OLD: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

fletchb1

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by fletchb1 »

Anyone having playback issues?

With live tv, if I try to FF or REV, kodi attempts to buffer (shows 0%) then the stream dies. Doesn't do it all the time, but most of the time.

With recorded tv it doesn't do that but picture freezes while sound plays. It catches up most of the time eventually.

I have disabled hardware acceleration, but no difference.

any ideas? Thanks!

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

fletchb1 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:23 am

With live tv, if I try to FF or REV, kodi attempts to buffer (shows 0%) then the stream dies. Doesn't do it all the time, but most of the time.

With recorded tv it doesn't do that but picture freezes while sound plays. It catches up most of the time eventually.

any ideas? Thanks!
Hmmm... sounds like the stream isn't keeping up with Kodi, it will only try so long before it croaks. Having playback issues with Recorded TV feels network related, recorded TV is much easier than Live streaming, but it does still need to be able to maintain the playback rate or it gets grumpy.

What type of network setup do you have going? Is the DVR engine on a hard-wired system or Wifi? For Live TV having the DVR engine hard-wired is almost critical, consider that you need 2x the bandwidth just to stream it (from the tuner to the DVR engine, and just as much bandwidth from the DVR engine to Kodi). For Recorded TV you should just need to be able to maintain about 16-20Mb/s for it to be happy.

For the "next" version, 1.1.2 or 1.2.0 or whatever I'm adding a more robust HTTP stream handling mechanism to actually catch errors, but that would only apply to Live TV. Recorded is 100% Kodi, the PVR client hands Kodi a URL to the file and says "please play this for me" :D

There may be some details in the Kodi log, especially for the Recorded TV concern. It's likely that it will report whatever it thinks went wrong. If you can grab that soon after a Recorded show locks up we may be able to whittle down what the root cause is for ya

fletchb1

Post by fletchb1 »

djp952 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:22 pm
fletchb1 wrote:

any ideas? Thanks!
Hmmm... sounds like the stream isn't keeping up with Kodi, it will only try so long before it croaks. Having playback issues with Recorded TV feels network related, recorded TV is much easier than Live streaming, but it does still need to be able to maintain the playback rate or it gets grumpy.

What type of network setup do you have going? Is the DVR engine on a hard-wired system or Wifi? For Live TV having the DVR engine hard-wired is almost critical, consider that you need 2x the bandwidth just to stream it (from the tuner to the DVR engine, and just as much bandwidth from the DVR engine to Kodi). For Recorded TV you should just need to be able to maintain about 16-20Mb/s for it to be happy.

For the "next" version, 1.1.2 or 1.2.0 or whatever I'm adding a more robust HTTP stream handling mechanism to actually catch errors, but that would only apply to Live TV. Recorded is 100% Kodi, the PVR client hands Kodi a URL to the file and says "please play this for me" :D

There may be some details in the Kodi log, especially for the Recorded TV concern. It's likely that it will report whatever it thinks went wrong. If you can grab that soon after a Recorded show locks up we may be able to whittle down what the root cause is for ya

Ok let me see if I can find the logs. The one I saw the other day had nothing in it but I could be doing something wrong.

As far as network goes : The DVR engine and Kodi client are both on a Nvidi Shield that is Ethernet and on the same switch as the HDhomerun. FWIW the SD android app is also on the shield and it's FF / REW work great so don't think it's the network. Let me see if I can dig up some logging info and will post it..

Thanks.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Post by NYPlayer »

I noticed it does not retain the Watched Status ... it marks them as watched but after a scheduled refresh for recordings it resets them back to unwatched ... is this a limitation ?

italy333333

Post by italy333333 »

fletchb1 wrote:

any ideas? Thanks!

I also have this issue and am using a Shield TV as well. I am using a USB hard drive on the Shield TV and am hard wired via gigabit network. Haven't noticed it on a recorded program but I can reproduce it on Live TV.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

NYPlayer wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:09 pm
I noticed it does not retain the Watched Status ... it marks them as watched but after a scheduled refresh for recordings it resets them back to unwatched ... is this a limitation ?
I hadn't paid any attention to this before, I'll check it out. I don't implement anything that reads/stores the "recording play count" since there is no equivalent on the DVR backend, it's not something it keeps track of. I guess I assumed Kodi would take care of that.

