing Kodi, crashing Kodi [which I am very good at], etc) it seems to consider all of it's data invalid and starts over.

I can certainly try this out and see what happens ... what version of LibreELEC are you running? 8.2.1? I want to be sure to compare apples to apples.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

clegg78 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:57 pm
Hey folks,

Just did a new install (Migrating from WMC to a new NUC w/ Win10) to Kodi 17.6, I followed the instructions the best I can tell. Installed the HDHomeRun software, setup the record location, Subscribed to the HDHomeRun DVR service, installed Kodi, and installed this Add-On. Everything seemed to work great for live TV/Schedule. Could pause live TV, could record live TV... but cant see the recordings in Kodi... no "recent recordings" or anything listed in the recordings tab.

Also had an issue where I couldnt rewind live TV... I did change the record location in the HDHomeRun software after the initial setup, but I uninstalled and reinstalled the Add-On to be sure and still doesnt fly.

Currently testing NextPVR, but I would like to use this HDHomeRun setup ... just not sure where to troubleshoot this. Pull out all the HDHomeRun software and start over?
Hi clegg78! Based on the description, it *sounds* like the client is having trouble finding your HDHomeRun RECORD engine. This isn't entirely uncommon, and there is a setting that might help. First let's see if it found the RECORD engine. I'm assuming you're running Kodi 17.6 Krypton?

> In Kodi, go to Settings / PVR & Live TV settings
> At the bottom of the menu on the left-hand side, make sure the little gear icon says "Advanced" or "Expert" (click on it to change)
> If you highlight "Client Specific" on that left-hand menu, you will get a "Client specific settings" option in the main view. Click on that
> Click on "List discovered devices" from that list
> Do you see an entry that say "HDHomeRun RECORD" in the list?

If you don't see "HDHomeRun RECORD", that would pretty much explain all of the problems. You can try changing how the client finds the devices ...

> From the Kodi Addon Browser, go into "My add-ons" / "PVR Clients" / "HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client"
> Click on "Configure"
> In the "General" section there is an option called "Use network broadcast for device discovery". Turn that on.
> Restart Kodi, and see what happens

If you still don't see any recordings or an "HDHomeRun RECORD" device in that list, let us know. We can go from there :)

djp952

Post by djp952 »

I think I'm generally caught up now, at least for you nice folks here on the SD forums, so I'd like to tell you what I'm up to and what the current TODO list has on it. Please feel free to point out things I missed or things that are still being problematic for you post-v1.2.4 :mrgreen: I effectively just rolled everything back to 1.2.2 and have been re-working from memory, so I'm pretty sure I promised a few things that have now been forgotten. :shock:

Pending changes (v1.2.5):

- I added an option to use the genres provided by the backend in the EPG. I don't think anyone will like this since you lose the color highlighting, but it was possible and has been implemented.
- I (finally) added an option to list DRM channels in the client. You can't play them of course, but they will show up in the EPG now if that's something you want
- I fixed a couple nit-picks in the Leia version, but unfortunately that is still a moving target so some changes are disabled since they don't work yet. I found nothing major or extremely cool that could be leveraged thus far.

TODO List:

- OSX/iOS. From what I can tell, there is really no way I can build for OSX without an Apple PC, but I'm looking into how one might (legally) acquire a copy of OSX that runs on a PC-class machine. iOS may be possible via Visual Studio 2017.
- Shared playback progress. Per posts above, I want to look into this concern.
- OSMC crash/bootloop problem
- Switching skins erases EPG problem
- Reply to Team Kodi about including this in the official Kodi application (really!). I'm leaning towards "no" because it's really custom and needs different versions/options for libraries Kodi already includes, but we'll see
- Maintain PTS values. Leia has a new, and documented as temporary, callback to provide Kodi with PTS (timestamp) information about the stream that's playing. If getting this information and handing it off to Kodi can improve the horrible seek times we have now, I'm on board!
- "v2.0" -- Leia adds a bunch of new things that we might be able to take advantage of, I'd like to play around with them. If we go that way, it will definitely be "2.0" and would require installation of a second addon (inputstream), so I don't know how that will work out yet.

clegg78

Post by clegg78 »

djp952 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:25 pm

Hi clegg78! Based on the description, it *sounds* like the client is having trouble finding your HDHomeRun RECORD engine. This isn't entirely uncommon, and there is a setting that might help. First let's see if it found the RECORD engine. I'm assuming you're running Kodi 17.6 Krypton?

> In Kodi, go to Settings / PVR & Live TV settings
> At the bottom of the menu on the left-hand side, make sure the little gear icon says "Advanced" or "Expert" (click on it to change)
> If you highlight "Client Specific" on that left-hand menu, you will get a "Client specific settings" option in the main view. Click on that
> Click on "List discovered devices" from that list
> Do you see an entry that say "HDHomeRun RECORD" in the list?

If you don't see "HDHomeRun RECORD", that would pretty much explain all of the problems. You can try changing how the client finds the devices ...

> From the Kodi Addon Browser, go into "My add-ons" / "PVR Clients" / "HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client"
> Click on "Configure"
> In the "General" section there is an option called "Use network broadcast for device discovery". Turn that on.
> Restart Kodi, and see what happens

If you still don't see any recordings or an "HDHomeRun RECORD" device in that list, let us know. We can go from there :)
I'll give it a try tomorrow and report back! Thanks for the suggestions!

clegg78

Post by clegg78 »

Sweeet! Just tested that and it worked!

