OLD: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

timnop

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by timnop »

djp952,

I am trying to install the zip file krypton-1.0.7/zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-android-aarch64-krypton-1.0.7.6301.zip in Kodi 17.1 on an Amazon Fire TV. I get an error that says;
Addon couldn't be loaded.
Can't load shared library.
The addon loads anyway, but when I try to enable it, I get the same message and it won't enable. I also tried the ARM version with same error, but it did not install.

Can you help?

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

johnny_swindle wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 6:29 am
So should I go ahead and try the VLC option or some how remove the "stale information" from the add-on database? I can do a clean install of Kodi should that be necessary.
The simplest way to nuke the database is to just delete the file, it will be recreated from scratch the next Kodi startup.

You are on Windows, yes?

Regular Windows install:
  • Type %APPDATA% in the Explorer path box (or Win+R and type it)
  • Drill down into Kodi\userdata\addon_data\pvr.hdhomerundvr
  • Delete hdhomerundvr-v1.0.db
Windows Store install:
  • Type %LOCALAPPDATA% in the Explorer path box (or Win+R and type it)
  • Drill down into Packages
  • Drill down into the folder that starts with XbmcFoundation.Kodi
  • Drill down into LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\pvr.hdhomerundvr
  • Delete hdhomerundvr-v1.0.db
> Linux is similar, it will start in a hidden ".kodi" directory off your home directory
> On Android, it's hiding on the SDCard, I'd have to look up where :)

Let me know if this works, this would be a nice option to have available through Kodi somewhere, a "reset database" command. It never occurred to me that such a thing might be useful until now!! (edit: I opened an enhancement issue on GitHub so I won't forget to add this option sometime)
Last edited by djp952 on Tue May 23, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

timnop wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 9:54 am
djp952,

I am trying to install the zip file krypton-1.0.7/zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-android-aarch64-krypton-1.0.7.6301.zip in Kodi 17.1 on an Amazon Fire TV. I get an error that says;
Addon couldn't be loaded.
Can't load shared library.
The addon loads anyway, but when I try to enable it, I get the same message and it won't enable. I also tried the ARM version with same error, but it did not install.

Can you help?
I can try, but I don't think you'll like the answer :D

FireTV is Android-based, so in order to install the Kodi addon directly from the .zip file, you unfortunately need root access to the /data partition to copy some files. I have the process written up here, it's kinda evil:

https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... on-Android

The problem is that Android doesn't allow applications (Kodi, in this case) to load executable code from user storage. To work around that, the Kodi folks build the app with all the addons pre-installed. The evil process above essentially pre-installs a copy of the addon into Kodi, so when you Enable it, that copy will be loaded and it works.

There is more than one drawback to this method, other than needing to hack your way into Android, you would also have to repeat the same steps again if you wanted to update the PVR (or any PVR for that matter).

The Kodi folks were at one point working on a way to package PVRs and other binary addons as .APK files that could be installed from the store or side-loaded, but I haven't seen much activity on that, they may have given up on that plan.

ALTERNATIVE

A less evil, although still not ideal, alternative available is to use the .APKs I started making recently.

Pros: Same Kodi code as the official .APK, just with the addition of this PVR client. No root access or hacks required. To build it I actually pull apart the official .APK and add files, it's not a rebuild/recompile of Kodi.

Cons: My .APKs are unofficial forks of Kodi, so any official updates via the Play Store won't apply. To update to a new Kodi version you'd have to wait for me to package one up, which may or may not be timely.

If you'd like to try the APK route, you need to uninstall the official Kodi app first. Then, sideload whichever .APK is appropriate from here:

https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... ndroid-apk

I think which APK is 'right' depends on what version of the FireTV you have. Sounds like the v2 is aarch64, I think the v1s were regular arm. If you pick the wrong one, it will just yell at you a little and try the other :) Definitely not going to be x86!

Anyway, let me know how you fare. I'm sorry there aren't better options right now for Android users. The .APKs have helped a lot, but still less than perfect.

Geez, I sure do talk a lot, don't I?

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Quick note for everyone, there is a new version (1.0.8) posted out on GitHub. It was ready last night, but Microsoft SmartScreen was blocking the downloads; I had to wait for Microsoft to whitelist the new GitHub download storage server.

This is a really minor update, and I can't say that I recommend updating from 1.0.7(a). All this update does is filter out DRM channels when building the Channel Groups (Favorites, HD and SD) to avoid some error messages in the Kodi log file. What was happening is that DRM channels are filtered out from the main channel list, but I was still trying to add them to these channel groups, so Kodi was getting upset about it.

https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... /Downloads

(Thanks FiOS for the free HBO this summer that I can't actually watch through Kodi, but it's how I noticed this defect)

timnop

Post by timnop »

Thanks for the fast reply and help. I have just finished installing the APK and all looks good so far. Now I will try to figure out the options. I have scheduled a couple of test recordings from the guide. I didn't see an option to record series. I will poke around and find it eventually. I really like the guide grid, it makes easier for wife approval. :lol:

djp952

Post by djp952 »

timnop wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 2:17 pm
Thanks for the fast reply and help. I have just finished installing the APK and all looks good so far. Now I will try to figure out the options. I have scheduled a couple of test recordings from the guide. I didn't see an option to record series. I will poke around and find it eventually. I really like the guide grid, it makes easier for wife approval. :lol:
Got ya covered: https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerundvr/wiki/How-To

It's worth reading the "Timers and Timer Rules" page as well, the way HDHomeRun schedules things is quite different than how Kodi expects it to be, that page tries to explain the differences and limitations.