I know I've seen many instances where the show will have a check mark in Kodi, but I don't think I've ever noted if that persists or not. I'll look into how that works, if it's supposed to be stored in Kodi and isn't I can try to fix it and send them a request.

If Kodi has no mechanism to persist that on its own, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to add something into the PVR client. To date everything in the local database is 100% volatile, but we're talking about a simple flag here, I think I can handle that :)

How important is this to you, is this a nice-to-have or a must-have?

djp952

Post by djp952 »

fletchb1 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:50 pm
As far as network goes : The DVR engine and Kodi client are both on a Nvidi Shield that is Ethernet and on the same switch as the HDhomerun. FWIW the SD android app is also on the shield and it's FF / REW work great so don't think it's the network. Let me see if I can dig up some logging info and will post it..

Thanks.
I've been working on improving the internal stream implementation the past few days to make it good enough to handle direct tuner streaming and recording streaming moving forward to stop using a deprecated Kodi feature. I'm also playing around with various different read/write strategies to try and help you guys having the buffering concern; the root cause is starvation (Kodi wants it faster than it's being provided), the trick is how to better handle things to make Kodi happy.

The way it works now, I give Kodi as much data as I have, which may or may not be as much as it wants. My guess at this point is that it needs to find something in the stream within a certain timeframe and it will buffer if it doesn't get it. One easy change to make is to wait until I have all the data it wants (typically 32KB), the downside is that it tends to buffer at the onset for an extra second or so for some channels.

I'm working on it!

NYPlayer

Post by NYPlayer »

djp952 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:27 pm
NYPlayer wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:09 pm
I hadn't paid any attention to this before, I'll check it out. I don't implement anything that reads/stores the "recording play count" since there is no equivalent on the DVR backend, it's not something it keeps track of. I guess I assumed Kodi would take care of that.

I know I've seen many instances where the show will have a check mark in Kodi, but I don't think I've ever noted if that persists or not. I'll look into how that works, if it's supposed to be stored in Kodi and isn't I can try to fix it and send them a request.

If Kodi has no mechanism to persist that on its own, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to add something into the PVR client. To date everything in the local database is 100% volatile, but we're talking about a simple flag here, I think I can handle that :)

How important is this to you, is this a nice-to-have or a must-have?
Nice to have ... The channels sometimes not playing and buffer streaming are more important. Thank You.

danielwlewis

Post by danielwlewis »

Just found your client and it really looks great. I do have a problem, but let me give you some background first:

Previously I had been using MythTV as my backend server connected to an HDHomeRun Prime cablecard tuner. In order to try your client, I first setup a NAS server and got the SD HDHomeRun app running on my laptop, purchased a subscription from SD, installed the RECORD app in my NAS server and confirmed that I can pause, rewind, and record.

Then I downloaded your zip file (zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-linux-x86_64-krypton-1.1.1.6397.zip) and installed it on my OpenELEC 8.0.2 client that's running Kodi Krypton 17.3. Having done that, I can see the guide data, and right-clicking on an entry brings up the menu that offers options to Switch to channel, Programme information, Record, etc.

I'm having two problems:

(1) The guide data takes forever to download. I'm not sure, but I'm wondering if this might be due to an underpowered CPU in my NAS server. However, if I try the other HDHomeRun PVR client that's built into OpenELEC (which doesn't record), it will load the guide very fast.

Does this sound like a problem with the NAS server, or something else?

(2) If I select Switch to channel on the guide, nothing happens. I.e., it never actually plays the selected channel. I think that once I saw the animated busy indicator in the bottom right of the screen that indicates it is working on switching to the channel, but it only appeared for a second and then disappeared without playing the channel.

Update #1: I discovered something interesting. If the system time isn't set correctly (whether by NTP or the BIOS), the download of guide data runs much faster but no program information is displayed in the guide.

Update #2: I managed to solve problem #2 by enabling "Use broadcast for device discovery". However, if I go to "Recordings" in the Kodi menu, there's nothing listed even though I can confirm via SSH that mpg files have been recorded.

