(OLD) Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

xnappo

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by xnappo »

Hi,

First - thank you for the excellent plugin. So far the best way to make use of the HDHomeRun.

Just one question - I am sorry if this is covered in the docs.

Where does the live buffer get stored? Is it being stored on my local device (Nexus Player with an iffy micro->USB hub) or does it automatically get stored on my RECORD machine?

xnappo

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

xnappo wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:45 am
Hi,

First - thank you for the excellent plugin. So far the best way to make use of the HDHomeRun.

Just one question - I am sorry if this is covered in the docs.

Where does the live buffer get stored? Is it being stored on my local device (Nexus Player with an iffy micro->USB hub) or does it automatically get stored on my RECORD machine?

xnappo
The live buffer will be on the system hosting the RECORD engine. Using this PVR Client doesn't store anything locally at all except for a small database file to keep track of all the channels, recordings, etc.

That's one of the things I like the best about SD's solution here, you can use a trivially thin client like an Android phone or a Raspberry Pi or an Amazon FireStick just as effectively as a big Core i7 with 4TB of disk space!

xnappo

Post by xnappo »

djp952 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:07 am
The live buffer will be on the system hosting the RECORD engine. Using this PVR Client doesn't store anything locally at all except for a small database file to keep track of all the channels, recordings, etc.
Great! Thanks so much for the fast reply. I have been trying all sorts of solutions for clean playback and so far your addon has been the most stable for me over the weekend. Usually things go sideways when I am at work at my wife is using it though - so wanted to make sure I know the variables before heading into the workweek :)

xnappo

MatthewLundberg

Post by MatthewLundberg »

djp952 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:56 pm
RockerC wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:18 am
@djp952, any comments for Matthew Lundberg posts here about additional new features and alternative fork:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=319881

He too has a fork of the original HDHomeRun PVR client addon and he is now trying to get some features submitted upstream:

https://github.com/MatthewLundberg/pvr.hdhomerun

Unfortunely it sounds as if the original PVR client addon developer have practically abandonded the project?
I've spoken to Matt a number of times, actually. He's a cool guy and has a lot more ambition than I do. IIRC the original PVR addon developer kind of shot him down about those changes, which wasn't very cool -- Matt put a lot of effort into that stuff and was just trying to enhance the experience for everyone.

I'm not sure what the status of the official PVR addon is at this time, but it does seem to have stagnated for a while. If the original developer has lost interest in the project, I think it would be nice if s/he turned it over to someone like Matt to move it forward.

I also think he keeps an eye on my repo, at least looks from time to time, so anything truly cool this one does I would expect Matt's to be a step up -- I'm hoping he can give you guys some of the features that I've declined to implement!
I certainly do look at your code occasionally, unfortunately not in the past few months, so I'm behind and will need to catch up with what you've been up to.

I might want to support recording outside of SD's software, but the PVR layer doesn't seem to be the right place for this, mainly because Kodi isn't a service. The way SD handles it is right -- use the PVR to instruct the service what to do. That's also what WMC does, I think. WMC doesn't need to be running for it to be recording, so at least it acts that way. I know nothing of the WMC internals.

The reason that I wrote the code that I did, is that the Kodi native PVR does not play well with other software. I use WMC to record, and Kodi to either play back the recordings or to view live TV. When I view live TV, I don't want to see each entry three times, and I also would prefer that it not use the devices that WMC is configured to use (the fix to make each channel show up once, without a complete refactor, also makes each channel only receivable from a single device, chosen at random at startup). Apparently there aren't many people with multiple HDR devices, or there would be far more complaints are the current implementation in Kodi. It's extremely annoying.

I might look at recording in the future. It's not a huge priority for me at this time, since WMC does almost what I want it to do. Eventually that will change and WMC will do nothing that I want it to do, and then I may subscribe to SD's service rather than write my own. And then I may go with the PVR described in this thread rather than my own.

However, there is one feature that I am working on now, which may change my feelings about that. This feature is legacy device support. These legacy devices are available on the bay for about $50 shipped, but are not supported by SD's recorder, viewer, or the current Kodi PVR. They can be made to work, and it's not really all that hard, using the SD API to configure the tuner to send a UDP unicast stream, rather than the DLNA URL. And of course this stream could be recorded to disk. The RF performance of the new hardware is a bit better (I get more channels), but the legacy box might be enough for a lot of people.

One feature that I want, is to record a show if it's on, and completely ignore the fact that it's been recorded before. The reason for this, is that I do not record in order to create a library for posterity. I create recordings that are sorted by date, and I look through them when nothing is on live TV and decide what to watch. Anything more than about week old, I'm unlikely to view it (but it might happen). So if something gets recorded two or more times, no big deal for me. However, the reverse is annoying. Recording twice can be good, if one recording is trash for some reason, or if the program guide is incorrect. WMC apparently can't be configured to record a show whenever it's on, and I've been told that SD's recorder can't either. Disk space is cheap, let me fill it up.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

MatthewLundberg wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:49 am
WMC apparently can't be configured to record a show whenever it's on, and I've been told that SD's recorder can't either. Disk space is cheap, let me fill it up.
You can do that with SD's DVR but it involves a little trickery. When you delete a program from a DVR client you have two choices, delete or delete and re-record. If you choose the delete option the file gets deleted and the next time the DVR engine syncs with SD's servers it will note the episode was deleted so it doesn't record again. If you choose re-record it just deletes the recording file. If you manually delete or move a recording file from SD's recording folder through the file system the DVR system acts as if it was deleted with the re-record option. You can have MCEBuddy watch your recording folder and move the files out to a different folder so the DVR re-records those episodes again. Monitor both locations in Kodi and you are all set.