I think it's written down somewhere in that Wiki, but I actually recommend scheduling series through the official HDHomeRun addon (or Windows 10 app) when available. It's much much much easier to search for the series you want that way than waiting for it to be in the Kodi EPG. Once you set "Record Series" through the real HDHomeRun app, it will show up as a Timer Rule in this PVR client (eventually, or restart Kodi to refresh), and you can tweak all the rule settings the way you want (specific channel, start/end padding, record all/new/recent, etc).

Let me know if you run into any snags, or if the documentation is inadequate :)

timnop

Post by timnop »

Well...I have discovered a snag or two. I have my main Fire TV Kodi all set now, starting with your apk and then adding in all my favs. I tried to use "adblink" to create a backup and then restore to my other Fire TV's and sticks. It didn't work as planned. All of the rest of my setup was duplicated at the other FTV, but without the PVR... :x One other snag, I installed Pin Sentry and it blocked the dvr, so I uninstalled it and it worked again after restarting Kodi.

Looks like I will have to install the apk on each FTV and then set up each one individually...bummer. If you know a better way, please let me know. I will wait for your reply.

Thanks!

johnny_swindle

Post by johnny_swindle »

The simplest way to nuke the database is to just delete the file, it will be recreated from scratch the next Kodi startup.

You are on Windows, yes?

Regular Windows install:
Type %APPDATA% in the Explorer path box (or Win+R and type it)
Drill down into Kodi\userdata\addon_data\pvr.hdhomerundvr
Delete hdhomerundvr-v1.0.db
This did the trick! All is well. I did have one system crash while attempting to update database. But I simply deleted the "suspect" database and replaced it with a working one from another system.....issue resolved.

Enjoying this add-on.

Johnny

rah32d

Post by rah32d »

Just updated to Kodi 17.1 / OpenElec 8 on a Rasberry Pi 2, and getting an error when I try to install the HDHomerun add-on:

"Add-on couldn't be loaded. Can't load shared library."

Not sure what the problem is.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

timnop wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 5:24 pm
Well...I have discovered a snag or two. I have my main Fire TV Kodi all set now, starting with your apk and then adding in all my favs. I tried to use "adblink" to create a backup and then restore to my other Fire TV's and sticks. It didn't work as planned. All of the rest of my setup was duplicated at the other FTV, but without the PVR... :x One other snag, I installed Pin Sentry and it blocked the dvr, so I uninstalled it and it worked again after restarting Kodi.

Looks like I will have to install the apk on each FTV and then set up each one individually...bummer. If you know a better way, please let me know. I will wait for your reply.

Thanks!
Not really; you could possibly find and copy the Kodi settings folder from one device to the another, but in reality it's probably faster to just set each one up individually. There is an .xml file that controls all the PVR settings, but again they only take a few seconds to configure -- probably not worth the aggravation.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

rah32d wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 6:58 pm
Just updated to Kodi 17.1 / OpenElec 8 on a Rasberry Pi 2, and getting an error when I try to install the HDHomerun add-on:

"Add-on couldn't be loaded. Can't load shared library."

Not sure what the problem is.
Best guess is the wrong version of the .zip file, Linux gets angry when you try to load code for a different platform. OpenELEC 8 on a Pi 2 is probably "armhf", but I would have to install it to be certain. Which .zip file did you download?

You can try both the "armhf" and "armel", one of them is likely the right one. Trying to install the wrong one doesn't do anything but raise an error (as you found out!), it should be harmless to try more than one.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

johnny_swindle wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 6:28 pm

You are on Windows, yes?

Regular Windows install:
Type %APPDATA% in the Explorer path box (or Win+R and type it)
Drill down into Kodi\userdata\addon_data\pvr.hdhomerundvr
Delete hdhomerundvr-v1.0.db
This did the trick! All is well. I did have one system crash while attempting to update database. But I simply deleted the "suspect" database and replaced it with a working one from another system.....issue resolved.

Enjoying this add-on.

Johnny
Nice! I will definitely add a 'reset database' command next go-around. Sorry for the trouble in the first place!!

lovemyram4x4

Post by lovemyram4x4 »

I'm not sure how long it actually takes(I'm guess that sometime after the initial load of guide data that is loaded on start up) but pretty much anytime I try to open the guide Kodi either locks up or the guide is blank(more often locks up). I also stop seeing the heads up notifications for recordings started/ended(not that they really mean anything since they are for any rule that's currently in the guide even if not being recorded and they don't pop up at the correct time)

End of Kodi log after trying to open guide when Kodi locked up has about 10 lines saying:
hdhomerun pvr client: void discover_devices_task(constscalar_condition<bool>$): initiated local network discovery
hdhomerun pvr client: void discover_devices_task(constscalar_condition<bool>$): scheduling next device discovery to initiate in 3(6)00sec

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 9:25 pm
Best guess is the wrong version of the .zip file, Linux gets angry when you try to load code for a different platform. OpenELEC 8 on a Pi 2 is probably "armhf", but I would have to install it to be certain. Which .zip file did you download?

You can try both the "armhf" and "armel", one of them is likely the right one. Trying to install the wrong one doesn't do anything but raise an error (as you found out!), it should be harmless to try more than one.
I use your OSMC .zip for my Raspberry Pis on LibreELEC. That should also work on OpenELEC.

timnop

Post by timnop »

One more newly discovered problem. First my setup. HDHR Prime on Spectrum cable. Windows 10 PC hosting HDHR setup and recordings. My main TV's are using Amazon Fire TV's second generation. When viewing live TV directly from the HDHR app all is good. When viewing live TV within Kodi and the HDHR addon it's also good. When viewing live TV with the PVR addon it has become unwatchable with pixelation and audio skipping, but recordings play just fine. This is a real bummer for me, because we like the grid guide for deciding what to watch next when we decide to change channels. Any ideas what the problem could be?