(OLD) Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Postby djp952 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:28 pm

Sounds perfect. Blathering sometimes helps me think too :) I'm very happy to be the guinea pig. Running on Windows 10 Pro x64 with all the latest updates (Fall Creator's, 1709, etc.). The HW is the 7th gen NUC (NUC7i5BNK). Kodi is 17, PVR client is v1.2.7.

Thanks! Agreed that even if the buffering is problematic, at least it would give us some thoughts on where to look next.
Your wish is my command. Building now with a forced FALSE for the realtime indicator. Will PM you a link to the file ...

sfb103

Postby sfb103 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:24 pm

Dude, you did it! Couldn't wait to try so got right to it. The results... streaming from RECORD, with timeshifting enabled... I now get full DD5.1. You rock!

Personally, I didn't notice any issue with the buffering at all. I almost want to say it seemed better than when I was running with stock v1.2.7! (though maybe I was just so thrilled it was working, I wasn't being real objective). If there's any specific tests you want me to run to try and expose any buffering impacts, let me know. Otherwise, so far so good! Obviously I'll continue to bang on it and report back. For now, I can say I finally have a FULLY FUNCTIONAL WMC replacement (yay!).

Thanks Again

djp952

Postby djp952 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:46 pm

Dude, you did it! Couldn't wait to try so got right to it. The results... streaming from RECORD, with timeshifting enabled... I now get full DD5.1. You rock!

Personally, I didn't notice any issue with the buffering at all. I almost want to say it seemed better than when I was running with stock v1.2.7! (though maybe I was just so thrilled it was working, I wasn't being real objective). If there's any specific tests you want me to run to try and expose any buffering impacts, let me know. Otherwise, so far so good! Obviously I'll continue to bang on it and report back. For now, I can say I finally have a FULLY FUNCTIONAL WMC replacement (yay!).

Thanks Again
Wow, OK ... that's easy enough to make permanent for you. I will add a setting to disable reporting of realtime streams! I guess incessant blathering works after all (my mom would be so proud - lol).

As long as it keeps working, feel free to use that version -- none of the extra changes you got should be detrimental. I'm working on getting OSX integrated into the master Windows-based build (a serious pain), but other than finishing up that one new setting I mentioned in the PM, that should be about it for the next version. Consider yourself the recipient of a new 'Advanced' setting :) Perhaps I shall call it the "enable_sfb103_fix" in the code! Woot!

I should have v1.2.8 out sometime around Christmas, or shortly after.

sfb103

Postby sfb103 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:34 pm

Nice, sounds good! :) Really I should pay you back with pull requests. No promises, but maybe over Christmas break I'll try cloning your repo and see what I can do. I've been a developer for going on 20yrs now, but never done any work with Kodi.

sfb103

Postby sfb103 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:10 pm

BTW, should mention I've dockerized the RECORD engine to make it easier to deploy my by Ubuntu server. Not sure if that's of interest, but it was pretty easy to do if anyone has interest in using the engine that way.

am4c130d

Postby am4c130d » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:17 pm

Hi, I'm running 1.2.7 PVR client on LibreELEC and have an HDHR Prime. Everything is working (very) well, other than two problems which are more aesthetic/user experience than a major issue.

When I open the Timers page, I see the timers that are up to 3 weeks old before I get to the current or future timers. Typically, the series name is the same for all of these old timers. Why are they present, how can I eliminate them?

My second issue I cannot see any episode information on the future timers - is that planned, or a fundamental limitation?

Thanks

djp952

Postby djp952 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi, I'm running 1.2.7 PVR client on LibreELEC and have an HDHR Prime. Everything is working (very) well, other than two problems which are more aesthetic/user experience than a major issue.

When I open the Timers page, I see the timers that are up to 3 weeks old before I get to the current or future timers. Typically, the series name is the same for all of these old timers. Why are they present, how can I eliminate them?

My second issue I cannot see any episode information on the future timers - is that planned, or a fundamental limitation?

Thanks
Hi! Glad to hear everything is working well!!

