(OLD) Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

Locked
djp952
Posts: 1062
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 pm
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0
Location: Elkridge, MD

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by djp952 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:39 pm

apazrjon wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:10 pm
First off! Thank you so much for this PVR! I can't imagine trying to use HDHomerun thru Kodi without.

I just last night started running into issues with your PVR add on playing channels. Everything was working great before. I was happy as a clam! Even my wife was happy as can be, lol. Then last night something changed. When watching TV, it just stopped and defaulted back to kodi screen out of the blue. Now when I try to play a channel it just thinks for a second and then defaults back to the kodi screen I was on. It will not play the video stream. It doesn't matter if it is live cable or some of my older recorded tv shows. If I reboot my shield tv, or my win 10 box, sometimes it will start to work again. If I change the settings to "play stream directly from HDHhomerun" in the advanced settings, it will sometimes work. I have no Idea what happened and don't really know where to start. The EPG data will update fine, so the rig must be finding the HDHomerun prime, but no video. I set a static IP for all my kodi devices and the HDhomerun, but that did not fix the issue. If I disable your PVR and use the official one it will play fine. I don't even really know where to start.

Any direction would be much appreciated!!! Thanks so much!


My system:

Shield TV Nougat (record engine)
Win10 Box
Mibox

(all three using your 17.3 kodi mod)
This is a bummer for certain! The clue here I think is that the official PVR addon works and this one doesn't when "Stream directly from tuner devices" is turned on. As of v1.2, all streams go through my own custom HTTP stream implementation, whereas the official one (and versions prior to 1.2) sends a URL to Kodi and lets it do the work. I'm not sure why it would have suddenly stopped working out of the blue, though.

Is the Shield connected to the network hard-wired or over Wifi? I'm wondering if we are running into a bandwidth concern here. If the record engine is running over Wifi, consider that if it starts recording a program, that's pretty much all your Wifi bandwidth right there. If you're watching Live TV, you need 2x the bandwidth as well (1x for HDHomeRun to RECORD, 1x for RECORD to Kodi). I'll guess it's hard-wired, you probably would have run into problems before now.

I guess we can check the Kodi log, if the PVR ran into an error starting a stream it should say something in there.

On the Win 10 box, what Kodi are you running, the installable .exe or the one from Windows Store? The Windows Store one was updated to Kodi 17.4 RC1. I haven't had any problems myself with that, but you never know.

Let me think about this some more, it definitely sounds like a bandwidth or connectivity concern, need to figure out how we can narrow it down for you.

djp952
Posts: 1062
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 pm
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0
Location: Elkridge, MD

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by djp952 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:48 pm

rahduke wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:51 pm
Thank you so much for the work! I love the addon but I've been having a lot of difficulty with recorded content and live tv. Every so often the live channels slow down, go out of sync, jump ahead. Drop frames, weird artifacts all sorts of stuff. In addition, recorded content plays really badly. Mostly freezing then jumping ahead with weird artifacts and with issues skipping forward and back. I haven't made it through one of my recorded tv shows yet...

My setup is as follows. ASUSTOR NAS as my network DVR, two new shield tv's and a mibox are the clients. I have brand spanking new netgear 7800 nighthawk router that flawlessly delivers uncompressed 4k hevc movies to both shield units so my throughput is very good. My HDhomerun Prime is running off a Verizon FiOS cablecard. Live Channels works almost flawlessly and the HDhomerun prime app works as well but I still have recorded playback issues.

[s] I tested the recordings themselves by copying to a linux machine and playing the .mpg's in VLC, they work fine.[/s] I am beginning to suspect that either shieldtv has a problem decoding .mpg files or that there's something with Kodi. I'm at a loss, any help would be really appreciated.

*Edit: Spoke to soon about the files copied to a local computer playing fine. They actually don't the .mpg file is messed up somehow, get to a certain part in the video and the picture freezes but the audio continues. Skipping past it makes VLC lose track of the timing in the seek bar. Really strange...
One difference between playing the .MPG and playing through Kodi is that the PVR will use HTTP and stream the recording from the RECORD engine. The data itself is extremely similar via Live TV or Recorded TV, it's still an MPEG-TS stream. Playback of both goes through the same code, I'd expect you to see the same general problems if we had something like network or a defect in the code going on.

