Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by djp952 »

usafle wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:54 pm
Hello all. I just found this "Unofficial" PVR client from a link over on the Kodi forums. I've installed it on my Kodi v.17 installation on my little Surface 3 Tablet to test it out. It loads up all the channels correctly. However, I can't seem to find the recordings (yes I'm a paid DVR subscriber)? Is this due to the recordings being saved on my HTPC and not "locally" on the Surface3?

Also, I tried to install this on a LibreELEC Android box, which I assumed would be a "Linux" install but it failed. So is there no LibreELEC support for this as of yet?

Thanks.
The recordings are stored on whatever device is running the RECORD engine (for example a NAS, or another PC). The list of recordings is populated by asking the SiliconDust web services for the local address of that engine, and then querying the engine. I think the most typical problem here is that discovery process, many people can't use the web services for various reasons (firewalls, etc). There is an option you can try that will use a broadcast discovery on your local network instead to try and find the record engine.

Recent versions have a little discovery check built-in you can run to see if this is the problem. Assuming Kodi Krypton ...

- Go into Settings / PVR & Live TV settings
- On the left-hand list, you should see Client Specific, highlight that
- In the main view, there should be a Client Specific Settings option, click that
- The top option is List Discovered Devices

What you should see here is at least one Tuner device and the "HDHomeRun RECORD" engine listed. If you don't see the RECORD engine, this will be the root of the problem. If that is indeed missing from the list, go into the actual Addon settings (Addons / Addon Browser / My Addons / PVR Clients / HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client / Configure), and under General the first option is "Use network broadcast for device discovery". Enable that and restart Kodi. Cross fingers :)

As far as the LibreELEC system, I'm 99% sure you will want one of the Linux .zip files, but there are 5 to choose from. To know which one you need, we will need to know what the hardware is. If it was an Android box, it's very likely that you want the "armel" package, but there are also Intel x86 / x64 variants, another 32-bit ARM variant (armhf) and a 64-bit ARM variant (aarch64). Which one did you try? If it wasn't "armel", I would try again with that one, otherwise let us know what you've got device-wise and I'm sure we can help you out here.

Let me know!

usafle

Post by usafle »

djp952 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:30 pm
The recordings are stored on whatever device is running the RECORD engine (for example a NAS, or another PC). The list of recordings is populated by asking the SiliconDust web services for the local address of that engine, and then querying the engine. I think the most typical problem here is that discovery process, many people can't use the web services for various reasons (firewalls, etc). There is an option you can try that will use a broadcast discovery on your local network instead to try and find the record engine.

Recent versions have a little discovery check built-in you can run to see if this is the problem. Assuming Kodi Krypton ...

- In the main view, there should be a Client Specific Settings option, click that

What you should see here is at least one Tuner device and the "HDHomeRun RECORD" engine listed. If you don't see the RECORD engine, this will be the root of the problem. If that is indeed missing from the list, go into the actual Addon settings (Addons / Addon Browser / My Addons / PVR Clients / HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client / Configure), and under General the first option is "Use network broadcast for device discovery". Enable that and restart Kodi. Cross fingers :)

As far as the LibreELEC system, I'm 99% sure you will want one of the Linux .zip files, but there are 5 to choose from. To know which one you need, we will need to know what the hardware is. If it was an Android box, it's very likely that you want the "armel" package, but there are also Intel x86 / x64 variants, another 32-bit ARM variant (armhf) and a 64-bit ARM variant (aarch64). Which one did you try? If it wasn't "armel", I would try again with that one, otherwise let us know what you've got device-wise and I'm sure we can help you out here.

Let me know!
Thanks for the detailed response. I played around with the different zip files for the Linux install. A few of them I was getting an error that said:

Can't load shared library (I am paraphrasing, I don't recall the exact error message)

Finally, the one that took was the zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-linux-armhf-krypton-1.2.2.6423.zip That has installed succesfully and seems to be working. For anyone that is interested, the device I'm running LibreELEC on is http://minix.com.hk/en/products/neo-u1 So you will need the above ZIP file to get this PVR Client working on that box.

I've followed your steps on the record engine. I do, in fact, see the HDHomeRun RECORD (followed by a bunch of 0). A reboot of Kodi and the recordings show up.

Time to test this out on my Nexus Player and install it on my main HTPC/Kodi install....

Thanks a lot for the help and assistance!!!

Few more questions:
  • Will this "add - on" Auto Update or I will need to continuously check here for the latest/greatest version?
  • There is a check box for "Stream directly from Tuner" Is that something that should be enabled? Because it's unchecked by default? I tried looking around for documentation of all the settings but can't seem to find any.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

usafle wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:25 am
Few more questions:
  • Will this "add - on" Auto Update or I will need to continuously check here for the latest/greatest version?
  • There is a check box for "Stream directly from Tuner" Is that something that should be enabled? Because it's unchecked by default? I tried looking around for documentation of all the settings but can't seem to find any.
Glad it's working!