Update #3: I was able to DISABLE "Use broadcast for device discovery" and still be able to play live TV programs. The problem was that I had MANUALLY installed the record engine on my NAS server, but had not created a hdhomerun.conf file. Now that I've done that, I can play live TV. However, even though I can record, the recordings still don't appear in Kodi.

Thanks!
Dan

numus

Post by numus »

Anyone notice guide data is taking a long time to download at startup? Not sure what the cause could be.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

danielwlewis wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:40 pm
I'm having two problems:

(1) The guide data takes forever to download. I'm not sure, but I'm wondering if this might be due to an underpowered CPU in my NAS server. However, if I try the other HDHomeRun PVR client that's built into OpenELEC (which doesn't record), it will load the guide very fast.

Does this sound like a problem with the NAS server, or something else?

Update #1: I discovered something interesting. If the system time isn't set correctly (whether by NTP or the BIOS), the download of guide data runs much faster but no program information is displayed in the guide.
The more recent versions of this PVR client access full guide data from the backend and it takes a long time to load. By default Kodi will ask for 3 days of guide data, which equates to roughly 9 individual downloads per channel. So for let's say 50 channels that's 450 queries against the backend. You can reduce the amount of time this takes by adjusting down the number of days Kodi asks for, but the minimum will be 1 day, which is still about 3 downloads per channel. All guide data is loaded realtime from the Internet on demand, it's not cached anywhere but inside Kodi (not storing the data is a requirement of using it)

Older versions only accessed the super-fast 4 hour data for all channels and refreshed it periodically, this is more like what the in-built Kodi PVR does. Accessing the full guide data at the cost of load time was voted in by the users (this is the first complaint against it, actually!)

I also see that there may have been some performance issues with the backend guide data recently, that would add time. One good thing here is that once Kodi has (fully) loaded all the guide data successfully, it only asks for what it needs moving forward in time.
danielwlewis wrote:
(2) If I select Switch to channel on the guide, nothing happens. I.e., it never actually plays the selected channel. I think that once I saw the animated busy indicator in the bottom right of the screen that indicates it is working on switching to the channel, but it only appeared for a second and then disappeared without playing the channel.

Update #2: I managed to solve problem #2 by enabling "Use broadcast for device discovery". However, if I go to "Recordings" in the Kodi menu, there's nothing listed even though I can confirm via SSH that mpg files have been recorded.

Update #3: I was able to DISABLE "Use broadcast for device discovery" and still be able to play live TV programs. The problem was that I had MANUALLY installed the record engine on my NAS server, but had not created a hdhomerun.conf file. Now that I've done that, I can play live TV. However, even though I can record, the recordings still don't appear in Kodi.
This sounds like a general discovery problem of some kind going on. The PVR client tries to get information about your device(s) from my.hdhomerun.com by default, and by a network broadcast if you change that option. For any devices it finds, it then asks those devices to give it more information. The tuner(s) are asked for their channel lineups and the storage engine is asked for the list of recorded files that are available. All that data is then married up to the guide data from the Internet to link everything together.

Not being able to play a channel (regardless of how it was discovered) and not being able to see recordings definitely points to the record engine discovery data. The record engine doesn't expose information about any channels, so that is taken from the tuners. BUT: to play the channel it goes through the record engine. This gives you the ability to pause and seek. If the record engine doesn't know about the channel, it just craps out and you get what you're getting. My next version has some better logging for conditions like this, and I may put in a fallback mechanism to go to the tuner directly if this happens.

The recordings are all gathered from the record engine list as well, if it doesn't return anything or there is no record engine (from the client's perspective), nothing will ever show up.

Here's what we can do to narrow this one down for you. From a web browser, go to my.hdhomerun.com/discover. You should get back a text list of your devices - tuners and the record engine. If you don't see something with a "StorageID" value, the record engine is not known; broadcast discovery may still find it (as you've learned).

If you do get an entry with a "StorageID" value, you'll also find a "StorageURL" value. If you paste that URL into the browser, you'll get back the list of recordings the engine knows about. If this fails or doesn't return anything useful, the recordings will never show up in Kodi.