Timers are ... weird. As you noted, the view is read-only due to "the best I could do" on these, the way HDHomeRun DVR recording rules work and how Kodi deals with Timers and Timer Rules are pretty different. Rather than go into too much detail, if you haven't read my feeble attempt at an explanation it may be worth a quick read: https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... imer-Rules

All the information you see in Timers comes from a secondary backend query to request information about specific Episodes of any Series that has a recording rule (Kodi: Timer Rule) set up. The data contains a flag indicating that it is associated with an active recording rule, which is what I use to populate Timers (I really wish there was a way to query the HDHomeRun RECORD engine for an accurate list of what it plans to do!). That's where all the metadata like the Plot and Title and whatnot come from too. Let me have a look at if I'm overly restricting that, perhaps it's been broken since the "Full Guide" switchover back in v1.2.0? It used to be based on the length of time you have the Guide set to in Kodi, so if you had "3 days" set, it should get info for and create Timer entries for 3 days worth of episodes.

I can also look at what's going on with showing Timers from the past, that certainly isn't the intention. Kodi caches them, but changes to the Episode data *should* be triggering Kodi to ask for new Timers. I'll look at that trigger to make sure it's still operating as intended, and probably also need to add a filter to prevent sending Kodi anything with an End Time value in the past.

I'll see what I can do -- thank you for the feedback!

edit: Quick question -- do the old Timers all say "Completed" in Kodi?

djp952

Postby djp952 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:48 pm

I found and have fixed a bug regarding the stale/completed Timers showing up. What was happening here is that if a series still has a valid recording rule (Kodi: Timer Rule) but no data was returned from querying the episode information, the old episode data was not being purged from the database. This leads to the condition where (possibly very) old timers show up as "Completed".

I haven't found anything bad with the episode synopsis information yet, but it's worth noting that I found out that Kodi doesn't care what you set for a field called "Summary" when adding timers and it always generates it's own. I was previously passing the plot synopsis, which has been removed since it didn't actually do anything.

The synopsis comes from the Guide data, I tell Kodi the channel, start time, and end time, and it links it up with the EPG to produce the synopsis. If there is no guide data for the channel(s) affected, it won't show anything. This should be working right from what I can tell, if there is EPG data available at those dates/times, you should see the plot summary.

Are you only seeing missing metadata for the (now fixed?) Timers?

Anyway, the stale Timers should be taken care of in v1.2.8, just as soon as I can get it ready for you guys and gals :)

am4c130d

Postby am4c130d » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:35 am

Thanks for the speedy response.

The issue regarding old/stale timers corresponds with your description - now I look at it with your description, I only see the issue with shows which have an active recording rule, but nothing in the future to be recorded. To verify, I did a new install on another PC and the stale timers were not there, i.e. it only showed recordings that were coming up.

With regard to the episode information in the timer info - I have full EPG and it shows the episode summary, but not the season and episode number (not sure if it can, that would be really useful as well), it also shows which shows are to be recorded (and from memory, when they are in process), the history doesn't go back far enough to show the stale timers and if they show "completed". This may be a non-problem, as it may be Kodi preventing anything being shown under timer info.

I look forward to 1.2.8, thanks!

pb_cymru
Device ID: 123144C7; 12319BB4

Postby pb_cymru » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:45 pm

I'd like to invite anyone watching this thread that is using Kodi 17.x on Mac OSX to try a test version of the PVR client for that platform. It's not on the GitHub site yet, I'm still working on the details (I've had a Mac for a grand total of 24 hours now and have never used one before)

https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... 7.6559.zip
edit: link changed; OneDrive link died

In theory it should work for 64-bit Intel-based OSX versions from 10.7 (Lion) through 10.13 (High Sierra), but I've only tried it on High Sierra.

I have a couple hopefully non-consequential things to work out with it, and it was all built and packaged by hand -- I have many handwritten notes to transcribe :mrgreen: It does appear to work, though, and since I know nothing about OSX I could really use the help with testing it out.

Let me know - especially interested if it works with older versions of OSX.
I tried this out earlier and for the most part it seems to work quite well (OSX High Sierra). Main issues/queries:
1. Channels are quite slow to start - appear initially with no audio and then freezes before counter appears eventually starting to play with audio after about 4-5 seconds.
2. Unable to rewind/skip backwards in LiveTV. Skip forward/FF from pause seems to work though if you catch up with live feed it closes LiveTV and returns to guide.
3. Recording - how does this integrate with recordings set via HDHomeRun app? Are recordings still handled by the app or by the Kodi PVR? There seem to be duplicate entries for series recordings in the upcoming timer list?

djp952

Postby djp952 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:38 pm

Thanks for the speedy response.

