Kodi Setup Instructions

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

DReinman

Kodi Setup Instructions

Post by DReinman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:35 pm

I have to be missing something...
I have purchased an HDHomeRun Prime, Got the CableCard, Paired it up, and I can see live TV in Kodi & the HDHR app.

I want PVR/DVR functionality, so I purchased the DVR Service ($60). Next I activated the DVR service with my tuner from the link on the receipt. The HDHomeRun Setup, on the DVR tab, says "HDHomeRun DVR account: active".

I installed the "hdhomerun_windows_20161206beta1.exe" on my Windows 2008 server. Installed it, says active still, and checked the box for "Use this PC for making recordings" and set a UNC path to the share for recorded content. I even checked services.msc to ensure the HDHomeRun Record service was running. Startup Automatic (Delayed Start). Restarted the service as a double check.

There is no change in the PVR addon for Kodi (on my Window 10 laptop, same network/subnet). I'm running v1.0.12 from the Kodi repo.
No change in the configurable options, still only 4 hour EGP, & it says "The PVR backend does not support timers." when trying to create a recording.

From other post on the forum, I expected it to be working will full 14 day EPG, and recording options.
Assistance from someone more knowledge and experience is need.

Thanks.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Kodi Setup Instructions

Post by signcarver » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:13 pm

First, you don't set an UNC path for record.... must be local for machine with engine.

Once you do that, restart and ensure a log was written to the local path you told it to record to.

2nd what do you mean by PVR add-on... that name is a 3rd party project. The version number also looks strange as latest official add-on version is 2017.1.2

DReinman

Post by DReinman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:59 am

I have identified the issue.

The HDHomeRun Kodi addon is not actually a PVR addon, it is a VIDEO addon.
There is a third party addon in the PVR section on the Kodi repo: PVR HDHomeRun Client. This is not the "Real" addon.
I found the correct Kodi addon in the VIDEO section of the Kodi Repo. Your version number proved very useful... Thanks.

Being PVR/DVR I expected it to be in the wrong section (PVR addons). It does not integrate with Kodi PVR/DVR commands/features.
It is simple a front end (VIDEO) interface that runs in Kodi. (Very similar to the standalone HDHomeRun App)

Thank you for the assistance.

praxidice

Post by praxidice » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:06 pm

The combination of personal experience and judicious googling have revealed that HDHomeRun Dual devices have impossibly flaky DHCP functionality to the point where they cannot be relied on to accept IP addresses offered by routers. Occasionally they might work for a while, but at the very best its a hit and miss affair. The only known halfway reliable network connection possible is a direct link between PC and HDHomeRun, which necessitates allowing the device to realize its obsession with 169.254 IP addresses. Now for the possible solution. Linux and Unix operating systems are infinitely more configurable than Windoze with multiple LANs, consequently I'm wondering if the combination of a mini-LAN just for the HDHomeRun device and a second (wired or wireless) interface connecting to the 'proper' LAN would work. My idea is to let the HDHomeRun do its thing with the video signal and effectively hand that signal over to Kodi, which isn't likely to resort to the moronic shenanigans typical of HDHomeRun devices. One of the reasons I've tried to come to grips with HDHomeRun is the 'claimed' relatively simple EPG setup relative to the more fiddly Kodi arrangement, but in view of the DHCP inanity, it appears that messing with EPG is likely to be less of an annoyance than attempting the demonstrably impossible with HDHomeRun IP addressing. Comments and feedback from experts would be greatly appreciated.

RF2016

Post by RF2016 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:57 pm

praxidice wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:06 pm
The combination of personal experience and judicious googling have revealed that HDHomeRun Dual devices have impossibly flaky DHCP functionality to the point where they cannot be relied on to accept IP addresses offered by routers. Occasionally they might work for a while, but at the very best its a hit and miss affair. The only known halfway reliable network connection possible is a direct link between PC and HDHomeRun, which necessitates allowing the device to realize its obsession with 169.254 IP addresses. Now for the possible solution. Linux and Unix operating systems are infinitely more configurable than Windoze with multiple LANs, consequently I'm wondering if the combination of a mini-LAN just for the HDHomeRun device and a second (wired or wireless) interface connecting to the 'proper' LAN would work. My idea is to let the HDHomeRun do its thing with the video signal and effectively hand that signal over to Kodi, which isn't likely to resort to the moronic shenanigans typical of HDHomeRun devices. One of the reasons I've tried to come to grips with HDHomeRun is the 'claimed' relatively simple EPG setup relative to the more fiddly Kodi arrangement, but in view of the DHCP inanity, it appears that messing with EPG is likely to be less of an annoyance than attempting the demonstrably impossible with HDHomeRun IP addressing. Comments and feedback from experts would be greatly appreciated.

Just some feedback / food for thought.
I have had HDHomeRun Prime using / obtaining an IP address from a Windows DHCP server since I had it installed. Never had an issue with address assignment or HDHRP obtaining the address. Actually have it now as a resevered DHCP address so HDHRP keeps receiving the same DHCP assigned address.

praxidice

Post by praxidice » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:40 pm

RF2016 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:57 pm
praxidice wrote:

I have had HDHomeRun Prime using / obtaining an IP address from a Windows DHCP server since I had it installed. Never had an issue with address assignment or HDHRP obtaining the address. Actually have it now as a resevered DHCP address so HDHRP keeps receiving the same DHCP assigned address.
Tried assigning the DHCP address as a static one, and even linked the address to the HDHR MAC, but no good. I've had a suggestion that the firmware is a likely suspect and to try downgrading. Unfortunately it appears that SD pulled some shenanigans back in 2015 that resulted in blocking any firmware downgrades after that time. Judging from forum posts, there is good reason to suspect 2016xxxxx.bin firmware is borked whereas anything prior to 2015 is possibly OK. I've got two earlier firmware .bin files but the HDHR won't accept them even after renaming them to 2017xxxx.bin. What swifty could I pull to convince the HDHR's to agree to earlier firmware ?

RF2016

Post by RF2016 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:37 am

praxidice wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:40 pm
RF2016 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:57 pm
praxidice wrote:

Tried assigning the DHCP address as a static one, and even linked the address to the HDHR MAC, but no good. I've had a suggestion that the firmware is a likely suspect and to try downgrading. Unfortunately it appears that SD pulled some shenanigans back in 2015 that resulted in blocking any firmware downgrades after that time. Judging from forum posts, there is good reason to suspect 2016xxxxx.bin firmware is borked whereas anything prior to 2015 is possibly OK. I've got two earlier firmware .bin files but the HDHR won't accept them even after renaming them to 2017xxxx.bin. What swifty could I pull to convince the HDHR's to agree to earlier firmware ?

Thinking about what you have said, and also the one issue I have experienced lately, is that I just recently changed all my network switch port setting on any port that relies on HDHRP to AUTO on both Network Speed and Duplex....as what I had found is that the Windows box, Android TV box don't stutter the TV stream or TV stream locking up and then playing again.....I contribute this to either The Zyxle switch, or the HD Homerun Prime network chipset..... ITs been Night and Day for me, after changing the ports to AUTO....instead of trying to fix it to either 1000 or 100, and Duplex....No streaming hiccups...

So overall this could very well point to the network chipset on the HDHRP, as I know all network card, manufactures always have updates by software, or firmware updates during the manufacturing process.