The .MPG being messed up could be a clue here, the RECORD engine does all the work there, Kodi/PVR Client isn't involved in anything like that. Did you install a recent update to the RECORD engine? I haven't been online much the past week or so, not sure what new stuff is kicking around.

The Live TV corruption/skipping/etc really sounds like a network problem. Perhaps something is up with the tuner units, have you tried power cycling them and the switch/router they are connected to? I'm grasping, I know, but if Live TV and your raw recordings are getting whacked out, the tuners or the connection between the tuners and the RECORD engine seem like a place to start poking around.

You guys had some weird problems today, unfortunately I have no answers right now. I haven't even watched TV for a couple days, so maybe I need to go update everything ASAP and start tinkering around. It's not likely a coincidence that both you and the previous poster are having similar problems at the same time.

Ugh. Wish I had an answer. We'll get to the bottom of it eventually. I'm pretty tenacious when it comes to bugs, if there is one causing it we will find it and squash it!

rahduke
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:38 am

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by rahduke » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:20 pm

djp952 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:48 pm

One difference between playing the .MPG and playing through Kodi is that the PVR will use HTTP and stream the recording from the RECORD engine. The data itself is extremely similar via Live TV or Recorded TV, it's still an MPEG-TS stream. Playback of both goes through the same code, I'd expect you to see the same general problems if we had something like network or a defect in the code going on.

The .MPG being messed up could be a clue here, the RECORD engine does all the work there, Kodi/PVR Client isn't involved in anything like that. Did you install a recent update to the RECORD engine? I haven't been online much the past week or so, not sure what new stuff is kicking around.

The Live TV corruption/skipping/etc really sounds like a network problem. Perhaps something is up with the tuner units, have you tried power cycling them and the switch/router they are connected to? I'm grasping, I know, but if Live TV and your raw recordings are getting whacked out, the tuners or the connection between the tuners and the RECORD engine seem like a place to start poking around.

You guys had some weird problems today, unfortunately I have no answers right now. I haven't even watched TV for a couple days, so maybe I need to go update everything ASAP and start tinkering around. It's not likely a coincidence that both you and the previous poster are having similar problems at the same time.

Ugh. Wish I had an answer. We'll get to the bottom of it eventually. I'm pretty tenacious when it comes to bugs, if there is one causing it we will find it and squash it!
Thank you so much for your response djp, it means a lot :) I haven't power cycled the HDhomerun prime or messed around with it in anyway yet, I'll try that this evening. I agree with you, I suspect there's something fishy with the tuner itself. The reason I don't think it's a wifi network issue is because the actual recordings are messed up. I've submitted a trouble ticket to silcondust and have been sending logs to them. Still waiting to hear back but I'll reset the unit, power cycle and start again. Maybe that will fix it. In either case I'll update the thread.

apazrjon
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:18 pm

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by apazrjon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:52 pm

I dont know what happened. Maybe my static ip finally took, but everything is running great now! No issues at all! Thank you for everything. Again i can't imagine using my prime asked kodi without your modded kodi. Thanks man!
djp952 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:39 pm
apazrjon wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:10 pm
First off! Thank you so much for this PVR! I can't imagine trying to use HDHomerun thru Kodi without.

I just last night started running into issues with your PVR add on playing channels. Everything was working great before. I was happy as a clam! Even my wife was happy as can be, lol. Then last night something changed. When watching TV, it just stopped and defaulted back to kodi screen out of the blue. Now when I try to play a channel it just thinks for a second and then defaults back to the kodi screen I was on. It will not play the video stream. It doesn't matter if it is live cable or some of my older recorded tv shows. If I reboot my shield tv, or my win 10 box, sometimes it will start to work again. If I change the settings to "play stream directly from HDHhomerun" in the advanced settings, it will sometimes work. I have no Idea what happened and don't really know where to start. The EPG data will update fine, so the rig must be finding the HDHomerun prime, but no video. I set a static IP for all my kodi devices and the HDhomerun, but that did not fix the issue. If I disable your PVR and use the official one it will play fine. I don't even really know where to start.

Any direction would be much appreciated!!! Thanks so much!


