Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by Ken.F »

xnappo wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:51 am
I searched the thread but couldn't find the answer - I am sure it is here somewhere.

If I back up my userdata directory, uninstall official, install the unofficial, then restore userdata will that work without having to re-setup everything?

Thanks,
xnappo
You can leave the official Silicondust DVR add-on installed if you want. It doesn't interfere with the unofficial PVR add-on.

I'm not sure what OS you are using but LibreELEC has a built in backup. It works great. If you are doing it manually you may want to read the Kodi Backup Wiki:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Backup

xnappo

Post by xnappo »

Sorry, left out critical information in my question. I am of a ShieldTV, so when talking about uninstalling I mean the Kodi APK. Will try a backup and see..

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

numus wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:55 pm
Ken.F wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:26 pm
airdrummer wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:47 am
ah, thx, got it...need a faq on this

nutz, installed zip via gui, entered sadface loop:-( deleted ~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/pvr.hdhomerundvr per instructions, but it keeps coming back:-\

so how do i get out of that loop again? need the faq
What is a sadface loop?
Have had it on OSMC a couple times... basically when the system crashes you get a blue screen with a sadface... Then the system reboots just to crash against with the blue screen with a sadface.
What hardware and OSMC version are you running on, I keep hearing about this but have never been able to reproduce this problem. I have an RPi 3 here, and I use the "linux-armhf" variant of the PVR client on it. I would *LOVE* to fix this for you, I really would. It really bugs me that some people are ending up in this state!!

ddejager

Post by ddejager »

@djp952: Wanted to followup on two issues:
1) the sad face blue screen that I get in OSMC with a recording that is slightly corrupted. (Recall it plays in all tools and ways on Firestick or on OSMC except via PVR Client.) After a month with no reponse I PM Sam Nazarko. He replied saying "Sorry seems to be Pi specific bug". I asked "Does that mean I need to work around or it might take longer to get fixed?". I never received a reply. :-(

2) I finally took the time to enable the full logging and was able duplicate the issue where the guide data goes blank and does not come back until I reboot OSMC or until I clear the guide data in settings. Then it refreshes successfully. you can find the kodi.log file for this case here: https://paste.osmc.tv/jijuhoyuya

Recall that in my case the HDHomeRun tuner is on the other end of a wireless link. Perhaps once every five or ten days that link get a hiccup on it where the tuner is not available for a short time. What I did to simulate this was to disable the link to the HDHomeRun tuner for a short time and the reenable it. Here is my timeline of observations:
15:26 - disable HDHomeRun link
15:40 - check guide in Kodi--no data or channels visible
15:42 - reenable HDHomeRun link
15:42 - check guide in Kodi -- no data or channels visible
15:44 - check guide in Kodi -- channels now visible, but all guide data is blank
15:55 - check guide in Kodi -- channels visible, but but all guide data is blank
15:56 - clear guide data in Kodi
15:57 - check guide in Kodi -- channels and guide visible again

So it seems like once there is an intermittent failure to find the HDHomeRun device when trying to refresh things, the guide data will never come back until KODI is restared or guide data cleared.

By the way your Verbose Data transfer log really is huge...it got to over 10 Mbytes in about 20 hours. Even your normal logging seems rather verbose...in my case it got to about 1 Mbyte in about 5 days....most of the messages were from the PVR Client...I wonder that could be toned down a bit?

Thanks, in advance for looking at this.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Aha! We have the missing clue! NOW I know what's happening, you're actually running into this little gem of a problem:

https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... -restarted

Here's what's going on, I'm sure of it. The periodic device scan isn't able to find any tuner(s) when your Wifi drops out for a bit. When the devices are deleted from the database, all the channels go away too. There is a lineup change (removed channels), so I tell Kodi "hey, ask me for channels". It does, none are returned, Kodi deletes them all. The tuner(s) come back, the channels come back, and I tell Kodi "key, ask me for channels". It does, it recreates all of the channels BUT ... Kodi won't ask for Guide data on newly added channels. (Something I hope they correct in Leia).

