Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by djp952 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:12 pm

ssyspro wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:34 pm
djp952, A few versions back I could seek on a recording in progress was not perfect for example 1hr recording and I start playing 23 min. into it I could seek (fast forward through commercials) up to the time I started to play it. With recent versions, I can not seek on a recording in progress at all so if I start playing the 1hr recording at 50min into it I can not fast forward and need to stop playback after recording is finished and restart to use the seek function.

I am using Leia on all my boxes so don't know if other Kodi versions are doing this also but could you look into it and see if it is something that can be fixed?
I tried this on Krypton and Leia tonight (Android and Windows, respectively, and Leia was a build from yesterday). I wasn't able to duplicate this on either platform with the channel(s) I chose to record and then play while in progress yet. Tried them simultaneously, too. I have a thought, though. Leia is different than Krypton in regard to seek -- it limits you from seeking beyond the start or known end of the stream. This was the main delay in getting you guys updated Leia builds in fact. In Krypton you can seek your brains out and it would just go to the start or the end of the stream if you went too far.

What I do right now is actually based on the Jarvis/Krypton time shifting UI support - I keep track of the "PTS" value of an arbitrary elementary stream, the first one I find with PTS, and use that to try and fudge the data Kodi wants based on when you pressed play, the last seen PTS and the current time. There is a built-in trigger to kill all of that off and stop reporting it if any PTS value(s) go wonky - a reduction in the number, for example. Once the trigger fires, none of the data Kodi Leia wants for it's new seek is available anymore and won't be for the life of the stream. I have no way to recover it that I've thought of yet, so disabling it is the safest thing for now.

My guess based on the description and not being able to duplicate the problem is that either Kodi is blocking you from seeking OR the PVR stopped reporting the position data due to a concern (or bug).

If you still have the recording, I'd be interested to know if you can seek around it without problems on Leia after it has been fully recorded. I'm betting yes since it is now a true recorded stream with a known length so the 'realtime' stuff no longer applies.

I'll play around some more and see if I can duplicate the problem.

ddejager

Post by ddejager » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:18 am

OSMC has been reported as having problems with corrupt streams in the past (was this you? sorry if I forgot!!),
Yes, that was me. Thanks for taking a look! I deleted the recording that caused the problem, but if/when I run across another one, I'll make it available to you.

ddejager

Post by ddejager » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:45 am

Probably a Kodi thing that is missing: It sure would be nice if there was a way to show the channel icons in the guide by the channel number and name. They do show up on the Channels screen, but not in the guide. Am I missing a setting to make them show up in the guide?

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:32 pm

ddejager wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:45 am
Probably a Kodi thing that is missing: It sure would be nice if there was a way to show the channel icons in the guide by the channel number and name. They do show up on the Channels screen, but not in the guide. Am I missing a setting to make them show up in the guide?
Yeah, that's the "Estuary" skin, it doesn't show the logos by default. I believe it can be edited to do that, but a link as to how eludes me at the moment. You could try different skins, or depending on how deep in you want to dive, modifying the skin isn't difficult. Tedious, but not difficult. Here is a general "how-to" on that, but it doesn't provide an example for adding the logos to the EPG view:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Estuary_Modification

ssyspro

Post by ssyspro » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:10 pm

If you still have the recording, I'd be interested to know if you can seek around it without problems on Leia after it has been fully recorded. I'm betting yes since it is now a true recorded stream with a known length so the 'realtime' stuff no longer applies.
Yes as expected it works perfectly on completed recordings.

Hardax

Post by Hardax » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:03 pm

Has anyone else noticed, one watching live television where there’s music playing that the speed/tone increases and decreases slightly but noticeably?

djp952

Post by djp952 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:48 pm

Hardax wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:03 pm
Has anyone else noticed, one watching live television where there’s music playing that the speed/tone increases and decreases slightly but noticeably?
This one I can assure you is definitely not the fault of the PVR add-on :) :)

Hardax

Post by Hardax » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:56 am

djp952 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:48 pm
Hardax wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:03 pm
This one I can assure you is definitely not the fault of the PVR add-on :) :)
Yeah I didnt think so but was wondering if I was the only one experiencing it? It happens on my now retired Nvidia Shield and now on my Intel NUC. Wonder if its the SD's record engine as that controls buffered playback doesnt it?

djp952

Post by djp952 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:16 pm

FYI for you guys (since I ghosted you all for like 6 months) … I'm offline for the next few days (8/30-9/1) and will be again from 9/6-9/12. Please don't think I disappeared if you don't get any feedback for things during that timeframe. The 9/6-9/12 week I can probably get online at night to respond to things but won't have any access to Kodi or code, so … pretty useless for the next couple weeks :(

mxlance

Post by mxlance » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:02 am

I have not used my HDHR Connect for almost a year.
With the new SD Premium TV I decided to check it out and your PVR.

