TVJunkieMOD (Record, Request, Playback, Favorites +)

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Re: TVJunkieMOD (Record, Request, Playback, Favorites +)

Post by clarkss12 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:46 pm

elabra wrote:How do you get this HDHOMERUNMOD to test?
First post is the download link.

markburnet

Post by markburnet » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:10 am

This is an absolutely wonderful app. I purchased the hardware based only on the capabilities of the app. SD owes you a commission.
Do you know if anyone has produced a short list of keyboard control functions (such as changing channels and pausing live tv). I want my wife to use it but she will not use mouse controls.

Thanks again.

lcremer

Post by lcremer » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:00 pm

Has there been any thought at giving the ability to save channel streams into super favorites? I have found that using the tvjunkie mod add-on does a better job with video quality and audio syncing than the HDHomerun pvr add-on does. I would love to be able to tie the streams from the tvjunkie add-on into a custom guide, and I think the easiest way to do that is placing those streams in super favorites. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

TVJunkie198

Post by TVJunkie198 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:48 pm

@lcremer

If super favorites allows you to manually add links, you should be able to add channels from your HDHomerun device(s).

http://<hdhomerun local ip addr>:5004/auto/v<channel#>?

example:
hdhomerun local IP: 192.168.1.10
channel #: 4.1
link: http://192.168.1.10:5004/auto/v4.1

wtg

Question re: TVJunkieMOD

Post by wtg » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:44 pm

Question about this mod... does it use the HDHomeRun's DVR features to initiate recording via the remote recording service - in this case installed on my NAS - or does it do the recording itself to whatever directory the mod is configured to use?

I ask because I assumed it used the new DVR features but then noticed these comments in the OP, emphasis mine:
1) Consider your device/network capabilty
All tuners in use (live, and/or recording) are transferring all data to the device running the add-on.
If recording to a network path, all the recorded data is also being transferred.
This makes it sound like the plugin is doing the recording itself and not using the HDHR DVR services, but then again OP hasn't been updated in a long time either.

TVJunkie198

Post by TVJunkie198 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:32 pm

@wtg

That's correct. The mod doesn't use the official HDHR DVR backend/service. The recording is done within the mod (mod must be running) to the recording path you set within its configure options. (History: I began modifying the official add-on prior to SD announcing the DVR service on kickstarter (added up/down channel surfing). I was in the process of adding recording features to the mod about the time SD announced the kickstarter DVR project.)

The mod has been updated often enough, no? v23 update was ~4 months ago. Funny you say that though, since I'm about to post v24 in a few minutes. :)

edit: having issue updating 1st post.. (no problem editing this one though (?)) once I can, i'll post the v24 update

clarkss12

Post by clarkss12 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:26 am

Were you able to get the v.24 posted yet? Your Dropbox still shows v23 when I click to download.

wtg

Post by wtg » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:25 am

TVJunkie198 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:32 pm
That's correct. The mod doesn't use the official HDHR DVR backend/service. The recording is done within the mod (mod must be running) to the recording path you set within its configure options. (History: I began modifying the official add-on prior to SD announcing the DVR service on kickstarter (added up/down channel surfing). I was in the process of adding recording features to the mod about the time SD announced the kickstarter DVR project.)
Thanks for confirming that. I thought so but wasn't positive.
TVJunkie198 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:32 pm
The mod has been updated often enough, no? v23 update was ~4 months ago. Funny you say that though, since I'm about to post v24 in a few minutes. :)
My comment was no criticism. The last update time on the OP say "Last edited by TVJunkie198 on Sat Jun 20, 2015", which suggested it hadn't been updated for a year, though the thread comments seemed to suggest otherwise. Thanks again for the quick response.

TVJunkie198

Post by TVJunkie198 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:18 am

@clarkss12
haven't been able to yet. when i click preview or submit, it reports in red at the top: "You must enter at least two poll options". ..? does the forum think im creating a poll? i messaged nick to see if he's seen it.

@wtg
thanks for pointing out that edit date, which is definitely not correct.

hmm.. maybe that has something to do with me not being able to edit the post. (?) or its not happy w/the styling in the post, i dont know. had no issues editing it prior to the forum update.

TVJunkie198

Post by TVJunkie198 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:54 pm

I updated the MOD. link updated on first post.

** 2015.11.9 TVJunkieMODv24**
- Added Timeshifting
- Added Timeshift Seekbar
- Added IP Camera Support
- Added Configure Setting: Quit Kodi if Live TV Paused (>30secs)
- Fixed bugs

Update Details:

- Added Timeshifting
- Added Timeshift Seekbar

Kodi's timeshifting is not available to video addons. That said, the timeshifting in TVJunkieMOD is a work around to provide timeshifting capabilities to live TV viewing (pause/RW/FF). Instead of directly playing the channel stream, the mod addon records the channel stream to temporary files and plays it back as it records. Instead of a circular timeshift buffer (ex last 30 minutes), the timeshift window is to the extent of the currently selected channel's timeshifted title (or hourly if no channel/title info). Timeshift will retain the currently playing title while future titles are written.