I think we can solve this pretty easily, let me know what you think about this: I can add an option to disable tuner/lineup discovery outside of the one that occurs during Kodi startup. The downside is that there will be no dynamic add/remove for tuners/channels, but I'm betting that you won't mind that one bit at this point :)

As for the logging, geez, I said it was verbose! LOL. You can turn that off now, we don't need it. The regular logging is too verbose for your tastes as well? OK, I can do something about that too. It's very handy to have, but I understand -- I'll work on changing it around to be a logging verbosity slider or something - "Errors only, standard stuff, crazy overly verbose stuff". Probably 2 releases away, that will take some time ...

Wish there was more I could do for you on the OSMC thing, I reinstalled 2018.01.09 this morning to try and find out what the deal with the reported bootloop is, but it still works for me. While I have it set up I'll send your recording through again and see if I can come up with something (low chances)

I was working on the next release (1.2.9) to be pretty minor, I'm trimming down my canned libcurl libraries to just be HTTP to reduce dependencies on Linux and compile it from source on Windows (for Leia UWP, assuming that will ever work), but I can finish that up and get you the option you need ASAP. Maybe even tonight, but more likely later in the week.

BY JOVE I THINK WE FOUND IT

ddejager

Post by ddejager »

I'd be happy to have no dynamic channel or tuner discovery except with kodi restarts. I think such an option would be a great one for me and in general I don't think that channels and tuners come and go very often.

I was thinking of trying libreELEC to see if that has the same bug that OSMC has when viewing a corrupted video through the PVR Client. You also mentioned that once. Did you try it to see if it "fixes" (works around) the problem of the sad face blue screen?

And thanks for considering a logging level slider...I suspect that on small storage devices that are left on that might also be useful.

Fuzzard

Post by Fuzzard »

@djp952

You should be able to use TriggerEpgUpdate to request an epg lineup refresh. It only does a given channel, but you could just loop through your channel lineup calling this for each channel i believe. Its available in 17 according to kodi dev docs below, and is there in 18. Ive only used it in 18, so cant verify its behaviour for 17.

https://codedocs.xyz/xbmc/xbmc/class_c_ ... 8d63bd1910

An example from my testing. I used it with menuhooks to force a guide refresh.
https://github.com/fuzzard/pvr.hdhomeru ... s.cpp#L411

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Fuzzard wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:39 pm
@djp952

You should be able to use TriggerEpgUpdate to request an epg lineup refresh. It only does a given channel, but you could just loop through your channel lineup calling this for each channel i believe. Its available in 17 according to kodi dev docs below, and is there in 18. Ive only used it in 18, so cant verify its behaviour for 17.

https://codedocs.xyz/xbmc/xbmc/class_c_ ... 8d63bd1910

An example from my testing. I used it with menuhooks to force a guide refresh.
https://github.com/fuzzard/pvr.hdhomeru ... s.cpp#L411
I used to use that, but in Krypton it can cause weird deadlocks to occur (many many posts about this in the old thread - I have it written down somewhere exactly what two Kodi threads deadlock), and it didn't solve the underlying problem of new channels not getting EPG data. Internally in Krypton (this may have indeed changed in Leia), the only time an internal Kodi EPG structure would be created for a channel is during startup. Triggering the EPG update had no effect because the underlying data for the channel was missing inside Kodi.

I learned the hard way that TriggerEpgUpdate is bad, at least for this implementation. It was far far better to let Kodi ask for the data. YMMV of course!

I really appreciate the tip, though - I don't mean to sound dismissive :)

djp952

Post by djp952 »

ddejager wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:23 pm
I'd be happy to have no dynamic channel or tuner discovery except with kodi restarts. I think such an option would be a great one for me and in general I don't think that channels and tuners come and go very often.

I was thinking of trying libreELEC to see if that has the same bug that OSMC has when viewing a corrupted video through the PVR Client. You also mentioned that once. Did you try it to see if it "fixes" (works around) the problem of the sad face blue screen?