I am very impressed with both.
I have not yet signed up for Premium TV or the HDHR DVR service.

I have a question after reading the wiki –
If I understand this correctly I can not schedule a recording on a specific channel at a specific date and time. This was a feature I made regular use of back when I used an Eye TV. Is there a workaround for this. How would you schedule a show to record that does not yet show up in the guide and you do not know the name of the show only the channel, date and time?

Thank You

obliojoe

Post by obliojoe » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:37 am

mxlance wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:02 am
How would you schedule a show to record that does not yet show up in the guide and you do not know the name of the show only the channel, date and time?
This is a known issue I believe due to the way the hdhomerun record engine works. The author has considered building in a workaround but it would be a bit kludgey. Search around this forum topic and you'll see what he discussed.

obliojoe

Post by obliojoe » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:44 am

I realize the author is offline for a bit but I'm interested to see if anyone else has run into this...

I have a Samsung Galaxy View android tablet that is so great for Kodi. But the pvr plugin plays video on slow motion. Audio is normal but the video is reaalllllyyyy sloooooow. If I use the official hdhomerun app or the official hdhomerun kodi add on, it works great.

Also, this only happens with live TV streams. Recorded shows work okay.

Any thoughts?
obe

danielwlewis

Post by danielwlewis » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:36 pm

Having trouble getting the record engine to work with this PVR client:
  • I downloaded and installed the PVR add-on and am able to view live TV from my HDHomeRun Quatro - including the demo Premium channels.
  • Purchased the DVR license from SiliconDust and associated it with my HDHomeRun Quatro.
  • Did a "manual" install of the SiliconDust record engine on my NAS (NAS4Free, now known as "XigmaNAS").
  • Issued the command "hdhomerun_record start" to start the record engine. There were no error or warning messages in the log file it created, and the System Status shown on the HDHomeRun RECORD webpage correctly lists the Record Path, Search Path, IP address and Free Space. HOWEVR: The "Storage ID" field is blank and the DVR does NOT appear on http://my.hdhomerun.com. (The Quatro does.)
  • Tried to record from Live TV. The KODI (Actually LibreElec) interface shows the red dot in the guide, indicating that it is recording, but no recordings appear in the NAS recording directory and no recording is listed in KODI.
  • No new entries were created in the log file of the record engine other than the entries created when the engine was started.
Edit: Solved most of the problem. Did something (not sure what) that made the DVR show up in my.hdhomerun.com. Also had the wrong owner and group settings on the hdhomerun_record executable. Duh.... Can now see the files and folders being created in the NAS when watching or recording TV. Still a few odd behavioral issues, but need to have more time to get used to the way it works before I know for sure.

Dan
Last edited by danielwlewis on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:34 pm

obliojoe wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:37 am
mxlance wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:02 am
How would you schedule a show to record that does not yet show up in the guide and you do not know the name of the show only the channel, date and time?
This is a known issue I believe due to the way the hdhomerun record engine works. The author has considered building in a workaround but it would be a bit kludgey. Search around this forum topic and you'll see what he discussed.
That is correct. Currently I am limited to matching a timer (recording) request with a specific series (optionally on a specific channel at a specific date and time), but there is no way to ask the HDHomeRun DVR to just blindly record a channel at a specific date and time.

The aforementioned kludge would be to use the EPG to figure out what series would be recorded to satisfy the request on that channel at that time, but it would still record by series -- if your request spanned multiple programs, you'd end up with multiple recordings. Not ideal.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:38 pm

obliojoe wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:44 am
I realize the author is offline for a bit but I'm interested to see if anyone else has run into this...

I have a Samsung Galaxy View android tablet that is so great for Kodi. But the pvr plugin plays video on slow motion. Audio is normal but the video is reaalllllyyyy sloooooow. If I use the official hdhomerun app or the official hdhomerun kodi add on, it works great.

Also, this only happens with live TV streams. Recorded shows work okay.

Any thoughts?
obe
Interesting. The PVR doesn't actually do any decoding of the video, it just passes it onto Kodi as-is. The main difference I can think of is the timeshifting/seek ability. If by official Kodi addon you mean the "pvr.hdhomerun" addon Kodi ships, it actually also sends the data to Kodi the same way.

Can you try changing the addon "Advanced" setting "Stream Live TV channels directly from tuner device(s)" to ON to see if it makes a difference? This will get the stream directly from the tuners like the "pvr.hdhomerun" addon does. It would eliminate a lot of things from the list of possibilities.