Since this is (still) not an official Kodi addon, it's a manual process for updates; I don't currently have any way to auto-update things for you guys. Good thing is that it's been really stable of late, so there aren't likely to be any critical changes on Kodi Krypton. I have to get my butt in gear a little on Leia -- it works, but they added new stuff I think we can take advantage of :)

Stream Directly from Tuner was originally a workaround for a Kodi fork called DSPlayer, what it does is bypass the RECORD engine for Live TV streams and selects a tuner on it's own. There is a downside to this, the timeshifting (seek) capabilities are implemented by the RECORD engine, so you lose that ability with this enabled. Pros: tuning is slightly faster, only uses 1x bandwidth on fully Wifi-based setups ** Cons: No timeshifting capabilities. For a while we had a problem with some channels from the RECORD engine that this would workaround as well, but that's been resolved, I hacked in a way to detect and remove the troublesome data from the stream.

** This tidbit has come up before, and this option actually helps. If your entire setup is Wifi, to watch Live TV from the RECORD engine you need 2x the stream bandwidth, somewhere around 40Mb/s (HD). 20Mb/s is used from the tuner to the RECORD engine, and another 20Mb/s to go from the RECORD engine to Kodi. When this option is turned on, and the RECORD engine isn't recording anything, you only need the 20Mb/s from the tuner to Kodi. I think this is a rare setup, but worth pointing out just in case :mrgreen:

denmonta

Post by denmonta »

I have a problem with skipping forward (or backward) after I paused a Live-TV channel for a while.
It only skips for a few seconds even though I can see that the command is set to skip for 30 seconds or 3 minutes...
It says Seeking 1:00, but only skips for a few seconds.
This only happens on the Live-TV buffer, if I check a previous recording, it skips correctly.
It seems that the add-on does not know how big the Live-TV buffer is.

Here is my environment:
I just installed this add-on on Kodi 17.3 Krypton running on LibreElec 8.02 on Raspberry Pi 3 and 2.
It seems to work great and makes it easy for me to finally transition from my current Windows 7 environment that is not going to be supported in the long run.
I am still running on Windows 7 with WMC as my server and run the PWR WMC Client add-on on my Raspberry Pis.
With the PWR WMC Client, it actually skips correctly. It also shows a bar graph of where we are in the Live-TV buffer.

Is there any tip on how this could be improved.

Of course, I need to say that this add-on is great and it could really help me move away from Win 7.
Thanks for the great work.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

denmonta wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:15 am
I have a problem with skipping forward (or backward) after I paused a Live-TV channel for a while.
It only skips for a few seconds even though I can see that the command is set to skip for 30 seconds or 3 minutes...

Here is my environment:
I just installed this add-on on Kodi 17.3 Krypton running on LibreElec 8.02 on Raspberry Pi 3 and 2.
I had that same problem but I haven't seen it since updating my RPi3 to Kodi 17.4 (LibreELEC 8.1.2).

denmonta

Post by denmonta »

Here is my environment:
I had that same problem but I haven't seen it since updating my RPi3 to Kodi 17.4 (LibreELEC 8.1.2).
Great to hear that it will be fixed with the new LibreElec release.
I looked at LibreElec and 8.1.2 is in Beta right now.
Do you have any issue with it?
I am a bit reluctant to get on the Beta bandwagon...

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

denmonta wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:43 am
Great to hear that it will be fixed with the new LibreElec release.
I looked at LibreElec and 8.1.2 is in Beta right now.
Do you have any issue with it?
I am a bit reluctant to get on the Beta bandwagon...
Is that one beta? It updated itself through Kodi's automatic update. I have 4 RPis so it's hard to keep track of which ones are on what update channel but I checked the version number on that one before posting earlier. Beta or not it's working fine.

denmonta

Post by denmonta »

Is that one beta? It updated itself through Kodi's automatic update. I have 4 RPis so it's hard to keep track of which ones are on what update channel but I checked the version number on that one before posting earlier. Beta or not it's working fine.
I updated to LibreElec 8.1.2 on RPi3 Kodi 17.4 and unfortunately I do not see any improvement in the various skip commands. I have it setup so that from my remote (Logitech 650) when I click on the >>| button it skips 10 seconds, double click is 30 seconds, 3 clicks 1 minute, 4 clicks 3 minutes, 5 clicks 10 minutes. It is quite handy to skip over commercials.
It works fine when the backend is the ServerWMC on my Win7 system, but it does not woek when I use this add-on with my backend/DVR running on a Win10 system. It shows the "Seeking" command with the proper seconds depending on how many clicks, but it only moves around 10 seconds in the Live-TV buffer...
Strange.
Any help would be great as this is a problem for me to switch away from Win7 WMC.
Thanks.

rykr

Post by rykr »

First off let me say thanks to the guys who started this. Good job.