MatthewLundberg

Ken.F wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:59 pm
MatthewLundberg wrote:
WMC apparently can't be configured to record a show whenever it's on, and I've been told that SD's recorder can't either. Disk space is cheap, let me fill it up.
You can do that with SD's DVR but it involves a little trickery. When you delete a program from a DVR client you have two choices, delete or delete and re-record. If you choose the delete option the file gets deleted and the next time the DVR engine syncs with SD's servers it will note the episode was deleted so it doesn't record again. If you choose re-record it just deletes the recording file. If you manually delete or move a recording file from SD's recording folder through the file system the DVR system acts as if it was deleted with the re-record option. You can have MCEBuddy watch your recording folder and move the files out to a different folder so the DVR re-records those episodes again. Monitor both locations in Kodi and you are all set.
You misunderstand. I don't want to be able to re-record something that I've manually deleted. I never manually delete shows; I just let them be deleted when the disk is full.

I want duplicates to be recorded even if they are already on the disk. Even if they're on at the same exact time but on different channels. If it's the show I specified and it's on, record it.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Post by NYPlayer »

I guess I am lost here but what does this have to do with the Unofficial Kodi PVR Client ?

MatthewLundberg

NYPlayer wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:37 pm
I guess I am lost here but what does this have to do with the Unofficial Kodi PVR Client ?
It has nothing to do with the subject of this thread, at this time.

My name and work were mentioned above. I'm describing what I'm up to.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

NYPlayer wrote:
This.
MatthewLundberg wrote:
...I may subscribe to SD's service rather than write my own. And then I may go with the PVR described in this thread rather than my own.
8><----
One feature that I want, is to record a show if it's on, and completely ignore the fact that it's been recorded before.
8><----
WMC apparently can't be configured to record a show whenever it's on, and I've been told that SD's recorder can't either.
I'm just trying to help the guy get what he wants. Maybe it would have been better to start a separate thread but there isn't much I can do about that.

fab4272

Post by fab4272 »

I have the Android version of this software. If I install a vanilla newer version of Kodi, will it overwrite the zuki plugin?

MatthewLundberg

Ken.F wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:32 pm
NYPlayer wrote:
This.
MatthewLundberg wrote:
...I may subscribe to SD's service rather than write my own. And then I may go with the PVR described in this thread rather than my own.
8><----
One feature that I want, is to record a show if it's on, and completely ignore the fact that it's been recorded before.
8><----
WMC apparently can't be configured to record a show whenever it's on, and I've been told that SD's recorder can't either.
I'm just trying to help the guy get what he wants. Maybe it would have been better to start a separate thread but there isn't much I can do about that.
And I appreciate that. I wasn't quite clear in what I was after. I'll find a new place to discuss this behavior.

Dingo

Post by Dingo »

djp952 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:10 pm
Question from the old thread ...
Dingo wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:13 pm
Hi guys;

This is off topic but hopefully someone can help. What version of the app would work on my Solid run CUBox i4x4? (freescale i.MX6)

Thanks
Looks like you have an ARM Cortex-A9, which is a 32-bit ARM CPU. There are 2 choices, I don't know which one will be right for you, it depends on the Operating System.

Assuming the machine is running some GNU Linux-based OS, you'd want to try the "linux-armel" and "linux-armhf" variants. Try "linux-armel" first, I'm pretty sure that's the more common version. Guessing you are running Krypton?

At the download page (https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... /Downloads), go all the way to the bottom and look for these entries. Not sure why I never listed them under "GNU Linux", but that's easily rectified!

17.x "Krypton" | Linux armel | 1.2.2
17.x "Krypton" | Linux armhf | 1.2.2
Hi djp952;

Sorry for not responding sooner, been away on vacation, I installed the linux 32 bit armhf version yesterday and it appears to be working. very happy camper here. Thank you for the fine work and for helping me with a solution!

ssyspro

Post by ssyspro »

Hey Michael (djp952),

I have a favor to ask, would you mind doing a build for Kodi 18 Linux x86_64.

I have been playing around with test builds and would like to try watching tv also.

The builds I have been using if helpful for you or if others want to try are the LibreELEC Testbuilds located here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=298462

dski

Post by dski »

Tonight, I was prompted to do an update for the HDhomerun. I did it (it upgraded the firmware as well) and when I went back into Kodi (version 17.4) the guide data is all missing. I tried clearing the guide data with no success.

If I select a channel, it will play, just an empty guide. Thoughts?

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Which Kodi 18 night build works with add on

Post by GGRussell »

I downloaded zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-windows-x64-leia-1.2.2.6423.zip, but doesn't work with the latest nightly build. Get error that pvr 5.4.0 is missing. Which nightly build works? I had this working on my desktop, but power supply went out. Using my laptop til I get a replacement.