Configuring Timeshifting (disabled by default)
To enable, go to configure options: select/highlight "Enable Timeshift", and set a "Timeshift Recording Path" (local device directory recommended). I recommend not altering the default "Timeshift Initial Delay" and "Timeshift Added Delay" values. These delays are needed to delay the playback of timeshift files. Delays are configurable in cases where default values might need increased (or reduced if Kodi allows). If the values (in seconds) are too low, the timeshift files will struggle/fail to play. "Timeshift Initial Delay" is indicated as the red mark on the timeshift seekbar. "Timeshift Added Delay" is added delay when replacing/rerecording a temporarly timeshift file in certain cases.

Limitations:

#1) Timeshifting video length/duration info is incorrect when paused/seeking. The video player (available to Kodi video add-ons) only gets the duration of a video once upon starting/playing it, and will update the total duration one second at a time if the video continues playing beyond the originally known length/duration. For example: timeshift mode is on, and you start watching a channel. If you pause it soon after it begins playing, Kodi might indicate that you're at the 5 second mark of a 20 second video. Understand that the video is still recording, and will play beyond the 20 second mark. Once you play beyond that mark and pause it, to the 35 second mark for example, Kodi will indicate that you're at the 35 second mark of a 35 second video. That's because that's as much as Kodi knows about the video. When timeshifting, I'd suggested focusing more on the info the timeshift seekbar provides than what Kodi reports about the currently recording files' length/duration.

#2) Fast Forward works better than Jumping Ahead. Relates to #1. Jump ahead seek options (via right button, or from side bar) are also limited by what Kodi knows about the videos length/duration. At most, jump seek will move ahead in the file to the extent where Kodi knows is the files length/duration. Fast Forwarding updates the known duration/length of the timeshift file as it moves beyond what it knows. That said, fast forwarding is the better option for advancing ahead in the timeshift video.

#3) Save timeshift files locally. When I tried saving the timeshift files to a network/smb folder play/pause worked, but seek (ff/rw) was kinda broken. Storing locally didn't show any issues. Record to local external storage if using a limited internal storage media/android box.

#4) If you fast forward and play the timeshift video too close to realtime, the video player will struggle to play the video properly. And if you fast forward to realtime, the player will reach the end of the videos file, and stop. With that known, that is why there is a 10-15 second delay upon starting the MOD w/timeshift on, and when changing channels. This allows the playback to begin playing at a point where the video player is happy. I've added an red portion to the timeshift seekbar to indicate that playback danger zone. As long as you keep the green bar behind the red zone it shouldn't be an issue. If you get too close and it begins to get choppy, rewind/jump back and resume playing from there should fix it. And if you fast forward to the end while that title is still recording, that file will re-start then jump back to the end of file before the danger zone.

- Added IP Camera Support

In configure options, I've added a seperate tab for 'IP Cameras'. In that tab you can add up to 4 IP Cameras. Each camera setup has three configure options.
1) Enable/Disable
2) The label you'd like to call that camera (ex. Front Door)
3) The address of the IP Camera

When enabled, each camera will be accessible from the esc/back/return menu within TVJunkieMOD. IP Camera is streaming only (no recording or viewing recordings, etc)

- Added Configure Setting: Quit Kodi if Live TV Paused (>30secs)

I added this field to help close Kodi properly for certain devices (Fire TV boxes/sticks). When watching a live channel stream using Kodi/TVJunkieMOD on a Fire TV (timeshift disabled), I've noticed that if you press the 'home' button (to return to Fire TV Home), then jump back into Kodi the stream is paused. Sometimes Kodi might be auto closed by the OS if there's not enough memory to keep it running in the background. But in the case that it remains in the background for a longer time, the user would return to Kodi and the stream will appear paused, but is long broken by then. The add-on would be better off reloading properly. So to help in doing so, enable this configure option, which quits kodi if live tv is paused for >30 seconds (kills kodi in background).

clarkss12

Post by clarkss12 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:58 am

Thank you again for this awesome MOD, will be testing it later today.

bds3151

Post by bds3151 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:30 pm

I can't get timeshifting working. When I turn this on, it starts and reports timeshifting and then says all tuners are in use. As soon as I turn this feature off, it starts and plays live tv fine. I have the timeshifting pointed to a sd card on Fire TV 4k box and recording going to a NAS.

TVJunkie198

Post by TVJunkie198 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:43 pm

@bds3151

see if any files were created in that timeshift path, (hash.info, tshost.info, ts_0_0.mpg) if not maybe it doesn't have write permissions to that folder(?)

googling, i see the fire tv micro sd can only be formatted fat32. not sure if underscores are invalid characters. but maybe it's not happy with the 4 character filename extensions (.info files). try creating a file with a similar extension in that path. Also, fat32 limits file size to 4GBs (that'd be a secondary issue)

curious, have you tried setting it to the nas path? any issues ff/rw as I saw (mention in my last post, issue #3)?

bds3151

Post by bds3151 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:06 am

I changed both the timeshifting and recording paths to the NAS and the picture now comes up but the video is pixelated and stutters a lot. I couldn't get to test the FF/Rew features as the video would not play well enough to test. Any ideas on fixing this? The NAS and network is fast enough as I run videos from the NAS regularly. It seems you were correct about the FAT32 limitation as the cause of timeshifting not working at all to the sd card slot.

TVJunkie198

Post by TVJunkie198 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:32 am

in the configurations, try increasing the timeshift initial delay value. the kodi player doesn't play the recording well if too close to real time. what version of kodi are you using?

next update ill try adding a fix for the fat32 issues