The issue regarding old/stale timers corresponds with your description - now I look at it with your description, I only see the issue with shows which have an active recording rule, but nothing in the future to be recorded. To verify, I did a new install on another PC and the stale timers were not there, i.e. it only showed recordings that were coming up.

With regard to the episode information in the timer info - I have full EPG and it shows the episode summary, but not the season and episode number (not sure if it can, that would be really useful as well), it also shows which shows are to be recorded (and from memory, when they are in process), the history doesn't go back far enough to show the stale timers and if they show "completed". This may be a non-problem, as it may be Kodi preventing anything being shown under timer info.

I look forward to 1.2.8, thanks!
The lack of Season/Episode information is a UI limitation, I believe the older Confluence skin used to show that. BUT: I played around with something I think you'll like here, I liked it and intend to turn it on myself. I added an option to prepend the Season/Episode string to the episode name when sending over EPG information. Existing EPG entries won't be updated, but any new ones loaded will have this information added (if you turn on the option, of course).

It's in v1.2.8, which I'm trying to push out tonight. Tomorrow at the latest :)

djp952

Postby djp952 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:45 pm

I tried this out earlier and for the most part it seems to work quite well (OSX High Sierra). Main issues/queries:
1. Channels are quite slow to start - appear initially with no audio and then freezes before counter appears eventually starting to play with audio after about 4-5 seconds.
2. Unable to rewind/skip backwards in LiveTV. Skip forward/FF from pause seems to work though if you catch up with live feed it closes LiveTV and returns to guide.
3. Recording - how does this integrate with recordings set via HDHomeRun app? Are recordings still handled by the app or by the Kodi PVR? There seem to be duplicate entries for series recordings in the upcoming timer list?
1 and 2 feel like network or RECORD engine performance concerns. Where is the RECORD engine located and how is the Mac connecting to it (Wifi, 100Mb/s, 1000Mb/s)? What kind of hardware are you on. NOTE: I am in no way a Mac person, but these details may help. Getting the Kodi logs would probably reveal more evidence, of course.

3. Everything is handled by the HDHomeRun RECORD engine, this PVR client doesn't record anything on it's own, nor does Kodi for that matter. Any recordings set in either place (Kodi or HDHomeRun App) will be viewable from either.

4. This is kinda how it works, the Timers view is for the most part like the tab in the HDHomeRun app that shows you all the things that might be recorded if they match a recording rule. Sadly we currently have no control to interrogate the RECORD engine to see what it will actually record, so this is a "best I could do" scenario. I invite you to read through the "Timers and Timer Rules" wiki page, I tried to explain the weirdness there: https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... imer-Rules

I'm getting the next release (v1.2.8) ready tonight, which formalizes the MacOS support. It's using a different compiler than the pre-release version and cleaned up a few things. Would you mind installing that version when it's ready to see if anything changes for you? I imagine it won't be appreciably different, but it's worth a shot :)

djp952

Postby djp952 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:06 pm

Happy Holidays everyone!!

Version 1.2.8 (2017.12.29)
  • Update zlib library to version 1.2.11
  • Update cURL library to version 7.57.0
  • Add "Prepend season/episode number to episode name in EPG" setting
  • Add "Enable verbose data transfer logs" advanced setting
  • (Krypton) Add "Disable reporting of real-time MPEG-TS streams" advanced setting
  • Fix logging of HTTP request errors that occurred during multi-step database queries
  • Fix bug causing "Trigger recording discovery immediately after playback" to be applied to "Use network broadcast for device discovery" until restart
  • Fix bug causing stale Timers to appear in Kodi if a series with a valid recording rule has no episode information on the backend
  • (OSX) Initial release for Apple OSX x86_64
Downloads:
https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... /Downloads

Leia preview builds are not yet available, there was a breaking change in the PVR API today (2017.12.29) that needs adjustments in the code. I hope to deliver that to you guys in the next day or two.

As usual, Wiki documentation for new/changed functionality is lagging behind. I still need to document the new EDL stuff from v1.2.7 ...

This turned out to be a pretty big release. Some fixes, some enhancements, and a couple 'big deals'. Let's start with the 'big deals':

Big Deals:

- Apple OSX x86_64 [64-bit Intel chips] is now supported! THANK YOU for the feedback here to get this moving. My resources to test are very limited, and I expect at least a few problems to pop up, but it's always cool to be able to support a new platform. Who knows, maybe iOS/darwin is next ...

