OLD: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

Rickt1962

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by Rickt1962 »

Last night the guide wouldn't update so ended up going back to Zoltan PVR. Today is a new day ! Alright went back in enabled yours then changed in settings the Stream Live TV Channels to off. Looked in the guide the time was correct but empty. Turned on Logger rebooted..
Kodi came back on with OSMC Screen and not Escary ! Hmmmmm even the logger was turned off ! Put everything back turn on logger rebooted all came back fine except now the TV is no longer working and the guide is blank with correct time. Before with a blank guide I could still watch a channel, not now.

log http://paste.osmc.io/lojapedoso

Update ^^^ Got TV working by enable Stream Live TV Channels on ! But the guide is still blank

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 »

Ken.F wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:37 pm
djp952 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:27 pm Right. I thought it was Jarvis based on the screenshot. Krypton has the text embedded in the xml file like you found
I changed from the new default skin back to Confluence. I get frustrated when settings aren't where I'm used to seeing them.
I love the NEW Escary skin ! In live TV when you click "back" it shows the last 5 TV channels you watched ! Great Channel go back option ! Better then Cable which only allows you jump once back and forth

lovemyram4x4

Post by lovemyram4x4 »

djp952 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:43 pm
lovemyram4x4 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:57 pm The TV shows section is far more richer, especial with the skin I run(Titan). You far more options for posters, banners, fan art, etc. and it also has TV tunes, extended info, etc. I like using list veiw with banners for my Tv shows(see bellow).
Got it. TV Shows is a media library like Videos, Music, Movies. It has no direct relationship with the PVR functions from what I can discern. Media libraries point to locations on your PC or network and Kodi manages everything for you. The PVR subsystem is a special addon for TV and/or Radio support; it's a different beast altogether.

I think the way they would expect you to use TV Shows would be to point a video media library at the HDHomeRun share on the NAS (or Windows box, or locally, or wherever you have it) and tell it that they are TV shows so the scraper can use the directory and file names to go get the information for you. As the HDHomeRun RECORD engine adds recordings they would automatically show up if you set the Kodi library for auto refresh.

How that would work with deleting things, I'm not really certain. If you manually delete the file(s) from the NAS, which is what would happen with a media library, I assume that the HDHomeRun RECORD engine would figure that out eventually and no longer report it as a valid recording. I also assume there will be a time delay of some manner between the manual deletion and the engine no longer reporting it. The only bad thing that should occur would be if you click on a recording via the PVR that's already been deleted you'll get an error message from Kodi.
The problem is that on channels like sho, hbo, usa amc, etc. that re-air episode several times anything wasn't deleted via hdhomerun get recorded again. This is what I'm looking to stop, so if you're sending commands to hdhomerun from Kodi Live TV recordings for it to delete and re-record I don't see why those commands couldn't be added something like after watch so when it does it's thing hdhomerun DVR can also be in the loop.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

lovemyram4x4 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:39 am The problem is that on channels like sho, hbo, usa amc, etc. that re-air episode several times anything wasn't deleted via hdhomerun get recorded again. This is what I'm looking to stop, so if you're sending commands to hdhomerun from Kodi Live TV recordings for it to delete and re-record I don't see why those commands couldn't be added something like after watch so when it does it's thing hdhomerun DVR can also be in the loop.
Oh, I'm down with it, but it's not up to me that would be a Kodi feature request. It would be a very nice thing to suggest to them, but I might recommend taking an approach of proposing a PVR functionality change to include the features you like from the TV Shows library rather than suggesting the PVR clients be hooked into the library. If the "TV" (PVR) UI provided the cool stuff from the library it would be a lot less effort for the Kodi developers and all PVR clients could benefit. The PVR client(s) already expose the bulk of the information I think you would need (series title, episode numbers, etc), and of course they implement functions like delete.

I think it's certainly worth the time to ask, anyway. They are working on Kodi 18 now, so the proverbial iron to strike with should be pretty hot right now.