Second, I'm seeing _very_ slow guide data loads both on Windows and Rasp Pi 3 (librelec). it goes quick to like 44% and then it takes like 2-3 seconds to go a single % from then on out. Anyone else seeing this?

denmonta

Post by denmonta »

Second, I'm seeing _very_ slow guide data loads both on Windows and Rasp Pi 3 (librelec). it goes quick to like 44% and then it takes like 2-3 seconds to go a single % from then on out. Anyone else seeing this?
I am seeing the same behavior with my LibreElec RPis as well.
I changed the Settings/PVR & Live TV/Guide/Prevent updates during playback.
I turned it off.
So now even though it is slow, I don't have to wait for it to complete.

I am on Comcast and there are many channels to update (even though I don't use most of them) but I don't see that slowdown when I use my other PVR Client add-on (PWR WMC Client)

rykr

Post by rykr »

denmonta wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:59 am
I am on Comcast and there are many channels to update (even though I don't use most of them) but I don't see that slowdown when I use my other PVR Client add-on (PWR WMC Client)
Right. My tvheadend pvr addon updates the same line up in like 3 seconds.

mtk

Post by mtk »

I recently purchased a "HDHomeRun EXTEND" and one year of "DVR Guide Service. I have the" zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr" addon for Kodi 17.4 configured on a window 7 PC with plans to configure it on (2) andriod tvboxes with Kodi. I have Synology NAS on my network with the "HDHomerun RECORD" configured. Currently I can access the Digital TV channels with the Kodi 17.4 windows 7 PC but the "record service" and "guide service" do not work. The guide is accessible if i use the "HDHomeRun View" app in windows but does not work in Kodi. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

usafle

Post by usafle »

mtk wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:23 am
The guide is accessible if i use the "HDHomeRun View" app in windows but does not work in Kodi. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I had the same issue initially with my Kodi and I'm blatantly copying/pasting the Dev's response to me:

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Wow, lots of new posts sorry for not paying attention guys!

I did want to share a Q/A from the GitHub today, while I'm sure my details are a little wonky in places if anyone else is having audio sync issues after switching channels, here is my kinda/almost/semi accurate explanation:
I've noticed that when changing channels the audio may skip for a little and then stabilize. This issue seems identical what was described in this thread: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=306231
There is both a short and long explanation for this one (of course!)

The SHORT version is: this is a Kodi/ffmpeg concern and there really isn't anything I can do about it in the PVR client.

The LONG version is (caution: will be replete with inaccuracies, hopefully the general gist is accurate enough):

Back in ye olden days TV signals were broadcast using multiple frequencies for the audio and video and they were sent at the same time and in sync. The tuner/receiver would receive both signals simultaneously and convert them to output realtime, so there was never really an issue with synchronization.

Nowadays we have digital video, of course, and it's delivered via a 'multiplexed' stream of bits. There is only one series of 1s and 0s to go around, so what they do is intersperse the video data stream and audio data stream together something like this:

VVVVVAAVVVVVVAAVVVVVAAVVVVVAAVVVVVAA

The receiver/decoder takes the multiplexed data and breaks it apart into separate Video and Audio streams, this is called demultiplexing or 'demuxing' for short.

As part of the stream data, time points (the pts you see mentioned in the Kodi thread) are provided so that the decoder can synchronize the video and audio. An ideal decoder would be able to keep everything in sync all the time for you, but as always nothing is ever ideal :)

What I think is happening here is that the synchronization points aren't included constantly in the data (I think, anyway), and that when you switch to a new stream or seek on the same stream the decoder (ffmpeg in this case) is making a mistake. It may be from a lack of this pts information or it could be a defect in the implementation. When enough information is present, it can resync everything.

My best guess here is that Kodi/ffmpeg is estimating what the sync should be in order to start playback as quickly as possible and the estimation is off. If it's only happening when channels are switched, it could even just be a small glitch in how Kodi is (re)initializing ffmpeg when the stream switches.

Unfortunately for us, all the PVR client does is take the raw multiplexed stream data from the tuner and hands it off to Kodi; all the demultiplexing and synchronization happens outside of the PVR client, so currently there isn't going to be anything I can specifically do. It would be possible to use a custom demuxer rather than relying on Kodi, but that's extremely ambitious and is very likely to be riddled with bugs, the Kodi guys and gals have been doing this a long time now I have little to no confidence I could do something better than what they have.

I think the best bet here is to reply to the thread on Kodi's forums and ensure the problem maintains visibility. I think they upgraded ffmpeg in Kodi 17.4, so it really may just be something simple they can tweak for Kodi 17.5 or 18.0.
So, audio/video sync that self-resolves is almost certain to be something going awry with the demuxer/output. If you are having this problem, I'd love to know but it's extremely unlikely that I will be able to do anything about it.

mtk

Post by mtk »

usafle,
I checked and both the tuner and record are shown in Kodi, but the guide still does not load. See attached screenshots.