(OLD) Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

ddejager

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by ddejager »

I see the same skip problem described below on my OSMC Raspberry Pi 3
denmonta wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:50 am Great add-on.
Thanks for making it almost perfect in my view.

The only problem I see so far is with pausing Live TV for several minutes and then trying to go past
the commercial with skipping forward. Something I use all the time.
I have my remote setup so that I can skip forward by several minutes when I hit the skip function several times.
However it only skips 10 seconds ahead even though I see it tries to go forward by showing "Seeking +03:00"
It looks like it does not know exactly how big the buffer is at that point. Skipping forwards works great on recordings, but there is definitely a problem for me with Live TV buffer.

I had already posted about this problem, but did not get any solution so far.
I am just asking if anybody else sees the same behavior. I have tried with different hardware (Raspberry Pi, chromebox running LibreElec, OSMC...) but they all behave the same way for me.

This is the only problem that keeps me from moving away from Windows 7 WMC towards Silicondust DVR
backend on Windows 10.

ddejager

Post by ddejager »

kenchills wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:10 pm Hi! First post in this forum. Just to let you know, this PVR client is awesome. Mad props to you. Thank you so much for the hard work!

My question is.....I can't seem to get subtitles working while watching TV or recordings with the PVR client. Subtitles seem to work in the official HDHomerun add-on, but when I watch TV with this wonderful PVR client......no subtitles. I have enabled subtitles in the Kodi settings to the best of my ability...but no joy. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need another add-on? Does the PVR client support subtitles?
I'm running the windows installed version with Kodi 17.4

Thanks in advance for a response!
Make sure you go to settings.Player.Language and turn on "enable parsing for closed captions". If this is not on, close captions will not work. Took me a while to find this out.

jasonmcroy
Device ID: 1061D18E, 1070B743, 1076A10B

Post by jasonmcroy »

Any chance we will see an update for the Android TV client for the 17.5.1 version?

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

In the "Recordings" section of the add-on, my recordings of "The Opposition w/ Jordan Klepper" are being displayed in a sub folder named "Jordan Klepper" under the parent folder named "The Opposition w". The physical recording folder and file names don't contain a slash but the show name in the metadata does. I think the "/" in the metadata is tripping up the add-on.

ddejager

Post by ddejager »

Any chance there will be a 17.5 based version for Android (firestick)? It seems like the latest APK for download is 17.4 based. I've encountered a bug with 17.4 on firestick where it crashes when creating thumbnails for pictures. I'd like to see if 17.5 fixes the problem, but I'd also like to keep using the zuki version for the PVR capabilites that allow me to watch, schedule and control recordings.

ddejager

Post by ddejager »

I have the zuki 1.2.2 HDHomeRun DVR PVR client installed on the latest build of raspberry Pi OSMC (October 2017 2017.10-1). It all works well except when I try to play back certain recorded TV shows, the show does not even start and OSMC restarts. If I play the same show on a firestick with zuki installed, the show plays successfully. Also if I play the same show using the HDHomeRun Add-on on OSMC (or firestick) the show plays correctly. The problem only happens on OSMC when trying to play certain recorded shows using zuki 1.2.2. I can provide a debug log if desired.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 »

Time to check in to see how things are working out :) Running the latest Kodi 17 on Pi-3 decided to give it a whirl !
While it was unzipping in Kodi it crashed it and it now boot loops every 10 seconds :( Going to have to reformat it :(
Using zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-raspbian-armhf-krypton-1.2.2.6423.zip

https://paste.osmc.tv/nojadisezi
Hope this helps

jbdean28

Post by jbdean28 »

First of all, thanks for taking the time to devlop this client. It's great!

I've got it installed on a 2nd gen Firestick. Used the Kodi 17.4 .apk file. It's intalled and working great, with the exception of time shifting / rewinding on live TV. I am a DVR subscriber and Kodi is seeing both my HDH Prime and the record engine. NAS setup is a WD My Cloud 3TB. I can schedule and watch recordings just fine. I can pause live TV as well, but when I try to rewind live tv, like say 10 second increments, it just sputters, freezes, then goes back to live TV. I've looked around in settings and can't find any solution. Has anyone else experienced this? FYI this function is working just fine in the HDHomeRun native app. It's just not working via Kodi. Any ideas?

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

Howdy gang! The rumors of my death have been GREATLY exaggerated. I did have a cold at one point, but that was about it :D I'll spare you the details, but I know I was offline for like 2+ months, and I deeply apologize. It couldn't be avoided -- I had to drop this project for a bit.

There is A LOT for me to catch up on here, but I did generate a new release tonight for Krypton and Jarvis. This updates the dependencies, primarily the SQLite database engine, and for Krypton bumps up the Android APKs to the newly minted version 17.6. No code or feature changes in and of itself. The update to SQLite may resolve a problem that was showing up in the Kodi logs along the lines of "unable to retrieve guide data for channel", I haven't seen that recently here.

My priorities as I get time freed up again here are to get a new Leia build out to you guys, catch up on e-mail and PMs, and then go through this thread since September. I think the first bug/issue that needs to be resolved is likely the "skip" problem that's been around since v1.2.2. I have a great deal of outstanding messages to go through, I'll do my best to catch up ASAP.

Version 1.2.3 (2017.08.02)
  • Update dependencies
  • (Krypton) Update Android APKs to Kodi version 17.6 (11/14/2017)
Downloads:
https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... /Downloads

Release History:
https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... se-History

jbdean28

Post by jbdean28 »

djp952,
I just upgraded from 17.4 to the 17.6 and my live TV rewind issue in the above post is fixed!