- For the tinkerers/DIYers/developers, I've made some sweeping changes to the build process to allow folks to just build the platforms they want and avoid installing all sorts of crazy dependencies if platforms like Android or OSX aren't in their interest. Check out the updated README.md files on GitHub: (Jarvis) https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... /README.md (Krypton) https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... /README.md

Fixes:

- This fixes a long standing problem where HTTP request errors that occur gathering many types of backend data were not logged very well, typically you'd see a very generic "SQL Error" in the logs. Now we should get the actual error message, which is quite handy for troubleshooting.

- This fixes a bug with a new setting added in v1.2.7 - "Trigger recording discovery immediately after playback". Due to what amounts to a careless typo, if you changed that setting it would be erroneously applied to the "Use network broadcast for device discovery" setting until you restarted Kodi. After a restart, the settings were applied properly.

- This fixes a bug in the logic used to populate the Kodi Timers. If you had a Timer Rule for a series but there were no episodes of that series scheduled in the near future, any existing Timers for that series would not be deleted, they would instead show as "Completed" and stick around in the Kodi UI. The fix takes into account that there may not be any upcoming episodes and deletes the Timers appropriately.

Enhancements:

- There is a new General setting called "Prepend season/episode number to episode name in EPG". If enabled, this will prepend the Season number and Episode number to the episode title you see in the EPG and Timers sections of Kodi. For example, you may now see "S02E20 - Best episode ever" as opposed to just "Best episode ever". If there is no Season/Episode data for that EPG entry, it will remain as just the episode name. Note that this only works for NEW entries, anything you already have in the guide won't change. You can force a guide refresh from PVR & Live TV Settings / Guide / Clear Data.

- There is a new Advanced setting called "Enable verbose data transfer logs". This setting turns on very verbose logging of data being sent to Kodi: Channels, Channel Groups, Channel Group Members, EPG Entries, Recordings, and Timers. The intent is to provide a way to help troubleshoot a specific problem reported multiple times wherein Kodi seems to stop asking for EPG data. Turning this option on will log when Kodi is asking for these things, and what the PVR client is responding with.

- There is a new Advanced setting called "Disable reporting of real-time MPEG-TS streams", which is applicable to Krypton only. This option turns off reporting of a real-time stream (Live TV, Recorded TV that is in progress) to Kodi. Turning this option on will cause Kodi to buffer when starting a live stream, BUT it solves a problem with audio track selection. Kodi is/was timing out trying to lock onto 5.1 streams for some folks, this option should clear that up, if you can deal with the side-effects.

As always, thank you for your support and feedback. It may never be 'done' and it may never be 'perfect', but each time you guys/gals let me know about something that isn't working right for you or pass on a suggestion on how to improve things, we all benefit. I am absolutely turning on that new "Prepend season/episode number to episode name in EPG" setting -- I really like it, and would have never thought to do it without feedback :)

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

am4c130d

Postby am4c130d » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:11 am

The lack of Season/Episode information is a UI limitation, I believe the older Confluence skin used to show that. BUT: I played around with something I think you'll like here, I liked it and intend to turn it on myself. I added an option to prepend the Season/Episode string to the episode name when sending over EPG information. Existing EPG entries won't be updated, but any new ones loaded will have this information added (if you turn on the option, of course).

It's in v1.2.8, which I'm trying to push out tonight. Tomorrow at the latest :)
Love the changes you made to the EPG to show Season/Episode - it appears in the timer info and is exactly what I was looking for - thanks! I cheated and cleared all the EPG data to get it in the existing entries. Thank you.

djp952

Postby djp952 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:18 pm

v1.2.8 for Kodi 18 "Leia" preview (2017.12.29 nightlies or newer) is now available. The seek bar for Live TV is hopelessly broken and it still crashes Kodi a lot on install/updates but things generally appear to be working.

Team Kodi appears to be in the process of making some sweeping changes to how stream positions are reported, they removed all the functions from the PVR API that reported that information. I would expect things to be a little wonky for a while :) I know where the bug is that's causing the install/update to crash, I really need to sit down and send them a pull request to fix that. I don't think their automated tests go through a PVR addon install/update since other than this one (and maybe a couple others?) since they are all built-in, so it's likely they really don't know about this particular bug.

Anyway, it's out there if you want it - caveat emptor!

https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... leia-1.2.8

Return to “Kodi Community Development”