And thanks for considering a logging level slider...I suspect that on small storage devices that are left on that might also be useful.
I'm 99% sure LibreELEC was fine with playback of the corrupt recordings, I tested that for you a while back. No problems at all IIRC.

usafle

Post by usafle »

I know this is WAY off topic, but does anyone here have any experience in installing the record engine into unRAID? I've just built myself my first "NAS" and would like to transfer the recording from my HTPC Win10 to my new unRAID.
I thought I was able to get it working last night but I guess I wasn't close. Figured I'd see if anyone here knew how?

anguyen

Post by anguyen »

usafle wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:49 am
I know this is WAY off topic, but does anyone here have any experience in installing the record engine into unRAID? I've just built myself my first "NAS" and would like to transfer the recording from my HTPC Win10 to my new unRAID.
I thought I was able to get it working last night but I guess I wasn't close. Figured I'd see if anyone here knew how?
I use this docker with unRAID: https://lime-technology.com/forums/topi ... -20171221/
You can't install through Community Applications, so you have to add Yoshiofthewire's docker repository. I created a share called "recordings" and mapped "/mnt/user/recordings" to "/hdhomerun" in the container configuration. I imagine you could then just copy all of the recordings from your Win10 box to the recordings share on unRAID. I can't remember if this is required or not, but I also configured this container for "Host" networking and turned on "Privileged"

usafle

Post by usafle »

anguyen wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:54 am
I use this docker with unRAID: https://lime-technology.com/forums/topi ... -20171221/
You can't install through Community Applications, so you have to add Yoshiofthewire's docker repository. I created a share called "recordings" and mapped "/mnt/user/recordings" to "/hdhomerun" in the container configuration. I imagine you could then just copy all of the recordings from your Win10 box to the recordings share on unRAID. I can't remember if this is required or not, but I also configured this container for "Host" networking and turned on "Privileged"
Yup, that's the same exact one I found through C.A. (used the "Whale" to find it). How did you get the record engine to point to the NAS though? That's where I am getting hung up on. I have the HDHomeRUN installed on the Win10 machine and tried to change the location that way but no joy.

Thanks!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

A few status updates:

I was playing around with the new Universal App version of Kodi for Xbox/Windows 10/etc tonight and managed to get a functional version of it by playing the same game I play on Android APKs: pull the .APPX apart, put it back together again with the add-on preinstalled, re-sign the package - viola - it actually works! NOTE: On Windows 10 x64 at least, the Store version is notably slower overall.

So this is kinda good news in that the code changes I made to support the Universal application are good, but it's still kinda bad news because like on Android this is an awful way to do things. We'll see. From what I can tell there isn't a good way for a true Universal App to load DLLs from outside it's package, but this is Windows -- there is usually a way if you look deep enough :)

Other thing I was looking at was adding the option to disable the tuners/lineups discovery except on initial startup, but without just a big hack it needs a little finesse to be 'done right'. I have to take some stuff apart and put it back together a different way, so maybe another 2-3 days, depending on my free time. The automatic (re)discovery of things periodically is kind of a core feature, and I lump all devices (tuners and record engine) into one 'device' bucket, so I have to go through them all and reorganize how that's done. Easy enough, just need some time.

Still nothing on the OSMC sad face bootloop, still can't make my RPi do that.

numus

Post by numus »

djp952 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:12 pm
numus wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:55 pm
Ken.F wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:26 pm

What is a sadface loop?
Have had it on OSMC a couple times... basically when the system crashes you get a blue screen with a sadface... Then the system reboots just to crash against with the blue screen with a sadface.
What hardware and OSMC version are you running on, I keep hearing about this but have never been able to reproduce this problem. I have an RPi 3 here, and I use the "linux-armhf" variant of the PVR client on it. I would *LOVE* to fix this for you, I really would. It really bugs me that some people are ending up in this state!!
RPI2 with OSMC using whatever pvr download says OSMC. hoenstly it isnt just the PVR that does it, it is anytime kodi crashes it does this

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Post by NYPlayer »

One thing I noticed about this plugin it shows Currently Recording even though it is not. This happens when re-runs of shows you already have recorded are scheduled.