Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by djp952 »

Griffo wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:22 pm I see a few similar posts but couldn't seem to find a "fix".

I'm running Kodi on an nVidia Shield TV Pro. Live TV and Guide works fine, but I cannot see any recordings. Previous suggestions to change the discovery method in the client no longer seem to be an available option (?). I can confirm it works perfectly with the same PVR client in Kodi on Windows + all my HDHR clients.

Any thoughts?
This means the Shield isn't able to find the RECORD instance using UDP broadcast. There are a lot of reasons that can seemingly happen :) The HTTP discovery *should* fix it (or completely break everything). The option you're looking for is in the PVR addon settings ("Configure"), under the Advanced section. Toggle the "Use HTTP cloud-based discovery" setting to ON. After you change that, the addon will automatically trigger a new discovery so you should find out within a few seconds if it worked :)

If that doesn't work still, there may be an error present in the Kodi log that could shed some light on the problem. It's most likely a legit "I don't see this", but you never know!

Originally HTTP discovery was the default, but I got (rightfully) talked out of that behavior. The setting was tucked away under Advanced and harder to find when it's meaning changed :)

sirlou

Post by sirlou »

Thanks so much for looking into this! That would be better than what i experience now, which is zip, zilch, nada. ;)

Is there some way to provide the EPG data separately, such as with Schedules Direct, which I sub to for use with WMC?

Lou

djp952

Post by djp952 »

sirlou wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:19 pm Thanks so much for looking into this! That would be better than what i experience now, which is zip, zilch, nada. ;)

Is there some way to provide the EPG data separately, such as with Schedules Direct, which I sub to for use with WMC?

Lou
Sadly no, Kodi doesn't have a means for an alternative "scraper" and its not something that fits in with this addon. The entire point is to stay in the HDHR ecosystem :)

Joeyrub

Post by Joeyrub »

I just saw the posts here about the signal meter in the info screen. So I updated the add-on to the latest version. But I can't find that info screen at all! Is that screen only available from a PC? Cause I'm using Kodi on my TV, and the only info bar I see, shows the info for the show playing. But there is no data at all...
Is that info screen available from TV app? Or only from a PC?
If it is possible from TV, please tell me how to find it? Thanks
(Btw I recently discovered a great little shortcut, that when I press n hold the Play\pause button, the info bar pops up. Love it! But again, it only shows the show info, no data)

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

Joeyrub wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:16 am Is that info screen available from TV app? Or only from a PC?
If it is possible from TV, please tell me how to find it? Thanks
It should work on a TV but you need a keyboard to press the letter "o" key, or you can bring that screen up using Kodi's Kore mobile app by long-pressing the info "i" button next to the D-pad.

Joeyrub

Post by Joeyrub »

Thanks for replying. Hmmm I'm surprised there isn't some trick to bring it up with the regular tv remote... Kinda disappointing.

Joeyrub

Post by Joeyrub »

[quote=Ken.F
It should work on a TV but you need a keyboard to press the letter "o" key, or you can bring that screen up using Kodi's Kore mobile app by long-pressing the info "i" button next to the D-pad.
[/quote]

Oh wow! Thanks for telling me about the Kodi Kore remote app, it's awesome! Got it setup in seconds, and ya your right, on this remote, the info button serves like i thought it should on the interface itself. I tried long clicking that info button hoping it would bring up the data, but alas it didn't. But on this Kore remote it does exactly that, a short click brings up the regular show info banner, but a long click does bring up the data screen.
Oh well.... It's an option at least. Heck I personally wish the signal meters would be on the regular show info banner, like the old school boxes had (like my Channel Master CM7400). But at the least I'd wanna be able to access it from the TV remote or the interface itself. The regular tv remote does have some buttons do things when long clicked, so I don't see why not make this available by a long click too? Let's hope...

djp952

Post by djp952 »

sirlou wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:31 am Re-asking, per your kind offer, for info on getting my legacy HDHR3-US working with Kodi on Ubuntu 20.04. Thank you for any help you can provide!

If not doable I am now looking at upgrading to the HomeRun Flex, which I understand should work fine with the official add on.

Lou
sirlou, I'm afraid that while I think this is still "doable" I formally need to tap out on this one. So much of this addon relies upon being able to do things like tune virtual channels without regard to the modulation/frequency/program of that channel that my attempt to deal with it has gotten out of control. I can't in good conscious risk breaking the addon for everyone else. While SiliconDust has gone above and beyond to provide a cloud-based discovery solution for legacy devices, that solution simply does not provide enough data to also make it seamless with a solution that was designed for non-legacy devices.