My system:

Shield TV Nougat (record engine)
Win10 Box
Mibox

(all three using your 17.3 kodi mod)
This is a bummer for certain! The clue here I think is that the official PVR addon works and this one doesn't when "Stream directly from tuner devices" is turned on. As of v1.2, all streams go through my own custom HTTP stream implementation, whereas the official one (and versions prior to 1.2) sends a URL to Kodi and lets it do the work. I'm not sure why it would have suddenly stopped working out of the blue, though.

Is the Shield connected to the network hard-wired or over Wifi? I'm wondering if we are running into a bandwidth concern here. If the record engine is running over Wifi, consider that if it starts recording a program, that's pretty much all your Wifi bandwidth right there. If you're watching Live TV, you need 2x the bandwidth as well (1x for HDHomeRun to RECORD, 1x for RECORD to Kodi). I'll guess it's hard-wired, you probably would have run into problems before now.

I guess we can check the Kodi log, if the PVR ran into an error starting a stream it should say something in there.

On the Win 10 box, what Kodi are you running, the installable .exe or the one from Windows Store? The Windows Store one was updated to Kodi 17.4 RC1. I haven't had any problems myself with that, but you never know.

Let me think about this some more, it definitely sounds like a bandwidth or connectivity concern, need to figure out how we can narrow it down for you.

RockerC
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:48 am

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by RockerC » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:18 am

@djp952, any comments for Matthew Lundberg posts here about additional new features and alternative fork:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=319881

He too has a fork of the original HDHomeRun PVR client addon and he is now trying to get some features submitted upstream:

https://github.com/MatthewLundberg/pvr.hdhomerun

Unfortunely it sounds as if the original PVR client addon developer have practically abandonded the project?

mxlance
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:28 am

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by mxlance » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:34 am

Very sorry if this has been covered before, I looked through both old and new threads.
I have a chromebox with libreelec 8.0.2 is this the file I need: zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-linux-x86_64-krypton-1.2.2.6423.zip
I also have a raspbery pi 3 with libreelec 8.0.2 which file to use?

Thank you for the help

djp952
Posts: 1062
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 pm
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0
Location: Elkridge, MD

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by djp952 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:51 pm

mxlance wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:34 am
Very sorry if this has been covered before, I looked through both old and new threads.
I have a chromebox with libreelec 8.0.2 is this the file I need: zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-linux-x86_64-krypton-1.2.2.6423.zip
I also have a raspbery pi 3 with libreelec 8.0.2 which file to use?

Thank you for the help
For the Chromebox, that appears to be the right one - "linux-x86_64". If you try to install it and it blows up, let us know the exact model of the Chromebox.

For the Pi 3, it depends on the underlying operating system you are running. If you are running Raspbian, you need the special "raspbian-armhf" download (see Raspbian JESSE section on download page). If you are running OSMC or other GNU-Linux operating system variants, you want the "linux-armhf" or "linux-armel" variants. It's would probably be "linux-armhf", but if you try to install that and it blows up try installing the "linux-armel" one instead.

Isn't Linux fun? :mrgreen:

djp952
Posts: 1062
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 pm
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0
Location: Elkridge, MD

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by djp952 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:56 pm

RockerC wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:18 am
@djp952, any comments for Matthew Lundberg posts here about additional new features and alternative fork:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=319881

He too has a fork of the original HDHomeRun PVR client addon and he is now trying to get some features submitted upstream:

https://github.com/MatthewLundberg/pvr.hdhomerun

Unfortunely it sounds as if the original PVR client addon developer have practically abandonded the project?
I've spoken to Matt a number of times, actually. He's a cool guy and has a lot more ambition than I do. IIRC the original PVR addon developer kind of shot him down about those changes, which wasn't very cool -- Matt put a lot of effort into that stuff and was just trying to enhance the experience for everyone.

I'm not sure what the status of the official PVR addon is at this time, but it does seem to have stagnated for a while. If the original developer has lost interest in the project, I think it would be nice if s/he turned it over to someone like Matt to move it forward.

