Kodi and W10 App integration for DRM channels

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

dknife

Kodi and W10 App integration for DRM channels

Post by dknife » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:53 am

Since we have DRM channels now on Windows 10, which of course will never come to the Kodi plugin, I wanted to integrate it with Kodi so that it remains my only interface for all my needs on my HTPCs. This turned out to be quite easy and works perfectly under Krypton final.

First create an application shortcut for HDHomeRun. You can do this by browsing to the Applications special folder in windows. Copy/paste this into an Explorer window

%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}

With that window of applications open, create a folder under Documents or wherever you want to place the shortcut and drag the HDHomeRun app icon to that folder where it will create a link.

Now under Kodi, you need to install the Advanced Emulator Launcher. Built primarily for emulator roms, it has the ability to launch applications as well. The original Advanced Launcher is no longer maintained and doesn't work properly under Krypton.

Once installed, go into the AEL program in Kodi and create a new Category "Windows Apps" or similar.
Use Context button on that new category folder and Add New Launcher.
Select to create in Windows Apps category
Select standalone launcher
Navigate to the folder in windows you created containing the shortcut to HDHomeRun and select the shortcut. No special parameters or settings are required that I can tell.

Now that you have the launcher added, test it by opening it from the AEL. If it opens in windowed mode, set it to fullscreen and it will launch that way in future.

To set it up in your Kodi menu, it's dependent on your skin. You can use Context on the launcher in AEL and add it to Favorites. Once it's a favorite you should be able to add it to the main menu or a sub menu depending on your skin. I use Aeon Nox so it was easy to add as a Custom item on the main menu, selecting the launcher from favorites as the item.

Done!

dknife

Re: Kodi and W10 App integration for DRM channels

Post by dknife » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:18 am

OK one flaw with this setup. There's no option within the program to quit and thereby return back to Kodi. The only way to close the application is via mouse/keyboard.

nickk can an option to close the W10 application be added to the interface? :D

dknife

Re: Kodi and W10 App integration for DRM channels

Post by dknife » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:22 am

TVJunkie198 wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:21 pm
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=63932
uh ok, they can move this thread if they want. I am part of the Kodi community and developing a way to use the W10 app in Kodi? :P