I also wanted to ask, do you have multiple RECORD engines running by chance, and have you tried disabling the firewall on the machine running the RECORD engine?

edit: I think I've typed "go to my.hdhomerun.com/discover" enough times that I should put in some kind of a diagnostic function to do that for you guys. It would be way cooler to say "click on the Discovery Diagnostics button" than having everyone play in their web browsers!

danielwlewis

Post by danielwlewis »

djp952 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:57 pm
danielwlewis wrote:
I'm having two problems:

(1) The guide data takes forever to download.........
The more recent versions of this PVR client access full guide data from the backend and it takes a long time to load. By default Kodi will ask for 3 days of guide data, which equates to roughly 9 individual downloads per channel. So for let's say 50 channels that's 450 queries against the backend. You can reduce the amount of time this takes by adjusting down the number of days Kodi asks for, but the minimum will be 1 day, which is still about 3 downloads per channel. All guide data is loaded realtime from the Internet on demand, it's not cached anywhere but inside Kodi (not storing the data is a requirement of using it)
Thanks. There are more than 200 channels in my listing, and that's after removing another 200 or so duplicates in the 1000 series for MCE and probably another 100 or so that are radio channels. I will definitely edit my Kodi configuration to reduce the number of days displayed in the guide. I also turned on the guide cache in Kodi, which seems to help.
djp952 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:57 pm
danielwlewis wrote:
Here's what we can do to narrow this one down for you. From a web browser, go to my.hdhomerun.com/discover.
Doing that displays both a StorageID and a StorageURL. But I think I now have a better idea of what's causing my problem:

The log file generated by the RECORD engine contains these ominous entries:

20170716-20:25:16 Recording: disk space available = 0GB
20170716-20:25:16 Recording: current time = Sun Jul 16 20:25:16 2017 (correction of 0s)
20170716-20:25:16 Recording: MSNBC Live 20110321 [20170716-2000] not starting due to limited disk space

It looks like the linux system running my OpenMediaVault NAS server isn't reporting the disk space even though the drive where the HDHomeRun share is located has about 700 GB of free space! 'Wish I knew how to get it to report the available disk space correctly! :-)
I also wanted to ask, do you have multiple RECORD engines running by chance, and have you tried disabling the firewall on the machine running the RECORD engine?
Only 1 RECORD engine. And AFAIK, the firewall in my NAS server is disabled.

Thanks!
Dan

djp952

Post by djp952 »

For the folks encountering streaming issues on the nVidia Shield (and for anyone else that wants to try it), I have a test version available with the new stream implementation. Krypton only, and there is no Linux ARM build available (GCC 4.9 on ARM doesn't implement standard library 'futures' - will need to figure out a workaround for that)

edit: This build also no longer supports the DS Player for Windows Kodi fork. AFAIK it still requires using a deprecated Kodi feature that the client stopped using in preparation for Kodi "Leia" and to enable better support for streaming directly from the tuners.

LINK REMOVED -- this particular version was a bit of a disaster :) Will post new link in a new response when available.

• New internal stream implementation, bigger buffer, higher performance, and uses less CPU%
  • Recorded TV streams are now done with the internal stream rather than Kodi
  • The "Direct tuning" Advanced Option is now dynamic (no restart of Kodi) and also now uses the internal stream implementation
  • Streaming HTTP errors detected and reported when opening or seeking a stream
  • Seek requests from Kodi that can be handled from the stream buffer are done without stopping and restarting
The buffering problem on the Shield isn't something I can test, but there seem to be two possible causes. The first is what I'm hoping is wrong and that's not streaming the data into Kodi fast enough. The new implementation may help that, as long as the stream isn't dead it will always return data to Kodi, it's now incapable of a zero-length read. The only performance boundary is the rate at which the data is coming in. The second possible cause is that Kodi isn't handling it as a "real-time" stream. All previous versions of the PVR client say "yes" to that question every time, and this one detects it based on the kind of stream (Live vs. Recorded). If that isn't working we will have to look inside Kodi. I can say that even on a hard-wired Core i7 if that flag isn't obeyed Kodi will stream for about 1 second and then buffer, which sounds a LOT like what you guys are reporting here.