The folks that can yea/nay such things can be found at Kodi's "PVR and Live TV Support" forum: http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167. I expect you'll get a little pushback, but that's the Internet for ya :) I'd certainly like to see all the cool features from the library/media scrapers be used for PVR, I imagine lots of others would too!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Rickt1962 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:43 am Last night the guide wouldn't update so ended up going back to Zoltan PVR. Today is a new day ! Alright went back in enabled yours then changed in settings the Stream Live TV Channels to off. Looked in the guide the time was correct but empty. Turned on Logger rebooted..
Kodi came back on with OSMC Screen and not Escary ! Hmmmmm even the logger was turned off ! Put everything back turn on logger rebooted all came back fine except now the TV is no longer working and the guide is blank with correct time. Before with a blank guide I could still watch a channel, not now.

log http://paste.osmc.io/lojapedoso

Update ^^^ Got TV working by enable Stream Live TV Channels on ! But the guide is still blank
I'll see what I can figure out, I can't for the life of me get that behavior out of the guide here on any platform. Ugh.

Would you mind sending me a copy of your PVR database file? I'd like to see exactly what's in there for the device and guide tables. Something is clearly going awry for you. I'll PM you with some additional info. I don't like that it's behaving so differently for you than me and would love to get to the bottom of it!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

For the Android peeps ... I finally have APKs you can try! No root access required.

These are merely modified versions of the official Kodi APKs as downloaded from kodi.tv. In theory, the only changes are that the HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client has been added and the APKs have been resigned with my own key. You MUST manually uninstall any existing Kodi before trying to install one of these otherwise it won't do it since the key is different. Like the other PVR Clients, you will also have to go into the Addon Browser and enable "HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client" after installation.

You'll still need to know which one to download since this isn't driven by the Android Store. Most everyone would need an ARM build -- "armeabi-v7a" is the 32-bit ARM version, "arm64-v8a" is the 64-bit ARM version. "x86" would apply to an Intel Atom device. If in doubt try the "armeabi-v7a" one, that will be the right one for the bulk of Android devices out there.

NOTE: URL below should be considered volatile; they won't live here forever. If this method works out I need to find a more permanent place to store them. If the link is broken, please check the GitHub wiki as that should mean that I've come up with a more final solution and the links will be provided there.

Test versions of Kodi Android APKs with "HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client" Version 1.0.5 pre-installed:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgEGEEVzGNq-iaJN6eUs78A-ebATjw

• zuki-test-kodi-16.1-Jarvis-armeabi-v7a.apk
  • zuki-test-kodi-16.1-Jarvis-x86.apk
  • zuki-test-kodi-17.1-Krypton-arm64-v8a.apk
  • zuki-test-kodi-17.1-Krypton-armeabi-v7a.apk
  • zuki-test-kodi-17.1-Krypton-x86.apk

lovemyram4x4

Post by lovemyram4x4 »

I'll test your Android arm and x86 apk's in the next day or so. If they work I may just run the Kodi 17 arm64(at least for watching recorded/live TV since stock Kodi works fine ac3 passthru) until SPMC 17 gets released since I don't feel like having to re-setting up both of my shield TV's right because I'd have to unlock their boot loaders so I can root them.
djp952 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:53 pm

Oh, I'm down with it, but it's not up to me that would be a Kodi feature request. It would be a very nice thing to suggest to them, but I might recommend taking an approach of proposing a PVR functionality change to include the features you like from the TV Shows library rather than suggesting the PVR clients be hooked into the library. If the "TV" (PVR) UI provided the cool stuff from the library it would be a lot less effort for the Kodi developers and all PVR clients could benefit. The PVR client(s) already expose the bulk of the information I think you would need (series title, episode numbers, etc), and of course they implement functions like delete.

I think it's certainly worth the time to ask, anyway. They are working on Kodi 18 now, so the proverbial iron to strike with should be pretty hot right now.