Don't know if it was the upgrade, or just the uninstall/reinstall that really fixed it, but it's working now. One thing I thought about is that I did the initial install of 17.4 before I set up my NAS and had DVR subscription, so that may have been the issue and a simple uninstall/reinstall of 17.4 would have done the trick. But anywho, it's fixed and thanks so much for taking the time to develop this!

hunsra

Post by hunsra »

Thanks for creating this great PVR client add-on for Kodi. It's been very useful to me.

I have a question about saving recording view progress. I apologize of this has already been asked before. I couldn't find references to this topic, so I thought I'd post my question. I use MySQL as a central database for my Kodi libraries so all of my playback devices and computers have the same state for movie and video progress. Using this, I can start a movie on one device, and resume it on another where I left off. The PVR client doesn't seem to use the central database to store viewing progress on recordings. Is there a way to enable this?

Thanks,
Randy

djp952

Post by djp952 »

I'm still in semi-hell with (real) work, so I'd like to give you guys one more apology for not responding to anything at all as if I was hit by a bus, but as promised I have been making SOME time for this :mrgreen:

I see at least one seek issue was fixed with Kodi 17.6, which is AWESOME, but I did some playing around on that particular issue this week and made some changes in the PVR client as well ...

Version 1.2.4 (2017.11.22)
  • Fix bug preventing background discovery task scheduler from stopping properly
  • Remove forced MPEG-TS packet boundary alignment during stream seek and read operations
Downloads:
https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... /Downloads

Release History:
https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... se-History

This release resolves a bug dating back to version 1.0.0 (seriously!) and attempts to improve the seek functionality that went a little bonkers in recent releases:

- Anyone that has tried to install this client on LibreELEC, or pretty much anything Raspberry Pi, probably noticed that Kodi crashes when you install it. For a long time I wrote this off as a Kodi/*ELEC defect, but it turned out to be mine after all. What was happening here was a bug that prevented the background discovery tasks from actually stopping when they were told to stop. This could lead to an abnormal termination on some platforms, which crashed Kodi. Everything was great when it restarted, but I found the bug and corrected it -- Kodi shouldn't crash anymore on the client install.

- When I added the neat little MPEG-TS packet filter to deal with streams that won't start I also forced all seek and read operations to be aligned on an MPEG-TS packet boundary (188 bytes). It seemed like a fine idea at the time, but as it turns out Kodi/ffmpeg sometimes asks for a seek that doesn't adhere to this alignment, and it gets all out of sorts if you don't give it what it wants. What I did here was relax the alignment restriction in order to give Kodi/ffmpeg the exact position in the stream it's asking for again, which seems to have made things a little more happy. The downside to this change is that there is a very small chance that the packet filter won't catch and correct the PMT issue since it can't deal with partial packets, but I think/hope it will be fine. One thing to watch out for here is a new Kodi log message I added to indicate when a seek request could not be satisfied to the exact position that was requested. It will show up as a "NOTICE", in the format of ...

Code: Select all

SeekLiveStream: seek request was not satisfied (requested=xxxxxxx, result=yyyyyyy)

... let me know if you have problems with seek and this is in your Kodi logs. In theory it shouldn't ever happen.

I hope that these changes solve all of the outstanding unresolved defects in the client, and if they don't please let me know. I really need to get to work on a functional Leia build :)

PS - For those of us in the U.S.A. ... Happy Thanksgiving!

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Post by clarkss12 »

Looking forward to the Leia build. With Leia LibreELEC, it brings support for Netflix in HD, so with your client, makes this box closer to an all in one device.
Thanks.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

I've been using Version 1.2.4 (2017.11.22) for the past couple of days on my LibreELEC RPi2. Everything seems to work fine but I noticed the guide data gets wiped out when I switch between Confluence and Estuary skins now. If I reboot after switching skins it does download the guide data again so it's not a big deal.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

This took longer than I expected, but I hobbled together a new Leia build :) As always, these are buyer beware and generally untested on anything other Windows. BONUS: All platforms are now available, including Android APKs! Thanks to Team Kodi for publishing those now as they get closer to release.

Downloads available from the GitHub Releases section:
https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... leia-1.2.4

Version 1.2.4 (Build 6537)
for Kodi 18.x "Leia" [revision 28a83487af - 2017.11.22]
- Update SQLite database engine to v3.21.0
- Update cURL library to version 7.56.1
- Update libhdhomerun library to version 2017.08.16
- Adapt to Kodi Leia PVR API 5.7.1
- Fix bug preventing background discovery task scheduler from stopping properly
- Remove forced MPEG-TS packet boundary alignment during stream seek and read operations
- Add workaround to handle multiple calls into ADDON_Create/ADDON_Destroy during installation

====================================

The biggest holdup was figuring out a bug/feature in Leia that caused Kodi to crash when you installed the addon. I was able to work around it once I got a handle on what it was doing, and the work around can stay in place even if Kodi addresses the concern, it won't hurt anything.

For developer types or anyone that likes knowing these things, the problem was that Kodi is initializing the addon multiple times from multiple threads, once for the installer and once for the PVR Manager. When the installer was done it terminated the addon while the PVR Manager was still using it and that's ... bad. The workaround serializes the ADDON_Create/ADDON_Destroy functions and maintains a simple reference counter to avoid multiple initializations/terminations. I added messages into the Kodi log to see when this happens in case there are other instances:

Code: Select all

11:41:22.453 T:2920  NOTICE: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: ADDON_Create: warning: bypassing addon initialization (refs = 2)
11:41:22.475 T:2920  NOTICE: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: ADDON_Destroy: warning: bypassing addon termination (refs = 1)

I'll have a look at the Kodi code at some point and see if I can make a suggestion to them to avoid this, I get the feeling this behavior will adversely affect other third-party addons as well.

OK, I'll shut up now :) Enjoy!