I was hoping to fix up a couple other things with the new stream but ran into roadblocks. Being able to tell Kodi that a real-time stream is being time-shifted would have been nice (it puts a cool "TIMESHIFT" indicator above the seek bar), but that didn't work out for a number of reasons. I also tried to make playback of an in-progress recording a little less annoying on the seek bar, but turns out the RECORD engine is sending a live stream with no length and Kodi needs to know the length for recordings. So it works about the same as it did, seeking on an in-progress recording still sucks. I'm looking into adding a custom demuxer to address these annoyances and also better handle Kodi's annoying habit of thrashing around during a seek, which can cause a stop and restart of the stream 5-6 times just to seek once.

Let me know if there any difference for you guys, positive or negative!
Last edited by djp952 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYPlayer

Post by NYPlayer »

New Release freezes after a while locks up Kodi have to exit to home on my Shield and force stop Kodi app.
Full Log.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3vxA ... WxLNGp1TWc

Code: Select all

NOTICE: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86019, channels: 2, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through)
16:12:35.448 T:138514846800  NOTICE: Trying to open: 48000 samplerate 12 channelMask 4 encoding
16:12:35.450 T:138514846800  NOTICE: CAESinkAUDIOTRACK::Initializing with: m_sampleRate: 48000 format: AE_FMT_FLOAT (AE) method: PCM stream-type: PCM-STREAM min_buffer_size: 32832 m_frames: 2052 m_frameSize: 8 channels: 2
16:12:35.523 T:138019538000  NOTICE: Using GL_TEXTURE_2D
16:12:35.524 T:138019538000  NOTICE: GL: Using MediaCodec (Surface) render method
16:12:35.524 T:138019538000  NOTICE: GL: NPOT texture support detected
16:12:36.043 T:138634589264 WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer
16:14:14.742 T:138546222160 WARNING: Previous line repeats 2 times.
16:14:14.742 T:138546222160  NOTICE: AddOnLog: HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client: bool OpenLiveStream(const PVR_CHANNEL&): streaming channel 794 via url http://10.0.0.130:36186/auto/v794?ClientID=03b1e9b3-98d2-4bff-8e17-9982b2841080&SessionID=B0E93C6CBCE419B2E3EB71702B4F02E9
16:14:15.011 T:138546222160  NOTICE: PVRManager - PerformChannelSwitch - switched to channel 'IDHD'
16:14:15.016 T:138546222160  NOTICE: Creating Demuxer
16:14:15.020 T:138546222160  NOTICE: Opening stream: 0 source: 256
16:14:15.023 T:138546222160  NOTICE: Creating video codec with codec id: 28
16:14:15.023 T:138546222160  NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Using codec: H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10
16:14:15.029 T:138546222160  NOTICE: Opening stream: 1 source: 256
16:14:16.279 T:138546222160  NOTICE: Opening stream: 0 source: 256
16:14:16.280 T:138546222160  NOTICE: Creating video codec with codec id: 28
16:14:16.302 T:138546222160  NOTICE: Opening stream: 1 source: 256
16:14:16.311 T:138636661840  NOTICE: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86019, channels: 6, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through)
16:14:16.945 T:138634589264 WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer
16:14:25.872 T:138636661840 WARNING: Previous line repeats 2 times.
16:14:25.872 T:138636661840  NOTICE: CVideoPlayerAudio::Process - stream stalled
16:14:27.607 T:138019538000   ERROR: CDVDMediaCodecInfo::ReleaseOutputBuffer ExceptionCheck index(1), render(1)
16:14:33.865 T:138634589264   ERROR: Previous line repeats 121 times.
16:14:33.865 T:138634589264 WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer
16:14:33.905 T:138019538000   ERROR: CDVDMediaCodecInfo::ReleaseOutputBuffer ExceptionCheck index(1), render(0)
16:14:33.921 T:138019538000   ERROR: CDVDMediaCodecInfo::ReleaseOutputBuffer ExceptionCheck index(1), render(1)
16:14:34.030 T:138019538000   ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
16:14:34.030 T:138019538000   ERROR: CDVDMediaCodecInfo::ReleaseOutputBuffer ExceptionCheck index(1), render(0)
16:14:34.078 T:138019538000   ERROR: CDVDMediaCodecInfo::ReleaseOutputBuffer ExceptionCheck index(1), render(1)

NYPlayer

Post by NYPlayer »

Here is a log with Debug turned on.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3vxA ... k4xYk9memc