The folks that can yea/nay such things can be found at Kodi's "PVR and Live TV Support" forum: http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167. I expect you'll get a little pushback, but that's the Internet for ya :) I'd certainly like to see all the cool features from the library/media scrapers be used for PVR, I imagine lots of others would too!
Personally it wouldn't make any difference to me if they made the Live TV recordings support all the same customization as TV shows since I also add content from other places. Having PVR clients hooked in the library may help me either since I use an add on to delete shows that does the deleting on it's own, that plus it easy to modify the python code I thought it would be easier to to add whatever the commands hdhomerun needs to see to do it's deletion.

Yeah, I'd definitely expect push back from them, they don't seem to like to anything that's helpful for recorded TV. People have been bugging them to add the functionality of the after watch add on for years.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:53 pm The PVR client(s) already expose the bulk of the information I think you would need (series title, episode numbers, etc)...
In your PVR client in the Recordings section I do see series episode names but there are no episode numbers listed. Is there any way to show the episode numbers with episode names?

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Ken.F wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:10 am
djp952 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:53 pm The PVR client(s) already expose the bulk of the information I think you would need (series title, episode numbers, etc)...
In your PVR client in the Recordings section I do see series episode names but there are no episode numbers listed. Is there any way to show the episode numbers with episode names?
The season and episodes numbers are reported to Kodi. It could be that the RECORD engine didn't have them in the metadata or just a display thing in Kodi. I'll double check for ya when I am in front of Kodi again later to make certain that is working, but I think it's just a "where in the world does Kodi show me this" kind of thing. They definitely show up somewhere, but I forget where exactly, and it may differ based on the skin being used.

stickly

Post by stickly »

Awesome add-on! One issue however :oops: *deleted*

Edit: Nevermind, bad setting I had for ALL video in Kodi, fixed it! Great Add-on, I love it! Your posted kodi apk worked for me on FireTV.
Last edited by stickly on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

numus

Post by numus »

Just installed this to test.. WOW this PVR client is awesome! I like how it shows next recording also (can possible have more than 1 listed here?)

How are updates handled? Do we have to manually reinstall the addon everytime you update or do you have a kodi repo that we can use?

I am guessing I wont be able to install this on a firetv tho since it requires root.

stickly

Post by stickly »

numus wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:32 pm Just installed this to test.. WOW this PVR client is awesome! I like how it shows next recording also (can possible have more than 1 listed here?)

How are updates handled? Do we have to manually reinstall the addon everytime you update or do you have a kodi repo that we can use?

I am guessing I wont be able to install this on a firetv tho since it requires root.
You can install on your non-rooted firetv by installing one of the versions of kodi from the link in the post 5 above yours. ;)

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Lots of posts! Will check them all ASAP. For this one, yeah ... I can absolutely add that as an option. Any particular format you'd like to see? Something like "S01E05 TITLE" or "TITLE (S01E05)" or something else?

djp952

Post by djp952 »

djp952 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:57 pm Last night the guide wouldn't update so ended up going back to Zoltan PVR. Today is a new day ! Alright went back in enabled yours then changed in settings the Stream Live TV Channels to off. Looked in the guide the time was correct but empty. Turned on Logger rebooted..
Apologies for re-quoting a post that was already quoted, but I noticed in the log that you are using OSMC 2017.02-2; I only really tested on the latest one (2017.03-1) and also the final Jarvis-based version a bit, never this particular one. I'm reinstalling the Pi with OSMC 2017.02-2 to make sure we're on the same baseline. Not that it would affect anything here, but you have the MPEG-2 and VC-1 license keys installed? I just want to mirror your setup as closely as possible.

I think ultimately I'm going to need to add some extra log messages indicating more about what did or didn't happen during discovery; just knowing that it was "successful" isn't getting us anywhere! :shock:

(For what it's worth, this is a big reason I shy away from submitting to Kodi, I feel like I can barely support you guys properly, having thousands of potential users .. omg)

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 »

djp952 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:32 pm
Lots of posts! Will check them all ASAP. For this one, yeah ... I can absolutely add that as an option. Any particular format you'd like to see? Something like "S01E05 TITLE" or "TITLE (S01E05)" or something else?
Dr. Ken S01E01
2 Broke Girls-S06E03-And the 80's Movie -
New Girl-S06E16-Operation Bobcat -