At this point I think it would be actually be easier to build out an addon that exclusively deals with legacy HDHR devices and actively ignores non-legacy devices :)

I apologize for any false hope here, but while I can make it work (here), I cannot justify the level of change and risk to the existing userbase. The legacy devices just don't give me the data/support I need to integrate this the way I was hoping to.

You can totally hate me now, but have you considered trying to acquire a more modern device? They aren't all that expensive, and would seemingly solve the root of the problem. Not free, but sometimes we need to accept that moving on from a device is the only viable path forward (thanks Google and Windows 11 - lol)

djp952

Post by djp952 »

OK, I don't throw in the towel very easily (I try, but it bothers me too much). Looking into an alternative approach for legacy tuners that shouldn't be able to affect anything already in here :)

Joeyrub

Post by Joeyrub »

Wouldn't it be nice, if the regular info banner just had 3 tabs, to change to by going sideways? So like pressing the info logo on interface, brings up the show info banner, then if you go right, is PVR info, right again, player process info.
I'm just really annoyed that this info (mainly the signal meters), is available so close at hand, yet no way to bring it up, only by opening the phone app (Kore) to bring it up. It's annoying because it's right there, yet not. Lol.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Joeyrub wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:17 am Wouldn't it be nice, if the regular info banner just had 3 tabs, to change to by going sideways? So like pressing the info logo on interface, brings up the show info banner, then if you go right, is PVR info, right again, player process info.
I'm just really annoyed that this info (mainly the signal meters), is available so close at hand, yet no way to bring it up, only by opening the phone app (Kore) to bring it up. It's annoying because it's right there, yet not. Lol.
That's the kind of thing you could bring up on the Kodi forums? Having a way to execute a page down with just a D-Pad remote would be cool too :)

djp952

Post by djp952 »

djp952 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:55 pm OK, I don't throw in the towel very easily (I try, but it bothers me too much). Looking into an alternative approach for legacy tuners that shouldn't be able to affect anything already in here :)
Guess what I got to work ... legacy tuners. Never give up, never surrender! There are a couple kinks to work out still, but I'll be darned, my old HDHR2-US is alive and well and can pull in an amazing number of channels being hooked up to an FM radio antenna!

This will end up as an "alpha" test build in the next day or so. Victory?

djp952

Post by djp952 »

I'm sorry folks, I've been apparently sitting on this for a couple days, I must have clicked the wrong button when I thought I posted it (and you all think I can code - LOL!)

Build 7941 - v3.6.0~beta1 (Leia) / v4.6.0~beta1 (Matrix)
  • Update cURL library to version 7.79.1
  • Add support for legacy HDHomeRun tuner devices
Add support for legacy HDHomeRun tuner devices
This is all that's truly new here, but if it works out it should be a game changer for folks that have the older HDHomeRun devices. There are two scenarios. 1) Adding a legacy device into an existing setup that already has modern devices and/or the DVR engine. 2) A setup that exclusively has legacy tuners. In scenario 1, the legacy device(s) will be used as a last resort only. In scenario 2, the addon will bypass trying to access a DVR engine or modern HTTP tuner and go straight for the legacy device(s).

There are a couple few caveats that you should be aware of, neither of which should be show-stopping. I opted to not block the one-time message you get telling you can't get EPG data without a DVR subscription for setups that exist solely of legacy devices. I mean, the message isn't wrong :) The other gotcha is that on Matrix the new Signal Status stuff is not available when using a legacy device (this feature isn't in Leia at all).

Provided I didn't booger this up I think it may do the trick for sirlou and any other folks that are stuck on the older devices to at a minimum give you a way to use Kodi for playback purposes.

Oh yeah - this is important: For devices like the HDHR2-US that have multiple inputs it's IMPERATIVE that they be connected to the same source. The cloud-based lineup data doesn't appear to differentiate between tuner 0 and tuner 1.

Downloads (OneDrive): https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgEGEEVzGNq-jJ1JLHD ... w?e=WXw2mn

As per usual, installing a beta build does not exclude your Kodi installation from auto-updating to the final version when it's published, and you can re-install the previous formal version through the Addon settings page :)

sirlou

Post by sirlou »

Thanks for all your hard work to get the legacy tuner working! I really appreciate it!

I'll be happy to test it out this weekend!

sirlou

vmstek

Post by vmstek »

Going to give this a try on my Vero4K+ today!
The pvr-hdhomerun-client would flash to a blank screen for just a couple of seconds after every channel tune, on Leia and Matrix...and it does not support recording.
I am also very impressed by the Yatse remote app for Kodi.

...guess I missed the part about no channel guide without a DVR subscription.