Only comment I have about this PVR Add-On is I wish it would let me set the count for number of episodes to keep of a recurring timer.

Besides that this PVR works great now!

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:17 pm
I can certainly try this out and see what happens ... what version of LibreELEC are you running? 8.2.1? I want to be sure to compare apples to apples.
Yes, LibreELEC 8.2.1. After changing from Estuary to Confluence the guide is just a big empty box without grid lines or anything. Maybe the guide data is still there but it loses the channel list?

clegg78

Post by clegg78 »

Anyone know if Kodi/this addon or HDHomerun DVR will boot the machine to record if scheduled if it is asleep?

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 »

djp952 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:01 pm
Rickt1962 wrote:
Time to check in to see how things are working out :) Running the latest Kodi 17 on Pi-3 decided to give it a whirl !
While it was unzipping in Kodi it crashed it and it now boot loops every 10 seconds :( Going to have to reformat it :(

Hope this helps
I'll get OSMC installed on my Pi and check it out. I corrected a problem with installing the addon on Linux/RPi in v1.2.4, it may be better now. Sincere apologies for being gone for so long, and even moreso for never noticing a bug that has been around since literally day 1.
Yep its FIXED ! Now working on OSMC 17 any luck with OSMC 18 ?
This has come along way GREAT WORK ! :)

djp952

Post by djp952 »

clegg78 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:55 pm
Sweeet! Just tested that and it worked!

Only comment I have about this PVR Add-On is I wish it would let me set the count for number of episodes to keep of a recurring timer.

Besides that this PVR works great now!
Woot!! Number of episodes to keep for a recurring time, like automatically delete them? I think that's more of a feature request for the HDHomeRun guys, the RECORD engine could probably do something like that. Adding it to the client would be iffy I think, it doesn't keep track of much on it's own, so I while think I could do something along those line it would be fairly global in nature and apply to all your series recordings. I'd be horrified of a bug deleting everyone's recordings by accident too :)

Would a global setting like that be of value? Sounds a bit heavy-handed, but I'll let you be the judge!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

clegg78 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:27 am
Anyone know if Kodi/this addon or HDHomerun DVR will boot the machine to record if scheduled if it is asleep?
I don't believe so, I don't think the DVR service (assuming Windows) is that fancy yet. I'd ask SiliconDust if that's something they could add. I think their pushback will be that if the computer is asleep it's not getting guide updates or recording rule updates and may miss something, causing people to be upset. Your best bet is definitely an always-on system to host the RECORD engine. I use a NAS personally.

As for Kodi, sadly that won't help much if it's awake since it's not doing the recording work. It's just acting as a client in this case, all the heavy lifting is done by the DVR service.

I think they have NAS support for the small Western Digital MyCloud devices, they don't use a lot of power and can plug right into your router. Perhaps worth a look? Otherwise I really think your best bet for now is to set the PC running the service not to sleep. Definitely ask SiliconDust though, they may have a better solution or be planning one!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Rickt1962 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:06 am
djp952 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:01 pm
Rickt1962 wrote:

Hope this helps
Yep its FIXED ! Now working on OSMC 17 any luck with OSMC 18 ?
This has come along way GREAT WORK ! :)
Awesome! I'm going to set up the RPi with LibreElec 8.2.1 again tonight (looking for a cheap HDMI/HDCP monitor this weekend so I can use the FireStick more readily too) and will then switch the RPi over to OSMC 18 and see what's what in there for ya. Slow progress is at least some progress! :mrgreen:

hunsra

Post by hunsra »

djp952 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:13 pm
hunsra wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:46 pm
Thanks for creating this great PVR client add-on for Kodi. It's been very useful to me.

I have a question about saving recording view progress. I apologize of this has already been asked before. I couldn't find references to this topic, so I thought I'd post my question. I use MySQL as a central database for my Kodi libraries so all of my playback devices and computers have the same state for movie and video progress. Using this, I can start a movie on one device, and resume it on another where I left off. The PVR client doesn't seem to use the central database to store viewing progress on recordings. Is there a way to enable this?

Thanks,
Randy
Hi! I think you also posted on GitHub, I'm working on catching up on everyone now that I have all the (known) bugs from the past couple months fixed (or so I think!)

Hmmmm... this is an interesting one, and I will have to do some research on it. I totally agree with you, I would expect this to work out of the box. Currently this client is generally read-only in nature, it doesn't store anything useful on it's own -- consider it a go-between from Kodi and the HDHomeRun backend services. There isn't a way to store the progress of a recording on the back-end, but honestly I would have assumed Kodi took care of that on it's own.

I don't have an answer right this second, but I've added this to my all-new to-do list.
Hi,

Yes, I also posted on GitHub in the issues section. Thanks for the reply, and thanks again for your work on this add on. Yeah, I would have expected Kodi to do it for any PVR add on. I was browsing the source code (pvr.cpp) and noticed that the add on reports that it doesn't have the "bSupportsLastPlayedPosition" capability, and has what appears to be default implementations for the "SetRecordingLastPlayedPosition" and "GetRecordingLastPlayedPosition" add on functions. I was wondering if these are what need to be changed/implemented for that type of functionality to work. I'm an experienced C++ programmer, and I'd be happy to help if you would like. I've never done any Kodi add on work, though, so it might take a while to get up to speed. Let me know if you'd be interested in someone else contributing.

Thanks,
Randy