I also think he keeps an eye on my repo, at least looks from time to time, so anything truly cool this one does I would expect Matt's to be a step up -- I'm hoping he can give you guys some of the features that I've declined to implement!

djp952
Posts: 1062
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 pm
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0
Location: Elkridge, MD

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by djp952 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:05 pm

Question for my super-awesome user base out here ... do any of you guys/gals experience the same problem with v1.2.x as this individual is?

https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerundvr/issues/12

I honestly haven't had much time to play around with this project for a couple weeks now, I'm just wondering if there is a systemic problem with the new 1.2 stream implementation that needs to be addressed or if this poor fellow is having a one-off issue. Knowing if it's more systemic (Windows/Linux/Android/all?) will help me narrow it down for him

THANKS!!

mxlance
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:28 am

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by mxlance » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:01 am

djp952 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:51 pm
mxlance wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:34 am
Very sorry if this has been covered before, I looked through both old and new threads.
I have a chromebox with libreelec 8.0.2 is this the file I need: zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-linux-x86_64-krypton-1.2.2.6423.zip
I also have a raspbery pi 3 with libreelec 8.0.2 which file to use?

Thank you for the help
For the Chromebox, that appears to be the right one - "linux-x86_64". If you try to install it and it blows up, let us know the exact model of the Chromebox.

For the Pi 3, it depends on the underlying operating system you are running. If you are running Raspbian, you need the special "raspbian-armhf" download (see Raspbian JESSE section on download page). If you are running OSMC or other GNU-Linux operating system variants, you want the "linux-armhf" or "linux-armel" variants. It's would probably be "linux-armhf", but if you try to install that and it blows up try installing the "linux-armel" one instead.

Isn't Linux fun? :mrgreen:
Thank you much for the reply
so I tried to install zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-linux-x86_64-krypton-1.2.2.6423.zip on my xubuntu 17.04 to test. Assuming I used the correct version it crashes kodi at start up.
My chromebox is our primary HTPC so i want to test it out first on the laptop
As for the raspberry pi 3 I am on LibreElec any suggestions for the correct version to install

thanks again for the help

djp952
Posts: 1062
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 pm
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0
Location: Elkridge, MD

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by djp952 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:18 am

mxlance wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:01 am
Thank you much for the reply
so I tried to install zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-linux-x86_64-krypton-1.2.2.6423.zip on my xubuntu 17.04 to test. Assuming I used the correct version it crashes kodi at start up.
My chromebox is our primary HTPC so i want to test it out first on the laptop
As for the raspberry pi 3 I am on LibreElec any suggestions for the correct version to install

thanks again for the help
It may be a different version for your laptop, is the laptop running an x86_64 build of Xubuntu on an Intel/AMD processor? You can try the linux-i386 if you'd like, that's for 32-bit Operating Systems. It won't destroy anything, it might just fail to load like you're experiencing already

For LibreELEC on the Pi 3, it should be the "linux-armhf" version -- the Pi 3 uses a Cortex-A53 CPU in 32-bit mode with HF support. LibreELEC on the Pi 3 is how I tested the armhf build :)

mxlance
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:28 am

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by mxlance » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:46 am

@djp952
thank you for the reply
checked and this is an x86_64 build of Xubuntu on an Intel processor so not sure what went wrong.
i may try reinstalling. as a wise man said "Isn't Linux fun?"

thanks for the pi info i will give it a try as soon as i get it working on xubuntu
thank you again for the help

mxlance
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:28 am

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by mxlance » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:40 am

success! I was able to install the add-on in xubuntu 17.04 – thank you
however this is embarrassing what does this addon look like?
does this appear in kodi as a standard live tv pvr addon does with traditional tv guide? If so then it is working.
Or does it have the Hdhomerun interface with the guide off to the right of the screen?
thanks

Ken.F
Posts: 2200
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:20 am
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC
Location: West Rockhill, PA

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by Ken.F » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:55 am

mxlance wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:40 am
does this appear in kodi as a standard live tv pvr addon does with traditional tv guide? If so then it is working.
Or does it have the Hdhomerun interface with the guide off to the right of the screen?
I posted screenshots of the guide in Confluence and Estuary skins on page 2 of this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=88&t=65776&start=15#p300459

mxlance
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:28 am

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by mxlance » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:30 am

Ken.F wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:55 am
mxlance wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:40 am
does this appear in kodi as a standard live tv pvr addon does with traditional tv guide? If so then it is working.
Or does it have the Hdhomerun interface with the guide off to the right of the screen?
I posted screenshots of the guide in Confluence and Estuary skins on page 2 of this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=88&t=65776&start=15#p300459
cool thank you i like it

Locked